Stage 1

Options

Replies

• coquette87
    coquette87 Posts: 114
    Options
    I'm also thinking of switching to a barbell for the step-ups. I have to take a break between my left and right legs because my hands are killing me from holding the dumb-bells. By the end of 12, my legs could probably go a few more (meaning I could add weight) but my upper body is done from the 25lb dumbbells.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Just finished my 2A workout today. I used the rowing machine as my warm up cardio as I was growing tired of the elliptical and treadmill, but one dumb question - is there a resistance setting on rowing machines? It just seemed too easy, but I only did it for 5 minutes :tongue:

- I transitioned from squatting a 20lb pre-weighted barbell last week to 30lbs this week, its almost embarrassingly low, but I'm really trying to take it slow to avoid injury, which happens to me often - next week will be the Olympic bar for sure though. I've always rationalized that I'm squatting a lot of body weight too, but as my body weight is going down and my strength is building, it's time to seriously up the resistance weight.

- There isn't a great place to do 45 degree pushups in my gym, so I've been setting the bar in the squat rack at hip height, but it REALLY hurts my hands and ankles after a few reps (also reminded me that it's time to get lifting gloves). Does anyone just use a wall for the easier-angle push-ups? there's no bench I could use...

- I discovered that it's important to look at my form while doing the prone jackknifes, my first set I thought "this is oddly really easy..." but then I glanced in the side mirror and realized I wasn't pushing my bum up high enough, whoa did that change things!

Looking forward to 2B!

Also, for step-ups I'm using the plastic step and risers at the gym, used 3 risers last week, this week was 4. I also did 2 sets of 15 reps for EACH leg this week, which I didn't realize to do last week, oops.

Question: Does everyone do stretches after every workout? How long do you stretch? I can't remember reading anything about stretches in the book...
  • kbrogan78
    kbrogan78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I've ever jumped into this thread....

I started NROL 2 weeks ago (just did stage 1, WO 4A today). So far I'm loving it. Using the squat rack and wearing my lifting gloves make me feel like a badass. :)

I use one of the wooden boxes at my gym for step-ups. The shortest height is 16 inches, which is a big high, but there really aren't any other options. I also have trouble with my grip, so I will often put the dumbbells up on my shoulders and hold the end from the front to keep them steady.

I have a question as well. I moved up to 80lb squats today and I noticed that I now have faint bruises on my upper back from the bar. Anyone know of a way to avoid this? Today I actually thought I'd found a good spot on my back to rest the bar, since it hurt much less than the previous times, but I worry that I'm going to end up all black-and-blue as I continue to up the weight.
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I'm also using the aerobic step with five risers (no my leg makes that 90 degree angle) right now I'm using 30lb dbs but thinking of switching to the weighted bars. I think they're curling bars. My grip strength is starting to stink now that the dbs are a lot heavier. I'm also switching to a switch grip on the deadlifts.

I'm doing the same thing--5 risers, knee at 90 degree angle--and am also thinking of going to the weighted bars (though I'm a little worried about balance). My left hand/forearm are much weaker than my right, and after my last "B" workout the whole arm felt "bruised"--I think from holding the 30 lb dumbells during the lunges.
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options

I started NROL 2 weeks ago (just did stage 1, WO 4A today). So far I'm loving it. Using the squat rack and wearing my lifting gloves make me feel like a badass. :)

I use one of the wooden boxes at my gym for step-ups. The shortest height is 16 inches, which is a big high, but there really aren't any other options. I also have trouble with my grip, so I will often put the dumbbells up on my shoulders and hold the end from the front to keep them steady.

I have a question as well. I moved up to 80lb squats today and I noticed that I now have faint bruises on my upper back from the bar. Anyone know of a way to avoid this? Today I actually thought I'd found a good spot on my back to rest the bar, since it hurt much less than the previous times, but I worry that I'm going to end up all black-and-blue as I continue to up the weight.

So funny--I feel like a badass too!! Dumbells on shoulders is a good idea...maybe I'll try that. As for the bruises, I've seen people use this squishy tube thing (kind of looks like one of those insulating sleeves people put on beer cans) to pad the squat bar. It has a Velcro closure. Maybe your gym has one?
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options

You and I are on the same track. I did Stage 1, WO 4A today, too. I got up to 75 lbs. on my squats. As for the bruising, try using the foam roller. My gym has a few. If yours doesn't, you can buy your own. Since my little gym doesn't have a box or steps, I've resorted to using the stairs because the benches are too high. I'm 4'10" so the stairs almost get me to a 90 degree angle. I just dip down a little lower. It'll have to do until they acquire boxes or steps.

In re: the gloves - I feel the same way...badass!*lol* I was so excited on Saturday when I went to Sports Authority to buy a replacement set of gloves (the old ones were ripping at the thumbs) and was able to find a similar pair for 97 CENTS! They were right next to the $31.00 ones I was thinking of buying. I'm glad I saw them! :smile:
  • coquette87
    Options
    Using the squat rack and wearing my lifting gloves make me feel like a badass. :)
    So funny--I feel like a badass too!!
    I feel the same way...badass!*lol*

Oh good I thought it was just me, lol! I definitely feel pretty badass when I'm squatting.

I'm also thinking about gloves. Not so much for grip strength, but because the dumbbells at my gym have seriously rough grips on them.
  • amyrobynne
    amyrobynne Posts: 64 Member
    Options

Amyrobynne--I was totally at sea as to where to start weight-wise, too, but as someone else said, it's better to do just what you're doing (experiment) and up as you feel you can. Stage one is largely about getting used to lifting, working on form, etc., so it's not really necessary to start at maximum weight. Some people do it with body weight alone--you can start anywhere.

It's good to hear that stage 1 is largely for getting used to things. I was concerned that I was really low-balling my weights and would spend the whole stage upping them a bit at a time without ever really building muscle because I wasn't pushing the limit, but I suppose that's why stage 1 lasts so long. I definitely need to gain confidence and knowledge of form for squats and pushups and the jackknives, but after 8 workouts with them, I hope I have it figured out!

I used a step aerobics step with 3 risers today but I'll re-read about how high that should be (I'm 5'7") and probably add risers next time. I haven't seen the steps used with more than 3 and I didn't want it to be wobbly.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    what is everyone using to "step up" on. I used a bench and felt that my knees were "twisting?" ...just did not feel good. I was thinking of just using a step aerobics step with heavier weights next time or is that counter productive?

I use an aerobic step that's about 12" - 14" off the ground and use the barbell (bar plus 10 lbs for a total of 55 lbs), not dumbbells.

I was considering using my oly bar at some point too for more weight options. How are you holding the bar?

I used my oly bar and the bench, but that's not really a step up, Lou covers it later in the book and it's called something else altogether.
  • athletemcgoo
    athletemcgoo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I didn't take great measurements before I started. But, I have lost 1.5 inch in my waist and 5.5 lbs. while in Stage One. And, all my clothes are fitting better. Tried on a pair of shorts from last summer that had been tight, and they fit really nicely -- almost too big in the waist. Some of my shirts I thought were too "fitted" are just fitting better/look better. Best of all, I feel like my shoulders look really strong! I feel like I could actually get to where I look the woman on the cover of the book. :smile:
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    I'm also thinking of switching to a barbell for the step-ups. I have to take a break between my left and right legs because my hands are killing me from holding the dumb-bells. By the end of 12, my legs could probably go a few more (meaning I could add weight) but my upper body is done from the 25lb dumbbells.

I'm having this exact same problem but I'm worried about balance with the barbell. Actually, I have the same problem with the lunges as well. I was hoping if I got gloves that may help some.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options

I love my gloves and I use a pad on the bar. My gym has a bunch laying around to use. Some people wrap a towel around it too.
    You 're right we are bad-*kitten*:wink:
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Bah, no one answers my questions! :ohwell:

Does everyone do stretches after every workout? How long do you stretch? I can't remember reading anything about stretches in the book
  • coquette87
    Options
    Sorry! Meant to respond and got distracted by schoolwork. I stretch. Nothing major, but I do. It's probably only 5-10 minutes total. I don't think he mentions it in the book, but I can't see it hurting, so I do it.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Sorry .

I don't stretch. It didn't say so in the book or at least I did not read it. :smile:
  • kbrogan78
    Options
    I stretch if I feel like a certain area needs it post-workout. Usually, though I don't feel the need to stretch until the day after, when the soreness sets in and things feel too tight.

Although maybe if I was consistent with the post-workout stretching, I wouldn't be so tight the day after......
  • freenewme
    freenewme Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Just finished reading the book going to start stage one tomorrow but kind of confused about the work out A and B thing. Is it doing A one day than the two days later doing B or do you do both A and B on the same day?
  • kbrogan78
    Options
    Just finished reading the book going to start stage one tomorrow but kind of confused about the work out A and B thing. Is it doing A one day than the two days later doing B or do you do both A and B on the same day?

Separate workouts that alternate. So your first week will be 1A, 1B, 2A and the next week will be 2B, 3A, 3B, etc.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

Does everyone do stretches after every workout? How long do you stretch? I can't remember reading anything about stretches in the book

I do stretch, probaby only 2-3 minutes.
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options

I don't usually stretch but I do walk for about 10 minutes on the treadmill after. As I am upping my weights I am feeling more of a need to stretch, though, so I think I will probably add that in. Don't see how it could hurt.