Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    @Raynn, I would be so gratful if I wasn't gaining weight during this. You most likely have hit the TDEE on the head for the activity you are doing and will probably see excellent results with your cut! Have you taken any pictures yet? I haven't right now because I know they wouldn't be pretty, lol.

@Tenpets, how is the increase in cals and change of macros working for you this week?

@TripleJ, YaY for the bicep bump while washing your face! I love it when a change catches me off guard like that because ususally I am looking in the mirrror constantly for changes, lol.

@Sweatpants, What is is with the battle of week four? We all seem to struggle around that point. I like what Lucia told you, why cut yourself short and then second guess it down the road? We tend to give low cals forever, but feeding ourselves we want to cut short. I am the same way, but sticking it out the whole 8 weeks.

@Macnurseapril, I have been trying to stay off the scale too and just weigh once a week or so. It is so addicting. sounds like you are just playing around with a couple pounds, that is not bad at all.

@Daphnemomof9, what have you decided about your situation? ARe you going to let the physical labor be your cut? I am interested to see how you do, keep us posted when you have time!

@ssgtwifey, how is the cut going? I think you just keep your macros the same. General recommendation is 40c 30p 30f.

@jyska, I am expecting TOM in about 5 days, so I feel your pain. I am retaining water more than usual, but I think some of that is the heat right now. Hopefully we will both feel better after this week!

@embersfallen, Looks like you may be out of town right now, but hope all is well. Can't wait for updates when you get back, especially if you do decide to cut then.

@iluvhorses198, where are you in the reset? You mentioned eating more for 3 months, have you been resetting that long?

@asidebottom, I think the only way to know whether you are at the right numbers or not is to weigh yourself. I am not sure how accurate the fitbit is for setting TDEE, but if you are 200 cals under or so, you could be losing up to 1/2 pound per week and in reality be at a cut instead of resetting. What are your goals?

@MrsCheeseFries, lol on the feeling bad for not hitting your calories. Hope you are feeling better, I just went through an awful cold/upper resp. illness and it was not fun at all.

@PLUMSGRL, I wouldn't worry about those small fluctuations on the scale, I think that is completely normal. Have you started any of the new programs?

@carriea67, I think the bloat and flabby feelings finally felt a little more normal into my 4th week. I hope you do stick with it for the full 8 weeks. How is the protein macro goal going this week?

@terrigrace, thanks for the book synopsis. My main goal right now is to focus on muscle strength and building. That is the key to it all. The fat loss will follow that. Not sure on bumping your calories up. I might give it another week to see if it continues.
    @lucyhoneychurch, I have those same questions, but I believe in the fueling to lose, it HAS to work, lol!

@seobstar, sounds like you are doing well! Keep us updated.

@findingmyhapp, welcome to reset and good luck! Yes 2 pounds is completely normal and so is being terrified, lol!

AFM, I am just now entering my 6th week of reset. The first 4 weeks flew by and now these last few are going very slow, probably because I am getting itchy to cut. Other than the week I was sick, I have been lifting weights and just doing a little bit of walking here and there. My walking partner has been on vacation, so I have used this as a rest. I am probably eating a little over TDEE because of that, but my focus for this reset is building MUSCLE so it doesn't bother me. I can't belive how much my focus has changed from scale weight to body recomp. Why did it take me so long to understand this is what is important? It's like I said to Terrigrace up there, if I build the muscle, the fat will fall off. I know this because I have tried everything else, cardio'd myself to death for a year and a half and still have more than my fair share of fat (somewhere around 30% I think).
    So I just have to pull out all the patience I have to finish out these last two weeks, keep my focus on building muscle and not worry about the scale or measurements.
    We can do this girls!
    What will we do when we all start to cut? Start a new thread for new cutters, lol?
  • asidebottom
    Options
    Alison - I am using my Fitbit numbers as I seem to be between lightly and moderately active when using Scooby or Fat2Fit. Are you 5 weeks into eating less or reset?

I'm trying the reset, I think, like you that I am between light and moderate activity though I do lot of walking! I am confused :laugh: I'm not too worried as I don't have a lot to lose in terms of inches I would just like to gain some strength and muscle.

I love my fitbit, I'm just not sure it's properly picking up my non walking exercise so I think I'll try my HRM at the gym for a week or two and add that in, see waht the numbers say!
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    AFM, I am just now entering my 6th week of reset. The first 4 weeks flew by and now these last few are going very slow, probably because I am getting itchy to cut. Other than the week I was sick, I have been lifting weights and just doing a little bit of walking here and there. My walking partner has been on vacation, so I have used this as a rest. I am probably eating a little over TDEE because of that, but my focus for this reset is building MUSCLE so it doesn't bother me. I can't belive how much my focus has changed from scale weight to body recomp. Why did it take me so long to understand this is what is important? It's like I said to Terrigrace up there, if I build the muscle, the fat will fall off. I know this because I have tried everything else, cardio'd myself to death for a year and a half and still have more than my fair share of fat (somewhere around 30% I think).
    So I just have to pull out all the patience I have to finish out these last two weeks, keep my focus on building muscle and not worry about the scale or measurements.
    We can do this girls!
    What will we do when we all start to cut? Start a new thread for new cutters, lol?

Thanks for the encouraging words! And what you just said about building muscle... that's where I'm at, too, in my workouts. I'm working on building that muscle with heavy lifting so that when it's cut time, the muscle will burn the fat!

I think that's an excellent idea, to start a new thread for cutters. This thread for the reset has really shown what kind of feelings one can go through during a reset, from excitement to dread, panic to teetering on the edge. But the support here has been fantastic. I think strategies and support for those going through a cut would also be invaluable, as its own stickied thread, once more ladies here are ready to start their official cuts. So I agree with your suggestion!

And after more thought, I will do two more weeks, at least to 6 weeks, until I cut. That will cover the July 4th holiday weekend; then I can focus on a cut with 100% dedication.
  • asidebottom
    Options
    @asidebottom, I think the only way to know whether you are at the right numbers or not is to weigh yourself. I am not sure how accurate the fitbit is for setting TDEE, but if you are 200 cals under or so, you could be losing up to 1/2 pound per week and in reality be at a cut instead of resetting. What are your goals?

We can do this girls!

Hiya

I just want to tone up a bit and I think I need to lose 7lb or so but I'm not hung up on numbers anymore which is why I want to avoid the scale! I am going to measure in a couple of weeks so if I have lost inches then I will reassess I think and I'll also try using my HRM again at the gym see what that says.

Your itching to cut and I'm dreading it!! I like eating this much :laugh: I'm going to go with the flow for a bit and give my mind and body a rest for a good few weeks yet.

I agree a "Cut" sticky would be good though.

Alison
  • jomatho
    Options

We can do this girls!

Hiya

I just want to tone up a bit and I think I need to lose 7lb or so but I'm not hung up on numbers anymore which is why I want to avoid the scale! I am going to measure in a couple of weeks so if I have lost inches then I will reassess I think and I'll also try using my HRM again at the gym see what that says.

Your itching to cut and I'm dreading it!! I like eating this much :laugh: I'm going to go with the flow for a bit and give my mind and body a rest for a good few weeks yet.

I agree a "Cut" sticky would be good though.

Alison

Okay, let me rephrase that, I am itching to start losing fat, not to eat less, lol, that is going to be painful and that will most likely give me something new to complain about!
  • jomatho
    Options
    We can do this girls!

Thanks for the encouraging words! And what you just said about building muscle... that's where I'm at, too, in my workouts. I'm working on building that muscle with heavy lifting so that when it's cut time, the muscle will burn the fat!

I think that's an excellent idea, to start a new thread for cutters. This thread for the reset has really shown what kind of feelings one can go through during a reset, from excitement to dread, panic to teetering on the edge. But the support here has been fantastic. I think strategies and support for those going through a cut would also be invaluable, as its own stickied thread, once more ladies here are ready to start their official cuts. So I agree with your suggestion!

And after more thought, I will do two more weeks, at least to 6 weeks, until I cut. That will cover the July 4th holiday weekend; then I can focus on a cut with 100% dedication.

That's when I start cutting too, awesome!
  • asidebottom
    Options
    Okay, let me rephrase that, I am itching to start losing fat, not to eat less, lol, that is going to be painful and that will most likely give me something new to complain about!

:laugh: Me too and hubbie who has taken a liking to the happier well fed Alison! I may well do a really small cut, just 200 cals or something and see how that goes.
  • iluvhorses1983
    iluvhorses1983 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    @iluvhorses198, where are you in the reset? You mentioned eating more for 3 months, have you been resetting that long?

Today is 3 weeks and one day into my reset. I plan on going for the full 8 weeks since I treated my body so badly for so long. I started the reset at 132 pounds and as of this morning I am 133.4, but am fluctuating between 131 and 133. This is awesome since I am eating 400 calories more than I started the reset (was at TDEE-15%). woot!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Well It appears that I am definitely at TDEE. This past week was a "rest" week for me. I was off inbetween Stage 1 and Stage 2 of NROL, so it was encouraged to rest. I have never taken more than 2 days off in a row from doing activity (outside of a beach vacation where I sit and drink all week long:)) so this was a bit new to me. I managed to make it 4 full days of rest before I had to get back to the gym. I also relaxed a slight bit on the calories and was probably a bit over TDEE on a few days by a 100 or so.. And this morning there was a 1 pound-ish gain on the scale. SO I am happy to say I am confident I am at TDEE and will give it at least one more week before deciding whether to go back down for a cut.

I took a peek at the tape measure on my waist and hips and it definitely pains me to see how much they have increased.I think that bothers me more than the scale does.

as for the .2 pound loss someone had... I would consider that at maintenance:) Sounds like you found your TDEE level too:) I would also be interested in a thread for when we cut:)

I am beginning week 4 today and that was my goal when I began. after next week I will decide what to do.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I don't post very often, but i've been a member of this group since March of this year. At which time I began upping my cals from 1000 (or below) to 1800. Which i've been at since June 10th. Since I started out with such low cals, I had a REALLY hard time getting used to eating so much food....and I mean really hard. But that's behind me now and i've been through the bloating a few times, since I decided to up the cals slowly. So glad all that's over. Today i'm feeling really great and am sooooo happy I decided to do it this way. It's hard for sure....but reading everyone's posts has helped more then anyone would know. So I definately wanna thank everyone who has posted with good or bad news. Amazingly it helps to hear both. My original plan was to up my cals. I wasn't sure how much but I new I had to, so I set out blindly doing just that. I weighed 149 when I started. After raising them to 1200, I went down to 144. But since then i've been bouncing between 146 and 147. So being at 1800 cals now for almost 2 weeks, i'm kinda wondering what I should do now. I'm 5.4" and weigh 146. I've lost inches since I started and I look better for sure....and feel MUCH better. I'm passed the tired phase, which was a killer and am now in the abundance of energy phase. Which means it's a constant struggle to NOT exercise. I'm off work right now so I have a LOT of time on my hands. I'm thinking I might just add a couple more hundred cals and go to maintenance. Right now i'm at a 15% cut with mod exercise. I weight lift every 3rd day, pushiing myself every workout. Think i'm going to do 2 weeks of maintenance since i'm so close to it anyways, then start cutting. Anyways, just wanna thank EVERYONE for their input and keep struggling along. We'll all reach our goals if we keep on keepin on :bigsmile: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I am in my 24th day of reset! Things are still good. Last week I ate over TDEE quite a bit for almost the whole week and the last few days have noticed a thicker waist and hips :grumble: SO I was having some hard days with that.

I am hoping that if I stay strict to TDEE that I might lose what I gained since it wasn't really part of the reset, I did it to myself! That gain is harder than the reset bloat/gain. I could look past the softer look of the reset gain but this gain I am disappointed since I wouldn't have gained it had I not kept eating over so much almost the full week!

I still don't weigh in and my clothes still fit although they are now a little tighter since last week but all in all for the amount I am eating now compared to the amount I was eating in the past I can't complain! Its because of this that its too hard not to believe in the EM2WL concept. :love:

This reset is more than just something to reset my metabolism, it is resetting my mind and point of view. Since I am not looking for a loss, I look for all the other positive things that are happening which has really changed my way of thinking. I mean, you even appreciate the small stuff that you normally would ignore because you take what you can get! It all adds up :happy:
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    A lot of us seemed to start the reset about the same time, so a thread for "cutters" would be good too!
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    @Raynn, I would be so gratful if I wasn't gaining weight during this. You most likely have hit the TDEE on the head for the activity you are doing and will probably see excellent results with your cut! Have you taken any pictures yet? I haven't right now because I know they wouldn't be pretty, lol.

@Tenpets, how is the increase in cals and change of macros working for you this week?

@TripleJ, YaY for the bicep bump while washing your face! I love it when a change catches me off guard like that because ususally I am looking in the mirrror constantly for changes, lol.

@Sweatpants, What is is with the battle of week four? We all seem to struggle around that point. I like what Lucia told you, why cut yourself short and then second guess it down the road? We tend to give low cals forever, but feeding ourselves we want to cut short. I am the same way, but sticking it out the whole 8 weeks.

@Macnurseapril, I have been trying to stay off the scale too and just weigh once a week or so. It is so addicting. sounds like you are just playing around with a couple pounds, that is not bad at all.

@Daphnemomof9, what have you decided about your situation? ARe you going to let the physical labor be your cut? I am interested to see how you do, keep us posted when you have time!

@ssgtwifey, how is the cut going? I think you just keep your macros the same. General recommendation is 40c 30p 30f.

@jyska, I am expecting TOM in about 5 days, so I feel your pain. I am retaining water more than usual, but I think some of that is the heat right now. Hopefully we will both feel better after this week!

@embersfallen, Looks like you may be out of town right now, but hope all is well. Can't wait for updates when you get back, especially if you do decide to cut then.

@MrsCheeseFries, lol on the feeling bad for not hitting your calories. Hope you are feeling better, I just went through an awful cold/upper resp. illness and it was not fun at all.

@PLUMSGRL, I wouldn't worry about those small fluctuations on the scale, I think that is completely normal. Have you started any of the new programs?

@carriea67, I think the bloat and flabby feelings finally felt a little more normal into my 4th week. I hope you do stick with it for the full 8 weeks. How is the protein macro goal going this week?

@terrigrace, thanks for the book synopsis. My main goal right now is to focus on muscle strength and building. That is the key to it all. The fat loss will follow that. Not sure on bumping your calories up. I might give it another week to see if it continues.
    @lucyhoneychurch, I have those same questions, but I believe in the fueling to lose, it HAS to work, lol!

@seobstar, sounds like you are doing well! Keep us updated.

@findingmyhapp, welcome to reset and good luck! Yes 2 pounds is completely normal and so is being terrified, lol!

We can do this girls!

WOW! How do you keep track of everyone's status to check up on each of us?! That is IMPRESSIVE!! :flowerforyou:

Yes, per Lucia's advice I bumped up from 2150 (my estimate BMF) to 2280 (calculator #) and macros to 40c/30/p/30f. It's been 6 days and I'm feeling GOOD!!! I have had lots more energy with my workouts and it was amazingly better for my endurance on our 23 mile bike ride on Sunday! My clothes are fitting the same as last week (that's good...my 12s still fit fine). I think I might skip the scale on Friday. It just makes me unravel. Three weeks done and now moving into week 4! We can do this!!

I think your idea is perfect...the thread for resetters who just started the cut. I think we'll still need the support because for some it will fall off and others it may not at first.

Thanks for thinking of me and asking how I am doing! You're wonderful!!:smile:
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to introduce myself. I'm about a week into my reset. Aiming to average at 2200 per day or more (I'm 5'1 and 105-109lbs, not wanting to lose or gain). Terrified! So far I am up 2lbs but I am sure that's just a normal fluctuation.

Welcome! :flowerforyou:
  • bethad5
    bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I've been 'eating more' since early May, but officially started the reset last Sunday (eating at TDEE, 2655, and working out 5-6 hours a week). Since starting to eat more, though, my workouts have changed - for the worse. My legs feel heavier and more tired. Sometimes I feel like I can't finish my workout. Last week was slightly awful trying to adjust to being 'allowed' to eat so much and many days I went over, but now I'm more used to eating right around the 2650. Still working on macros. Always go over on carbs, always way below on fat, and only make protein if I make a valiant effort (aka 1-2 protein shakes a day. I've found myself stirring the powder into my oatmeal every morning which helps, but sometimes still go under). Except then there was a whole discussion about too much protein - at 30%, I'm supposed to have 199 grams a day, but then someone said you should only have 1g/lb of body weight, and I weigh 154 with a goal of 145 (and started 'eating more' in May at 148; started the reset at 154; am currently on my period and am not going anywhere near the scale until at LEAST July 1) so now I'm concerned I'm eating too much protein. I don't know. I'm so back and forth about this - I want to have faith in the process, but each time I look at myself and see bloat and a flabbier stomach I immediately think back to 'well, maybe I should just start eating 2000 again... or less...'

Ahhh. So frustrating. I guess when I was eating MFP's 1640 + exercise calories back my workouts meant more because the longer I went the more I could eat. And it isn't as motivating to know that it doesn't matter the calories I burn, I'm still going to eat 2655, even on a rest day (like today). I also want to switch up my workouts, but am worried that I'll no longer fit in the 5-6 hours of strenuous activity level (because 95% of the time I feel like I don't deserve to be at that level already) but I want to keep consistency and keep these 2650 calories throughout the reset. Like I want to start strength training, and have the NROLFW book, but also need to start training for a 7 mile run I'm doing at the end of July. And the NROFLW book says that doing long endurance cardio while doing NROFLW is counterproductive. And, if I start doing NROFLW, the workouts dont' last an hour, right? So my 5-6 hours of exercise would have to be the 3 half-hour NROFLW workouts + 3.5 hours of other stuff (but not endurance cardio, which is all I know how to do?)

So confused. So frustrated. I'm on day 9 and kind of already want to throw in the towel. Anyone have any advice on how to incorporate NROFLW, still train for this race, and still get a rest day but make the 5-6 hour activity level? or am I screwed?
  • jomatho
    Options
    WOW! How do you keep track of everyone's status to check up on each of us?! That is IMPRESSIVE!! :flowerforyou:

Yes, per Lucia's advice I bumped up from 2150 (my estimate BMF) to 2280 (calculator #) and macros to 40c/30/p/30f. It's been 6 days and I'm feeling GOOD!!! I have had lots more energy with my workouts and it was amazingly better for my endurance on our 23 mile bike ride on Sunday! My clothes are fitting the same as last week (that's good...my 12s still fit fine). I think I might skip the scale on Friday. It just makes me unravel. Three weeks done and now moving into week 4! We can do this!!

I think your idea is perfect...the thread for resetters who just started the cut. I think we'll still need the support because for some it will fall off and others it may not at first.

Well, I couldn't keep track of everyone, that was the problem, I was getting everyone mixed up and wanted to respond without doing a zillion quotes, so I just open notes off to the side and make my comments as I read a page or two. That is what I did when I hung out on 3fatchicks website and seemed to be the easiest way to respond without having to remember what everyone said, lol.
    That's awesome that the little bump and rearranging of your macros is working so far for you. And you get to eat more, woot, woot!
  • smurfee11
    smurfee11 Posts: 33
    Options
    bump to read later
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options

Well, I couldn't keep track of everyone, that was the problem, I was getting everyone mixed up and wanted to respond without doing a zillion quotes, so I just open notes off to the side and make my comments as I read a page or two. That is what I did when I hung out on 3fatchicks website and seemed to be the easiest way to respond without having to remember what everyone said, lol.
    That's awesome that the little bump and rearranging of your macros is working so far for you. And you get to eat more, woot, woot!

Ooh - I might have to try that. I feel that way when I read. I want to respond to so much and then by the time I get done reading and open the reply window I can only remember a few things that I wanted to say!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    I'm hanging in here. Not a ton to report. Struggling with calories today because it's so stinking hot. But hopefully I'll get to TDEE before bed. I did order NROLFW and despite my earlier decision to put off strength training until after my half marathon this September, I'm really reconsidering. I'm going to read the book and go from there. If I do start prior to my half, I will definitely be taking it slow - probably only a few days a week and maybe spending extra time in stage 1.
  • skbarton
    skbarton Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Alison - I am using my Fitbit numbers as I seem to be between lightly and moderately active when using Scooby or Fat2Fit. Are you 5 weeks into eating less or reset?

I'm trying the reset, I think, like you that I am between light and moderate activity though I do lot of walking! I am confused :laugh: I'm not too worried as I don't have a lot to lose in terms of inches I would just like to gain some strength and muscle.

I love my fitbit, I'm just not sure it's properly picking up my non walking exercise so I think I'll try my HRM at the gym for a week or two and add that in, see waht the numbers say!

I have taken several weeks of fitbit readings and averaged them to come up with an approximation of my TDEE for reset purposes. Fitbit does best with walking type actions and not as well with strength training. It is not supposed to work on cycling due to the movements you make. I was somewhat surprised it did as well as it did with a Leslie Sansone video as there is quite a bit of walking in place. I use my HRM for all exercise as I think it is more accurate than either fitbit or MFP on burn level.