Replies

• mah1120
    mah1120 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Marian. My stats are below:

Ht: 5'7
    CW: 226lbs
    GW: I'm thinking 175 then 160 final

I read the thread on calculating the calories to eat. I've changed my ratios to 30/40/30 (Protein/Carbs/Fat) in my diary. I'm a little confused as to which calorie amount to use. I calculated by TDEE less 15% and got around 2190 cals. The whole 10% for digestion threw me off. Any help is appreciated!

Oh I'm doing P90X 5-6 times a week classic version, but I just started doing it, so I put my activity as lightly active. Any advice?

Thanks all!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hello! Another MFP user told me about the group. After joining and checking it out, I looked up my TDEE, BMR, and RMR. I am still kind of confused. I don't know what they each do and what I need to do to lose the weight. I have 30-50 lbs to lose. If more, ok. I need help please!?!?!

Hey lad, a safe cut from your maintenance calories is 15%. So subtract 15% and eat that number on nonworkout days. When you do workout and if you lift weights add 200 to that number. On cardio days I try to at least net my BMR.

So let's say burn is 1000
    Bmr is 1400
    Daily gaol 1800
    Then 1800-1000=800 net cals
    So to at least Net BMR I would need to eat an additional 600 and the 1800 so total os 2400 on that cardio day.

There are a few great psots on the main page of group that discusses eationg more, plateauing, eating too few cals and a discussion on TDEE. Another good resource that help me was New Rules of lifting weight for omen. Thenutrition part helped it all click for me...

And this applies regardless of amount of weight...regrdless of size al of our bodies need fuel.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    So sorry for mistakes...on phone with fat fingers...lol
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options

Not qordy at all...it is great to learn about each other.

I had a car accident 2007 and suffered herniated disks in my lower neck and lower baxk. I strength train and keep my core strong to avoid the back pain that is exacerbated when my tummy muscles are weak. Glad you are finding ways to strngth train bec the strong core makes such a difference.

Oh and I eased up myself..at first unknowingly...1200, 1350, 1500 little loss then nothing...I then read some forum and blogs then excerpt from NROLWFW and it was like a bulb went off....upped to 1800 and gosh I lift so much heavier, feel so much stronger and lost 7.2lbs in the 13wks....may not seem like a lot but I have leaned out a lot and lost the fatty look that I had. I have a few pounds to go but I am soooo much happier now.

I started taking glucosamine a few months ago, and that helped tremendously. I was having back and hip pain. Since working out, I do feel so much stronger, especially in my core. It's great!
  • trishadams
    trishadams Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Marian. My stats are below:

Ht: 5'7
    CW: 226lbs
    GW: I'm thinking 175 then 160 final

I read the thread on calculating the calories to eat. I've changed my ratios to 30/40/30 (Protein/Carbs/Fat) in my diary. I'm a little confused as to which calorie amount to use. I calculated by TDEE less 15% and got around 2190 cals. The whole 10% for digestion threw me off. Any help is appreciated!

Oh I'm doing P90X 5-6 times a week classic version, but I just started doing it, so I put my activity as lightly active. Any advice?

Thanks all!

Hi Marian ~ welcome to the group!

The energy used to digest food is known as the thermic effect of feeding. Some foods, like protein, require more energy to digest and process than others, like fats. Adding in the 10% accounts for the energy expended during this process.

Hope that helps!

Trish

P.S. Love your hair!!!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

I started taking glucosamine a few months ago, and that helped tremendously. I was having back and hip pain. Since working out, I do feel so much stronger, especially in my core. It's great!

I also am helped by glucosamine--I have back and knee trouble. I also believe that planks have done much good for my back!
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I'm 25 and from the US. I'm a runner and I've always been at a healthy weight, but I've struggled with an eating disorder since college. I have been starving myself for the past six years, restricting calories and living on 700-1200 net calories a day while exercising six days a week. I look healthy on the outside but I'm not.
    I see so many healthy active women on MFP actually eating and losing weight and it's inspiring.
    I'd like to lose a few pounds and more importantly, get out of my eating disorder mindset and learn to eat healthfully and accept myself. I recently upped my calories to about 1800 on rest days and 2000-2100 on workout days. This is the most I've eaten since high school. I'm willing to give it some time, because I've heard it works. Plus I miss eating:(
    Stats: 5'5"
    CW: 135, Pants: US 2 (26)
    GW: 125
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hi,

My name is Cindy. I've been on MFP for one year. I dropped 112 pounds by my one year anniversary but I am now fully stalled out for the past 3 months. I workout a LOT and I keep calories around 1600. Thinking it's time to eat more and hope to kick these last 15 pounds to the curb once and for all.
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I'm joining some of my fellow Cathletes at Kiki's suggestion. I upped my calories to 1,600 a month or so ago and am still stuck. My TDEE is around 2100 and my BMR is almost 1400. I realize now that I'm still a couple hundred calories short of netting my BMR, so I'm going to work on upping those calories (with the good stuff, not junk food!) again. It mentally scares me as much as it first scares everyone else.

The only comfort I can take is that I quit smoking and went on birth control in December and "only" gained 5-6 pounds. However, it's been three months of changing things every few weeks to no avail, so I am going to try yet again to change what I'm doing.

I recently (like 3 days ago lol) started adding running to my walking/hill climbing and am falling in love. I had my first outdoor run yesterday and can't wait for another. I'm also hoping that adding outdoor running will jump start the loss.

Stats: Started at 210 pounds (still can't believe that) 12/27/10,with Weight Watchers. Hit 143 in December and then bounced back up. I've been stuck at 149-150 for a few months now. My end goal weight is 130, which for me means being comfortable in a size 4 jean. Not really that stuck on the scale number, but I know what it should be around to achieve the clothing size goal.

Can't wait to start reading all the good info in this group!

Jill
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Hi,

My name is Cindy. I've been on MFP for one year. I dropped 112 pounds by my one year anniversary but I am now fully stalled out for the past 3 months. I workout a LOT and I keep calories around 1600. Thinking it's time to eat more and hope to kick these last 15 pounds to the curb once and for all.

HI CIndy!!! Maybe you can share some of those yummy protien shakes reciepies!! Its great to see you.
  • OriginalWhatTheHelen
    OriginalWhatTheHelen Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Jumping in here...

My name is Helen. I'm 48 years old. I have been a regular exerciser (3 days of cardio and 3 days of weights) for about 6 years. I have always preferred weights to cardio.

My BMR is about 1400; TDEE is about 2200

Over the course of a year and a half, (late 2006 - early 2007) I lost over 30 lbs. using Power 90, P90X, P90X+ and kept all of it off for over a year. I discovered Cathe Friedrich workouts about 3 years ago and prefer her STS program over anything else I've ever done.

Fast forward...over the course of the last 2 years or so I've slowly gained back almost 20 pounds. (Ironically, I started gaining when I was trying so hard to LOSE the final 15 or so pounds I thought I needed to lose.) Yes, a few of those regained pounds are muscle (thanks to STS). I'd lose 6 or 7 of those pounds and then gain them back. I've been gaining and losing the same 6 or 7 pounds for almost 2 years. I heard about this crazy idea to try to reset my metabolism (thanks, kiki) :wink: and started eating more every day about 5 weeks ago. I increased my calories OVERNIGHT from about 1400 net to over 2100 net. I eliminated all cardio workouts and concentrated on lifting heavy weights, which is what I love to do anyway. I was warned that I may gain weight. I have...3 pounds in 5 weeks. I was warned that the process may make me cranky. It has. But I'm crazy strong and I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'll start decreasing my calories by about 15% in 10 days.

The number on the scale doesn't really matter to me anymore. I'm not shooting to weigh a certain amount. I want to fit comfortably into my size 4 pants again (I'm currently wearing a barely comfortable size 6), and I want to eliminate the goo.

I have every confidence that this is the ticket! :smile:
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Becca, and I love the encouragement of this group! So cool to see women stepping out of their comfort zones and committing to be healthy. NO quick fixes!!!

Anyway, heres my story...
    Struggled with eating disorders for about 10 years throughout highschool, college, and my early 20's. Finally decided to stop all that madness and ended up getting heavier and heavier. This was compounded by having 5 babies in 10 years, and being unable to lose weight while nursing them. But no excuses. I got fat because I ate crap and didn't exercise!

About a year ago I was so heavy I will never publicly admit to anyone exactly how much I weighed! I was utterly miserable and finally had the courage to do something about it. I discovered clean eating and started doing that January 2, 2011. I joined MFP and tracking food really helped me to deal with my emotional eating, but still was struggling. Up until this point i was mostly doing cardio, usually around 2 hours a day. I finally decided to start doing weights about 9 months ago, starting with p90x. I loved it, and then got turned onto Cathe Fredrich videos, and slowly started doing more weights, but still struggled to let go of my cardio because I was afraid I needed that to lose the fat. Last summer I was really struggling with my weight, and had hit a plateau that ended up lasting 5 months. Alot of people kept telling me to stick it out, do more cardio, etc. and I followed all of that advice but it clearly was not working. I was losing my hair, having blackouts, feeling weak, tired, and cranky. No wonder, I was burning around 1500 calories a day, and eating 1200 or less. Finally I decided to increase my calories and busted out of that plateau. I was so excited!!!

By the end of the year I had lost about 100 pounds, but still doing crazy amounts of cardio. So recently I decided to kind of take a break from trying to lose weight, reset the metabolism, and focus on muscle building (still hesitant to call it a bulk because I think I'm still too fat for all of that!) Ill be back to eating at a deficit in May, and I've been cutting my cardio back slowly. Im at about 45 minutes 3 days a week now, and I eat back every single exercise calorie, lol. My TDEE is around 2600, so I average about 2500-2800 calories a day. Thats alot of food, and lately its been a real mental challenge for me to eat that much. Good days and bad days.

Excited to see what changes this next year brings. I still have another 20 pounds that I would like to lose. Currently I am about a size 6 (funny because I am the same weight I am when I wore a size 12-14 years ago). I would like to get down to about a 4. Its so much more about muscle and body fat now than it is a number on a scale. I love lifting and want to continue my training and see where it takes me! :)

Stay the course ladies! It is hard to take this leap but I have confidence in the process!
  • srobertson47
    srobertson47 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Susan i am 47 years old i started MFP in January 2012 , the first week i lost around 4 to 5 pounds i done got down to 15 pounds shred and even when i did the weight watchers i would get down to 15 pounds loss and than the weight would loss came to a stale i am eating around the 1800 calories diet i am now weighting 242 i started out at 256 i mixes my exercises between low impact aerobics to walking i need to know what to do to get the pounds to come off. Some body help!::frown: :
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Hi my name is Susan i am 47 years old i started MFP in January 2012 , the first week i lost around 4 to 5 pounds i done got down to 15 pounds shred and even when i did the weight watchers i would get down to 15 pounds loss and than the weight would loss came to a stale i am eating around the 1800 calories diet i am now weighting 242 i started out at 256 i mixes my exercises between low impact aerobics to walking i need to know what to do to get the pounds to come off. Some body help!::frown: :

First thing to do is read the topic on TDEE...then do your calculations and follow the suggestions once you have done your calculations. I have a feeling your calories are still a bit too low, but when you do the calculations you will know for sure.

If you haven't started strength training...oh you are missing out...add that to your routine lady!
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy that this group exists! I started on MFP in November and lost nicely for a few months. I didn't have a huge weight loss goal and I'm generally pretty active and eat relatively clean naturally, so I'm pretty patient when it comes to weight loss. I initially had my calorie goal set at 1400 or so and had to eat back all of my exercise calories in order to not starve. As I dropped the weight and adjusted my daily goal, it just got lower and lower until I was exercising just so I wasn't starving. I decided I had enough and despite maintaining a nice, steady loss, increased my goal to 1500 (and still eat back all my exercise calories). I initially gained, but after two weeks was back to losing (just slower).

Today I calculated my BMR (about 1400) and my TDEE (about 2200) and now realize I'm probably not eating enough - especially on days I lift (I was half way through stage 1 of NROLFW but a fairly bad cut on my hand means I've had to take a break). Once I can start lifting again, I think I'm going to try out maintenance and see how that goes. I am happy to have found a group of women also experimenting with eating more. I know its scary but so far it has worked for me (the gains I've had have been reversed once my body has adjusted).
  • LoriInIowa
    LoriInIowa Posts: 113
    Options
    Hi, my name is Lori. I'm 47. I started on MFP Oct. 2011, but was pretty inconsistent with it for the first month or so.
    Tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of my 12 day hospital stay that jump started the path I am on. I am a former athlete...and hoping to return to that "tag" in the near future. :)

I am 6' tall and obviously can "carry" alot of weight, but I just let myself slowly gain 5-10 lbs. a year for TOO many years. We don't own a scale, so I have no idea what my "heaviest" weight might have been, but I know I saw 262 at the Y a few years ago. Scary.
    It took me a while, but I just was tired of being heavy...and not flexible like I used to be....

I had lost 45 or so lbs. before my health scare just by giving up "whites" (bread, potatoes, rice, ect.), quit drinking soda, started walking and doing the wii.

While in the hospital, I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. During the first few days of the 12 days in the hospital, with 4 insulin shots in the belly per day, they were able to get my blood sugar under control and start me on *oral* meds....which I've been taking since. I found out I have high blood pressure at the same hospital visit...and had foot surgery. Yep, I was a hot mess.

But, boy am I thankful for modern meds! Thankfully, I didn't lose my toe, or foot. They were able to get the infection under control with the 3 weeks of IV antibiotics. I spent the next 9 weeks and 4 days "no weight bearing" on the injured foot...using a walker and then crutches as I regained my strength. The wound care nurses took such good care of me. And I have a really wicked scar to show for it! :)

All of that blah, blah, blah to say....I''m glad I've found this site. It's helping me continue on my healthy "life" plan. :)
    I'm down to 190, but think I would be healthier around 175-ish. (That's somewhere around my college playing weight.) I know that's just a number. It's actually a little "high" according to some of the charts I've seen, but I'm hoping that will be a good weight for me.

Is anyone else diabetic? Any thoughts about the calories/carb situation for weight loss?

The diabetic nurse tried to start me on 1,200 calories when I left the hospital. I quickly ditched that as I became more active. Thankfully, I didn't cannabalize my family.

Honestly, my goal is to get OFF these meds and I think it's possible.

Can't wait to continue learning from you all!
  • lisasdoinit
    lisasdoinit Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

i'm tiptoeing into this with a flicker of hope...who knows..maybe THIS is what i've been doing wrong all these years.

I do have one question though..you all seem to have already lost a significant amount of weight doing the 1200 calorie plan..with over 80lbs to lose, is this for me as well??

I have a million other questions, but i'm sure i'll find the answers as i browse more through the group. (i already posted one in the group below this one to confirm my math was right cuz um..2400 calories on NON WORKOUT days?? um. really?).

Thanks so much for all this info and sharing it with us - (for free lol!!)

Here's hoping!
    Lisa
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Hi there,

i'm tiptoeing into this with a flicker of hope...who knows..maybe THIS is what i've been doing wrong all these years.

I do have one question though..you all seem to have already lost a significant amount of weight doing the 1200 calorie plan..with over 80lbs to lose, is this for me as well??

I have a million other questions, but i'm sure i'll find the answers as i browse more through the group. (i already posted one in the group below this one to confirm my math was right cuz um..2400 calories on NON WORKOUT days?? um. really?).

Thanks so much for all this info and sharing it with us - (for free lol!!)

Here's hoping!
    Lisa

Hey lady yes there is hope and you have found the answer with eating. If you| like try googling tdee calculator and plug in your info to check the numbers. There are a few out there. And yes try the 15% cut off tdee for at least 4 wks to get ur metab going. Chg ratios as suggested, eat 6 meals, and drink prot shk after right after wkout.

Keep us posted!
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Corinthia!

I have been on MFP for almost 1 year now. My stats are 284.4 as of this morning. I am 5' 5.5 inches tall and 40 years young.

My calculated TDEE using site is 3108
    My calculated BMR is 2446.99
    I exercise 4-5 times a week: my burn is normally 400-500 calories

How many calories should I be eating?
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Hi, I am Corinthia!

I have been on MFP for almost 1 year now. My stats are 284.4 as of this morning. I am 5' 5.5 inches tall and 40 years young.

My calculated TDEE using site is 3108
    My calculated BMR is 2446.99
    I exercise 4-5 times a week: my burn is normally 400-500 calories

How many calories should I be eating?

Subtract 15% from your tdee and that is your nonworkout calories.