Stage 1

Options

Replies

• jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Doing workout A3 tonight. So down in reps. This means upping the weight, right?

So question about squats...with the weight I'm currently using I'm not quite getting to parallel, let alone lower. So should I keep the weight the same and continue to work on proper form or go a bit heavier and keep doing what I've been doing?

Drop your weight. I'm actually going to do this on my next A workout. I'm just not getting low enough. There's no reason to do more weight if you're not getting the benefit.
  • cpa8198
    cpa8198 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Completed A5 last night... whew! That 3rd set sure makes a difference.
    Kept most of the weights the same as A4.

Squats - 85 lbs

*Had to do in reverse order b/c the machine was occupied

Step ups - 25 lb plate ea hand - no rest between sets this time
    Jackknife - 15 reps

Push-ups - back on the bench, elbows in
    Seated rows I increased to 70 lbs for 2 sets then back down to 60 lbs for the third set.

For the pushups, is it better to go to the floor on knees, or stay on bench on toes?
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    For the pushups, is it better to go to the floor on knees, or stay on bench on toes?

I think stay on the bench on toes. I can do pushups on my knees on the floor with good form with not much of a problem, but doing them on my knees I can't even get out 1 or 2, with good form.
  • loricolwill
    Options
    Doing workout A3 tonight. So down in reps. This means upping the weight, right?

So question about squats...with the weight I'm currently using I'm not quite getting to parallel, let alone lower. So should I keep the weight the same and continue to work on proper form or go a bit heavier and keep doing what I've been doing?

Drop your weight. I'm actually going to do this on my next A workout. I'm just not getting low enough. There's no reason to do more weight if you're not getting the benefit.

Thanks for the input. And thanks for the thoughts on the Smith machine. It's nice to hear from someone that has actually used it, that doesn't hate it. I will stick with dumbbells for now, but now that the Smith machine is an option when I start really lifting "heavy".:wink:
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Finished 6A today. Squats are rough for me :)

I had just moved up to the Olympic bar last week and was feeling pretty good about it.
    Today I added just 5 measly pounds to each side (total 55#) and I just couldn't squat below parallel.

I'm going to go back to just the bar next time and get them good and low!!! Frustrating.

Pushups still going slow and I'm going to attempt my first set next time from the bench rather than a 45 degree. I won't make it through a whole set but I'll start there and move up when I fail. I'm getting up the courage to "fail" at the gym :)

Otherwise it's ticking along well! I do love the prone jackknives... seriously.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Finished 2 A tonight but had to drop down in weights on squats (with dumbbells) because the other dumbbells were in use as were the squat machine.
    and i had to dop my weight on step ups since my left thigh is sooo sore from Bulgarian split squat..
  • austelle
    austelle Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Dead lift - 30 lbs, I'm really concerned about form here and really afraid of hurting my back as I have a weak back to begin with.

To those of you concerned about proper form and injury: I can totally relate. For me personally, most of stage one has been about learning proper form. I have not increased weights a great deal but have learned how to lunge, deadlift, and squat properly. These videos on deadlifts were very helpful to me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX8jgCFXYTU&feature=relmfu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA&feature=relmfu
    There are more on squats, etc. Also, if you are working out at the gym, don't hesitate to ask the personal trainers for advice--I have found ours to be more than willing to check form.
  • Kooopons
    Kooopons Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies. I did 4B today. I just watched some dead lifting you tubes for form purposes. Mark Rippetoe has a good one on how to set yourself up for it. How to stand and grab the bar and pull up.

Here is the link if anyone is interested
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA

Push ups- still killer for me too. Last time I did 1/2 at 30% and had to go to 45%. At 30 % I was dying and shaking at about 6. So frustrating. I'm wondering if I'll get to the floor by the time I'm through stage 1. I'm at 15lbs on the shoulder press and would like to go up but not sure I can do 20 (my next size up). I need some add on weights for an in between like 18lbs.

Whoever said they love jackknifes- ME TOO!! Love them. I started out barely able to do them, but now I love them.
  • Kooopons
    Options
    Dead lift - 30 lbs, I'm really concerned about form here and really afraid of hurting my back as I have a weak back to begin with.

To those of you concerned about proper form and injury: I can totally relate. For me personally, most of stage one has been about learning proper form. I have not increased weights a great deal but have learned how to lunge, deadlift, and squat properly. These videos on deadlifts were very helpful to me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX8jgCFXYTU&feature=relmfu
    There are more on squats, etc. Also, if you are working out at the gym, don't hesitate to ask the personal trainers for advice--I have found ours to be more than willing to check form.

LOL- I just posted a you tube from Mark Rippetoe. I didn't see yours, the first one is great, thanks for posting!
  • Kooopons
    Options
    I am off to do workout 5B today - and I am still having so much trouble with Dead Lifts - especially after meathead at the gym told me I was going to hurt my back but didn't offer anyway to correct it. So now I am terrified of them -- UGH! Any suggestions for this problem?

I've been watching a lot of instructional videos on it and from what I've seen so far, if you don't keep the bar touching your shin and legs the whole way, you'll put stress on your back. The bar should be close to your legs up and down- touching basically. If the bar moves further out you'll put stress on your back. Watch a few of the videos posted for some form instruction.
  • austelle
    austelle Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    @kooopons, yes on keeping the bar close to your legs! Your feet should be shoulder width apart and underneath the bar. Your foot should be bisected by the bar. Grasp the bar, slightly more than shoulder width and roll it up your legs. Keep your chest up and look straight ahead. (That was a kicker for me) Roll the bar back down your legs. I just finally got the hang of rolling the bar up and down my legs last week and I am on workout 7!
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Workout 6A today:
    Squats: 125. I was dying to get to 130, but 125 was pretty tough today.
    Pushups: put my feet on a weight bench and lifted one leg up. Dare I say I"m liking pushups these days?
    Seated Rows: 110 lbs. I thought my arms were going to be yanked from the sockets at rep 7, but finished them.
    Step ups: 100 lbs. I've been doing these in the squat rack and stepping up on a plyo box. Only 12 inches, but I really wanted to get to the 100 mark today.
    Jackknifes: Doing these like pikes now. I don't mind them either. :)
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Workout 6A today:
    Pushups: put my feet on a weight bench and lifted one leg up. Dare I say I"m liking pushups these days?
    Seated Rows: 110 lbs. I thought my arms were going to be yanked from the sockets at rep 7, but finished them.
    Step ups: 100 lbs. I've been doing these in the squat rack and stepping up on a plyo box. Only 12 inches, but I really wanted to get to the 100 mark today.

I find those weights astounding! Did you lift before you started stage 1?!
    You're lifting 3x as much weight as me and I think mine was 6A today too. Nice work!
    It's great to know what some people can do because it helps me strive for it as well. A few months ago I would NEVER thought I could do what I am doing now... today I'm thinking of what I'll be doing in the future!
  • keggen
    keggen Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I know this has been asked before, and I did try looking for it...

How high is your "step" on the step-up?
    On this thread, I have seen shin high, 24" (WOW!), and 12 inches.
    I'm using 10 inches. That's the highest stable thing I have around without using a chair (too high for me).
  • loricolwill
    Options

Thanks so much for posting those links. They were very helpful. I've pinpointed several things I was doing wrong. Can't wait to try again on Friday.
  • loricolwill
    Options
    I know this has been asked before, and I did try looking for it...

How high is your "step" on the step-up?
    On this thread, I have seen shin high, 24" (WOW!), and 12 inches.
    I'm using 10 inches. That's the highest stable thing I have around without using a chair (too high for me).

There is no right height, I think. I think it is a combination of the weight you are holding and the height of the step. Then you treat it like the other exercises. Are you challenging yourself enough to where you are just able to complete the reps per set. For example today I used 20 lb dumbells. I find these just challenging to hold onto, so instead of increasing the weight, I raised the step to make it more challenging. If you can't really raise your step, then increase the weight.
  • loricolwill
    Options
    Workout 6A today:

Those numbers are amazing!
  • loricolwill
    Options
    Almost embarrassed to post my numbers after reading what is above. :smile: But here they are:

Workout 3A

Squats - lowered my weight to work on form. My quads are really screaming during these.
    Pushups - went back to 45* and kept elbows in!
    Seated rows - increased weight from 60 to 70 lbs
    Step ups - kept weight the same, but increased step from 2 to 3 risers
    Jack knifes - figured out that if you move the ball closer to your feet than to your knees, they are harder to do. :smile: Completed the
    12 reps, but woth more of a challenge.

Making progress and feeling stronger!
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Workout 6A today:

I find those weights astounding! Did you lift before you started stage 1?!
    You're lifting 3x as much weight as me and I think mine was 6A today too. Nice work!
    It's great to know what some people can do because it helps me strive for it as well. A few months ago I would NEVER thought I could do what I am doing now... today I'm thinking of what I'll be doing in the future!

Thanks! I lifted before New Rules, but only with dumbbells up to 20 lbs. max. I love the barbell! I feel like I've adjusted a few things (like the lunges & step ups) so I'm probably not following the book to a tee, but I feel good and strong! Sounds like you're doing great!
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Workout 6A today:

I hope I can get up to numbers like yours!!

Finished Stage 1 (similar to stage 6) with...
    Squats: 105
    Pushups: with feet up on bench starting in stage 2 workout A1
    Seated Rows: 80 lbs
    Step Ups: 40 lbs
    Deadlifts: 100 lbs
    Lunges: 60 lbs
    Wide grip lat pull down: 80 lbs
    dumbbell shoulder press: 50 lbs
    Seated row: 80 lbs

Started Stage 2 this week!:
    A:
    Front Squat/Push-press: 45 lbs (could only do 8 reps at 55lbs)
    Step - up: 50 lbs
    Dumbbell one-point row: 50 lbs
    Static Lunge, rear foot elevated: 70 lbs
    Pushups - with feet on bleachers
    Horizontal Wood Chops: 35 lbs
    B: (today's workout)
    Wide Grip Dead Lift from Box: 90lbs
    Bulgarian split squat: 25 lbs (could probably do more, upping next time although it said light weights in description)
    Underhand grip lat pulldown: 80lbs
    Reverse Lunge: 25 lbs
    Dumbbell Prone Cuban Snatch: 20 lbs

Did anyone else who's done stage 2 had a really hard time with the cuban snatches? It was hilarious - I felt like I was trying to use a muscle that didn't exist!! hahah I felt silly only using a 10lb-er in each hand when I'm used to lifting so much more!! Could hardly do 10lbs!

Note, things where you're holding a dumbbell in each hand (lunges, snatch, etc) the weight I report is the combined weight of the two dumbbells I'm holding.

Everyone is doing so great! :) Love this!