ONCE you have your TDEE and BMR...next step

Options

Replies

• ChrissyLu723
    ChrissyLu723 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    hi I am just joining your group today and I hope someone can help this old lady lol

Some background on me, I joined MFP in May 2011, started following daily in June 2011, I was working as a PCA so I was walking and on my feet all day...from June until now I have lost 88 lbs..I started at 263.8 I am now 175.8 I no longer work as a PCA, I deliver papers (walking route about an hour a day walk) I work PT 4-5 hours 3 days a week and I stand during that time. When I am home I'm either working on the computer for my other job or just doing normal house work. I have my activity level set to Sedentary, since I really don't do a whole lot. On my days off my husband and I try to walk at least an hour a day, sometimes ride our bikes 5-6 miles.

MFP has my calories at 1280 a day. I went to fitness frog and got my TDEE and BMR
    TDEE 1798
    BMR 1499

If I calculated right I should be eating 1528 calories a day?

Can someone just tell me if I am right, I have 25 lbs to go to goal and would love to be there by my 47th birthday in November.
  • summaryzn
    summaryzn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ChrissyLu723
    Options
    bumping this hoping someone can tell me if I am correct with my numbers.
  • SweetSapphire
    SweetSapphire Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    hi I am just joining your group today and I hope someone can help this old lady lol

Some background on me, I joined MFP in May 2011, started following daily in June 2011, I was working as a PCA so I was walking and on my feet all day...from June until now I have lost 88 lbs..I started at 263.8 I am now 175.8 I no longer work as a PCA, I deliver papers (walking route about an hour a day walk) I work PT 4-5 hours 3 days a week and I stand during that time. When I am home I'm either working on the computer for my other job or just doing normal house work. I have my activity level set to Sedentary, since I really don't do a whole lot. On my days off my husband and I try to walk at least an hour a day, sometimes ride our bikes 5-6 miles.

MFP has my calories at 1280 a day. I went to fitness frog and got my TDEE and BMR
    TDEE 1798
    BMR 1499

If I calculated right I should be eating 1528 calories a day?

Can someone just tell me if I am right, I have 25 lbs to go to goal and would love to be there by my 47th birthday in November.

Hi, I am going to be 47 in September and I am currently weighing 177lbs - (5ft 7in) so in a similar place. Your figures look correct based on your calculations but are you sure you should have set your activity level as sedentary based on your cycling and walking? This is all new to me too as I seem to be losing inches but the scales are refusing to budge at the moment. I think I have been underestimating my calorie needs. Feel free to add me as a friend so we cam compare progress. :smile:
  • ChrissyLu723
    Options

Hi, I am going to be 47 in September and I am currently weighing 177lbs - (5ft 7in) so in a similar place. Your figures look correct based on your calculations but are you sure you should have set your activity level as sedentary based on your cycling and walking? This is all new to me too as I seem to be losing inches but the scales are refusing to budge at the moment. I think I have been underestimating my calorie needs. Feel free to add me as a friend so we cam compare progress. :smile:

I will send you a f/r. I keep myself at sedentary because I don't cycle everyday, I do walk everyday sometimes it's only an hour a day though, so I don't think I am active enough to move up?
  • erikapereira
    erikapereira Posts: 196
    Options
    After how many pounds lost we should change the goal?
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    After how many pounds lost we should change the goal?

Recalc after 5lbs.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I am so confused and would love someone to simplify this for me please ..
    I went on to Fitness Frog and worked out Calorie calc; 2221 and TDEE: 2543.
    I work out heavy weights 1 hour 3 x days a week & interval sprint cardio 1 hour 2 x days a week and am looking to lose 3kg and then create & maintain a lean/toned physique. I always thought I should stay under 1200 cals a day no matter if I exercised. What should I be aiming for daily?
  • lyricalLies13
    lyricalLies13 Posts: 151
    Options
    Hello everyone I'm still a bit confused and this TDEE BMR stuff...
    my bmr is 2026 and my TDEE set at little excercise is 2426 but when i set it at moderate (3-5hrs a week) its goes all the way to 3133. so that gives me an extra 700 ish calories a day it says im burning, but if i workout 4 times a week for about 1.5 hours i know i burn around 600 calories (HRM) so I feel like the TDEE is giving me credit for way more calories than I actually burn and I wont be having much of a deficit.

Can anyone help explain this to me? Thanks in advance =]
  • ChrissyLu723
    Options
    wish I had an answer to help you both, but I am still confused as to how many I should be eating also and even if I have my activity level set correctly...mass confusion.
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    my bmr is 2026 and my TDEE set at little excercise is 2426 but when i set it at moderate (3-5hrs a week) its goes all the way to 3133. so that gives me an extra 700 ish calories a day it says im burning, but if i workout 4 times a week for about 1.5 hours i know i burn around 600 calories (HRM) so I feel like the TDEE is giving me credit for way more calories than I actually burn and I wont be having much of a deficit.

Please give me your weight, height, and activity level. :)
  • ChrissyLu723
    Options
    This is my height 5'4 weight is 175.8 I am between sedentary and lightly active, I do walk about an hour a day delivering news papers, my husband and I try to walk another hour a day weather permitting.
  • lyricalLies13
    lyricalLies13 Posts: 151
    Options

Please give me your weight, height, and activity level. :)

i weigh 272 im 5'5 and i have a desk type job but i workout 4 times a week for about 90 minutes.
  • Depictureboy
    Depictureboy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am using MFP and FitBit to track my activity level. I am logging non-normal activity levels in MFP (walks, Bike rides, etc). I have been mostly sedentary(except on the weekends) Right now I am lucky if I get my 10,000 steps;though I am trying to find little ways to increase my activity over the day.)

stats:

41 yo
    69 inches tall
    229 lbs as of last weigh in
    31.1 % BF according to Military Method.

I want to still track my exercise and steps using MFP so I am using the Sedentary settings. I have no issue with eating back calories if needed(for now). If I go to Scooby's site and input my numbers i get:

BMR=1919
    TDEE=2303
    Cut 15%=1957

That calcs out to .7 lbs per week; I would really like to lose more than that a week.

I am trying to walk or ride my bike 3-5 times a week for at least 30 minutes.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have been working on this since early April. MFP set me to 1430 and I have been eating back calories, not all of them in some cases but at least over 1430 and still green. There have been days that I go into the red less than 100cals...I have lost about 12lbs so far, but I have plateaued for the last 3 weeks.
  • ashfuse
    Options
    This is my height 5'4 weight is 175.8 I am between sedentary and lightly active, I do walk about an hour a day delivering news papers, my husband and I try to walk another hour a day weather permitting.

Okay Your TDEE is 2346
    you're BMR is 1955
    Your CUT is 1994

How many people do this is they slowly raise their calories to eat their 15% cut, which for you is the 1994. Some people raise all the way up to maintenance (TDEE) which for you is 2346 and eat that for 4-6 weeks and THEN eat their CUT. It's up to which you want to do. Just make sure to at least NET your BMR at the end of the day. Yours is 1955.
    Count cals, eat healthy, and at least net BMR.
  • ChrissyLu723
    Options

Okay Your TDEE is 2346
    you're BMR is 1955
    Your CUT is 1994

How many people do this is they slowly raise their calories to eat their 15% cut, which for you is the 1994. Some people raise all the way up to maintenance (TDEE) which for you is 2346 and eat that for 4-6 weeks and THEN eat their CUT. It's up to which you want to do. Just make sure to at least NET your BMR at the end of the day. Yours is 1955.

Oh wow I seriously had my count off...did you figure that on sedentary or lightly active? Gosh that seems like a lot of calories compared to what MFP has me at, they have me eating 1280 a day? Thank you for taking the time to give me that information, I do appreciate it very much.
  • ashfuse
    Options

Okay Your TDEE is 2346
    you're BMR is 1955
    Your CUT is 1994

Oh wow I seriously had my count off...did you figure that on sedentary or lightly active? Gosh that seems like a lot of calories compared to what MFP has me at, they have me eating 1280 a day? Thank you for taking the time to give me that information, I do appreciate it very much.

I used sedentary. :) Yes, it's a lot, but after a few days you'll get used to the added bulk of food. I literally eat all day long. Just graze on nuts, avacados, chicken breast, green veggies, sweet potato, I throw protein powder in my greek yogurt, oatmeal, and cereal (I eat Kashi cereal only). Good luck :):) Just keep your diet clean and healthy.
  • agbaeb
    agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Ok, so there's quite the difference in my calorie burn on days I work out/run and days I don't. Of course, it depends on the day.

My question: On days I do work out, my cal intake needs to be 1978 (or so) according to the information in this group. (and why am I suddenly confused... I don't have to NET that amount, right?...just eat that amount?). My 2nd question..(and original question) is on days I DON'T run, I just have to make sure I net my BMR, correct (cause I normally walk 3 miles over the course of the day)?

Am I on the right track?
  • jeawashko
    jeawashko Posts: 40
    Options
    okay, so i think i'm taking the plunge and adding more calories. a little background info: i've lost 70lbs SLOWLY over the past few years. i'm no longer overweight, just jiggly!! i'm looking to tone up, especially in my stomach which is where i've kept the remaining part of my weight no matter what i do. i'm willing to give eating more a try as i've tried everything else and just stayed the same.

my stats are:
    5'7", 143lbs, female
    i work a desk job, and workout usually around 5 times a week, with burns ranging from 250-900, depending on what i do.

i've calculated my numbers to be:
    bmr- 1463
    tdee- 2267
    cut value- 1927

taking what i've learned i think i should be setting my calories at 1927, and eating back any calories burned above 464.

my main concern is that i'm only eating 1200 calories right now... on monday of this week after gaining 2lbs over the past 2 weeks, i decided to up my calories to 1350, but i'm having a hard time even meeting that without going over a ton on carbs it feels-and that is mainly with fruits, yogurts, and veggies, i'm not chowing down on bread constantly. how quickly or slowly should i move into eating this many calories? and how the HECK do you guys eat this much? :noway: any insights or advice is much appreciated! thank you!! :bigsmile:
  • ashfuse
    Options
    Ok, so there's quite the difference in my calorie burn on days I work out/run and days I don't. Of course, it depends on the day.

My question: On days I do work out, my cal intake needs to be 1978 (or so) according to the information in this group. (and why am I suddenly confused... I don't have to NET that amount, right?...just eat that amount?). My 2nd question..(and original question) is on days I DON'T run, I just have to make sure I net my BMR, correct (cause I normally walk 3 miles over the course of the day)?

Am I on the right track?

You should aim to eat your TDEE - 15-20% cut EVERYDAY. But if for some reason you can't, you need to at least NET your BMR. It's important to keep your intake very consistant and by doing the math with your activity level, your caloric burn is already factored in with the cut, so eat that CUT amount as often as you can.