Ravenclaw Common Room

Options

Replies

• alohashley
    alohashley Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I haven't weighed myself for two days now even though I have counted my calories and been working out. I have gone over calories for the past week on average 300. So instead of eating 1200 a day I have been eating around 1500. Avoiding the scale because I am afraid if I don't see any result that I will get so depressed. Afraid to see scale at the same or above. AH!
  • kellyisloved
    kellyisloved Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I haven't weighed myself for two days now even though I have counted my calories and been working out. I have gone over calories for the past week on average 300. So instead of eating 1200 a day I have been eating around 1500. Avoiding the scale because I am afraid if I don't see any result that I will get so depressed. Afraid to see scale at the same or above. AH!

Ack, I've been there before, but honestly, you might end up being surprised. Sometimes increasing your calories to something a little more comfortable for your body can help you lose weight. But to be truthful, I would recommend biting the bullet and weighing in! If you're better off than you thought, it might make you stress less and help keep you motivated. If you have gained or aren't where you want to be, you'll have the certainty of it to push you to make the right choices. :)

On the other hand, I'm one of the rare folks who tend to weigh daily and enjoy it that way, so others might say to give it until your weigh-in day to climb on.

Anyway, that's my two cents. :)
  • TwiFan5
    TwiFan5 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hi there Ravenclaws I have been a very slack member lately so am going to start again next Monday but will weigh in now on here so that I can find it when I go to put it in the spreadsheet.
    My weigh in is 104 ibs and can't remember what my last one was, I had taken a break as I was busy working and trying to get my body used to been off the pill again now if I can start been able to eat with out feeling sick and if I can stop feeling so damn tired I will be happy. :)
  • WhatsEatingYou
    Options
    Remind me when weigh in is here I thought Tuesday, but I saw someone's comment about 'weekend weigh-in'?

Is there anyone else here tracking food on mpf who just KNOWS it doesnt' all get in there? I have it set to losing '2 pounds/week' because I KNOW if I aim for that amount of cal there are more cal getting in there anyway. Last night, I went to close out my day and it said I Was eating too few calories. I sat back and thought for a while adn remembered eating a banana and an apple with pb earlier that hadn't been logged. I'm just not on the computer all day to keep adding things, you know? So I ended up (as far as I know) right by my calorie count. I'm sure there are days I show being by my calorie count that I go over by a little. There's probably a mobile app for this, but since it's a little laborious to add foods on the regular site I imagine entering on a smartphone would be a nightmare..how to do you keep track of things you eat when you're not by the computer?
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    For the week of 1/8:
    Food: 4/5
    Exercise: 0/5
    Spirit: 2/5

House Points: 230

Despite my success during my latest annual physical, I've been doing some reading about women's health.

Did you know:

Heart disease is the number one killer of women.

http://heartdisease.about.com/od/womenheartdisease/a/womenrisk2.htm

More reasons to get to a normal weight and be physically active. :heart:
  • kellyisloved
    Options
    Remind me when weigh in is here I thought Tuesday, but I saw someone's comment about 'weekend weigh-in'?

Is there anyone else here tracking food on mpf who just KNOWS it doesnt' all get in there? I have it set to losing '2 pounds/week' because I KNOW if I aim for that amount of cal there are more cal getting in there anyway. Last night, I went to close out my day and it said I Was eating too few calories. I sat back and thought for a while adn remembered eating a banana and an apple with pb earlier that hadn't been logged. I'm just not on the computer all day to keep adding things, you know? So I ended up (as far as I know) right by my calorie count. I'm sure there are days I show being by my calorie count that I go over by a little. There's probably a mobile app for this, but since it's a little laborious to add foods on the regular site I imagine entering on a smartphone would be a nightmare..how to do you keep track of things you eat when you're not by the computer?

You can weigh in on any day Friday through Monday, but you want to try to keep the same day each week (so that you have a full 7 days of stuff to report). So as an example, if you want to weigh in tomorrow, just try to stick to Saturdays moving forward. :)

Yeah, it can be tough sometimes to remember what you had that day if you haven't kept track throughout. I don't have any trouble logging during the day using my phone, but I'm sure that would be different for all of them. I use the app for the android phones, and it's pretty easy for me. :)

I also noticed that it got waaaay easier for me after I'd done it for a while. I still use the tracker for other stuff, but calorie-wise, I could probably give a rough estimate of where I was any any point during the day, or at least know about how much I have left just because once you've done it so many times, it seems a lot more natural.

Oh, and btw, sorry to hear you aren't as supported at home as you should be. :/ My husband just does the on and off thing. When he's on, he's full force and a little overboard. When he's off, he will eat a whole pizza in a sitting as a 'cheat day' that continues on for about five days and doesn't seem to understand why his weight won't stay consistent, etc. I've tried telling him some tips, but he's not much for listening, lol. It would have to be difficult living with the situation you have, though. I hope you take the others advice and just keep doing what you need to do for you. :D He'll either catch on or he won't, but either way, you'll be better off by the end of it.
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

Try planning your day in advance and logging all of your foods ahead of time. Then you'll know for sure that you are on target and you won't have to worry about recalling everything you ate throughout the day.

I actually think that the phone app is a little bit easier for logging than the site is. I just wish I could post to the boards on the app!

Have a great day everyone!

BTW - great job to our new HoH's!! Everything is really coming together now - thank you so much! :flowerforyou:
  • KMay1221
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I was just sorted into Ravenclaw and look forward to getting to know you all. Just a little about me:

. I have 3 hairy boys, 2 chocolate labs and a cocker spaniel, and 2 furry girls, one Tuxedo and one gray cat.; they keep me fairly busy at home. I have a great, though at times stressful, job working at a Law Firm. I stay fairly busy. When I'm not taking care of work or the house you can usually find me on Xbox or PS3; although lately I've spent my nights at the gym. =)

I was a cheerleader, gymnast, lifeguard, and all around active person through my 20's. Thanks to the many sports and activities I enjoyed and a car accident in 2005, I now suffer from arthritis in my lower back and a degenerative disc in my neck. For the past 6 years or so I have let this keep me from staying in shape. I turned 30 in May and decided that I wasn't going to let any of that slow me down anymore. I'm determined to get back in shape.

I joined MFP to hold my self accountable and to make new friends to support me and so that I can return the favor. I'm trying to be more of an extrovert as lately it seems that I have become a bit of a recluse.

I started working out - going to the gym - Jan 2, 2012, went everyday last week and caught a cold this week that started in my head and has decided to camp out in my chest. I've been taking it easy this week and following the old saying "In the head, get out of bed - in the chest, stay and rest." Hopefully I will be back to normal by next week and can get back to the gym.

Anywho, I look forward to getting to know you all.

=)
    Kris
  • lottee1000
    lottee1000 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Will catch up with everyone later, but for those of you weighing in now, these are this weeks challenges...

Food challenge:
    Pre-package healthy snacks in individual portions (like sliced apples or veggies, almonds, low-fat cheese, etc.) to have available throughout the week - and then actually use them :laugh: One OWL for each day you eat your pre-packaged snacks instead of reaching for unhealthy, high-cal snacks.

Exercise challenge:
    January is a great time to try something new. Gyms have new discounts to entice everyone with fitness based New Year resolutions, people have more time now the Christmas rush is over, and all the newspapers and magazines have new fitness articles in. Mixing up your exercise routine is also a great way to revitalise your weight loss. Your challenge this week is to try something new- you could try a new class, get a new DVD, or find a different routine to follow during your weights workout. You could just try running outside instead of on the treadmill, it's worked for me! One OWL for every day you do something that you've never done before this week (so you can pick one new thing and do it 7 times, to get 7 points, or do 7 new things).

Spirit Challenge:
    Every day you post on this thread you get one OWL.

Inter-house challenge:
    Don't forget to log how many minutes exercise you do each week to help us beat the others houses!

Have a good week everyone!

Lottee X
  • lottee1000
    lottee1000 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    And welcome to Pandora55, welcome to Ravenclaw, the best house around!!!:wink:
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    happy saturday Ravenclaw. i've been waaaaaay of track the past several weeks. never got back to it after illness and holidays. i'm hoping to be able to get back to it before i do too much damage. i will do weigh in tomorrow as usual just for the accountability, but it's gonna be ugly!!!!
  • kellyisloved
    Options
    happy saturday Ravenclaw. i've been waaaaaay of track the past several weeks. never got back to it after illness and holidays. i'm hoping to be able to get back to it before i do too much damage. i will do weigh in tomorrow as usual just for the accountability, but it's gonna be ugly!!!!

You can do this! It's like Day 1 all over again. Took me foreeeeever, but I'm just now starting to feel like I've got the swing back. We're cheering for you! :)
  • kellyisloved
    Options
    Well, at least I didn't get stuck or gain like I did last week. I weigh myself daily, but not to beat up or get depressed, just because it helps me to learn the rhythms so that when I do weigh myself, I don't freak out at a high number I wasn't expecting. Anyway, all that to say that I've been stuck at 220 with only slight deviations for a long time. Was very glad to see it start dropping again over the past couple days (I was even a good girl and drank all my water on a couple!). Lost 1.2 since my last weigh-in, so I'm still only less than a pound down since start of January, but it's a loss! So yay!

Glad to see so many Ravenclaws back and posting, too. We missed you. :)
    And welcome to Pandora55! Happy to have you at Hogwarts with us. :flowerforyou:
    For our challenge-makers -- awesome! I love them. I'm going to make myself some packs today to see how it goes!

For everyone, don't forget to weigh in and track your points!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnaZ2CBZ3MgTdGxWaWE5OVU0dkQzRE9hRko0S0huT3c#gid=0
    (Oooh, the challenges are easier to find now - thank you, Sue!)
  • azsuzi
    Options
    (Oooh, the challenges are easier to find now - thank you, Sue!)
    My pleasure! :bigsmile:

I seem to have been in major binge mode all week. Yesterday was awful. I thought I could behave with animal crackers as an easy go-to snack. 14 cookies for 110 calories seemed like a reasonable and satisfying serving. Well - let me tell you - I cannot seem to stop once I start with them! :sad: Last night, I sat down with the whole package next to me while we watched a movie. I logged 2 servings in my diary, but I suspect it was probably more. My pants are starting to feel snug around the middle again. I've got to get this under control soon!

Has anyone here ever tried hypnotherapy? I'm really interested in it, but skeptical too. Any thoughts?
  • azsuzi
    Options
    @Sami - I think you did a very good job of debating your view. I've always wanted to try vegetarian because I love veggies and they are much lower in fat than most meats. But I love meat. And I love animals too. Sometimes it bothers me, but let's face it: humans are omnivores - we were made to eat meat.

I wonder what it is about humans that makes us so judgmental of others? We're all here on this planet just doing the best that we can. Why do we feel compelled to judge our fellow humans when they don't live, eat, love and worship exactly the same way that we do? I struggle with this daily in my own life - I judge my husband, son, co-workers - even strangers. Why? When I realize that is what I am doing I say to myself "thou shalt not judge" (saying it that way just seems more profound than saying "don't judge" - lol). My hope is that this exercise will chip away my judgmental self and allow me to become a being capable of unconditional love. I believe that this is the greatest journey I will take in my life - and it will be the most difficult. Peace. :flowerforyou:
  • WhatsEatingYou
    Options
    Treated myself to a delish dinner out last night at a new sushi place here - I love eating out by myself, I don't feel pressured to eat too much (like, 'what do you mean that's all you're getting?') and I don't end up tempted to eat kid-leftovers. (I'm not tempted by half-eaten things, but my kids are pretty little - my three year old will sometimes order and then leave EVERYTHING on his plate because he's suddenly 'full'!) I got a sashimi appetizer and a roll, love that 'dessert' is half of a little mochi ice cream ball - the perfect half-sweet bite without being a big thing. Couple pounds down this morning too, not bad for the morning after eating out!!

I can't remember my exercise this week, that can't be good - thank goodness for the tracker, will go in and see what I logged! lol

Looking forward to a busy 'work' week, lots of appointments the next couple of days (appointments=income!) and I have the day off from teaching Hebrew School today b/c of Martin Luther King Day, even though the public schools my kids attend added that back INTO the calendar after we missed several days of school in Oct/?Nov for a freak snowstorm that caught everyone off guard.

Wishing everyone an active week :)

Lynn Anne
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    I wonder what it is about humans that makes us so judgmental of others? We're all here on this planet just doing the best that we can. Why do we feel compelled to judge our fellow humans when they don't live, eat, love and worship exactly the same way that we do? I struggle with this daily in my own life - I judge my husband, son, co-workers - even strangers. Why? When I realize that is what I am doing I say to myself "thou shalt not judge" (saying it that way just seems more profound than saying "don't judge" - lol). My hope is that this exercise will chip away my judgmental self and allow me to become a being capable of unconditional love. I believe that this is the greatest journey I will take in my life - and it will be the most difficult. Peace. :flowerforyou:
    Sue, you are so right and you said it so well!! you really are an amazing person :flowerforyou: in reference to your previous post, as you know, i have also been struggling recently. forgot to weigh this morning before eating so i will do it tomorrow, but this is a new day and a new chance to start over (thanks for pointing that out to me Kelly). i had bought the 30 day shred for myself for my birthday last week and i started it today (perfect timing for this week's exercise challenge). my husband will be in the hospital again for part of the week for elective surgery so i hope i will still be able to keep up with it.
    wishing everyone a wonderful week!! :bigsmile:
  • azsuzi
    Options
    Happy Sunday Ravenclaw! I forgot to weigh in this morning before eating too! I posted my house points and OWLs for the week, but will have to wait until tomorrow to post my weight. It's so hard to remember to weigh in on the weekends because I usually lounge around in my pj's for most of the morning. Who wants to strip down just to weigh?? :laugh:

Hope you all have a fabulous day!! :heart:

P.S. @Penny - love the new pic!
  • kellyisloved
    Options
    Haha, Sue, I just had that moment myself. I keep my scale in the kitchen, and usually my husband works before me so I don't have to worry about him being around when I do my daily strip, but this morning he was cleaning the kitchen.

I made him get out for a minute while I did it, lol.

Aside from that, here's my thought this morning: We've all mostly had a rough time lately getting ourselves in the swing of things and being really lax on stuff we were doing so well. We have TWO WEEKS left in January to turn it around. How about we all push ourselves, do that extra bit of exercise, smack our own fingers when we reach for that extra treat, and really focus on getting our (naturally brilliant) brains back in order?

I think we could have an amazing showing the last two weeks from Ravenclaw if we did. :)
  • kellyisloved
    Options
    And because I'm spamming the Common Room lately, lol, I was looking for Ravenclaw fight/spirit songs to get us revved up, and I found a site with several. This one is my favorite!

----

-The Ravenclaw Fight Song-

"A filk by Tann to the tune of The Sons of the Gamboliers, as used for the Georgia Tech fight song"

I'm a lad/lass, hurrah! from Ravenclaw, and an awf'ly good wizard, too!
    Just hand me a broom, and give me some room & I'll fly for the Bronze and Blue.
    For goal after goal at Quidditch, I'll pitch my Quaffle through!

:drinker: If a Butterbeer were foaming here in a tankard near Hagrid's size,
    I'd lift up my glass and give it a toss to Ravenclaws deep and wise.
    I'd shout Rowena Ravenclaw, ta!, skoal! and here's to you!
    And I'd toast our lovely Lady Grey in bumpers till after two!

Oh, the Lions old in red and gold, are bold and will guard your back;
    And a Badger as friend will true to the end, so here's to the yellow and black!
    The Serpents' hiss, I'd give it a miss, their green and their silver too
    But the best of the best is the Eagles' Nest, and the banner of Bronze and Blue!

So let's give a cheer for Hogwarts dear, and the Eyrie of Ravenclaw,
    For charming Master Flitwick, and our dear old Dumbledore,
    And for the team like Eagles scream, as Eagles are wont to do: