Stage 1

Options

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I only have 2 workouts left of stage 1. I'm having a bit of a problem though. I don't think anyone can actually offer advice, just venting.

I have a joint problem and it's gotten a lot worse with the DOMs. Joints that haven't bothered me in years are now acting up. I'm going to finish up stage 1 and see if maybe stage 2 works better for me. But I think I need to lower the weights a little. I've been doing 90 lb squats and dealifts (not including wt of the bar ~20 lb), 120 lb rows, 85 lb lat pulldowns, 2X 30lb lunges, 2X 25 lb step ups, 2X 20 lb shoulder presses.

I feel really letdown that I'm not doing as well as I'd like and it scares me that I may have to stop completely.

I agree with you, maybe try doing things with a little less weight and see if that helps.

I did 8B yesterday. I got up to 95 lbs on deadlifts but I think I actually need to go back down 10 lbs or so until my form improves. I think my form is good on low weight, but as I add more, I notice my back wants to round.

Just 2 more workouts for in this stage, repeating 8 instead of AMRAP. Then a week off and on to stage 2...
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options

Will any of you stage 1ers be my friend? I am looking for some friends to share the journey with. I did the same for c25k and if definitely helped! I just started 1A Tues and will be doing 1B tomorrow.

Sure, I'll send you a request too. I'm a complete newbie, but I'm getting excited to start on Monday! :)
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Finished Stage 1 tonight! I'm using other ladies experiences and am not doing the AMRAP. One, I'm bored with this stage. Two, as per Alwyn's blog it's a way to show ladies how much they underestimate myself. I know I underestimated and don't care. I start lower then work my way up as quickly as (safely) possible.

Final B stats

Starting Weights

Deadlift - 15kg / 33lb
    Dumbell Shoulder Press - 5kg / 11lb
    Wide Grip Lat Pulldown 26kg / 57lb (my very first I did 15kg but this was a tricep pulldown in error)
    Lunge - 12kg / 26lb

Final Weight

Deadlift - 45kg / 99lb (wanted to do 50kg but both squat rack and smith machine were used. Preset bars only go to 45kg)
    Dumbell Shoulder Press - 9kg / 19lb
    Wide Grip Lat Pulldown 47kg / 103lb (my very first I did 15kg but this was a tricep pulldown in error)
    Lunge - 12kg / 26lb This stayed the same. I have really struggled with lunges and form so intially went down and worked my way back up. Plus my forearms BURN when I do them with 12kg.

I've changed gyms since I moved (and am a bit devestated. My new gym is 9.8km away. If I lived 10km away they'd cancel my contract. Directly across the road from my estate is Jetts. Less than a km! But have another 9 months on contract) It's so much smaller but OMG the men in there! It's pretty much a sausage fest but everyone's been really nice. But they're such idiots most of them! Small number do their workouts and are gone. Most of them sit and talk for ages and do nothing. When you want to work in will suddenly start working out. One guy tonight had one of those super long singlets on (do they sell them like that or do the men stretch them?) and was stroking his pecs when looking in the mirror. I **** you not! Managed to control myself that time. Second guy (different one!) walked up towards the eliptical when I was doing my swiss ball crunches TOOK HIS SHIRT OFF and started flexing! I was in tears. Thankfully managed to not laugh out loud but I was literally crying.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options

Finished Stage 1 tonight! ...

... It's so much smaller but OMG the men in there! It's pretty much a sausage fest but everyone's been really nice. But they're such idiots most of them! Small number do their workouts and are gone. Most of them sit and talk for ages and do nothing. When you want to work in will suddenly start working out. One guy tonight had one of those super long singlets on (do they sell them like that or do the men stretch them?) and was stroking his pecs when looking in the mirror. I **** you not! Managed to control myself that time. Second guy (different one!) walked up towards the eliptical when I was doing my swiss ball crunches TOOK HIS SHIRT OFF and started flexing! I was in tears. Thankfully managed to not laugh out loud but I was literally crying.

@Lozze -- congratulations!!! Also, what a riot about the men in your gym. I've never seen anything like it in mine, but maybe that's because I'm there @ 5:30 am, and none of the clowns are early risers? LOL.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, long time no see, hope you are all doing well!

I just finished 4A today, nearly half-way finished Stage 1! I don't have my starting weights around, but I'm pretty sure I started my squats with a 20lb pre-weighted barbell, and now doing 80lbs. with the olympic bar (which is the standard 45lbs, nice!) today, whoo! I'm also up to 65lbs with the vertical row. Push-ups have been a much slower progress, as with the shoulder press (still at a wimpy 12.5lb dumbelll, hoping to do the 15lbs. tomorrow) It's personally really important to me to build up my upper body strength to try rock climbing for the very first time this summer.

One thing that I'm not proud about is my lack of cardio on my rest days. I still have 80lbs that I'd like to lose, and it's coming off slowly, but I'm finding that I lack the energy and motivation to get in 2 or 3 days of cardio inbetween the 'New Rules' workouts. I'm making it my goal to stick to this schedule:

Monday: NRoL
    Tuesday: Walk/hike 1hr
    Wednesday: NRoL
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: NRoL
    Saturday: Zumba 1hr
    Sunday: Rest (or 30m-1hr walk)
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, long time no see, hope you are all doing well!

I just finished 4A today, nearly half-way finished Stage 1! I don't have my starting weights around, but I'm pretty sure I started my squats with a 20lb pre-weighted barbell, and now doing 80lbs. with the olympic bar (which is the standard 45lbs, nice!) today, whoo! I'm also up to 65lbs with the vertical row. Push-ups have been a much slower progress, as with the shoulder press (still at a wimpy 12.5lb dumbelll, hoping to do the 15lbs. tomorrow) It's personally really important to me to build up my upper body strength to try rock climbing for the very first time this summer.

One thing that I'm not proud about is my lack of cardio on my rest days. I still have 80lbs that I'd like to lose, and it's coming off slowly, but I'm finding that I lack the energy and motivation to get in 2 or 3 days of cardio inbetween the 'New Rules' workouts. I'm making it my goal to stick to this schedule:

Monday: NRoL
    Tuesday: Walk/hike 1hr
    Wednesday: NRoL
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: NRoL
    Saturday: Zumba 1hr
    Sunday: Rest (or 30m-1hr walk)

I'm so tired these past two weeks, too, and while I am doing cardio, I'm exhausted.

I've been doing Stage 1 of NROL 3x/week for 5 weeks now. Prior to starting NROL, I used to do 6 days/week cardio with some paddleboarding (primarily core/resistance) thrown in on top. Although I have cut back significantly on cardio, I still need to teach 2 spin classes per week, and they are much longer and more intense than the book recommends.

I've been doing:

M: NROL
    T: teach 45 min spin
    W: NROL
    F: 1 hour paddleboarding
    S: NROL
    S: off

I'm eating at TDEE, but these past two weeks as I'm increasing weight, I am wiped out during spin class. For example today, I only averaged 206 watts (thought I was gonna die, too), when I usually hit around 230.

Actually, I'm wiped out in general --TIRED.

Anyone else experience this? Will it pass? I've been teaching spin for over 8 years, so I'm certainly used to it.

What do you ladies think?
  • HurrikaneHeather721
    Options
    Dumb Question - when you guys post your weights, and it's a dumbbell exercise, are you talking about per hand? Like if I was using 10 pound dumbbells, do I list that as 10 pounds, or 20 pounds?
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,987 Member
    Options
    On my charting, Hurri, I list "10 DB" to mean a 10 lb DB in each hand. If I'm using a plate, then I'd list it as "25 P". And, if I'm using the Olympic Bar, I list it as "OB". "BW" means body-weight on my chart.
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I just realized my only post to this thread was a completely random comment. So I guess I need to sort of introduce myself.

I am supposed to be going on workout 5A. I joined the gym this week and met with a trainer. The first session was really good. He helped me with the equipment and checked my form on the exercises. Today did not go like I wanted. He had me doing something completely different. So, I haven't actually done 4B. I'm going to cancel my next session I think, and just meet with him when it get ready to start stage 2. I guess I'll just go on with 5A for now.

Anyway, I didnt want to just be a creepy lurker, and was starting to feel that way. :)
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Hi, Jessica. :flowerforyou:
  • amyrobynne
    amyrobynne Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My husband commented on how strong my shoulders felt -- and I didn't mention how much shoulder work I've been doing or ask him how they felt or anything -- he just commented out of the blue! Since I feel like pushups and the shoulder work have been the hardest part of this for me, that was like the best thing he could have said!

I did 3A today and felt pretty good. I don't feel like such a goofball in the weight room anymore. An old lady was doing pushups on the Smith machine and I finally understood how to pull that off. It felt way better than doing them against the cement ledge I had been using. Maybe I'll try doing a few on my just-carpeted-last-week stairs at home on off-days. I'm still closer to the 60 degree mark than 45, but now I feel like my form is decent enough to start moving down.

I'm up to 65 lbs on squats, 50 on the seated row, and 20 in each hand for step-ups. I watched the NRoL video of prone jackknives and then did them so I could look sideways at the mirror (instead of towards it) and felt more confident with those too.

I'd like to do more cardio on non-lifting days but things have been too busy lately, so at least that's still following the programs's suggestions. I was up a pound today despite eating at a slight deficit and I'm curious whether it was water weight or if I'm gaining measurable muscle. Next week I'll go get measured on the body fat scale and see what's up.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options

I'm so tired these past two weeks, too, and while I am doing cardio, I'm exhausted.

I've been doing Stage 1 of NROL 3x/week for 5 weeks now. Prior to starting NROL, I used to do 6 days/week cardio with some paddleboarding (primarily core/resistance) thrown in on top. Although I have cut back significantly on cardio, I still need to teach 2 spin classes per week, and they are much longer and more intense than the book recommends.

I've been doing:

M: NROL
    W: NROL
    F: 1 hour paddleboarding
    S: NROL
    S: off

I'm eating at TDEE, but these past two weeks as I'm increasing weight, I am wiped out during spin class. For example today, I only averaged 206 watts (thought I was gonna die, too), when I usually hit around 230.

Actually, I'm wiped out in general --TIRED.

Anyone else experience this? Will it pass? I've been teaching spin for over 8 years, so I'm certainly used to it.

What do you ladies think?

Interesting. I'm starting to think that it's a result of increasing resistance. Maybe our bodies just have to go through an adjustment period before we get our energy back. I hope so at least!

@HurrikaneHeat - In my log I just write down dumbell weights like this: 15lb x 2. For Olympic bar use (which is 45lbs. at my gym), I write the total weight of the bar and plates (instead of something like Oly bar + 30lb) to keep things from getting confusing.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I just finished B6 today and I am so happy to see a small drop in weight for the first time since I started this. :) I expect to see more weight loss happen during my week break, hooray!

also - cannot WAIT to do measurements. I have been holding off - waiting til break week to do them! i feel stronger sure, and a bit smaller too!
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Hope you're all doing well.

@Sleepytexan I've been exhausted, too--but I noticed this week when I couldn't fit extra cardio in because of my kids' school vacation and a busy work schedule I was actually less tired. Could you cut out the paddleboarding for a week or two?
  • cirka2002
    cirka2002 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

I did workout 2B yesterday and I am really looking forward to increasing my weight next week and trying something harder! I did push myself and went up to 15lb-DB on the shoulder press. But my shoulders were achy from Wed kickboxing class, so I had to go down to 10lbs on my version of the pull down (don't have a machine so I do an alternative - did 15lb on workout 1B).

I thing the crunches on the swiss ball are going to get interesting. I usually do a lot of sit-ups, so these are super easy for me. Yesterday I did them with my arms extended beyond my head with a 5lb-DB and they were still really easy! I was shocked.

I am also not feeling like such a goof at the weights and am gaining more confidence. And yes, I too am finding myself a lot more tired lately!

Keep up the good work everyone!
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Checking in before my week 7 work-out. I should always add that I am working from home and making modifications because of that. I hope my assisted pull-ups are improving but it's hard to tell if I'm using my foot on the chair less! :tongue: Now, the increase in weights is measurable so that has been great to see!

I have noticed that to add to the challenge of the floor push-up some are elevating their feet. I might try that today. Could be interesting!

:flowerforyou: Have a great weekend all!
  • llujan88
    llujan88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, I'm excited to start Level 1 on Monday. I plan to do a few weeks at home before I enter the gym. Unfortunately the only time I can get to the gym is when it is super busy plus I want to feel more confident. My hubby usually goes to the gym with me on Wednesdays so he can help get more familiar with all the weights/machines.

So my question is, what modications do you make when you don't have access to do seated row or lateral pull?
  • jbrown78
    jbrown78 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi girls, on my way to do B3 this am. Still loving this program but I think I am going to add some (major?) cardio on off days. I am borrowing Insanity from a friend and think my week will look like this

Sunday off
    Monday lifting
    Tuesday Insanity
    Wednesday Lifting
    Thursday Insanity
    Friday Lifting
    Saturday Insanity(OR OFF)

But I will see how it goes. My doctor just lower my thyroid medication so that may effect my energy level as well. Have a great day everyone and DIG DEEP!
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    After my Easter weekend binge (that's really all I can call it at this point!) - my weight shot up more than the regular 2-3 lbs I've been up since starting NROL a month ago. So I threw in some extra cardio this week on a couple of days and *phew*, it's back down. But I realized how much I missed Turbo Jam style workouts and so I think I might start including at least 2 days of that in the week for a little extra burn (I like to eat!). Plus I noticed when doing Turbo Jam/Turbo Fire - it's a REALLY great cardio workout but it is awesome for shaping the lower back and abs....and it feels really good to get the blood flow going to the upper body after a tough weight training workout!

With regards to push-ups....grrrrr....I can lift a bunch of weight but when it comes to push-ups I'm still trying! This past workout I started my first set with 4 on-the-toes push-ups and had to switch to doing them off the smith machine (not sure of my angle but I have the pins at the 4th hole from the bottom, so it's still pretty low), 2nd set I did 3 on my toes then back to smith for the rest, and the last set I had to do all on smith. Boy has my chest/shoulders/arms felt the effects from those stinkin' things!! I'm determined to do them ALL on my toes at some point...but I'm just not strong enough yet. :/ I am really happy that he wrote the book to say NO ON YOUR KNEES PUSH-UPS! I could do those until the cows came home and I never knew what I was missing out on by doing them at progressive angles! WHAT a DIFFERENCE! So seriously ladies - if you are on your knees, get off of them. You are seriously cheating yourself. Find different surfaces/bars to do the angled push-ups until you get to your toes. :)
  • DisneySkaGirl
    Options
    Hey ladies, I have a question for you. I just finished stage one, and I made super gains in the deadlift and the squat, and I know I can keep gaining steadily on those. But I completely stalled out on the dumbell overhead presses. I started light, but made it up top 20 by about the 4 week or so. And it got easy by the 6th week, but when I went to try the 25s, nothing. I have kept trying to use the 25s and then settling for completing my reps at 20, so I guess my quesiton is, is it normal to not be able to make the jump from one weight to another sometimes? And how can I push through it?