Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• carriea67
    carriea67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

@carriea67, I think the bloat and flabby feelings finally felt a little more normal into my 4th week. I hope you do stick with it for the full 8 weeks. How is the protein macro goal going this week?

AFM, I am just now entering my 6th week of reset. The first 4 weeks flew by and now these last few are going very slow, probably because I am getting itchy to cut. Other than the week I was sick, I have been lifting weights and just doing a little bit of walking here and there. My walking partner has been on vacation, so I have used this as a rest. I am probably eating a little over TDEE because of that, but my focus for this reset is building MUSCLE so it doesn't bother me. I can't belive how much my focus has changed from scale weight to body recomp. Why did it take me so long to understand this is what is important? It's like I said to Terrigrace up there, if I build the muscle, the fat will fall off. I know this because I have tried everything else, cardio'd myself to death for a year and a half and still have more than my fair share of fat (somewhere around 30% I think).
    So I just have to pull out all the patience I have to finish out these last two weeks, keep my focus on building muscle and not worry about the scale or measurements.
    We can do this girls!
    What will we do when we all start to cut? Start a new thread for new cutters, lol?

Hi - first thanks for the words of encouragement. Second, the protein goal is going well - I am up over 100 grams (and closer to my 132 goal than I have been since starting this process). As for sticking with 8 weeks, I may just do that because today I can't imagine eating less than 2079...LOL how did I survive on 1200 again?

Good for you for sticking this through for 6 weeks and you are so close to switching to your cut. Are you starting to notice a difference in your muscles?

And yes, I vote for a new thread for cutters....it's been really rewarding and motivating going through this process as a group. I just love this group.
  • carriea67
    Options
    WOW! How do you keep track of everyone's status to check up on each of us?! That is IMPRESSIVE!! :flowerforyou:

Yes, per Lucia's advice I bumped up from 2150 (my estimate BMF) to 2280 (calculator #) and macros to 40c/30/p/30f. It's been 6 days and I'm feeling GOOD!!! I have had lots more energy with my workouts and it was amazingly better for my endurance on our 23 mile bike ride on Sunday! My clothes are fitting the same as last week (that's good...my 12s still fit fine). I think I might skip the scale on Friday. It just makes me unravel. Three weeks done and now moving into week 4! We can do this!!

I think your idea is perfect...the thread for resetters who just started the cut. I think we'll still need the support because for some it will fall off and others it may not at first.

Thanks for thinking of me and asking how I am doing! You're wonderful!!:smile:

Well, I couldn't keep track of everyone, that was the problem, I was getting everyone mixed up and wanted to respond without doing a zillion quotes, so I just open notes off to the side and make my comments as I read a page or two. That is what I did when I hung out on 3fatchicks website and seemed to be the easiest way to respond without having to remember what everyone said, lol.
    That's awesome that the little bump and rearranging of your macros is working so far for you. And you get to eat more, woot, woot!

What a great idea! Cheers to you :drinker: . I am going to start to do the same thing. I want to respond to everyone but keep losing the posts...
  • carriea67
    Options
    Hi -

Quick question...so I started my reset on June 1st and also said that I wouldn't step on the scale until next Friday (was a daily weigher and the scale would determine my mood for the day) so I have no idea if I have hit maintenance or not. I was planning on only doing a reset for 4 weeks.

I think (based on my clothes) that I am probably up a pound or two but am not stressing too terribly over that - I consider it making my body happy.

So all of that being said, once I weigh myself next Friday (June 29th) I will continue to eat at my TDEE for the next (heck why cut over a holiday weekend :happy: ) and then weigh myself on July 6th to determine if I have got my numbers correctly. At that point, I may just keep going for another 4 weeks to do the full reset.

Based on your posts - I believe most of you have signed up for 8 weeks and start to see changes about week 6 - am I right on that?

Thanks!
    Carrie
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Carrie - I started my reset on 5/29 and was giving it 4 weeks at first. Now I'll give it to 6 weeks (yep, coasting through July 4th until the end of that week) and then start my cut.
  • kels136
    kels136 Posts: 55
    Options
    Hi Guys,

I am on day 2 of my reset! So very scared but looking forward to repeaing the rewards and looking extremely LEAN for Christmas 2012 :-)

I can't weigh myself throughout this process because I know I will cry. I used to have ED so my whole life I have battled with overeating and undereating. NOW is the time to CHANGE! So glad I found this group.

I am doing reset at TDEE Sedentary Active for 2 weeks then TDEE moderate active for 6 weeks. I am currently doing 30 minutes 7 days a week Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and 30 minutes walking 5 days a week. After my 8 week reset I will be doing TDEE Moderate Activite -10% for 2 weeks, then TDEE Moderate Active - 15% for 2 weeks then TDEE Moderate Active -20% until I reach my goal. I'm excited because I know the results will be worth it but also scared as my face bloats easily...I'm having no photos taken, not buying new clothes or going on the scale until 1 December 2012. Hopefully if this works (which I'm really optimistic it will!) I will be at my goal of 126-130 lbs by then.

Lets do this!!
  • carriea67
    Options
    Carrie - I started my reset on 5/29 and was giving it 4 weeks at first. Now I'll give it to 6 weeks (yep, coasting through July 4th until the end of that week) and then start my cut.

I am going to play it by ear to see if I will stick it out the entire 8 weeks. It's been kinda fun this summer not really stressing over it....and I am not (mostly) over the fact that I only fit in 25% of my summer clothes....oh and I haven't been in a swimsuit yet so that also helps....
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

I am going to play it by ear to see if I will stick it out the entire 8 weeks. It's been kinda fun this summer not really stressing over it....and I am not (mostly) over the fact that I only fit in 25% of my summer clothes....oh and I haven't been in a swimsuit yet so that also helps....

Thats sort of the attitude I have towards doing the reset during summer. I don't have to really stress about summer clothes. I can still fit into most and I have bought a few dresses, but since I know there will be no weight loss, I am just more relaxed and accepting!

I have been in a swim suit, though. I have young kids and they love to go to the pool. My youngest and I are in a parent-tot swim class while my older two take their lessons so I have zero choice! But I got over it after I had kids. Theres no way I could ever deny them a day at the pool because I don't love the way I look in a suit. A few months back before EM2WL I bought a new bikini and I even have worn that! Except during TOM, I did wear a tankini to feel more comfortable. I have a long torso so one pieces are out and even tankinis still show my belly but whatever. Once you are in it and at the pool, you sort of forget about it. Sort of....
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Morning Everyone!!!

So I have a question....any one struggling to get 25-30grams of fiber with reduced carbs (40%)? I used to hit 30grams easily and now I rarely do. Just curious how you do it without going over carbs and if its effecting bodily functions if your not.
    Thanks!!
    Kate
  • bethad5
    bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Morning Everyone!!!

So I have a question....any one struggling to get 25-30grams of fiber with reduced carbs (40%)? I used to hit 30grams easily and now I rarely do. Just curious how you do it without going over carbs and if its effecting bodily functions if your not.
    Thanks!!
    Kate

I stir chia seeds into my oatmeal in the morning and that helps to add some fiber. I find I'm usually over on both carbs and fiber - I still haven't figured out my macros. Always over on carbs and fiber, way under on fat, and under on protein unless I have a protein shake or two a day
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Morning Everyone!!!

Thanks!!
    Kate

Hi, Kate. I found Mission Carb Balance tortillas are perfect for this!! Two of the medium flour tortillas or one of the larger whole wheat burrito size tortilla give you: 210-240 calories, 5-6g fat, 26-38 carbs, 9-10g protein, and 26 g of FIBER! Great for the gut, too! I eat them almost every day and end up with around 40+ g of fiber each day! They're great with peanut butter/hummus/lunchmeat/etc rolled up in them. YUM!
  • carriea67
    Options

Thats sort of the attitude I have towards doing the reset during summer. I don't have to really stress about summer clothes. I can still fit into most and I have bought a few dresses, but since I know there will be no weight loss, I am just more relaxed and accepting!

I have been in a swim suit, though. I have young kids and they love to go to the pool. My youngest and I are in a parent-tot swim class while my older two take their lessons so I have zero choice! But I got over it after I had kids. Theres no way I could ever deny them a day at the pool because I don't love the way I look in a suit. A few months back before EM2WL I bought a new bikini and I even have worn that! Except during TOM, I did wear a tankini to feel more comfortable. I have a long torso so one pieces are out and even tankinis still show my belly but whatever. Once you are in it and at the pool, you sort of forget about it. Sort of....

Yep, I have about 4 pairs of shorts, some dresses and during the week I am in "business casual" work clothes that still fit - so I am okay with it.

No kiddos for me but I completely understand where you are coming from. We will be in the pool over the 4th and I am mentally preparing myself. I am sure that I am way more aware of it then any other person but still.....
  • tenpets
    Options
    Checking in...

Digging in to week four of the reset and doing much better mentally than I did the first 2.5 weeks. Week 3 was great! Lots more energy through the days and my workouts, sleeping great, etc. I'm still fitting my 12s which is where I've been for the past 3 years since losing 30 lb and keeping it off. I don't think I'm going to weigh myself anymore until July 25 when I start my 10% cut. There is definitely some increase in inches here and there on my body, but nothing horrible. So, I'm okay with it. Plus, it doesn't seem to be increasing from the initial increase the first week or two. At the start of week three, I was up only 0.8lb from when I joined MFP in April. That's how I'm looking at it!

So, doing well and really enjoying feeding my body what it needs for once in my life! Today I'm realizing that feeding my body what it burns each day and exercising faithfully and getting stronger is a very empowering feeling. I walk around thinking, "yes, I'm a bit bigger in size, but boy am I taking great care of ME!" It makes me grin form ear to ear.:happy:

I really like where my body AND my head are at this point in the transformation! SO very glad I found MFP and EMTLW! Love, love, love you guys!!:flowerforyou:
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I posted yesterday that i'd been upping my cals since March and wasn't sure what I was gonna do now? I'm presently at 1800 and have been since June 9th and 1767 since May 31. I'm gonna go up to 2000. With maintenance being 2092. I started yesterday. Kinda really scared but my weight hasn't really flucuated a lot during the whole upping process, so i'm hoping for the best. Just gonna keep pluggin along....
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Im really having a hard day today.. Im into my 4th week at reset, and I had a gym workout today, NROL stage 2. I was staring at myself in the mirror and all I could think of was what if this doesnt work for me? What the hell am I going to do when I cut to my 15% and nothing happens. What will I do when the inches still wont go down, in spite of doing weights three days a week for the past 7 weeks.. I just have a complete and utter breakdown in the gym. .. I have essentially been the same weight for the past 3 months, I have increased my cals up 1400 from where I used to be. Dont get me wrong, Im thrilled that I can eat as much as I am and still not gaining any real weight, but the mental game hit me really hard today. I know I need the reset because of how long I have been sitting at a VLC diet.. I know this is the right way to do it. I know a year from now, none of this will matter and I will be leaner and smaller than I ever have in my life..

But today, I just broke. and I broke hard. The thought of doing another 4 weeks and not losing any weight is tearing me up inside today. My original plan was to hit TDEE for a week or two.. and that turned into 4 weeks.. and now I second guess every day whether I should attempt the cut, take a chance that my body has forgiven me and this will be enough to get things going, or whether I should suck it up, give myself the full 8 weeks at reset, and then go for it... Im torn and I think thats also contributing to my breakdown today.

Im feeling incredibly down on myself today. Ive done so much in terms of weight lifting in the last 7 weeks, things I never thought I could do, and because Im at reset, my body is not showing any of the changes. SO many of you are at TDEE but are losing inches... I am gaining them and it is making me crazy..

I honestly wish I could go back in time to when my YDD was born and shake some sense into my head then. I wouldnt be in this place now.. And I hate that I thought I was doing everything right by eating healthy, eating low cal, exercising like mad... and here I am..

Anyways, no real reason for this but to vent and let it all out.
    Sigh.
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    (((((((Raynn1))))))) I think it was Lucia who put it this way: you are building strong muscles so that when it comes time for your cut, those muscles will burn the fat, and then they will be revealed. *cue heavenly music and doves flying in the sky* Well, that's the hope *I* am carrying with me! I, too, am fearful that when I start my cut, nothing could happen. I could look the same. But something COULD happen. KWIM?

I am at TDEE and I am not losing any inches. My tummy looks bloated, and I look like I have gained. I was going to take measurements last week, but I said why bother? I might measure on Monday, but I think I will be disgusted with the numbers. That's not going to deter me from my goal. I told myself I'd give it 6 weeks, and I will. I WILL. Stay strong through the mental game. You can do it! It will be worth it in the end! And you are not alone in your feelings. :flowerforyou:
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    @Raynn1......What scares me into not doing a cut earlier than 8 weeks is the thought of me in a month struggling and thinking< what if I had done the full 8 weeks as strongly encouraged? Then will I want to start over and do another reset for the correct 8 weeks? I hear ya, its so hard some days. I am not losing either on reset, so you are definitely not alone!

I do work really hard at looking past my softer look and shoving negative thoughts from my mind the second I think them. I did have a few really hard days last week and the only reason I wasn't on here whining was because I didn't have internet for a couple days!

If I do the cut and have no loss well....I'll maybe cry :sad: But remind myself how back when I was so restrictive I rarely lost, would gain back anything I did lose and constantly be angry at my body. I do feel I have gained quite a bit of more positiveness about myself and I think the cut will work.

Hang in there, do the full 6 at least. Don't leave room for doubt. We are here to help you through everyday if you need us!
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of doing a reset too. Its daunting to think no weight loss for a month tho ;) even tho i realise the long term benefit of it all. I have been losing weight for close to 6 years. I have lost 85 kilos and lost most of it by eating 1800 cals a day with cal cycling...but i definitely had small nets a lot of that time. Last year for about 5 months i ate 1485 cals and did get to my goal weight....i then tried to lose a lil more by cutting back to 1200 cals which lead to a binge cycle and me gaining 11 kilos :( which I have now lost 2 kilos off. I have tried EM2WL twice before...the first time i did it with a 10% cut and was losing and doing good till i went on holidays. The second time i did it was with a 15% cut but i got very despondent when i gained and gave up (this was only a week or so ago) Soooooooooo im thinking i should do a reset for 4 weeks then cut back to a cut of 10% since thats what seems to have worked in the past...I really hope this will work for me LONG TERM!! :)
  • tenpets
    Options
    Raynn1!!! We are all in this together, girlfriend!!!! We all feel the exact same as you do! I don't think many of us doing the reset have lost inches. I KNOW mine are up. I just refuse to measure them again until July 25th (the end of week 8). I also know my weight is likely up from last week, but I refuse to give in to the mental game like I did last Friday. It was awful! The way I look at it, if this doesn't work I haven't lost anything but a few weeks. BUT... if it DOES work...OMG! For the first time EVER I will be able to lose weight AND eat! I am SOOOOO over starving myself in order to lose weight. I am 49 and I've only lost weight starving and exercising like a fiend for 30+ years. I'm over it!!

I've lived half my life already. It's time for me to LIVE in all aspects of being healthy. Will I ever be a beach babe? NO! Was I ever? NO! So, I'm okay with it. It's about being healthy ... not a string bean. When I was uber thin my life was miserable! It does not bring happiness.

You know everything I'm saying. We all do. Hang in there 8 weeks with us. If we give up early we will never know... ((((HUGS))))

Becky
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Just a quick question...with the reset am I trying to figure out a level where I maintain my weight? Im seeing in some posts on this thread people seem to be aiming for a gain?
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Just a quick question...with the reset am I trying to figure out a level where I maintain my weight? Im seeing in some posts on this thread people seem to be aiming for a gain?

When you first hit your TDEE, you may gain a few pounds for a few weeks, then level off. Eventually what you want it to maintain whatever that weight is. For some of us, we slowly upped the cals, so over time the weight just levelled out. I had a gain this past week because I had a rest week from working out. So if I had a gain, it meant I was at my TDEE (tdee counts in exercise, and if I had none then technically I was eating above it)...

It really just depends on how long you have been on a VLC diet. some people dont have any gains, some have a loss or two.. some have nothing..