Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Annsie35
    Annsie35 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I might not have to buy a new vacuum after all. Lurking in a dark corner of the basement is a big round drum. Mark's informed me it's a central vacuum cleaner installed over 30 years ago. There is one unused remaining heavy duty commercial bag sitting there with it. Mark says it works but is probably full of renovation debris he did years ago, plaster, wood chips etc. Mike is over tomorrow and we are going to view this phenonomen, find out how to change the dust bag, try it out and hope it doesn't suck wee Jilly up if it's as powerful as Mark says. I knew it was there of course but always having had a vacuum cleaner never thought to use it. There are outlets all over the place to plug the pipe in.
    No, I don't need a cleaning lady, yet. Not if this thingy works. Mark is a bit like PATSYs son, keeps an eye on me a bit more than I need! Anyway you can tell it's sort of hidden, the drum, because Mike lived in the finished basement for two years whilst he got himself sorted out after the wife took off and he hadn't noticed it in that time and to be fair it is in a small unused room lurking behind boxes and Christmas trees etc.
    It's a little bit warmer today and we reach 60f tomorrow.
    Settling down for the evening,
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Up and out very early for our walk on the moors. Sunshine with a bit of a breeze so perfect for all three of us. Very quiet at home with no neighbours about so I’ll continue to potter in the garden then visit the allotment this evening to water plants we put in last week.

Lin, I’m loving the hummingbird series of teapots. Who’d have known so many were out there?
    I’d have loved to have moved out but when the builders began before Easter we were still in lockdown so not even a mobile home to rent! I’m trying very hard not to count the days and before Dave left yesterday we ran through what’s left to be done. It doesn’t sound much but he’s had to add a floor screed before the tiles are laid because of the uneven levels... another old property quirk! Goodness knows how I keep the pets off that for 24 hours!! Joe used a bucket of excess concrete to reset a couple of loose paving slabs in the garden yesterday but before he could place the slabs on top Betty had walked straight into the middle. Into a bath of water before that burnt her feet!
    Now this morning the electrician has messaged to say he won’t get here until the June 8th so I can see work grinding to a halt again. 🤪
    Great work protecting your plants even if it was a bit elaborate, at least it sounded so.

Goodness Anne, what a discovery! If you can find a new bag you’ll be set for years because those things usually hold large ones. Dave leaves his industrial vacuum here for me to use which is very powerful and the way willow seeds are drifting into my garden room in the breeze I can see I’ll be busy this evening! A shame I’d find it impossible to carry upstairs although the Shark has been permanently parked up there since work started.

Patsy, to my mind boat owners are the same as owners of horses, in other words obsessed. Nothing is too much trouble or too expensive and everything else comes a distant second! I do hope if Damon has confidence in you and John taking on the yard work then it is achievable although I do know the weather has a lot to do with what sort of results are achieved. Slow but sure is my mantra!

Oops, lunchtime already so best get on. Hello to Sandy, Bob and all others checking in.
    Enjoy your Sunday.
    Jackie
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! A bit foggy right now but things will change shortly. Sweet Katie is still snuggled in her bed. The foggy morning has dampened her enthusiasm for a romp out in the yard. Later, I guess.

Anne: Wow! Your cleaning and vacuuming system sounds complicated. Knowing me...I would mess up the whole system almost immediately. There are so many good light vacuums these days, some not too expensive, I have opted for that. I have a vacuum on each floor. I had seen these home vacuum systems and they look amazing. Easy to use?

Jackie: my reaction to your extensive remodel was how much you have done on your cottage. It does seem your workmen are exceedingly slow. Do you think they feel they can put you on the bottom of their list because you are a single woman? Just a thought. It happens here all the time. Single women are taken advantage of all the time. Car garages, banks, repairmen, etc. oh yes you are spot on when thinking about sailboat owners. To Damon, the boat is alive and is sort of like a glamorous girlfriend. She is always demanding expensive trinkets. But he loves her.....

John and Damon briefly discussed our getting help but it remains a touchy subject. We are now going at it in stages. Small projects that can handled by a hired yard service. Then slowly inch up from there. This is so interesting. We are having trouble getting a simple yard maintenance company do the yard work. But symbolically it must mean something else to my dearest John. I guess I understand. We each have our special territory that we feel belongs exclusively to us.
    Patsy☘️

• NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday to all…

A mixed weather bag today with a high of 60 and occasional afternoon rain. Getting ready for Memorial Day picnic at my nephew/niece’s home tomorrow. Should be 72 and sunny, but not warm enough for me to jump in a pool.
    Just made my lunch to eat in an hour or so - Broccoli florets, Spag Squash, Asparagus tips, Meatball, mushrooms and mixed Bell peppers.

goq6z7ppich9.jpg

Tonight there is another concert at the ice cream stand, although I told Jean I am not sure I can handle more than 90 min or so, as it will be about 50 degrees by then and just not as enjoyable as a 75 degree night.

Anne – Not sure about a “thunder” bowl under the bed…never been able to accomplish that even in a hospital setting. LOL. Jean actually turned the heat on and that is unusual… I am normally the cold one and she generally feels hot. Sweat pants and sweaters were back out. I actually wore a turtleneck Friday night!

Lin – As you can tell by the above post – colder temps and a furnace running is also a part of our lives and not the norm for Memorial weekend. With regards to your comment about “having bathroom facilities on both levels” – I so wish we had a ranch! Enjoy the holiday!

Jackie – I’d agree 18c is nice for walking and gardening – I just wish it was warmer for the picnic and concert this weekend. Oh well, not like it is a real problem. I love the pic’s you post – it’s like traveling without the expense. I laughed when I read your desire to avoid the crowds. Jean and I pretty much avoid the crowds on weekends and sort of enjoyed when we were partially locked down but could get out… now it’s like “Who are these people and what are they doing out and about mid-week during the daytime? LOL.

Sandy – Glad U liked the pic. The diner has become a landmark for that area and has a 50's décor throughout. Fun spot we go to once or twice year. How was PF Changs? We have one in the mall, but have never been. Totally agree on 54F as too cold for the pool… I need 75 or above! I don’t care what the temp is outside a pork roast is always great for dinner!

Patsy – Sounds like some nice, well-deserved weather. Your “ think of this as some sort of weird fitness program” seems like a great idea – lemons into lemonade LOL.

Your ending sentence – “Least we forget...remember those who gave their lives to protect us. Memorial Day 2021” is so spot-on!!!

I had mentioned to Jean last week how so many young people have been so indoctrinated they don’t comprehend the sacrifices that were made for all of us. Then I saw a NY Post story that reflected exactly what I meant…
    DC College students were interviewed and their comments disgusted me. Comments like:

“I didn’t really think in this way until I went to college and I took women’s and gender studies classes and that put me on this path where I’m like, ‘yeah, f–k the US.'”

A young woman in the video said Memorial Day “represents a lot of negative aspects of America and highlights something that people shouldn’t necessarily be proud of.”

VERY SAD! Here is the video / article

https://nypost.com/2021/05/29/dc-students-eagerly-sign-fake-petition-to-cancel-memorial-day/

I have never stopped thinking of all the sacrifices of those that died for our liberties from George Washington to present. Presents are nice at Christmas (but not what it is about) and BBQ’s are nice Memorial Weekend (but also not what the holiday is about).

Hope you and everyone else enjoys this special weekend. :)

Warmest (literally) wishes Bob
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,037 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday! :) Outside movie night has been changed to indoor movie night. We will be going early for pizza and then watch The Croods. It is nice now, and will get up to 72, but will be cooler when the sun goes down and we will get home earlier.
    My menu is getting messed up as we have so many leftovers so will probably just keep the rest frozen until the next time. Such small problems, sorry.

Bob, PF Chang's is good but food is high in calories, not the best restaurant for those of us who count calories or carbs. My DIL is gluten free and I don't think they worry about calories as much as I do but I try to be a good hostess. lol

Patsy, glad you had a great visit with Damon and he sounds like a wise man. Take Jackie's advice and do it nice and slow and it will get done.

Jackie, glad you finally got some sunshine. Did Betty walk through the cement, glad she didn't get burnt.

Annsie, central vacuum sounds great to me although that is why I have Bryanna cleaning my house. Vacuuming really hurts my back along with a lot of lifting or bending. Heck to get old!!

Lin, sounds like things are going well with garden and friends. I don't remember reading about someone driving into your neighbors townhouse. I do hope no one was hurt.

My son and his wife just left for him to drop her off at mall to walk around while he goes visits his dad to help him with something. I will ride the bike while they are gone and get ready for our visit with the kiddos.
    Have a great day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,085 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Mikes just left and we did get to sit outside for a bit in the sunshine.

Bad news for me: I have been forbidden to use the central vacuum because of the huge "pipe" that runs between the drum and the attached brushes etc. Reason, the lads are frightened the "snake" or pipe will get between my legs and I'll trip and fall down the stairs. This is a distinct possibility I must admit. My mother and all her girl friends used to tell me that once you hit 80 in years everything goes haywire, eyes, hearing, hips etc and this is true of me, I've gotten tottery. So, make sure all you still in your seventies that you have renovations, gardeners, cleaning ladies etc in place before you hit this magic number. I would never have believed this when I was 79 and still acting like a teenager.
    However, just like Jackie I intend keeping my independence as long as possible and if I'm honest keeping away from heavy duty coiled snakes is good advice although I am loathe to admit it.

Mike took my 24 year old Dell computer which is still in top condition (although It wouldn't accept the internet) downstairs to join the central vacuum. He wants us to keep it in case the internet goes haywire. So I've now got a lovely empty desk waiting for the laptop to arrive. When that will be we are beginning to wonder. No word from Apple and they haven't cashed the visa payment yet. Maybe something to do with the Memorial Day weekend.

Well, after a lunch of buttery mashed potatoes, green peas and tilapia I'm ready to put my feet up. I think I wore Mike out carrying computers and modems downstairs because he galloped home for what I suspect, a nap.

Warmest wishes from here as well. Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Lin, that is amazing and horrifying.

Anne, good advice from your kiddos.
  • linder4866
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Good evening. Just saying hello. Nothing much to share today. I attended online church but was disappointed that the special music and readings for Memorial Day were not broadcast. I played with my plants, doing some trimming up, read a book that needs to go back to the library soon and finished a micro puzzle. Unfortunately several pieces are missing and although I hunted, I could not locate them.

lbmckz4je2ip.jpeg

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

A lovely silver teapot
    aspt5f1q6e82.jpeg
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Another beautiful warm day (20c) with enough breeze to keep things comfortable and I was out on the moors just after 7.30 for our steady climb to the top. My breathing and heart get exercised too that way. Spring bank holiday so no builders but my intention is to vacuum and dust my bedroom as they intend to begin work on the new loo fittings. I’ve already washed 2 throws that lie across the bottom of my bed because the pooches have been snoozing on them and now it’s warmed up I don’t need to keep my feet cosy! Bedding off and in the washing machine next.

I met 2 people on my walk at different times out with carrier bags collecting the rubbish strewn about by visitors in spite of strategic rubbish bins. I shall take a bag with me in future to do the same otherwise the grazing livestock might end up eating it!

The window cleaner has arrived so I’ll pop out to pay him then return… one job Anne I’m happy to pay someone to do!

Jackie
  • pinkperil
    Options
    He’s gone! An anti vacs conversation with all the conspiracy theories he’s read so I suggested he use common sense rather than Facebook!

Yes Sandy, typical Betty was straight into the concrete before we could stop her so I stood her in a bath of water and washed it off before it caused damage. A large area under the stairs was dug out early on and finally filled Saturday but a board has been placed in front upright to stop the pets going near. Of course Brady showed lots of interest and attempted to jump over but I spoke firmly to him and that made George chase him away!

I’m certainly pleased I had cataracts and hips replaced before I became decrepit. They definitely gave me a new lease of life and I certainly wouldn’t be climbing the moors with the pooches now.

Back to housework.
    Take care everyone 🥰
    Jackie
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Good morning and good afternoon dear Sneakers.

After telling everyone to be careful I had an interesting accident last night with luckily no ill effects. Except a shake up. Had to go to the loo in the small wee (lol) hours and I was stupid enough not to put the light on thinking I could see by the light of the silvery moon streaming through the window. Huh uh. I'd forgotten to put away a footstool moved whilst Michael staggered around with computers to prevent HIM tripping up! I did a swan dive but fortunately only hit the floor and not the wall. Nothing broken, no bruises, just a good old shake up. Lesson: turn lights on in future nocturnal wanderings!

I wish I had a window cleaner, I miss my old UK window cleaner who was a real old gossip. These days unless I climb a step ladder outside I can't reach most of the windows. It's a bungalow but the basement is a third above ground making the upper windows too high to reach. I'd love a window cleaner but they are as rare as hens teeth. Never seen one over here.

Michael was out for ages with Bean on their walk. Apparently not walking though. They had to stop every few yards as locals and kids petted the Bean. Everyone knows her name in the neighborhood including the mailmen which makes a continuous walk difficult as Jilly loves to be petted.

I'm stripping my bed down to wash everything JACKIE, great minds think alike, but decided I'll use caution and avoid the vacuum and it's long long tube after last night. I was thinking of having a go! On the quiet of course.

Enjoy your holiday, gang, our next is Canada day, July 1st.
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    Options
    “On the quiet” Anne. That did make me giggle! I’d be tempted too but don’t you dare. One accident this week is one too many even if, thank goodness, you didn’t hurt yourself. Before Dave left on Saturday I showed him how I walk about downstairs in the dark with arm out waving in the air because the electrics are all off until Paul returns next week. It was my way of suggesting he ensure no tools, buckets or bags of plaster are left lying about!

An early lunch on the patio of cottage cheese and pineapple, also a small kit-kat I’m trying to wean myself off! A neighbour is strimming grass with a noisy screaming petrol thingy so I’ll get back to housework.

Jackie
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Been on the move since the wee hours and just wanted to pop in and say hello on the special day!

We’re heading out in 5 minutes for a 9:30am Memorial Day parade - Melanie is marching. Then back home to prepare salads etc to bring with us to an all-day BBQ that starts at 12pm. Weather is far better than yesterday (concert was cancelled). Should be sunny and low 70’s. Will try to catch up tomorrow on posts.

Already spent a few hours remembering our history and the freedom we enjoy because of those that fought and died for us and our children / grandchildren.

Have a blessed and wonderful day. Bob

l1x42kzlcqb7.jpg

• Annsie35
    Options
    JACKIE !!!!!! I'm most concerned about you moving around at night with no electricity! Have you got a flashlight at least! Is the electrician aware you could take a tumble and therefore should get his act together! You neither look or act your age, which like I said in an earlier post, can be a disadvantage.
    Please phone him, tell him that your gormless friend in Canada is most concerned after her tumble and will sue him if anything happens to our JACKIE due to his "come day, go day, God send Sunday" attitude. The last thing you need is the hip redone!
    Sorry to be an interfering old biddy but I really am concerned.
    Anne. ❤️
  • Sandydur
    Options
    2225364vnwiioevuy.gif

Happy Monday! :) Warmer day but no sun, so no pool but it is not warm enough anyway. We had a good time with the kiddos yesterday and even jumped in the trampoline with them.
    5giaj34d36ae.jpg
    We watched The Croods and it was a fun day.
    Today nothing exciting going on, we might take a walk in the forest preserve since there is no sun. Depends on Laurie because she had a migraine yesterday but really didn't tell us. I wish her doctor could help her but she has suffered her whole life.
    We will just have leftovers as we have so many including pizza from yesterday. Bryanna will come later to trim Laurie's hair and I hope mine before we play games.

Enjoy your day no matter what you are doing and please stay safe and be careful in the dark. A little nightlight would help create some light without putting on the bright lights. Love you Sneakers.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    We have high clouds right at the moment but I know change is on the way. Should be a warm day. Not sure if we will eat on deck or not. Depends on the mood of the moment.

Our late musician friend always played taps at a special vets concert. We all miss him and his wife is inconsolable. Her surgery is healing and broken bones are mending. her broken heart might never heal!
    The small concert at a Fort Stevens is happening soon. I decided I can’t go and John , sadly, is not up to it. We are watching a special Memorial Day performance on TV and several phone calls to friends and family. John placed flags, along with neighbors, along our country road. Looks so beautiful. They Will remove them for next year tomorrow morning. Our sweet neighbors remove ours and place them in a box on our doorstep. They do this at dawn, Katie lets them know she is on duty.

We are a liberal yet very patriotic family. Even my aunt was in the marines along with all my dads brothers. My mom’s family were all in the Air force. They ended up all pilots and several worked in the industry. But the ranching continues to this day. Memorial Day is always a wave and nod to our departed family military members. Hello and a reverent thanks!

Anne: no fooling around on this. Get yourself a supply of small low wattage night lights that plug into the walls. I have one in every room. It is a very necessary safety measure.
    Hello to all,
    Patsy☘️🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

• pinkperil
    Options
    Anne, please don’t worry, I do have a light on the stairs and once in the kitchen I feel around for the light switch that works there. It’s the room in between that currently has nothing more than wires sticking out of walls and ceiling so nowhere to plug in a night light either. Once my eyes adjust from walking into or out of the dark I’m ok and now daylight is longer it isn’t often I’m in the dark; usually Betty wanting to go out for a middle of the night constitutiona and there’s a torch in the garden room. Dave phoned earlier to ask what colour grouting I wanted with the floor tiles as he was in the tile shop so I mentioned the delay in Paul’s arrival but he said don’t worry, we’ll get on and work round what he needs to do so something has definitely changed for the better. I’m now betting on the football Euros competition about to start that he and Joe will want to watch on tv!

Patsy, I had a conversation with a friend recently who once had similar problems with a builder and we came to the conclusion we women try our best to maintain a pleasant atmosphere in our nests whereas some men will become confrontational in similar situations and the perpetrators know it! I’ve done all I can to get on with Dave without arguing and he is actually a very nice fella but you are right, whether it’s garages or what I refer to as stores that supply male goodies I feel either ignored or treated like an idiot who wouldn’t understand the complexities of their world. Interesting because more and more I see women shopping in these places proving to staff they do know so perhaps attitudes will change. If I meet what we used to call chauvinistic attitudes I take my business elsewhere!

Another great photo Sandy. I’m not sure I could even climb on to a trampoline never mind bounce so good on you!!

Another series of Call the Midwife just finished, at least I assume it has because last night’s episode was followed by a look back on their 10 years. Hankies at the ready if you haven’t yet caught up!

Cup of tea time!
    Jackie

• linder4866
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Hello, I have been doing my little morning chores but stopped for the President’s speech this morning. Now my eyes are all watery. Also saw so many posts on Facebook that added to the tears.

So switching over to more paperwork to be mailed tomorrow. Books ready to return to the library.

I plan to start working on designs for 4th of July cards and some June birthdays.

Jackie, I have a battery lantern that provides a lot of light. Can you find something similar to help with the safety of stairs in the dark? It is good to have a backup even if the wiring is in place. Please take care. They really left you in a mess!

Anne, oh my gosh, I am very sorry that you took a tumble. It is very fortunate that you did not break anything. I agree, you need nightlights! If I had to, I would use the flashlight app on my phone but if the power is on, I also have a lamp to switch on next to my bed. My folks had a built in vacuum system. I detested it. Brought my own vacuum. Dealing with the long hoses didn’t work for me.

Patsy, it is lovely that you and your neighbors put out flags each year. This year a lady across the street put out some small flags. One other neighbor put out one flag.

Sandy, I love the trampoline picture. What fun. Enjoy your day and the leftovers!

Bob, you are on the run again. Enjoy the barbecue today. Greetings to Jean.

Be safe.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

d7wy0we7cic4.jpeg

• Annsie35
    Options
    Well, my apple laptop should arrive on Thursday.

Our Memorial Day is the same as the UK Rembrance day on November 11th. I always think of my poor great grandma who lost three sons in the First World War. We were so lucky in the second, everyone came home, cousin Doug from Burma, Captain Uncle Donald from Atlantic crossings, the man next door survived three separate torpedo hits on separate fishing trawlers, our candy shop owner survived Japanese capture as did a workmate and my Aunties friend who survive internment in Singapore by the Japanese, after the British fleet and her husband had to leave the wives behind, and on and on.
    Will we ever learn! It appears not,

Thanks for the night light tips, I have one, but it wouldn't work for Jackie with no electricity. I can only think of an oil lamp if you can still find one, Jackie. We had one in our outside loo when I was a kid. A welcoming beam on a freezing night tracking to the "lackasolus" which my dad named after a plain on the moon! I was always scared tracking to the bottom of the garden in winter before bedtime. At least that's a change for the better!

Anne. 🇬🇧🇺🇸🇨🇦