Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    The way the gym is set up, it is difficult to do the program as written. Things are spread out all over the place. And as soon as you finish one set, some blockhead will jump on the machine, and there goes the rest of your sets.

I have no qualms about moving stuff around. I dragged a step board into the weight area last night, I roll the big ball to wear I need it and I drag my dumbbells next to the cable machines I'm using and I tell the guys, "we'll switch off because I'm super setting." Last night i did my Romanian squats using the seat of the lat machine so I wouldn't have to walk away from it. Some guy tried to jack my incline bench that I was using for my Cuban snatches while I was doing reverse lunges, but because I had my step board right behind it I was able to tell him to get lost. ( I DO put everything back when I'm done :happy: )

You are my hero. Lol!

Really, I wish I were better able to speak up to guys like that. As big of a B as I can be sometimes, I really shrink from confrontation. Or anything that feels confrontational.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I move stuff around too and take measures to put my stuff back in the correct spot even if I didn't find it the correct spot. I have the opportunity to go any time I would like and haven't had a problem sharing.
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I guess I need to decide if following this program to the letter is that important to me. Or if I'm okay with modifying it to suit my needs and situation. Lifting is important to me, I know that for sure.

I modified the program, I think that's ok. I loved the book, loved the philosophy, but there were a couple of things that didn't work for me: my gym was missing a couple of things in the book (so I googled until I found similar moves that I could do), and I need to work out every day or I will just stop going (so I broke up the exercises and created a daily workout instead of 3 days a week).

I think that even if you don't do EXACTLY what the book says, you are still working and you're going to see change! We all have different places we are starting from, some to lose weight, some to gain muscle, some to feel strong, some to look good in a bikini, or whatever. The point is that we're all trying our best to follow the philosophy in the book. Everyone in this group has been great and we're all here to support each other :-)
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    The way the gym is set up, it is difficult to do the program as written. Things are spread out all over the place. And as soon as you finish one set, some blockhead will jump on the machine, and there goes the rest of your sets.

I have no qualms about moving stuff around. I dragged a step board into the weight area last night, I roll the big ball to wear I need it and I drag my dumbbells next to the cable machines I'm using and I tell the guys, "we'll switch off because I'm super setting." Last night i did my Romanian squats using the seat of the lat machine so I wouldn't have to walk away from it. Some guy tried to jack my incline bench that I was using for my Cuban snatches while I was doing reverse lunges, but because I had my step board right behind it I was able to tell him to get lost. ( I DO put everything back when I'm done :happy: )

You are my hero. Lol!

Really, I wish I were better able to speak up to guys like that. As big of a B as I can be sometimes, I really shrink from confrontation. Or anything that feels confrontational.
    No confrontation needed. I smile and say hey can we alternate, or sorry I'm still using that. The guys at my gym are pretty nice. i'm one of the only girls in the free weight area so there is respect. I'm such a mom when it comes to the gym. I get son angry when things aren't put away properly that I end up cleaning stuff up. Can't help myself. :blushing:
  • Jessica1274
    Options
    I guess I need to decide if following this program to the letter is that important to me. Or if I'm okay with modifying it to suit my needs and situation. Lifting is important to me, I know that for sure.

I modified the program, I think that's ok. I loved the book, loved the philosophy, but there were a couple of things that didn't work for me: my gym was missing a couple of things in the book (so I googled until I found similar moves that I could do), and I need to work out every day or I will just stop going (so I broke up the exercises and created a daily workout instead of 3 days a week).

I think that even if you don't do EXACTLY what the book says, you are still working and you're going to see change! We all have different places we are starting from, some to lose weight, some to gain muscle, some to feel strong, some to look good in a bikini, or whatever. The point is that we're all trying our best to follow the philosophy in the book. Everyone in this group has been great and we're all here to support each other :-)

This is encouraging. Thank you. I guess I just needed to hear that it's "okay". KWIM? It's the philosophy of the book that I like so much. And THAT I can follow, even if I don't follow the workouts to the letter.

This group has been great. I'm really enjoying being part of it. :)
  • Jessica1274
    Options

No confrontation needed. I smile and say hey can we alternate, or sorry I'm still using that. The guys at my gym are pretty nice. i'm one of the only girls in the free weight area so there is respect. I'm such a mom when it comes to the gym. I get son angry when things aren't put away properly that I end up cleaning stuff up. Can't help myself. :blushing:

Why can't it be that easy for me? I get all anxious and stressed.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies!

I've been away for a few days, got to take a trip to Cancun. Ready to get back to it tomorrow.
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, not in a good place mentally and could really do with some support. I've been told to stop all exercise (apart from walking) until I've finished my intense chiropractor treatment which is another 3 weeks away. I jumped on the scales at the week end and have gained 4lbs. Last night went on mammoth binge after getting results back from chiro that I have wear and tear in my neck and that heavy weights is a complete no no until all the treatment is finished (approx 3 months).

The neck issue is why my arm isn't healing (pain and numbness) and because my arm is not functioning properly its causing strain in the lower back/pelvis also.

I really feel down, especially when I'm reading of all the progress on here (beeps you rock with your NSV!!) and how I was really enjoying the changes it was making to my body.

I have to listen to the chiro and take their advice, my job is physical as you all know, and I can't afford to not take their advice. I've learnt a huge lesson about not nipping injuries in the bud and seeking advice straight-away (why oh why didn't I take my own advice when I'm telling clients this).

Any how just writing this all down helped. Bingeing is old habits of coping with emotions, so its back to finding that good place again (in my head) and starving to compensate won't help.

Thanks all for listening. Just didn't want you thinking I'd given up.
  • jk262
    jk262 Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm starting out right when I get out of work in a couple hours. Reading your posts have been very encouraging to start the program!
  • Jessica1274
    Options
    Hi everyone, not in a good place mentally and could really do with some support. I've been told to stop all exercise (apart from walking) until I've finished my intense chiropractor treatment which is another 3 weeks away. I jumped on the scales at the week end and have gained 4lbs. Last night went on mammoth binge after getting results back from chiro that I have wear and tear in my neck and that heavy weights is a complete no no until all the treatment is finished (approx 3 months).

The neck issue is why my arm isn't healing (pain and numbness) and because my arm is not functioning properly its causing strain in the lower back/pelvis also.

I really feel down, especially when I'm reading of all the progress on here (beeps you rock with your NSV!!) and how I was really enjoying the changes it was making to my body.

I have to listen to the chiro and take their advice, my job is physical as you all know, and I can't afford to not take their advice. I've learnt a huge lesson about not nipping injuries in the bud and seeking advice straight-away (why oh why didn't I take my own advice when I'm telling clients this).

Any how just writing this all down helped. Bingeing is old habits of coping with emotions, so its back to finding that good place again (in my head) and starving to compensate won't help.

:-( I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I had similar problems several years ago, so I can truly empathize. Listen to your doctors, and hang in there. Good for you for recognizing the old habit creeping in and putting a stop to it.
  • Jessica1274
    Options
    I went back to the gym this morning. Anchor Arms-Meathead was there again. At first it seemed like it might be a repeat of Monday. I had sat down at the lat-pull down station. He sat directly in front of me to do something on a Swiss ball. Just as he was starting he rolled off the ball and hit the floor. Obviously I found this funny! He saw me laughing, and he laughed, shook his head and said it was the second time he fell off today. Ice broken. Suddenly I don't find this guy as intimidating. Lol!

I also changed the workout a tiny bit, and moved some equipment around for other parts. Maybe the gym will be okay...
  • aekriebs
    aekriebs Posts: 45
    Options

Why can't it be that easy for me? I get all anxious and stressed.

I think a big smile goes a long way. Those men just aren't expecting that feminine charm in the weight room and it really knocks em off their feet. :)

I also find in almost all situations that it's how you phrase your question/statement that matters. Instead of "I was using that," try "Do you mind if I just finish my last set here? Then the machine is all yours."

Then, they almost can't say no - they would be a HUGE jerk.
  • kcfaber
    kcfaber Posts: 123 Member
    Options

so sorry to read this!!! Very frustrating. Is there anything you can be cleared to do--even lighter weights? Recumbent bike/elliptical/swimming? Do you have any structured physical therapy stuff you can do outside of the chiropractor part? Just want you to have something that you can do that will keep you active and motivated. What about using exercise bands that are not too heavy? Totally agree that you have to defer to their judgment but maybe they can suggest some alternatives. Obviously have to listen to your body and don't want to do anything to make it worse, but maybe there is something that you could do. Anyway, hugs and keep us posted. You have seen the benefits of the strength training even in this short time so that will motivate you to return to it as soon as you are able. sending all positive thoughts your way and thanks for checking in!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,989 Member
    Options
    gillee!!! Hmmmmm....can you seek a second opinion (from another chiro - or from a physical therapist)?? It seems strange, to me, that you would have to cease ALL weight-bearing exercise. Meaning: if the injury is to your neck, why can't you do body-weight squats and lunges. Why can't you do push-ups?? (You might have all these answers - I am asking out of curiousity!)

Why can't you do bicep curls or leg press??

I want you to heal, for sure, and to get to an "injury-free" place....but, there must be SOMETHING you can do in the meantime??

Don't worry about the weight-gain - that's a red herring and unimportant. And, if you can do some cardio, I think that would be great, if for no other reason than to help manage stress levels and keep the happy hormones coming!!

(((gillee)))
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    [cross-post with kcfaber]
  • kcfaber
    kcfaber Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Beeps: read my mind as usual. Ha! simultaneous posts!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    How old are you Jessica?? I'm curious....

In my 20's, I used to weight-train with my younger brother and he'd do all the hunting/gathering of machines and spare parts, for me. Don't know if I was "intimidated" or not - but I also was using Barbie weights (now that I think about it).

I'm in my 40's. The guys in the gym don't intimidate me AT ALL. We are all there for a good purpose - to get a work-out in - and I think "collaboration" beats "competition" in the weight room (for me).

I am lucky that I go at a time when the weight room is probably least busy (over the lunch hour), and the men in there tend to leave me alone, for the most part. I move stuff from ALL over the place to my work-out area - and I move it ALL back, when I'm done. Sometimes I whistle (when the song on my ipod commands me to - and I'm standing there for a longer rest period). And, sometimes I probably tap my toes, too. I'm tall - and that likely intimidates most of them. And, I'm moving around heavy stuff - so any of the girls leave me alone, too.

I really like the weight room - I feel like I'm in my element. Like my purpose of "getting stronger" actually MEANS SOMETHING.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    gillee - so sorry you are having to go thru this!! It's defintetly a good lesson to not let injuries get too far, but to take care of them right away. I third what kcfaber and beeps stated, but don't discount walking. No you won't get stronger, but you will be able to keep your weight down. I lost 30 lbs before I got pregnant walking and counting calories. Hopefully you can heal sooner and it may be worth a second opinion, 3 months is a long time.

jessica - glad things went better in the gym!

I started Stage 2 yesterday and those FPSS were a bit awkward, but not as bad as I thought they would be from reading everyone's comments. I'm so glad I work out at home!!
  • Jessica1274
    Options
    How old are you Jessica?? I'm curious....

In my 20's, I used to weight-train with my younger brother and he'd do all the hunting/gathering of machines and spare parts, for me. Don't know if I was "intimidated" or not - but I also was using Barbie weights (now that I think about it).

I'm in my 40's. The guys in the gym don't intimidate me AT ALL. We are all there for a good purpose - to get a work-out in - and I think "collaboration" beats "competition" in the weight room (for me).

I am lucky that I go at a time when the weight room is probably least busy (over the lunch hour), and the men in there tend to leave me alone, for the most part. I move stuff from ALL over the place to my work-out area - and I move it ALL back, when I'm done. Sometimes I whistle (when the song on my ipod commands me to - and I'm standing there for a longer rest period). And, sometimes I probably tap my toes, too. I'm tall - and that likely intimidates most of them. And, I'm moving around heavy stuff - so any of the girls leave me alone, too.

I really like the weight room - I feel like I'm in my element. Like my purpose of "getting stronger" actually MEANS SOMETHING.

I'm 37. I'm 5'8" and 157. I'm much less intimidated than I was in my 20's for sure. I think it's just a growth process, ya know? It's a new environment--I feel unsure. Put me outdoors in a canoe or on a trail, I'm in my element. :).
    I think if today was any indicator, I'll get used to it and learn to love it.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Yes, you will!! That's the spirit!!

Everything takes practice....