Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Alright so it's day 20 and here I am again at 10pm wishing I could go to bed but I have about 600 more calories to eat. I gotta get a better handle on this. Also I weighed myself today and I haven't lost any weight in over 2 weeks :( I feel like hopping off this reset train and right into TDEE - 15% just because I miss losing.
  • skbarton
    skbarton Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Alright so it's day 20 and here I am again at 10pm wishing I could go to bed but I have about 600 more calories to eat. I gotta get a better handle on this. Also I weighed myself today and I haven't lost any weight in over 2 weeks :( I feel like hopping off this reset train and right into TDEE - 15% just because I miss losing.

I see you usually have cereal for breakfast - I found myself in the same boat with needing to eat a lot at dinner and a snack. I used to have just 6 oz of fat free sugar free yogurt for breakfast. I started making a peanut butter and cheese sandwich that I could eat while driving to work. I'm also trying to increase my lunch calories as well.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options

Try to fill in at least part of the next day's meals (I always start with all the proteins), that should make things a little easier.
    Now think of this as a trial on maintenance, after all, at some point you'll reach your goal and won't need to lose anything.
    And be happy, you and I are 2 of the lucky ones (I'm 5 weeks in and have only gained 0.2#), most folks are gaining 5-20 pounds!
    You'll be done before you know it. If you haven't taken measurements, do it now. You may lose inches before you lose pounds
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options

I see you usually have cereal for breakfast - I found myself in the same boat with needing to eat a lot at dinner and a snack. I used to have just 6 oz of fat free sugar free yogurt for breakfast. I started making a peanut butter and cheese sandwich that I could eat while driving to work. I'm also trying to increase my lunch calories as well.

You make a good point about breakfast. I've found that I've been eating normal food for breakfast, as opposed to "breakfast" food. It helps get the protein and calories in. The last several days have been terrible in that respect though, but it's definitely something I try to do. I like to have roughly 2/3rds of my calories in by the time dinner rolls around.
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    jyska - nice job on the EM2WL reset badge! Looks cool!

As much as I think the badge is really cool, I've already made the mental shift to start my reset at 6 weeks vs. my original 4 (which is two weeks from tomorrow). I'm ready now, but I'll ride out the next two weeks through July 4th. It also accommodates my gym access and family stuff going on. I don't feel bad about my decision; I don't have any past EDs or did a VLCD for months and months that wreaked havoc on my metabolism, I've just tried lots of different deficit/exercise/eating combos for the past nine months and did this reset to give EM2WL a good try. My body's ready for a cut, and I look forward to it!

I took measurements this morning, since starting the reset a month ago, and I cringed when I saw every measurement up by an inch. My gain is three pounds since starting, but what bothers me is the inches gained overall and the tummy bloat. It bothered me at first that all my hard work prior to the reset seemed to go out the window. Such a mental game here! I've even looked at my exercise, which has gone from 4-5 days a week to 3 days (2x lifting, 1x HIIT), thinking why should I try so hard when I'm just getting bigger right now? I know that's not the right attitude, reset or not. Starting this week I've resolved to keep lifting heavy 2x/wk to keep building those muscles buried under the fat, and do at least 2 days of HIIT so I can keep being fit right into the cut.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    WOW~ Day 1 is coming to a close for me (just finished dinner) and somehow I managed to stuff over 2100 calories into me!!

Lunch was a mind-blowing Protein Festival for me: I put 2 scoops of Body Fortress Vanilla Protein into 2 Dannon Cherry Yogurts and mixed it all up. It was different, I gotta say. Not bad, not great, just different.:indifferent: Not bad for a first try......

I have a little over 100 calories for the rest of the night which is just right for what I have in mind.

So....DAY ONE is in the books!!! :drinker:

Okay Rosie, I am out of the loop here. I take it you were doing a cut before and now have started a reset? I feel like you have been with me all along, lol.

Yes, doll, I started out doing a Cut. I decided to do some math the other day averaging my calories per week and discovered that over the 8 weeks that I was eating at Cut, my weekly average was STILL UNDER my Cut! Of note is that I GAINED 8 pounds.

I figured that my body was still not "healing" and was still holding on to food for dear life, so after getting some opinions here, I took the plunge and am doing the Reset!!
  • iluvhorses1983
    iluvhorses1983 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Today is exactly 4 weeks into my reset! I am half way there! Woohoo! I tried my new workout video last night (personal training with Jackie - Extreme time saver) and she kicked my butt! I was getting tired of JM yelling at me. LOL
    My weight had been keeping steady (gain of about 2 pounds) until last friday where it decided to jump up almost 3 more pounds and has been staying pretty close to there. Hopefully, it was only because of the pizza (sodium) weekend. I feel like the biggest brown cow in the pasture. =( I have decided not to measure myself until a few weeks into my cut because I would not be able to handle a gain there too.

lucyhoneychur - I am completely with you on feeling like your throwing everything you worked hard for before out the window! Hopefully once we start the cut, we will look and feel better than before!! =)
  • carriea67
    carriea67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Today is exactly 4 weeks into my reset! I am half way there! Woohoo! I tried my new workout video last night (personal training with Jackie - Extreme time saver) and she kicked my butt! I was getting tired of JM yelling at me. LOL
    My weight had been keeping steady (gain of about 2 pounds) until last friday where it decided to jump up almost 3 more pounds and has been staying pretty close to there. Hopefully, it was only because of the pizza (sodium) weekend. I feel like the biggest brown cow in the pasture. =( I have decided not to measure myself until a few weeks into my cut because I would not be able to handle a gain there too.

lucyhoneychur - I am completely with you on feeling like your throwing everything you worked hard for before out the window! Hopefully once we start the cut, we will look and feel better than before!! =)

I will hit my 4 week mark this Friday and have also decided that while I will weigh myself (haven't since June 1st) to make sure that I am on track and have hit my TDEE I will not be taking measurements.

As of now, I am planning on doing the full 8 weeks....as long as I don't stress over my pudge :) I am enjoying eating more foods. So that puts me starting my cut on Monday July 30th - is anyone else around that date?
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options

As much as I think the badge is really cool, I've already made the mental shift to start my reset at 6 weeks vs. my original 4 (which is two weeks from tomorrow). I'm ready now, but I'll ride out the next two weeks through July 4th. It also accommodates my gym access and family stuff going on. I don't feel bad about my decision; I don't have any past EDs or did a VLCD for months and months that wreaked havoc on my metabolism, I've just tried lots of different deficit/exercise/eating combos for the past nine months and did this reset to give EM2WL a good try. My body's ready for a cut, and I look forward to it!

I took measurements this morning, since starting the reset a month ago, and I cringed when I saw every measurement up by an inch. My gain is three pounds since starting, but what bothers me is the inches gained overall and the tummy bloat. It bothered me at first that all my hard work prior to the reset seemed to go out the window. Such a mental game here! I've even looked at my exercise, which has gone from 4-5 days a week to 3 days (2x lifting, 1x HIIT), thinking why should I try so hard when I'm just getting bigger right now? I know that's not the right attitude, reset or not. Starting this week I've resolved to keep lifting heavy 2x/wk to keep building those muscles buried under the fat, and do at least 2 days of HIIT so I can keep being fit right into the cut.

I'm in a similar boat. On week 4 of reset, up 4 pounds (10 pounds total since starting EM2WL back in late Feb./March! UGGGHHH!), and I just took measurements, and am up .5-1.5 inches in most areas. I feel fat. I can't help but think this just isn't working. I'm going to wait out the week, and start cutting. I'm sick of it. I was never VLCD to begin with, and so I don't think my metabolism is that whacked. I follow everything else, hit my macros, exercise, try to eat right. I am going to take an exercise break, because I just ran my second half-marathon, and I need a mental & physical break from training. I readjusted my TDEE based on lower exercise level, and will try that for another week, but I'm seriously discouraged, and wonder why this isn't working. Before EM2WL, I was about 9 lbs. from goal. Now I'm almost 20 pounds, and IT SUCKS!!!!!
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Well, I thought I would start my cut last week, and decided to go ahead and eat at TDEE for another couple weeks. This Friday will be 1 month. Trying to decide if I should do it for 5 weeks since I'll be on vacation. Better than trying to cut calories while on vacation? Any thoughts? Also, I was bad and weighed myself today. I am up to 4.80 lbs total. But, I've lost inches!
  • iluvhorses1983
    iluvhorses1983 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    carriea67 - I am planning on doing the full 8 weeks also. When I first started I was only planning on doing 4 weeks, but I know my body needs more time to recover. I have eaten VLCD my entire life not knowing it and have always been active (worked at a horse barn for 9 years and not have my own mini farm). My cut day is July 24th, so we are pretty close! =)
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Well, 5 week done, and up a total of 1.2 pounds, gained a full pound this last week...but down an inch in the waist and 1/2 inch for the hips. I guess that balances things out!:laugh:
    Reading through "New Rules" today and my BodyMedia core was delivered last night (to the leasing office), so picking that up today. I'll check out the apt. complex "workout center" tonight, if it doesn't have enough equipment I'll join the gym at the hospital I work at.
    I'm gonna have a great day and hope all of you do too!:wink:
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Kind of interesting how vastly different everyone is on reset. Some of us gain huge amounts... some gain very little, some hit plateau right away... Some lose inches and some gain inches.. I wonder why...

I still have fears of doing the full reset and going for cut and still not getting any results.. That I am destined to be fat for forever. Bah!
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    @iluvhorses...I just started my 5th week into reset and have the same experience! I haven't weighed since I started EM2WL. I did cut for the 1st 3 weeks then learned about the reset. I knew I had gained but all in all it wasn't terribly noticeable and my clothes all fit, just a tad tighter. But last week (week 4) I noticed things a lot more tighter and even this week still feeling bigger. I look bigger and my clothes are definitely tighter!

I have my Vegas trip the end of next week so this is disappointing. Also, when I first started EM2WL Tom came a week early. No biggie except now that puts TOM during my trip :grumble: I am hoping that maybe, just maybe many of these symptoms are from TOM coming a little early. I will still have an amazing time with my best friend in Vegas, but its hot there and the last thing I want to do is have to deal with TOM and what it brings me (since having my 2nd and 3rd baby, TOM has been so different and unpredictable)

@Moylie....I feel so fat and discouraged too! So ready for cut but I have come this far I am not going through all of this for nothing! I still feel like once I cut this will work but it really is such a mental thing! I am getting discouraged and in the beginning I was able to look past the icky part and focus on many of the positives. I didn't realize there was more to come!

For about the past 4 weeks I have had reoccurring headaches. Not terrible, just there. I was having them twice a day but now it seems that most days its just first thing when I wake up. Also a few weeks ago I started waking up about an hour before I normally wake up. Then the last few nights I am having trouble falling asleep! Anyone else having these problems?

Now, I do admit there are things on the home front to cause some stress. We live in Iowa but have always wanted to move to warmer climates, esp the South. My DH has been applying like mad but ones he has heard from say they would hire local. So it would be a huge risk to just up and move somewhere with 3 kids and no promise of a job and insurance. So we keep applying while we weigh our options.

I am in week 5 so the end is close! Its so much like pregnancy. The beginning can suck but your excited. Then your in the middle which is pretty good and you have a good groove and you think the worst is over. Then the end comes and it sucks so bad you don't care how bad labor hurts you just want the whole thing over with! 3 weeks isn't that long but it feels like an eternity! :laugh:
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @Rayann1: Totally natural to have that fear. I get it too. But I know it's just fear....not a reality. The weight will come off. :smile:

Right now in the reset, what we gain, what we lose, etc, isn't the focus. (no matter how much we want it to be) The focus is on teaching our bodies to stabilize at maintenance so that we can lose at a healthy cut. I just put on 2 more pounds this past week....so I had to remind myself of that today. sigh.... I'm 5 weeks in, looking forward to cut at the end of 8 weeks. Right now, I'd just be happy to stabilize! :grumble:
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    WOW~ Day 1 is coming to a close for me (just finished dinner) and somehow I managed to stuff over 2100 calories into me!!

Lunch was a mind-blowing Protein Festival for me: I put 2 scoops of Body Fortress Vanilla Protein into 2 Dannon Cherry Yogurts and mixed it all up. It was different, I gotta say. Not bad, not great, just different.:indifferent: Not bad for a first try......

I have a little over 100 calories for the rest of the night which is just right for what I have in mind.

So....DAY ONE is in the books!!! :drinker:

Okay Rosie, I am out of the loop here. I take it you were doing a cut before and now have started a reset? I feel like you have been with me all along, lol.

Yes, doll, I started out doing a Cut. I decided to do some math the other day averaging my calories per week and discovered that over the 8 weeks that I was eating at Cut, my weekly average was STILL UNDER my Cut! Of note is that I GAINED 8 pounds.

I figured that my body was still not "healing" and was still holding on to food for dear life, so after getting some opinions here, I took the plunge and am doing the Reset!!

Okay, I do remember you posting that now. You were supposed to be hitting 1900 and didn't hit it even once, right. Well, welcome to reset!!! I enjoy reading your posts on the main board and I think that is why I thought you were in this thread already. Forgive me, my memory is good, it's just short :laugh:
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    @Rayann1: Totally natural to have that fear. I get it too. But I know it's just fear....not a reality. The weight will come off. :smile:

Right now in the reset, what we gain, what we lose, etc, isn't the focus. (no matter how much we want it to be) The focus is on teaching our bodies to stabilize at maintenance so that we can lose at a healthy cut. I just put on 2 more pounds this past week....so I had to remind myself of that today. sigh.... I'm 5 weeks in, looking forward to cut at the end of 8 weeks. Right now, I'd just be happy to stabilize! :grumble:

I have happily been enjoying my cals at maintenance, although somedays is definitely harder than others, especially if I am off to a late start in the day. I have also been indulging in a few extras that I would have never considered eating on a VLD which is kind of nice to not feel guilt over because it fits in my day, but I do find being on maintenance it is easier to indulge a little too much sometimes. I think that is also helping me feel like I need to make cut soon, so I stop with the extra treats!:)
    Week 5 begins today for me too... one day at a time, one week at a time..
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options

I'm in a similar boat. On week 4 of reset, up 4 pounds (10 pounds total since starting EM2WL back in late Feb./March! UGGGHHH!), and I just took measurements, and am up .5-1.5 inches in most areas. I feel fat. I can't help but think this just isn't working. I'm going to wait out the week, and start cutting. I'm sick of it. I was never VLCD to begin with, and so I don't think my metabolism is that whacked. I follow everything else, hit my macros, exercise, try to eat right. I am going to take an exercise break, because I just ran my second half-marathon, and I need a mental & physical break from training. I readjusted my TDEE based on lower exercise level, and will try that for another week, but I'm seriously discouraged, and wonder why this isn't working. Before EM2WL, I was about 9 lbs. from goal. Now I'm almost 20 pounds, and IT SUCKS!!!!!
    It will come off eventually. Almost all of us gained, me too :(
    But I firmly believe in the process, so there will be a light at the end of the tunnel
    The reset isn't easy, you have to be one strong person to get through it.
    And I am sure YOU are!
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I am 3 and a half weeks into the reset now, and things are ok.
    Clothes are a little bit tight and I feel a bit jiggly around my belly.
    But my arms have toned up nicely, so that's a plus. The definition gets better with every lifting session :)

I do enjoy now eating my cals and sometimes it's hard to stop at 2400. But having that said-I will have to evaluate my cals again after a week of wearing my fitbit. The trend is higher than 2400. Will see what happens then.

Stay strong guys-we can do it :)
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    hello, i posted sometime last week about whether i should do a full reset or not. since i upped my calories 4 id gained 3lbs. haveWeighed in today and have lots the 3lbs! yay! scale ready 134.7! not see that number in about 3 months! I will continue with my cut and if things stall again, will reevaluate