Stage 1

Options

Replies

• manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    You know, if you go to the Stage 7 thread....and actually FOLLOW some of the women who (actually) FINISHED NROL4W, not ONE of them is saying, "....omg, I gained 10 lbs on this program, gained 5% body fat and also gained 17 inches!!!"

It works...and those who have faithfully followed the program have the bodies/results to prove it.

Stop pushing "PANIC" on Day 16 of a 175 day program - you sound NUTS.

Sheesh....I guess I should set up a "venting" board. Sorry for the rant!

I think you need a program :wink: My "what if I gain 10 pounds?' comment was an exaggeration . I'm just scared of doing something different . I just need assurance and support and was hoping and did get some EXCELLENT advice.
  • SaraGrace82
    SaraGrace82 Posts: 232
    Options
    Please don't take this personally anyone, but I was just thinking that it would be nice to have a place to share how the program is going & questions about form and technique separate from the nutritional/weight concerns? Maybe two threads? For example "Stage 1 - Technique Questions & Lifting Progress" or "Stage 1 - All About Lifting" and "Stage 1 - Nutritional Concerns & Weight Loss"

Something along those lines anyway. Just a thought.
  • amyrobynne
    amyrobynne Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I did Workout 1B today (so, the first time with that routine) and once I got started, I felt a lot less silly than I did on Monday with workout A. I had the trainer show me how to do deadlifts, then the rest of the exercises were pretty straight-forward. I can feel it in my shoulders now! Lunges always kill me at BodyPump so I used first the 5 lb dumbbells then went to 8 lbs for the second set. By the 15th rep, I was glad to be done. I probably could have done a little more weight, but not that much. It only took 20 minutes to do the whole thing, which seems really strange, but I know they'll get longer later.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I know that the book recommends a rest day b/n workouts, but has anyone done them back-to-back?

I usually lift MWF mornings while my daughter is at preschool. Next Friday she doesn't have school and my little community gym doesn't have childcare Friday or Saturday. So..... if I don't lift on Thursday, I won't have a chance again until Monday. I don't know if I should lift Thursday evening or just wait until the following Monday. Thoughts?

i'm thinking if you can even contemplate doing this, you probably arent lifting enough weight :laugh:
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for answering about stretching. I do it after cardio but for some reason can't be bothered to stretch after weights.

I just did workout 2B tonight. I printed out new log sheets and forgot to copy the exercises and weights I did for 1B, but I was able to remember them all (except I probably did them in the wrong order, oh well.) I also wore my chuck taylor shoes instead of my regular cross-trainers and really like the stability I felt, especially when doing my deadlifts.

Speaking of deadlifts, a trainer had previously set up the squat rack with the bar resting lower-shin height for their client, and it was so much easier to do the deadlifts when I didn't have to drop them all the way to the floor! I also did the olympic bar for the first time + 10lbs, so I guess it was about 50lbs total? I train in the 'women only' area of my gym so I don't know if it's a lighter than standard Oly bar.
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    So much good information! Tomorrow I do Stage 1 A6. (How fun to speak the NROL4W language and actually know that others will understand!) :smile:

For the 7 weeks of stage I ate at least the 1700+ cals on non lifting days and the 2000+ cals on non-lifting days. I did add 4 lbs and it isn't just water! (Unless you can pinch water :laugh: ) Not too worried though because I am increasing my lifting weights and I know how to take it off again. I have lowered my intake by 200 cals to continue. I don't want to have to re-lose too many lbs!

This is my first foray into heavy lifting and I am really liking the strength gain in this short period of time and also like taking the focus off of weight loss after 2 years at it! I am 5'5" around 135+ (right now) 50 Y/0. I have lost about 22 pounds and am actually lighter than I have been in 25 years. I really would love to incorporate lifting into my regular routine 2 days/week and cardio a couple days besides. Hopefully that will allow me to maintain a workable shape and a semi-generous calorie intake! My body fat was measured with calipers just under 25%.

Comments on previous posts - I actually put a folded towel over my shoulders for the squats. It HURTS otherwise for me! (I work-out at home)

:flowerforyou: Thanks all who listed what they are lifting. It helps to know that I am in range! To return the favor:(in pounds !)
    Deadlift - 84
    Dumbell shoulder press - 38(total)
    I do asst pull-up instead of wide grip lat pull-down - It will be a BIG DAY when I can do 1 unassisted!! How long might that take??
    Lunges - 44
    Squats - 76
    Push-ups 3 sets of 15 from the toes. I have always been able to the "guy" kind :tongue: Hmm...
    Bent over row (instead of seated) 76
    step ups 44 at 15" (A hope chest plus a couple books - always improvising! :wink: )
    Prone jack knifes Yep - not so sure about my form but am working on it

Goals? Might be a little early to say, but:

A REAL pull-up!
    body fat in the 22% range
    Waist of about 27" without too much more gain in the thighs!
    I want to get this to where it does not take too much head space or life space... Still figuring out what that is for me!

Thanks all for your great input! :heart:
  • Ninikins2
    Ninikins2 Posts: 73
    Options
    Numbers:
    Squat - 65
    Deadlift - 75
    Barbell press - 40
    Wide grip - 60
    Lunges - 40
    Ball crunch - 30
    Step up - 40
    Pushup - BW

Is there anything else? That's just off the top of my head.
    My goal is to do a real pull up too! I have the bar in mh both room doorway that I got when I did P90X. Lol it usually hangs my wet laundry on it but occasionally I will try to pull myself up. I can't get it yet. But we will see!
    Feel free to add me as a friend, it's nice to talk weights with someone. Most of my MFP friends are runners/ low cal ppl. And I'm usually the only girl in the weightroom at my gym. I think the boys are getting used to me though!!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Phase 1 Results!!! I'm planning to do the AMRAP next week. What really boggled my mind was the 5" off my midsection. I knew my clothes fit better, but that's why! That's only 5 weeks!!!

Change in Measurements:
    Waist - 33" to 30.5" (-2.5")
    Hips - 39" to 37.5" (-1.5")
    Thigh - 24" to 24" (no change)
    Calf - 16" to 15.5" (-0.5")
    Bicep - 12" to 12" (no change... but I see muscle now!)
    Chest - 36" to 36" (no change... phew!)
    Body fat % - 29.7% to 28.9% (not sure how much I trust this number though, the handheld device was all over the place)

Weight: 157.0 to 156.1 lbs (the scale went up to 158+ then back down to 156 and now it's hovering between 156-158)

Workout A:

Squats - 40 lbs to 135 lbs (I discovered the squat rack for workout 2 and jumped up to 65 lbs immediately)
    Push-ups - I could do 15 reps with my hands on a weight bench (30 degree incline) and I finished with 8 reps of pushups with my toes on the squishy part of a Bosu ball for added difficulty.
    Seated Row - 70 lbs to 105 lbs
    Step-ups - Holding a 10 lb medicine ball to holding 50 lbs total (25 lbs per side) of kettlebells
    Prone jacknives - I've always done 15 reps of these, I've been trying to keep my legs straighter tho

Workout B:
    Deadlifts - 60 lbs to 115 lbs
    Dumbbells Shoulder Press - 12 lbs weights in each hand to 20 lb weights in each hand
    Wide-grip Lat Pulldown - 60 lbs to 100 lbs
    Lunges - 20 lb kettlebells in each hand to 30 lb kettlebells in each hand
    Swiss Ball Crunches - 10 lb medicine ball above my head to 20 lb dumbbell above my head
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    Completed Workout B1 + 15 warmup/cooldown min on the treadmill (tho the cals do not reflect that one single bit!) - 249 cals.

GREAT JOB! How do you figure out the calories burned?

Thanks! I wear my HRM anytime I exercise. I have heard it is not as accurate when lifting, but I have gotten into the habit...

You can log them under cardio as well...search for strength training.
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    Phase 1 Results!!! I'm planning to do the AMRAP next week. What really boggled my mind was the 5" off my midsection. I knew my clothes fit better, but that's why! That's only 5 weeks!!!

Change in Measurements:
    Waist - 33" to 30.5" (-2.5")
    Hips - 39" to 37.5" (-1.5")
    Thigh - 24" to 24" (no change)
    Calf - 16" to 15.5" (-0.5")
    Bicep - 12" to 12" (no change... but I see muscle now!)
    Chest - 36" to 36" (no change... phew!)
    Body fat % - 29.7% to 28.9% (not sure how much I trust this number though, the handheld device was all over the place)

Weight: 157.0 to 156.1 lbs (the scale went up to 158+ then back down to 156 and now it's hovering between 156-158)

Workout A:

Squats - 40 lbs to 135 lbs (I discovered the squat rack for workout 2 and jumped up to 65 lbs immediately)
    Push-ups - I could do 15 reps with my hands on a weight bench (30 degree incline) and I finished with 8 reps of pushups with my toes on the squishy part of a Bosu ball for added difficulty.
    Seated Row - 70 lbs to 105 lbs
    Step-ups - Holding a 10 lb medicine ball to holding 50 lbs total (25 lbs per side) of kettlebells
    Prone jacknives - I've always done 15 reps of these, I've been trying to keep my legs straighter tho

Workout B:
    Deadlifts - 60 lbs to 115 lbs
    Dumbbells Shoulder Press - 12 lbs weights in each hand to 20 lb weights in each hand
    Wide-grip Lat Pulldown - 60 lbs to 100 lbs
    Lunges - 20 lb kettlebells in each hand to 30 lb kettlebells in each hand
    Swiss Ball Crunches - 10 lb medicine ball above my head to 20 lb dumbbell above my head

Great results!!!
  • jbrown78
    jbrown78 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I did Stage 1 B1 yesterday and I thought I worked hard, but not really feeling sore this morning!?! After A1 I was really sore, so this is really weird. I did the deadlift with 20Lb dumbbells in each hand. Shoulder press with 15lb in each hand and the same with the lunges. the swiss ball crunches were just body weight as I hate crunches on the ball, It just feels wrong to me. Any advice on what I can change that move to?
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I did Stage 1 B1 yesterday and I thought I worked hard, but not really feeling sore this morning!?! After A1 I was really sore, so this is really weird. I did the deadlift with 20Lb dumbbells in each hand. Shoulder press with 15lb in each hand and the same with the lunges. the swiss ball crunches were just body weight as I hate crunches on the ball, It just feels wrong to me. Any advice on what I can change that move to?
    See this thread on the sore/not sore factor...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/549708-finished-very-first-workout-not-sore

If the crunches don't feel right on the ball, maybe youtube to see if your form is off, or just do regular crunches on the floor.
  • manic4titans
    Options
    00trayn, THANK YOU for sharing your measurements . Yall know by now that I am stressing majorly. :laugh: I can't wait until I see the changes in my body.

Great job all of you.

Four workouts completed and my bottom is feeling the burn. I am thinking some of my weight gain is PMS stuff. I am down a pound this morning.

Jbrown, I wasn't sore either after my 2nd workout BUT I completed 2B yesterday . For me, B workout is a little easier for me since I have done lunges and pull downs. Could it be the same for you?
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    00trayn: Awesome results, in strength gains and inches lost! Thanks so much for sharing!

I did WOB3 today, and have an issue with my non-dominant (left) arm being significantly weaker than my dominant arm. Anyone else? I could really feel it on the shoulder presses, and then when I got to lunges I could hardly hold the 25 lb. dumbell in my left hand. I tried the weighted bar (50 lbs), but lifting it over my head to get it onto my shoulders was really tough. I didn't end up doing alternating sets with the Swiss ball crunches because I didn't want to lift the bar over my head more times than I had to! Any suggestions for just strengthening that one arm to catch up with the other? I may have to go back down to 20 lbs for the lunges otherwise. I'm assuming it's a bad idea to use unequal weights (ie. 20 on the left and 25 on the right?)

Here's where I am with my numbers:

WOA:
    Squats: 85
    Push up: step plus 2 risers
    Seated row: 60
    Step up: 25 in ea. hand

WOB:
    Deadlift: 90
    Dumbell shoulder press: 15 ea hand
    Wide-grip pulldown: 60
    Lunge: 25 ea. hand
    Swiss ball crunch: w/25 lb. plate
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! :) My kindle ran out of batteries and I do not have time to stop home before gym today.

Could anyone please tell me the set / reps for workout A - 5?

are the squats 3 sets of 10 reps? and 3s10r so on until jackknife where it is 3 set of 12 rep?

I think I am remembering correctly but without my book I cannot seem to check. Thanks for any help :) I will be working out in about 3 hrs and I am always SO excited to do it, just I'd like to know -what- I'm doing :laugh:
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Hi guys! :) My kindle ran out of batteries and I do not have time to stop home before gym today.

Could anyone please tell me the set / reps for workout A - 5?

are the squats 3 sets of 10 reps? and 3s10r so on until jackknife where it is 3 set of 12 rep?

I think I am remembering correctly but without my book I cannot seem to check. Thanks for any help :) I will be working out in about 3 hrs and I am always SO excited to do it, just I'd like to know -what- I'm doing :laugh:

ALL 3 sets of 10 except jackknife 3 sets of 12
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Thank you :)
  • cirka2002
    cirka2002 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Just finished my first workout B and I will be feeling it tomorrow! My legs already feel like jello!! And have I mentiond.... I HATE LUNGES!! I would rather do a hundred sit ups or squats! LOL!
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Just finished my first workout B and I will be feeling it tomorrow! My legs already feel like jello!! And have I mentiond.... I HATE LUNGES!! I would rather do a hundred sit ups or squats! LOL!

I really hate lunges, too. I don't know what it is... They're just evil. :-)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    finished 7B and my issues with grip came back on the deadlifts. i reached 170 today but because of the grip issues i dont think i'm going to reach my goal of repping at body weight.

also because i killed my left hand grip on the deads, it look me longer to do the wide lat pulldowns and the lunges because i had to frequently stop to regrip on the left.
    2 more workoruts until the AMRAPs and then i'm taking a much needed week off before starting sage 2