TDEE - What is it and why you should not eat below your BMR

Options

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    If I have this right, this is what my calorie intake should be?

I'm 26, 5feet tall, and 116 pounds.

BMR = 1313
    TDEE = 2035
    TDEE (-15%) = 1729

For my calorie intake...

Non-workout days: Average 1600-1700 cals
    Lifting Days: Average 1800-1900 cals
    Cardio Days: Try to net 1600-1700 cals, but AT LEAST 1300

Sound about right????

Okay, day one and I've already confused myself.....

Am I supposed to be NETTING these amounts? (For example, today I've eaten 1700 calories. I'm done eating for the day. In a few hours I'm going to go bike ride and burn 500-600 calories...at the end of my bike ride, do I just log the exercise and call it a day? Or and I supposed to eat more?)

Eat 1729 rain, sleet or shine and only eat more if you burn more than 400 cals, then you eat the excess:-)
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Hi Lucia, I have a question :) You said a few posts back to be consistent and eat the cut amount for 6 weeks, every day. Which I am more than happy doing, by the way. I find that I am quite obsessive about hitting my target!

Once the 6 weeks are over is it ok then to eat maybe 100 - 200 less for a day or 2 and roll it over to a day you know you'll be eating more, say a party or whatever?

Thanks and loving all the advice you give.
  • mgaither
    mgaither Posts: 115
    Options

BMR = 1313
    TDEE = 2035
    TDEE (-15%) = 1729

For my calorie intake...

Sound about right????

Am I supposed to be NETTING these amounts? (For example, today I've eaten 1700 calories. I'm done eating for the day. In a few hours I'm going to go bike ride and burn 500-600 calories...at the end of my bike ride, do I just log the exercise and call it a day? Or and I supposed to eat more?)

Eat 1729 rain, sleet or shine and only eat more if you burn more than 400 cals, then you eat the excess:-)

SWEET, that's SO less complicated than I was making it!
  • curiousheathy
    curiousheathy Posts: 108
    Options

BMR = 1313
    TDEE = 2035
    TDEE (-15%) = 1729

For my calorie intake...

Sound about right????

SWEET, that's SO less complicated than I was making it!

I also was confused until you cleared things up! So unless we exercise so that our burned calories is equal to or more than our TDEE cut - BMR, we just eat our cut! Makes sense! Thank you!!!!
  • mgaither
    mgaither Posts: 115
    Options
    I used this calculator http://bwsimulator.niddk.nih.gov/ and compared it to Scooby's...GOOD NEWS, got nearly the same numbers for BMR, etc.
    This makes me feel better that I'm in the right calorie range!
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Hi Lucia, I have a question :) You said a few posts back to be consistent and eat the cut amount for 6 weeks, every day. Which I am more than happy doing, by the way. I find that I am quite obsessive about hitting my target!

Once the 6 weeks are over is it ok then to eat maybe 100 - 200 less for a day or 2 and roll it over to a day you know you'll be eating more, say a party or whatever?

:smile: your gonna love this one...nope eat your cut and enjoy your party. When I was cutting I actually spiked twice a week on purpose. No more going down in cals, you are already at cut. Your body will aprreciate the spike.
  • lee155
    lee155 Posts: 120
    Options
    I have a question because I'm still not getting it. I work at home online job/ babysitting(once in awhile), but I workout 3-5 times a week for 60-120 mins a day. Does that count as lightly active or secondary (desk job little or no exercise?

Please look at my diary to see if I'm doing this correctly. I love eating more, I have more fuel, I don't feel weak and lazy anymore. I don't ever want to go back to 1200 calories. I have 6 more pounds to lose until I hit my goal weight.

21, 5'6, 136lb
    BRM - 1458
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Options

:smile: your gonna love this one...nope eat your cut and enjoy your party. When I was cutting I actually spiked twice a week on purpose. No more going down in cals, you are already at cut. Your body will aprreciate the spike.

• KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Definitely not light! Moderate rather...although up to 120 min a day...phew...thats actually too much.
    Did you use the Scooby calculator? Its on the stickys on the Discussion board, go check it out, will tell you exactly. :)
  • kay_bear52
    kay_bear52 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    giving it a go beginning today. I have to admit I am pretty scared about gaining but I am going to try this
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    I have a question because I'm still not getting it. I work at home online job/ babysitting(once in awhile), but I workout 3-5 times a week for 60-120 mins a day. Does that count as lightly active or secondary (desk job little or no exercise?

Please look at my diary to see if I'm doing this correctly. I love eating more, I have more fuel, I don't feel weak and lazy anymore. I don't ever want to go back to 1200 calories. I have 6 more pounds to lose until I hit my goal weight.

21, 5'6, 136lb
    BRM - 1458

Glad you watched the video...you are no less than moderate and depending on how intense your workouts are you could be the next level up.
  • lee155
    lee155 Posts: 120
    Options

21, 5'6, 136lb
    BRM - 1458

Glad you watched the video...you are no less than moderate and depending on how intense your workouts are you could be the next level up.

You are awesome :) thanks again. Now I know why I'm soooo hungry and dizzy all the time. I'm still not eating enough .
  • QOTC
    QOTC Posts: 20
    Options
    Talking about making something clear as mud, super duper crystal clear! Thank you so much! =) Off to see where I can find some additional calories! ;) Healthful ones, of course!
  • MargoPrior
    MargoPrior Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hello and I want to thank you for doing all of this great work and sharing with us all. I believe I am going to be putting myself in that 'confused' group too, but only for a short bit I hope. I am wanting to see if I understand things right so I have it ok for both myself and my daughter.

For me I have:
    BMR=1632
    TDEE=2244
    TDEE -20% = 1795
    (I chose to do the 20 percent since we both have quite a bit to lose, I hope that is ok?)

Daughter:
    BMR=2078
    TDEE=2858
    TDEE -20%=2286

So We would set our calorie Goals for:
    Me: 1795 on workout days
    Daughter: 2286 on workout days
    and we would Eat that many food calories? Do we consider the net at all or disregard it?

Also What about on non workout days if we have any?
    would it be like for
    Me: 1632
    Daughter: 2078?
    or do we eat the amounts I first listed of 1795 and 2286 no matter what each and every day whether we work out or not?

Thanks so much for your time, help and patience!! :-)
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Hello and I want to thank you for doing all of this great work and sharing with us all. I believe I am going to be putting myself in that 'confused' group too, but only for a short bit I hope. I am wanting to see if I understand things right so I have it ok for both myself and my daughter.

For me I have:
    BMR=1632
    TDEE=2244
    TDEE -20% = 1795
    (I chose to do the 20 percent since we both have quite a bit to lose, I hope that is ok?)

Daughter:
    BMR=2078
    TDEE=2858
    TDEE -20%=2286

So We would set our calorie Goals for:
    Me: 1795 on workout days
    Daughter: 2286 on workout days
    and we would Eat that many food calories? Do we consider the net at all or disregard it?

Also What about on non workout days if we have any?
    would it be like for
    Me: 1632
    Daughter: 2078?
    or do we eat the amounts I first listed of 1795 and 2286 no matter what each and every day whether we work out or not?

Thanks so much for your time, help and patience!! :-)

If you figured out your activity level correctly then you eat the same calories every day because exercise calories are already figured into the cut calories #'s. But if you have a strenuous workout that takes you below your BMR then you will have to eat extra calories to net your BMR.

For example your calories for the day are 1795 and your workout was 500 calories that would take you below your BMR of 1632, so you would need to eat a extra 337 to net your BMR. 1795-500=1295,1632(BMR) - 1295= 337 So you have to 1795+ 337 = 2132 for that day. Make sense?
  • Arwhite1865
    Arwhite1865 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've just discovered why I've been bouncing up and down within the same three-pound range (214-216 lbs) and haven't lost any weight in the past three weeks. I've been eating around 1640/day, but based on calculations I've just done by following directions in this thread, I should be eating at least 2,341. Scary to think about eating this much on purpose, but this makes a ton of sense. Thanks so much!
  • applejack2
    applejack2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Please help. 5' , 168, scooby bmr 1361 ,TDEE 1872= daily calories 1498 lightly active 64 year old. I've been on MFP 25 days using their 1200 calories and lost 7 lbs. I am serious about being healthy and want to use the correct calculations. Thanks for your help.
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I've been going at this for two weeks and seen this group recommended and I see why. The information here is fantastic!! I've not seen any changes yet but I'm former low-carber and 1200cal gal, so I'm expecting this to take a bit of time!
    If someone could make sure I'm understanding right I'd appreciate it!

BMR=1663
    TDEE=2578
    TDEE (-20%)=2063

I should be eating that 2063 every day no matter what, correct? Doesn't matter if it's a rest day or anything like that?

I understand I don't want to eat *below* my BMR...so right now I eat pretty much right around 2000, give or take some, and my daily burn is anywhere from 350-450 (I'm doing Ripped in 30). Some days I throw in a 20 minute bike ride or some pilates/yoga; if my burn puts me below my BMR do I need to eat some more? I've got the activity level set at moderate because I rarely exceed 5 hours a week, so I just want to make sure I'm on track.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Please help. 5' , 168, scooby bmr 1361 ,TDEE 1872= daily calories 1498 lightly active 64 year old. I've been on MFP 25 days using their 1200 calories and lost 7 lbs. I am serious about being healthy and want to use the correct calculations. Thanks for your help.

What cut val did you use? You should use 15% you should be cloer to 1600.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    I've been going at this for two weeks and seen this group recommended and I see why. The information here is fantastic!! I've not seen any changes yet but I'm former low-carber and 1200cal gal, so I'm expecting this to take a bit of time!
    If someone could make sure I'm understanding right I'd appreciate it!

BMR=1663
    TDEE=2578
    TDEE (-20%)=2063

I should be eating that 2063 every day no matter what, correct? Doesn't matter if it's a rest day or anything like that?

I understand I don't want to eat *below* my BMR...so right now I eat pretty much right around 2000, give or take some, and my daily burn is anywhere from 350-450 (I'm doing Ripped in 30). Some days I throw in a 20 minute bike ride or some pilates/yoga; if my burn puts me below my BMR do I need to eat some more? I've got the activity level set at moderate because I rarely exceed 5 hours a week, so I just want to make sure I'm on track.

You got it!