Ravenclaw Common Room

Options

Replies

• tboothgenthe
    Options
    I'd like to join if there's still room in the house. I thought - wow I wonder if they have a sorting hat and if they take my wants into consideration! lol

Pretty new to MPF (few weeks) but ready for some challenges.

Mom of 4 kids (10, 10, 6 and 4) I htink I love Harry Potter the best :) Trying to lose 15 pounds by the time we go down to Orlando and go to Universal for the first time to the WWOHP!

Terri
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Welcome back momofJandA. Its so good to see you! I'm glad to hear you're ankle is on the mend even if it's a slow mend.

This is my first full week of my new classes - just taking 2, but have to go to campus instead of online. One is at lunch time on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The other is after work on Mondays and Wednesdays. Lots of driving back and forth and less time to chat here, but I am getting in a little extra cardio walking from the parking area to the classrooms. Only thing is, my shoes are not made for that much walking. Brought my sneakers today - I just hope my pants aren't too long for them!!

WhatsEatingYou - I posted the link to the spreadsheet on page 1 of this thread so I could find it more easily when I'm at work - feel free to use it as well. At home, I bookmarked the page in my favorites.

Off to do some lunch-time homework. Have a great day everyone!

And welcome Terri! Another Ravenclaw is always welcome! :bigsmile:
  • kellyisloved
    kellyisloved Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    First of all, welcome, Terri, and welcome back, momofJandA!

I can send you some welcome info either in a few minutes (if I have time before work) or after work, but a good starting point is this blog post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/kellyisfat/view/hogwarts-january-inter-house-challenge-ravenclaw-house-193681

Also, for both of you, our new tracking system for weigh-ins is a spreadsheet that Sue created. :flowerforyou: It's really easy - just find your name and the columns for the right week (this coming weekend will be week 4 and the last for January) and enter your info. Since we're partway through the week, it might be easier for you both to just weigh in this weekend (any day Fri - Mon, so long as you pick the same day each week) and start with the February goals, etc.

Challenges are also listed on the spreadsheet to the right, so I would recommend (like Sue said) to save this link as a bookmark where you need it or email it to yourself so that you can always get back to it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnaZ2CBZ3MgTdGxWaWE5OVU0dkQzRE9hRko0S0huT3c
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Post, post, post, get those spirit OWLs up!

Tomorrow morning I'm leaving for Port Townsend for a long weekend, but I will be online sporadically and continuing to log. I probably will be off my calorie goals, but hey, who knows, maybe some of my regular counting habits will stick.
  • bethanyweathers
    bethanyweathers Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Afternoon Ravenclaws! Ankle is still swollen, but not as badly. My arm joints are what really hurt today. Goodness it's like everyday something new hurts. So still no workouts for me.

I have to work during lunch on Wednesdays, but luckily I was able to sneak away and get a smoothie at a cafe in the building. I checked the nutrition facts for all the smoothies they had and chose the one with the least amount of calories. It was still around 450, but it was a huge smoothie and completely filled me up. Plus I asked them to only use real fruit, not the fruit puree that has tons of sugar so in reality, it was strawberries, blueberries, cranberries, and grape juice. It was pretty tasty and I'm still full three hours or so later.

Hope everyone's day is going well!
  • alohashley
    alohashley Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Having a good day today! Scale likes me and I like it!
  • kellyisloved
    Options
    Bethany, that sounds absolutely amazing o.o Kinda making me want a smoothie.

And yay, Ashley! I love those days! Hope it keeps going your way. :) Oh, and congrats on the exercise I've been seeing you log, too!

I decided to start looking at the BMI calculators online again to see how close I was getting to the next rung down (overweight), and I am only 8 pounds away! I'm super, super pumped about it, too. Feels weird to say that I can't wait to be overweight, but I really can't. Would love to set it as a February goal, but it might be expecting too much considering I have some birthday celebrations coming up that month that will throw it off.

We'll see, though!
  • kellyisloved
    Options
    Yay, we have some results for February so far!

Posted from our Head Mistress:
    Here are the long awaited results for January so far!

407959_605258097553_179201885_32449092_2052469351_n.jpg

Ravenclaw won the Quidditch Match for week one, and Gryffindor won the Quidditch Match for week two! Congrats to both Houses!

Hufflepuff is in the lead overall for the House Cup, and Gryffindor is in the lead for the Quidditch Cup! Again, great work both Houses!

I'm waiting for the results from Hufflepuff for Week 3, then those will be up asap as well. Good luck with the rest of your week! Finish January strong!

Congrats Ravenclaw for pulling in the Week One Quidditch win! Let's see if we can up those House Points and good luck getting back on track for the Quidditch Cup, too! We lost some ground this last week, but we can do it! :D
  • lottee1000
    lottee1000 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Ok guys... prepare yourselves, I feel an essay coming on! (fee free to skip this post if you can't be bothered!!)

Waaah what a bad week!! Monday was bad, because I was too lazy to eat well, and convinced myself that because I'd exercised, I could eat what I want. BAD idea- over by about 500 cals.
    Tuesday and Wednesday- full school days, two parent's evenings, my sisters birthday and a friends birthday. As a result, have been out of the house for 18 hours a day, so haven't exercised, and haven't even logged as I knew I was eating crap. Gah, must be more accountable. Today better, exercise wise, still crummy food though. Tomorrow I WILL DO BETTER!!!!
    (as an aside, parents evening attendance was about 40%. That really saddens me- why can't some parents be bothered to show an interest in their children?!)

Didn't even know that my exercise points weren't on the spreadsheet for last week (sorry Kelly!!), I remember posting them but thinking my computer was acting wierd and not responding, but was too busy to follow it up. A shame as I did 300 mins of exercise last week- was quite proud of myself lol!

Anyways, these are my various thoughts of what's been going on in the forums over the last few days...

Aszuzi- We're going into the Year of the Dragon, a good one for powerfreaks! I'm always confused by the time difference as well- am used to Europe being seven hours behind me, but forget that the US, especially the west coast, must be nearly a full day behind us!

Bethany- def going to steal your crafty idea! Amazing! Is you polar heart rate monitor waterproof? I swim a lot so I'd want to use it then as well. Just in the process of getting my ipod waterproofed (amazing technology!!) so I can swim even more! Hope you're ankles feeling better!

Various- I'm also well up on my lowest weight last year, but I logged my gain over christmas, so now when it says 'has lost blah blah', I'm still well higher than I should be! Oh well, baby steps!!

Ayla and tboothgenthe- welcome! Let us know if there's anything you need to know (although the excellent Kellyisfat will have filled you in perfectly I'm sure!)

Gwen - well done on passing your exam! I have no idea what it means, but it sounds pretty snazzy!!

MomofJandA- hope you're ankles healing well as well! We are a bad ankled bunch- I have pins in both mine as well (bike accident aged 14).

Aaand finally, go us for winning the Quidditch cup a few weeks ago! Let's try and do it again this week (although I will not be helpful if I carry on eating and behaving like this! Oh well, at least I logged today!!
  • lottee1000
    Options
    Thought I'd finished?! Ha, no chance!! Just looking at the document, well done to psb13 for getting the most OWLS last week! You are a prefect this week! The next highest number of OWLS is shared between Samiwhereareyou, Craft338, and Cherubcrnp, well dome you guys! I've decided to make Craft338 the second prefect, as she had the highest number of housepoints as well. (If anyone thinks there's a fairer way of deciding it, let me know!!)

So, for this weekend, can:

psb13- think up a food challenge for us all to do next week

craft 338- think up an exercise challenge for us.

As always, no worries if you can't/don't have time etc, I'll sort them if I haven't heard by Saturday.

Go Ravenclaws!! X
  • bethanyweathers
    Options

Bethany- def going to steal your crafty idea! Amazing! Is you polar heart rate monitor waterproof? I swim a lot so I'd want to use it then as well. Just in the process of getting my ipod waterproofed (amazing technology!!) so I can swim even more! Hope you're ankles feeling better!

I'm not sure if my HRM is waterproof or not. I was wondering the same thing, but I'm going to say no. I'd hate to put it in the water and have it never work again. I'm sure there are HRMs out there that are waterproof though.

My joints don't hurt nearly as badly today as they have been, which is a nice welcome. They stil hurt, but not the blinding pain like I was experiencing. My ankle is still swollen though, so no improvement there.
  • achbarrow
    achbarrow Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hello All! Thank you for such warm welcomes. Feels great to be part of such a nice group. I hope everyone is having a great Thursday or whatever day you might currently be in :) Today started pretty good for me. First day back for me after being sick/off. I do not wish that stomach bug on anyone. That was painful. I was recovering over the last couple of days so I haven't been to the gym but I'm hoping to get some time in today. I think I'm going to start it off easy though just fast walking on the treadmill. While I was traveling I started having a lot of pain in my knees. Especially whist climbing stairs so I'm going to take it easy on them. Maybe try a little on the elliptical but we'll see.

Bethany- I'm glad your feeling a bit better. I hope you see some steady improvement from here on out. :)
    ~Ayla
  • korkster
    korkster Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It's Thursday people! Two more days for Saturday, and I'm excited.

My new job has a lot of hours to work, and a lot of temptations to eat out. Luckily I've been able to avoid the latter.

As I approach the big 3-0, I wish I had taken pictures or had done more measurements. I feel like my clothes are bigger, but I don't see anything noticeable in the mirror. Then I start wondering if my mind is playing tricks on me...

I've got a long way to go so I'm not worried or anything, but I now understand how some fuss over that one pound. On the bright side, I can look back and say I'm 29 pounds lighter than before, and that's how it going to stay.

Pretty awesome.
  • alohashley
    alohashley Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    KellyisFat- Don't let BMI get ya down because it is one of the worst measurements of health, it does not account for muscle....Your 8 pounds to go could really be less! Try getting your body fat tested instead, I did....(even though it still said i was fat :) )
  • WhatsEatingYou
    Options
    Hello, hello.

500 cal over one day...not great but if that's the worst of it, you're still doing all right.

I had a bad eating day today - I'm not sure a vegetable other than potato crossed my lips - my husband is home for a few days, and unfortunately I do eat differently when he's home. sigh! However, I'm to the point where my body has readjusted somewhat and gives my brain better signals (or vice versa?) -- so I have been filling up quickly on the fatty foods and not eating as much. I might be actually at or under calories today (NOT fat..but calories maybe.) It's been a trying week here, so I'm taking the positive and ignoring the rest. It's a miracle I haven't been on a total binge this week, between TOM coming and my husband home with big problems here.

SO GLAD tomorrow is Friday. Looking forward to a FUN conference Fri and Sat with some AMAZING ladies!!

LA
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Hello Ravenclaw! Another busy day but I am really liking my classes. It is much different sitting in a classroom than it is working by myself online. So far, homework has been much less time consuming as I don't have to read every page of the text!

Did really well today with my eating until AFTER dinner :( I took a box of cereal with me while watching TV and think I ate about half of it. :sad: Some day I will learn not to do that. Mindless eating is what got me where I was to begin with - cannot go back there!!

I love reading everyone's notes - even yours Lottee! :laugh: Its great being part of such a fantastic bunch of people.

Friday tomorrow!! And then Saturday - I cannot wait to sleep in and relax!!

Have a good day/night to you all!
  • lottee1000
    Options
    korkster- I think saying you lost 29lb sounds awesome, be proud of that!
    Azsuzi- I did see your food diary and thought it was unlike you! So annoying when you eat mindlessly like that and then realise what you've done. I did it again today. Sigh.
    On the plus side, I did lay a great competitive game of tennis today, and it was my school sponsored cycle ride so got a fair bit of cycling in as well. Food provided though, always my downfall...
    Happy Friday Ravenclaws!
  • tboothgenthe
    Options
    When should I add my information? I don't see my name in the excel sheet. Glad to be part of the "house"

Terri
  • bethanyweathers
    Options
    Happy Friday Ravenclaws!

My joints barely even hurt today. This new pain reliever my doctor has me on is really working. The only downside is that it makes me REALLY sleepy. I went to bed at 9:45 last night and slept until 8 this morning! And that was after taking a two hour nap yesterday afternoon! Today I'm struggling to stay awake again. I went to Starbucks this morning and used up about half my calories in hopes of getting enough caffiene in me to last me until I can get home again, but I don't think it's working. :yawn: .

Azsuzi: totally understand about the mindless eating. Yesterday i ate two mini bagels. I was hungry, but one really filled me up, yet I stuck my hand back in the bag and ate another one. We'll get the hang of it. At least you only ate half the box instead of all of it. I've done that before. So at least our self control is getting better!

Hope everyone has fantastic weigh ins this weekend!
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    happy friday Ravenclaw!! sorry to be MIA lately. my husband was in the hospital again. he came home today. i think i managed to at least log in every day-if not i am going to be REALLY angry if i missed one and my logged in days resets itself!!
    i have also been doing "mindless" and stress eating lately. i have avoided going to my dear friends Ben and Jerry for sympathy :laugh: !! part of me feels like i should just do it and get it out of my system, and part of me is struggling to get it together!! seems like every time i get back on track something else happens!! wish you all lived closer and we could get together in person!! oh well...at least you're here for me when i log in. :flowerforyou:
    anyway, teri, welcome...this is the BEST group EVER!!!!!