Ravenclaw Common Room

Options

Replies

• azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    @Bethany - that is a great NSV. I used to log EVERYTHING before I ate it but have gotten out of the habit. Am trying to start that up again since it really seems to help me.

Seems like quite a few of us are up since the holidays. I've seen more than one post saying "I'm this weight, but my low weight was that". I always log my gains as well as my losses, so right now, my losses are really re-losses :laugh: . I've got 3 more pounds to go until I get back to my low point. Oh, well. I'm not going to look back - only forward.

Happy Monday everyone!
  • korkster
    korkster Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

Sorry I've been gone. Got locked out for a bit, but Kelly hooked me up.

Have no clue what the OWLs were, but we're on a new week so who cares.

Current Weight: 312.4
    House Poins: 60

Phew!
  • korkster
    Options
    Okay, so I just added to the google sheet.

... what's a fat macro??

and... core exercise?
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the remind to update my stats Kelly!

I think I may be truly recovering from the holidays. I've been diligently logging my less than ideal food choices. Even though 4oz of red wine seems like 'only 82 calories' I know that it affects my metabolism. I need to save that 'health tonic' for when I'm at my goal weight. :ohwell:

I think I'm ready to regroup and make progress on the weight loss again.

I've been holding pretty steady, just under 180lbs. I know that I need to increase walking. Yeah, it's only 30 minutes, but sometimes it feels like an all afternoon activity. I was walking first thing in the morning before the days became short. Fortunately, the sun is up at 7:30am and earlier every day now. I'm more motivated to get up at 6 am and walk for half an hour if there is light.
  • _gwen
    Options
    ... bleh! I am a lazy housekeeper and dread cleaning days...

Me too. I solved the problem by having someone come in every other week to do the stuff I hate. :blushing: Doesn't help with the weight loss, but the bathrooms and all of the floors are cleaned on a regular basis.
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    taking a quick break as i am working overtime in my old department tonight. wasn't planning on it so i was not prepared food wise. there was some leftover pizza in the break room so i had 2 peices. it tasted wonderful-can't remember the last time i had pizza. hope it lasts the night as i have no calories to eat when i get home and it's doubtful i will get a workout in tonight.

bethany i love your craft idea...i am among those who may steal your idea!!
  • WhatsEatingYou
    Options
    Hmm, didn't track much the last couple of days - no excuse either, I tried the mfp app on the phone and it IS easier than the computer version. I second the person who wished you could get into the groups on it, tho.

I WILL give myself credit for being very good with my supplements and vitamins the last few days. Finally getting into that good habit.

I did not make time to exercise at all again this week - HOW does the week go by so quickly that it's suddenly over and I didn't do anything? Cripes. Lost my week-planning time again (Monday am) due to a school ice delay..need to make time tomorrow for sure.

TOM is on its way..not for another week probably, but I eat like a garbage can for about a week proceeding (it's the cravings that alert me that it's that time again!) - trying hard to keep my eating-wits about me so that I can see that drop in pounds after it passes through.
  • achbarrow
    achbarrow Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hello All!
    I just found this group and would love to join up as I'm a huge Harry Potter nerd and my house has always been Ravenclaw(I've been a ravenclaw student for halloween…and any other event requiring a costume for the last 3 years). My name is Ayla and I'm restarting this journey again today. I'd lost 72 pounds but I've gained back 36 and I need to get on track. I've cleared everything and am starting over from scratch. Look forward to working with you all to reach our goals.
  • kellyisloved
    kellyisloved Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Hello All!
    I just found this group and would love to join up as I'm a huge Harry Potter nerd and my house has always been Ravenclaw(I've been a ravenclaw student for halloween…and any other event requiring a costume for the last 3 years). My name is Ayla and I'm restarting this journey again today. I'd lost 72 pounds but I've gained back 36 and I need to get on track. I've cleared everything and am starting over from scratch. Look forward to working with you all to reach our goals.

Yay! We're excited to have you with us, Ayla (beautiful name, btw)!

I'll send you an email with some basic stuff and instructions, links, etc., but feel free to post here as often as you'd like. We've had several new members join recently, so it's nice to have some new names and faces.

And just for reference, Lottee1000 and I share the HoH duties at the moment, so you can reach out to either as well. :)
  • kellyisloved
    kellyisloved Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Just to let everyone know, we haven't had the inter-house results posted up for a couple weeks (you know how life goes-- sometimes it's just not that easy), so we haven't been forgetting to keep you informed, they just haven't been available. Hopefully we'll get those soon so that we can see how we stack up against the other houses.

On a good note, we had nearly EVERYONE log in their weight this week, which is great to see, and tons of you had losses-- congrats to: _gwen, azsuzi, blackhawkgirl91, cherubcrnp, craft338, me, korkster (yay, welcome back!), lottee1000, matchamatcha, and psb13!

Sadly, though, our weight loss % didn't end quite so rosy, lol. We started the month strong in January with an average of 0.628%, then dropped to 0.539%, which is still good, but we had a tough week this week, ending at 0.052%. I'm really hoping we can push this last week and end it strong!

To help us get there, I have a personal challenge for us! So far this month, we haven't averaged over 200 minutes for any individual week. Let's push for everyone to up their minutes so that we can finally break that barrier! Last week we averaged 174, so if we push for another 30 minutes somewhere this week, we can do it! :)
  • bethanyweathers
    bethanyweathers Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Afternoon Ravenclaws! I love Tuesdays, they're my favorite day of the week. No classes, lunch with friends and church in the evening.

I had to to go Urgent Care yesterday because my ankle swelled up to about three times its normal size. The doctor said it was an infection due to my joint problems and to keep an eye on it. She also said I couldn't work out until it has gone back down to normal size. It's still swollen. I thought it was bad enough when she told me I couldn't run until we got the joint problems under control, but now having her tell me I can't work out AT ALL feels like a dagger to the heart.

So I'm trying really hard to eat well to make up for the fact that I can't work out. Hopefully this will be a good week.
  • _gwen
    Options
    Finally passed my last certification exam...I'm now officially a Microsoft Certified IT Pro as a Windows Server 2008 R2, Virtualization Administrator.

Who decided that getting this was a good idea? :ohwell: The things we put ourselves through. Yeesh.
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    good afternoon Ravenclaw. was running late this morning and i didn't have time to check in. hope everyone is having a great day.

ayla-welcome!! glad to have you in the common room!! :flowerforyou:

bethany-sorry to hear about your joint issues. is swimming an option? that is so very low impact, maybe that would be ok with your doctor. i'm guessing there is a pool on campus that you could use???

gwen-congats on getting your certification in something that is waaaaaaaaaaaaay above my computer
    knowledge to understand :drinker:

having a decent day so far. i think i had mentioned i was having some left ankle and knee problem either from jillian (i hate her lol)
    or the treadmill. i contiune to have pain with normal daily activities so made appt to see doctor on thursday. likely no workout for me tonight :frown: hope everyone has a great evening!!
  • bethanyweathers
    bethanyweathers Posts: 296 Member
    Options

bethany-sorry to hear about your joint issues. is swimming an option? that is so very low impact, maybe that would be ok with your doctor. i'm guessing there is a pool on campus that you could use???

I was doing swimming, but the constant pushing off from the wall was really hurting. Plus the lap pool is 8.5 feet deep, so trying to climb out was really hard on my joints.
  • Samiwhereareyou
    Samiwhereareyou Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    @bethany you could always do crunches and punching that gets your cardio up without stressing your lower body according to Jillian Michaels 30day shred. I hope you feel better soon.
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone! I love days like today when there is so much going on with everyone posting!

Congrats Gwen on your certification! I know you're glad that's behind you.

Welcome Ayla. Love your name and your namesake in the Earth's Children series. I love it as much as I love Harry Potter!

Bethany - try some strength training while your ankle is recovering. With your joint problems, you might need to research some really low impact exercises that you can do. Maybe talk with a physical therapist to get some ideas? Hope you heal soon!

Busy, busy week for me so far. I feel like I'm hardly ever on MFP any more. I check the news feed and log my foods from my iphone, but really miss the boards - especially the common room! Glad to see so many of you today - it made for a great end-of-the-day treat. Have a good night Ravenclaw!

Oh - and Korki - the fat macro is how many grams of fat you eat each day. Try to stay under your fat goal in your diary. Core exercises strengthen the core of your body - your abs, back and the muscles in your sides and hips. If you google "core exercises", you'll find a bunch of them. I found these sites that demonstrate some good core exercises that I'm going to use:
    http://livefitblog.com/2011/02/14/3-top-core-strengthening-exercises/
    http://www.fitness-and-bodybuilding-workouts.com/core-strength-workouts.html
    http://www.realsimple.com/health/fitness-exercise/core-strengthening-exercises-00000000054969/index.html
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody- long time no "see". I haven't posted since I broke my ankle before Thanksgiving. Update: I ended up needing surgery. They put 2 screws in and I was in a non weight baring caste for 4 weeks. I'm now in the boot again, so I can put some weight on it, but still use the crutches when I go out. Its a slow recovery, but the doctor and I both are taking extra precautions knowing that I put so much pressure on it with running.
    In all honesty I kind of fell off the weight loss wagon. Not being able to run (hell not even being able to walk to the bathroom by myself) has really disconfigured my brain. I didn't make the best food choices and I even stopped the core work and upper body work I was doing. The result is a 5lb weight gain and almost 2 inches around my stomach (at first I said not so bad it was during the holidays and I couldn't move, but that excuse is over now). UGGG . . . . . so, I still can't do any real cardio, but I'm going to start logging food again, obviously I can't do this on my own without logging so I'll log.
    Just checking in and updating everyone!
  • mish3131
    mish3131 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Not my week...I thought last week TOM would arrive, but no. He came today and I am miserable. Guess Sunday's weigh in was skewed a bit by TOM, but I will never really know. Exercising this week has been impossible so far, but today even though I feel like poo I want to get on my treadmill for a bit tonight. Then some yoga stretching.

I hope everyone else is doing well.

Mish
  • korkster
    Options
    Thanks Sue for the info!

The "air bicycle" looks pretty good. I might even be able to incorporate some zumba into that (standing core).

So, fat macro, hmm? I might have to switch to another because fat is rarely an issue with me. Usually I have issues with carbs or sugars, but I ALWAYS have issues with sodium. Don't know why. However, I have noticed that sometimes when I log and compare to the package, the calories may be right, but the sodium is waaaaaay off scale. I correct what I can, but that's not always possible by phone. Hmm... now I see cholesterol is an issue as well.

Very well. Cholesterol it is.
  • WhatsEatingYou
    Options
    I think I missed challenges for the week - need to find the link to the spreadsheet again.

Had a sort of NSV that actually was a scale thing - I'm not a daily weigh-er and wasn't planning to weigh again till a week from now because TOM's on its way and I never know the scale will be doing that week surrounding - but I felt like I had a bad couple of days so I stepped on teh scale this morning just ot see how bad it was -- except I stepped on with all my clothes (jeans and sweatshirt), shoes, socks, and even holding my vitamins - lol! I was only 3 pounds over my last weight - which HAS to mean I didn't gain anything, and could well mean I lost. Yay! Having a better day today already.