Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Oh I love.d “Leave it to Beaver.” And :”my three sons,” and Lost in Space. The days of simple sweet TV. John was not all that impressed with those sit-com series. He favored adventure and mystery series like The prisoner” etc. he still loves sci-fi. BladeRunner is his all time fav and the original Alien.

Beautiful spring day. I am outside again, doing exercises and listening to my neighbors hammering. He must be building something again. Sweet adorable neighbors. I am so distracted by Katie and John’s activities to get too nosy about neighbors. We all try to mind our own business and stay out if each other’s hair. Frankly, they are not that interesting. But we do have one neighbor that has not mastered the concept of discarding unwanted things. His idea is to toss unwanted items out next to his outbuilding. There it rusts and gathers weeds and accompanying clutter. But it is his method and is at best unsightly. I am trying to deal with my insightful areas....sadly they are gaining on me.

The rug steam cleaner comes with a mobile unit and vacuums out the ugly dirty water but discharges it into our forested area. I am concerned about the chemicals in the cleaning. I am not happy with what I have discovered so far. Will they use another option? Further investigation is necessary.
    Patsy☘️
  • jwubben6600
    Options
    Jackie! Sending you all good vibes and positive thoughts concerning your procedures. You are a strong and positive person. I am sure you will come out the others side, thinking...okay! That task is taken care of. Now to the the gardening, doggie and chicken care, home refurbishing, and supply gathering. The scientist in us wants to know...how did this crazy bump jump onto you? John had the same thing a few years ago. However the medical procedure was crude at best. But he came through just fine while cussing and fuming. Your medical care seems much more advanced. You will have a speedy recovery and we will be with you every step of the way.
    Patsy☘️
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,974 Member
    Options
    :):'( Jake's computer crashed on Monday so he decided to get a new one (Apple instead of PC) He ordered the new computer today but it won't get here for two weeks so we're learning to share. It helps that I'm out walking for two-three hours a day

:) We have had beautiful weather here that's perfect for yard work and walking

<3 Barbie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,093 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday! :) Meeting day and Bryanna coming for dinner. The sun is out but still too cold to sit with Joe outside. Will ride my bike to get some extra calories as I am planning on artichokes and pasta for dinner with a salad and roll. I might skip the roll but will see. I made an appointment with the hand doctor because my hand is still hurting, not as bad but still would like it checked out. I just need to use that hand so I hope the fix is something easy.

Barbie, sorry to hear Jake's computer crashed, I think mine is on it's way out as well. I am hoping when my computer son comes at the end of the month he can change the fan or something because it is very loud when playing my games. lol

Patsy, you impress me with your weights, something I should do for these wing arms. I am glad your weather is co-operating and you can use your deck.

Uh Oh, this is a new page so I will just say hello to everyone and to keep staying safe and healthy.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Evening already for me. It’s been a beautiful day but we still can’t shake off the cold easterly wind. Enjoyed a long walk with George and Betty then stayed outside as much as possible while the dust was flying in the cottage. I’ve lost track of the number of times each day I wipe all surfaces in the kitchen, even the edge of the microwave window. The dish cloths soak in bleach to get rid of their dirty grey colour then I wipe something and off we go again.

The community hall I had my 2nd vaccination In this evening was quiet as I think the country is rattling through the process. No queue and when I sat for the 15 minute wait I could hear a blackbird singing outside. The only effect so far is sore finger joints and since I didn’t experience any for the 1st I can’t complain... difficult to type though so a short post.

Enjoy your meal with Bryanna Sandy. It sounds delicious!

Patsy, I’m feeling the vibes, thank you. Dealing with the mess and dust as well as list of hospital appointments is testing but I’ll do my best to grit teeth and, as you say, come out the other side. Certainly there have been advances in treatment and for that I thank my lucky stars.

Daren't turn back a page and middle finger locking so off for a last cup of tea and warm bedroom.

Jackie
  • Annsie35
    Annsie35 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    A rainy chilly day here after yesterday's heat wave. The groceries turned up along with Michael who was owed a day off from work.

It's difficult not to be nosy with Harry and his antics with his garage being right across from my side LR window. When Mike took Bean for a walk he said the garage is cram full of stuff, floor to ceiling. All morning was spent loading the back of trucks and the trailer. My guess he and Joyce will sell. He was self employed so they won't have much in the way of pensions and they can buy cheaper "up north" thus having some cash leftover for the piggy bank. Whatever, they've kept Bean entertained for two days and there's loads more stuff to keep them going for a week or two more I would think.
    Michael stayed for lunch of fresh Atlantic salmon.

Bean is now fast asleep after three long walks on four short legs and to be honest I'm drinking coffee to keep awake!

I should be getting my second shot today but like everyone else I am cancelled for four months as they try to vaccinate as many people as possible with at least one shot. We had more new cases overnight in Ontario than ever before. Well over 4000.

Stay safe everyone and we need to with next door and crew not wearing masks.
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,140 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Hello friends. Another cold day here. I set off relatively early this morning in two long sleeved shirts and a jacket. Brrrrrr. I was quite nervous for my haircut as I had no idea how they worked. I called when I arrived and they told me to come inside. Had to wait while she finished the prior appointment. I could have waited in the car but okay. The gent ahead of me left and she called me over. The chair was not wiped down or the hair on the floor swept up made me a bit nervous. Glasses off, mask off and she did ask what I wanted. I told her, she actually did that! So less than 10 minutes trimming my hair, I paid up and she said to come back in 8 to 10 weeks to get evened up again. I sprayed myself down with Lysol when I got home and washed the skin off my hands.

Then it was the usual Thursday morning phone call. This afternoon, I have been trying to correspond with an online nursery company. An order arrived with a few seed potatoes. They were wet and rotted. We have another week of cold weather in store. Maybe even snow flurries next Monday.

I am unable to get in touch with other companies/service providers so no new appointments scheduled. I hope to get through my list of things before my vaccine wears off!

Barbie, I am sorry Jake’s computer has broken down. That is something that I think about often as my old Windows computer seems to be on the decline. Please share nicely.

Sandy, enjoy your time with Bryanna this evening. Your meal sounds lovely.

Jackie, yipes, you really do need to have a lot of grit to get through the next weeks. Second shot out of the way. Well done.

Annsie, it does sound as if your neighbors are bailing out for a less pricey area. I guess that would be the wise thing to do to fund your retirement. The job of moving things sounds massive!

Patsy, I hope you are having some decent weather and that all is well in your world.

I had better move along. It seems I am always waiting for someone to call me!

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

Interesting set.

w7l7e6d4pn2w.jpeg
  • pinkperil
    Options
    It continues cool but dry and sunny but with a warm jacket on it’s pleasant. George chose the shorter route this morning but we still managed an hour of strolling and sniffing grass! A couple of doses of Ibuprofen has helped my painful fingers and I’m hoping by this evening I’ll be back to normal, whatever that is!

Not sure I will ever understand the attitude of those not wearing masks. Anne having neighbours both sides of her apparently not seeing the need but particularly Lin’s hairdresser! Good grief Lin, I would have been more than tempted to ask her to put a mask or shield on before she came near me and certainly wipe the chair and brush the floor. You have been so careful for over a year, I’m cross on your behalf. 🤬
    That tea set looks like Mother of Pearl but can’t imagine that would work well with hot tea. An interesting glaze though.

Anne, you’ve got me wondering where Harry is taking all his “junk” if that’s what it is. Hoarders find it difficult to let go of anything so perhaps he has a lockup somewhere. Curiouser and curiouser cried Alice!!
    How great is that, you got to see Michael and enjoy a meal together. Dear Jilly must have been over the moon!

I can feel the sun warming up so will visit my greenhouse and rearrange a few seed trays that need to see a bit more light!

Happy Friday everyone and stay safe.
    Jackie

• Annsie35
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Hello everyone. Just Like JACKIE dear LIN I feel cross as well with the hairdresser. With good reason. Mikes dad phoned him to let him know that his cousin and wife in the UK despite having both vaccine doses have been very, very ill with the virus and although recovering still feel very, very ill. This thing is deadly and I wouldn't go back to that hairdresser. Actually I'm beginning to like my sort of longish pageboy and side swept fringe and unless absolutely infirm doubt I'll see a hairdresser again.
    As Jackie points out neither of my close neighbours wear masks when socializing outside never mind inside, and yesterday I noticed one of Maria's sons was visiting for most of the afternoon. I mention this because although she has the whole family over for festive occasions it's extremely rare for one of the two sons to visit alone. She tells me it scares them to see their dad deteriorating. So I'm wondering if she and Tony are alright.

Meanwhile Harry is back with emptied truck and trailer. It will be costing him if he's taking it to the dump. Still LOADS to go of the unsightly mess so I guess by now you will see why I've had a moan every so often. It's a nice street and to have the "city dump" next door, plus all the mosquitos from stagnant water in empty buckets etc not exactly heaven.

Anyway the front of the house is beginning to look quite nice now we can actually SEE it despite the sweeping brushes and odds and ends littering the front step. I was told by a visiting inspector that our town had three difficult residences in all and although a few half hearted attempts were made in the past after warnings they didn't last long! I never reported them, but I have a feeling they thought it was me.

So I guess me and The Bean will be entertained again today when we sit on the sofa opposite the viewing window drinking coffee, lol. Beats the vintage stuff shown on TV these days.

Enjoy your day everyone and think of the poor hard working neighbours.

Anne.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    TGIF etc. Woke up about 2am and never went back to sleep. Left for gym before 5am and then the grocery store by 6:10am…great time to go. Amazing the flowers they sell… every bit as good as any florist shop and really hold up well. Have purchased “many” times! Plans for the day up in the air so far. I know Jean brings her “friend” to hairdresser at noon and normally they stop for fish to go afterwards or grab a sandwich. It’s a cloudy morning with a little rain. Temp of 40 F and a high should be 48.

tnlv07jao5ps.jpg

Jackie – Sounds like a nice walk. I don’t mind cool as long as it comes with some sunshine. Yesterday was pretty cold in upper 30’s when I first went out. Hope the doses of Ibuprofen eases the pain and you’re back to normal. I gave up on normal a long time ago. LOL

With regards to masks around here…not required outdoors and I never wear one outdoors. BUT… masks are still required for everything I can think of. I have a mask on at the mall, any restaurant unless sitting and yes, when I get my hair cut I am wearing a mask and so is the barber. Enjoy your beautiful greenhouse today! Let me join in on what Patsy said in wishing you nothing but the best with your procedures.

Lin – Sounds like your bundled up for the day. I do prefer weather in the 70’s. That was one strange hair salon. Like I mentioned above, my barber and local salons all still require masks and they are very meticulous about cleaning up after each person. Of course, no business is as clean and sanitary as BlinkFitness…it is “super” hygienic. I have always been a bit of a germ conscious person. My siblings called me “Germ conscious Bobby” because I wouldn’t eat anything someone else had touched. No harassment - but it was true.

Anne – Looks like most of us are getting some cool weather and/or rain with fluctuating temps. Pretty funny about your “nosy” comment and Harry. That would be Jean… I would fall under the category of “oblivious” most of the time. I think it’s a guy thing. LOL. I hear ya on the pension, as I was self-employed half my life. The only people I know that think it’s “easy” and you are your own boss have never done it and had employees with a payroll to meet and benefits to provide. Wish you well with the 2nd shot – glad I am done with both.

Sandy – Hope all went well with meeting day and dinner with Bryanna. Hmmm…I might have to have some artichokes myself today. Funny how we get into the calorie and/or counting steps. I do love my Garmin Tracker synced to MFP and it does motivate and keep me on track.

Barbie – I have had my computer crash twice over the years and definitely not fun. After the first time about 15 years ago, I became “Mr. Back-up” with external drives and Carbonite. Often thought of switching to Apple, but not sure at this stage what I will do next time around. Glad U had beautiful yard work / walking weather.

Patsy – Those were definitely great TV days and I still watch a lot of the old stuff. I also love movies from 30’s, 40’s and 50’s. I also liked (and like) the kind of movies John did. Spring is a wonderful time and I am out every second when it hits above 50 and the sun is out. I find any excuse to take a ride or a walk.
    I love and have – great neighbors. We are friendly to each other and exchange the usual pleasantries but we do not get involved in each other’s lives to any great extent. It’s like the UN around here and NOTHING like the news would have you believe. I might have said this before. I have a wonderful Macedonian family next door (whose son moved in with his kids to take care of his mother when his father died – kids now in college but all wonderful people), on the other side of us is a Sherriff and his beautiful family; across the street is and African American couple in one house to the left and an Asian family to the right. NO ONE has ever had an argument and we would never hesitate to knock on each other’s door – very fortunate. Good luck with your investigation!

Time to clean up and head out…after I think of a destination. Stay healthy everyone. Bob
  • Annsie35
    Options
    JACKIE, I think on reflection that most of H's junk was originally other people's. He was a handyman by trade and I think when he ripped out other people's sinks, wall boards, empty paint cans, planks etc he dumped everything in his two spare bedrooms, garage and garden rather than cart it all to the dump where he would be charged for each weighed in load. Nobody can have done all this renovating in one not too big house with no basement. I have no idea what the people on his other side had to look at but apparently it had to be as bad as this side! We all started off "normal" thirty years ago but as the years passed it just got worse and worse. Maria home and garden are lovely despite her woes but only my bathroom overlooks her property so I will find it weird if we end up with a normal urban view on this side from my living room!
    I will be thinking of you next week. You've really had a trying year to put it mildly.
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,093 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday! :) Laundry is started and will do some dusting and bathrooms. Our dinner was great and Bryanna told me that she lost her job because she can't get there on time from school. I asked her if she wanted to clean my house and I would pay her what I paid my cleaning lady and she liked that idea.
    I am fussy so I will have to show her what I use and how I clean. lol On a side note and I know some of you will cringe but she has a new piercing which is a stud above her mouth. She is 26 so I have no control over what she does and it really isn't bad so I will get used to it.
    I remember when my two sons were young and got an ear piercing which I really hated, neither wears it now that they are mature adults so maybe Bryanna will do the same once a little older. ( I hope)

Annsie, being OCD Harry's house would drive me insane. I guess I would have to put up blinds or curtains so I couldn't see it. If he is moving I do hope you get some wonderful family with wonderful landscaping ideas. Poor Marie, she goes through a lot but I am glad she has sons to help her make decisions.
    How nice that Mike was able to have a meal with you and take Jilly for walks.

Bob, I haven't had whole artichokes for years so I was glad Bryanna requested them. We both like them cold dipped in Italian dressing so it was a treat.

Jackie, I am with you when it comes to wearing masks and those who wear them under their nose. Like Bob, I do not wear a mask outside but carry one with me if I should run into anyone in my space. If I walk the forest preserve I do since there are too many people there. I know you will do great with your procedure you are focused and ready.

Lin, Lisa had the same problem with a hairdresser that did not wear a mask. She of course kept her mask on but was very upset. My hairdresser does wear a mask and I keep mine on as well. I am glad you are fully vaccinated but would not go back there again. Is she the owner, I might call and complain about the way they do business.

Time to eat some breakfast and get caught up. Have a great day and please stay safe.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Hello, a bit chilly and overcast today. Perhaps some rain overnight but right now, we have some sunshine so I just moved some plants outdoors. I hope to keep them out for about an hour. Just a dose of fresh air.

I am trying to rid myself of more boxes but am definitely running out of space until a trash pick up on Tuesday. I have moved several things into the garage that I think will just need to stay there for another week. I will give it a shot.

I also have several additional appointments scheduled. I was able to obtain an eye exam appointment at the end of April. And I received a phone message, the guy will be out the last Wednesday of this month to try to fix the leak on my water filter.

Slowly getting my appointments lined up.

Also ordered some postage this afternoon. I didn’t feel like going into the post office yet.

Thanks for all the comments on the hair trim appointment. I will say this store/shop is gigantic and has high ceilings. I didn’t count them but I am guessing it is a 14 chair shop with a shopping area for products in the front and only two stylists were working with a long distance between them. One other person was inside when I came in, the guy getting a shampoo and cut from the owner, who was the one who was going to cut my hair. She had a mask on and only took it off when the guy left and she walked to the back of the shop. The no cleaning part bothered me and then she talked to me about what I wanted but stood at least 6 feet away. After I sat down without my mask and glasses, she finally put her mask back on while cutting my hair. Then she took it off again when finished. So it could have been better but could have been much worse. But it was much better than the place I had been going which was the size of a big closet with no air circulation. And he is a stylist, he cuts your hair the way he thinks it looks best. Right now, I cannot stand little bangs at all. They drive me crazy. She listened. She also said, everyone that works for her is fully vaccinated. I guess I will believe her. She said she didn’t want anyone to become ill and then blame her shop for it.

Annsie, aha, a handyman. Yes, I believe they take lots of things home. My handyman has a perennially angry wife as he drags home all sorts of things and their huge garage is packed. The woman cannot stand clutter. He cannot stand giving something up that might be useful someday. I just checked into the procedure for getting rid of an old dehumidifier. Good grief. If I read the details properly, I must find a place to purchase large item stickers. After buying and affixing $35 worth of them, I can call to have the item picked up. They will get around to it when they can. It could be at the curb for weeks. Now I know why I have seen things at the curb for a long time.

Bob, I love the photos taken in ‘your store.’ I would love to shop there. What a wonderful selection of flowers. They are so colorful. Enjoy your weekend.

Sandy, I am sorry Bryanna lost her job. That is sad. I hope you can work out an arrangement that works for both of you. And I have not had an artichoke for eons. A long time ago when I went to dinner regularly with a group of friends, one lady always wanted to go to a restaurant that had hot artichoke dip. She adored it.

Patsy, I love old television and ancient movies. In fact, I prefer old black and white movies. I guess they make me feel comfortable. I know the plots in many of them so it is like visiting an old friend.

Jackie, hope you are doing well today and that your fingers are on the mend. Get some rest in advance of all that is on you schedule next week.

I had a long conversation with a friend yesterday. She was so incredibly happy. She went out to lunch with a friend she hadn’t seen for almost two years and they went to their favorite restaurant. She said it was full but all employees wore a mask and the menus were paper instead of reusable. They are already planning on going again.

Well, back to trying to dispose of boxes and stuff.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

A pomegranate teapot

50rkejkaukkg.jpeg
  • jwubben6600
    Options
    Lovely warm day today. We are having an unusual weather event here. After what I thought was a wet cold winter here, the news reports that we are in the middle of a huge water shortage. Many water districts are dangerously low. Scary summer ahead they say. Oh great! More wildfires? I feel like complaining to management...who would that be, do you think?

I loved Grantchester but honestly! John was pretty bored and outlined the plot in about 10 minutes into the show. I love sweet bloodless mysteries. I don’t need gunfire, explosions or car chases. However my “roomie” requires entertainment with a higher energy level. Viva la difference!

Katie has spring fever I guess. She has no appetite and she wants to lie on the deck gazing into the distance. I will keep track of this. As long as she is basically healthy, she could benefit from a small weight loss. She tends to be somewhat porky, just like me.
    I have heard dogs adopt personality traits of their owners. Oh no! Two neurotic females under the same roof? John is totally outnumbered.

I am still laughing and choking at the same time. There are all these Yo uTube channels hosted by older women. They are seriously telling us how to put on makeup for the mature face....how to be stylish while being stuck at home during lockdowns and isolation. Dressing up for dinner even if you are dining alone. I am defiantly out of step here. I feel great if I can get into clean clothes with no holes or missing buttons. I feel stylish when I smear on some lipstick and a squirt of cologne. What is wrong with me? I really need to up my game.

Tonight is veggie pizza night. (Cauliflower crust again). I will wear my dress pink tee shirt with the sparkly heart. Since John is mowing grass, he will settle for his dirty sweatshirt and a bottle of his fav beer. We don’t seem to be very stylish, no matter what.

Everyone here seems to be cranking along. Good! Just remember to stay safe, we are not quite out of the woods yet on this evil virus.
    Patsy☘️
  • linder4866
    Options
    Good morning. There was a bit of rain overnight but it may be over for a while as the sun is out. I will be leaving soon to try to drop off some paper at a local shredding event. If the lines are too long, I will try another event next weekend. That one is hosted by the Lions Club and they are also accepting used eyeglasses.

Patsy, I have tossed out my cologne and use a bit of essential oil when I want to feel like I do indeed smell nice. 😁 I have missed all the YouTube videos on this topic apparently. Which is a-okay.

I will miss the funeral broadcast this morning since I will not be home. That is probably all right. There will be bits shown later I am certain.

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

ntu34olztqiz.jpeg
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Prince Philip laid to rest in a very beautiful ceremony on a gorgeous spring day in England. The piper's Lament particularly moved me and the choir of only four because of the restrictions truly remarkable.
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    Options
    A perfect ceremony for the Duke with his amazing choices of music but I particularly loved the first lesson... look at the rainbow and praise it’s Maker.
    Ah yes Anne, the piper’s lament, always moving but I could almost see Philip following him out that door into the sunshine.

Jackie
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Did you notice the two brothers separated on the walk to the service JACKIE standing together coming out. Anne.
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Meanwhile back at the homestead, more stuff being cleared out next door. The snow blower is on the back of the trailer!
    Anne.
  • jwubben6600
    Options
    Though I am not English, I was drawn to the final dignified and beautiful goodbye attended by those who loved him best. He must have been a remarkable man. I could feel the respect and special feelings people had for him. I wish I had known him. The sight of Queen Elizabeth was so heartbreaking. A tiny fragile woman, so very alone in a troubled time.

We have another lovely day here. It will be a bit uncomfortable in the late afternoon but with the help of a fan, we will be just fine. Something about the humidity in the air and ocean/Columbia River makes even moderately warm days feel extraordinarily hot and sticky. Or I am a hot house flower that requires a narrow temperature range to flourish.

I have been getting many many scam phone calls and emails. Why all of a sudden...so many?

Katie has bounced back and I can see she is a master manipulator. She is getting extra special food, some new toys and more play time outside with me. None of these strategies seem unreasonable. It is a sign of doggies intelligence. They have a huge capacity for training us to understand their needs. They really are complex creatures.

Anne: I love your ability to be an investigator. It reminds me of some of the British mystery TV series. I would never have been able to understand the plans of a neighbor just from his trash. You are Almost an Agatha Christy. I am such a bad speller, hope you get the picture. It is evidence of a very active imagination and creative deduction. Well done, Miss Marple!

Jackie: how are you doing there in the dust bowl? No allergic reactions or sinus infections? I wondered about the doggies and the kitty. I wonder if the dust bothers them?

Lin: isn’t that an interesting teapot? I see it as table top sculpture.

Creeping toward the kitchen in preparation for a springtime dinner of salad and fruit again for dessert. I will cut up some chicken to toss into the salad, just for our protein loving John.

Must keep breathing and moving forward, hope you all are doing the same.
    Patsy☘️