Ravenclaw Common Room

Options

Replies

• momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    @azsuzi- thoughts and prayers for you and your dad

So proud of myself right now . . . its the end of the year for us northeast teachers so I don't have students right now and am packing up my room. This usually leads to lots of social eating (going out for lunch, people bringing in sweets, its like a 2 week celebration of sorts). Well yesterday a good friend co-worker brought in french toast casserole (french toast made in a pan- lots of bread, butter, syrup- calories and carbs overload). When she offered I gratefully declined, had my healthy choice meal and went for a walk!!! Yeah for resisting temptation. Then today there is an ELA (reading/writing) department meeting where everyone is ordering from this little italian deli and bringing in desserts to share. When asked what I wanted I said I brought my lunch and I didn't bring a dessert so I won't be having any of that either!!! It may be a battle but I'm at least holding my own
  • datenshi
    datenshi Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    @azsuzi- thoughts and prayers for you and your dad

So proud of myself right now . . . its the end of the year for us northeast teachers so I don't have students right now and am packing up my room. This usually leads to lots of social eating (going out for lunch, people bringing in sweets, its like a 2 week celebration of sorts). Well yesterday a good friend co-worker brought in french toast casserole (french toast made in a pan- lots of bread, butter, syrup- calories and carbs overload). When she offered I gratefully declined, had my healthy choice meal and went for a walk!!! Yeah for resisting temptation. Then today there is an ELA (reading/writing) department meeting where everyone is ordering from this little italian deli and bringing in desserts to share. When asked what I wanted I said I brought my lunch and I didn't bring a dessert so I won't be having any of that either!!! It may be a battle but I'm at least holding my own

I am proud of you too!! Awesome show of dedication and determination.
  • CivicSista
    CivicSista Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Today I did a 2.58 mile run/walk and got in my 25 push ups, those last 5 were killer.
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday Ravenclaw! So, yesterday I totally blew the food challenge - trying again today. I did do the push-ups though, so I'm proud that I even remembered to do them! Work and school are keeping me crazy. Not a lot of time to think about what I'm eating. I find that I do better when I actually "think" about my food instead of just throwing something together and counting the calories later.

Hope you all are having a great day!
  • momofJandA
    Options
    on to Day 4 without diet soda- pretty bad migraine last night, don't know if it was the lack of soda or the 100 degree temperatures- but got throughy it without caving- and THAT my friends is a NSV!

push ups done T/W/TH so far- getting easier- still can't do all 25 regular ones but I'll get there
  • lottee1000
    lottee1000 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Man i hate push-ups. Did 10 regular ones today and fifteen girlie though, getting better!
    I feel like my housemate is trying to sabotage me at the moment. She knows that I want the next three weeks or so to be real pushes on the diet front, as after that I'm on holiday and will definitely slip up. But so far this week she's invited me to an ice-cream party, an all you can eat brunch, a burger meal, a mexican meal and an all you can drink event. I'm not good at restricting myself at these events, so I'd rather just say no. However if I do I get accused of being boring, or not being a good friend. Gah! It's only three weeks so I can get through it, but it's getting me down a bit. Any tips?
  • datenshi
    Options
    Hello you wonderful Ravenclaws you!!

Some good news today...

I achieved my goal I set out for the week which was to hike for 7 days in a row!

I did my interview for the position I applied for in the Coporation I work for and it looks promising!

I lost another lb!

It was a hugely crazy day at work today because I was the only one here in the morning to provide computer support while everyone else was at an offiste meeting. But I didn't let that affect my choices and I feel good that I made it through the day!

I just feel really energized at the moment!

I hope you all have an awesome day! :flowerforyou:

Datenshi
  • kellyisloved
    kellyisloved Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Hey Ravenclaws! I'm sad to report that Lady Bezoar and I are going to take a break from the group for a while. It has been a blast. Cheers!

Awww, sad to see it, but it's been great having you with us! Hope you're able to return. Great job with all you've accomplished so far, and good luck! :)
  • kellyisloved
    kellyisloved Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    On a different note, I am totally failing my no chocolate/candy challenge. Failing in a major kind of way.

At least I am logging it, though. There is that, I guess.
  • datenshi
    Options
    Good morning Ravenclaws!!

Just thought I would share something a CoWorker of mine shared with our work team. It was an interesting read....

The 90/10 Principle by Author Stephen Covey

What is the Principle?

10% of life is made up of what happens to you.
    90% of life is decided by how you react

What does this mean?

We really have NO control over 10% of what happens to us.

You cannot control a red light. However, you can control your reaction.

Do not let people fool you. YOU can control how you react.

Let us use an example…

You are having breakfast with your family. Your daughter knocks over a cup of coffee onto your business shirt.

You have no control over what just happened. So what happens next will be determined by how you react.

You curse. You harshly scold your daughter for knocking the cup over. She breaks down in tears. After scolding her, you turn to your wife and you criticize her for placing the cup too close to the edge of the table. A short verbal battle follows.

You storm upstairs and change your shirt. Back downstairs, you find your daughter has been too busy crying to finish her breakfast and getting ready to go to school. She misses the bus. Your spouse must leave immediately for work. You rush to the car and drive your daughter to school.

Because you are late, you drive 40 miles per hour in a 30 mph speed limit zone. After a 15-minute delay and throwing a $60.00 traffic fine away, you arrive at school. Your daughter runs into the building without saying goodbye. After arriving at the office 20 minutes late, you realize you forgot your briefcase. Your day started terrible. As it continues, it seems to get worse and worse.

You look forward to coming home. When you arrive home, you find a small wedge in your relationship with your wife and daughter.

Why?

Because of how you reacted in the morning.

Why did you have a bad day?

A) Did the coffee cause it?
    B) Did your daughter cause it?
    C) Did the policeman cause it?
    D) Did you cause it?

The answer is “D”

You had no control over what happened with the coffee. How you reacted in those 5 seconds is what caused your bad day.

Here is what should have happened…

Coffee splashes over you. Your daughter is about to cry.

You gently say, “It’s okay honey, you just need to be more careful next time.”

Grabbing a towel you go upstairs and change your shirt. You grab your briefcase, and you come back down in time to look through the window and see your child getting on the bus. She turns and waves. You arrive 5 minutes early and cheerfully greet the staff.

Notice the difference?

Two different scenarios. Both started the same. Both ended different.

Why?

Because of how you reacted.

You really have no control over 10% of what happens in your life. The other 90% was determined by your reaction.

Millions of people are suffering from undeserved stress, trials, problems and headaches. We must all apply the 90/10 Principle. It can change your life!
  • azsuzi
    Options
    @datenshi - Its such a simple concept and SO true! Thank you for sharing.
  • lottee1000
    Options
    Morning guys!

Challenges for this week are:

Food: Get your eight cups of water in, with an extra cup for every 30 mins of exercise you do. One OWL for every day you get all your water in,

Exercise: Choose 1 exercise a day that focuses on your lower body (squats, lunges, leg raises, calf raises, etc) and do 25. Each day you complete 25 reps you earn an OWL.

Spirit: Post!
  • azsuzi
    Options
    Wow! Can really tell its summer time. No one is in the common room today! Hope you all are having a great weekend!
  • lottee1000
    Options
    Yeah it's very quiet in here- means everybody must be outside, hopefully burning some calories though, so it's a good thing!
    Not very nice here today, hot and thundery, got in a swim this morning though so made the most of it. Last night I babysat for my friends 10-month old over night- terrifying! Don't know how all you parents cope with the responsibility x
  • TwiFan5
    TwiFan5 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Is over Winter and sick of having a cold, still weighing in at 100.5 Ibs. :)
  • lottee1000
    Options
    Morning all!

Have just realised that, because of the challenges, I went a whole week without chocolate last week! Whoop! I love how accountable this group makes me.
    Think I will do squats with weights for my lower body exercise this week. I used to do loads when I was boxing, but now do about 30 a week, if I'm lucky. 25 a day should make an impact. Didn't weigh-in today as forgot to weigh this morning, will do so asap. Only had three hours sleep last night so am a bit dazed and confused today...

Have a great new week Ravenclaw!
  • Matchamatcha
    Matchamatcha Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

Sorry I've been awol for a while, I'm making an effort to get back on the mfp horse and actually log every day etc. again.

I've finished my 6 weeks of boot camp now, didn't lose much weight but lost quite a few cms and went up a few levels on the beep test. Overall it was a really good experience, I'm glad I did it. The best reward was today when I would normally have boot camp, I was itching for a run or some sort of exercise (that feeling is new!) and I went to the gym by myself for an hour and worked out hard. I even went on the elliptical for 20 minutes! I had to up the difficulty level and I was panting but okay. Pre-bootcamp I would feel massively uncomfortable going to the gym by myself, and I could barely make 10 minutes on the elliptical - feeling like I was going to vomit for most of that time. :drinker: :bigsmile:

Anyway, good luck Ravenclaws for the rest of the week :flowerforyou:
  • datenshi
    Options
    Hello Ravenclaws!

This weekend I went to a beautiful handfasting wedding. It has been over two months since I have had anything off the diet so I decided ahead of time I was just going to enjoy the day and eat what I wanted. Which I did and then the next day I was right back to my eating plan. I am very happy about it. I am probably up a couple of lbs for a couple of days but I don't care because I will take it off easily enough again and I was glad I could just relax and enjoy the day without worrying about what would fit into my calorie range etc.

I have DD's grade 8 graduation tonight and DS's birthday next Friday but I am sticking to my food plan those days since I chose which day I was going to splurge.

I hope you all had an awesome weekend! :flowerforyou:

Datenshi
  • jadery24
    jadery24 Posts: 53
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm new to this group but so excited to be a part of it! My name is Jade, and I am a 22-year-old college student finishing up a degree in Music Education. I've been on MFP for a few years now, but I usually only use it during summer and winter breaks. During the semesters, I just let my weight plateau so I can focus on studies. I had a bit of a gain this past year because of a bout of mono and an especially heavy load, but I'm ready to work it off!
    Now...where can I find the challenges?
  • momofJandA
    Options
    good morning Ravenclaws!
    Summer vacation has officially started today!!! Unfortunately it started with no run because it was pouring, thuindering, and lightening outside :(
    The inlaws are coming this afternoon for a 10 day visit- send me some will power because there will be lots of not so good food around (for example tonight they are taking us to KFC for dinner- still under my calories for the day but that's with 0 snacks)

Went a whole week without soda- but my goodness am I craving one today- luckily there are none in the house.