Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,357 Member
    edited June 2021
    Good afternoon. Oh my. It.Is.Hot.

I zipped over to the library to return my books before 8am and it was already too warm at over 80 degrees F. High today expected mid-90’s. But we *might* get a bit of rain tomorrow. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

I had a long conversation with my Thursday phone call friend. I spoke with another friend the other evening and we didn’t get off the phone until 10pm. And then there was my friend with dementia who called and nothing much made sense but I would answer the same questions over and over. Finally clicked off on my cell phone when my old home phone rang and I didn’t answer it. The answering machine clicked in and yes, it was her again, saying she was lonely and needed to talk to someone and had just thought of me. I did not call her back. Her ability to retain information seems to be completely gone.

Well, once again, nothing interesting here at all.

Sandy, keep on zipping about!

Anne, the more you work with your laptop, the more comfortable you will be with it.

Patsy, good day to you. Best wishes on saving your Camilla bush. Waving to John and Katie as well.

Jackie, indeed, Cornwall is mentioned in the news all the time right now with the summit. I hope there is no trouble or protests.

Bob, 🙋🏼‍♀️. Did I miss your post again?

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

I believe someone said this is Spode? No idea. I like the shape and of course, there is blue!

bwysg4r8j4ie.jpeg
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited June 2021
    Hello friends. Another murky day beginning with thick low cloud sitting on my roof that thinned slightly but never quite went away. I walked George and Betty early again but when I let them off in our usual field had to keep an eye on them because they kept disappearing in the fog and I didn’t want another drama losing George. Betty always runs to my feet if I walk too far from them.
    Dave and Joe have been working hard today so I kept the cups of tea coming. Both rooms downstairs now finished apart from floor tiles and the airing cupboard just needs plastering which won’t take long being so small.
    This afternoon I did a lot of potting on of veggie plants in my greenhouse while my solar radio kept me company. The rude neighbour who screamed at me the other day when I challenged him about destroying the boundary hedge worked in his garden while the digger kept on clearing ground but I ignored both. Later on Debs on the other side popped round to tell me nasty’s wife arrived at their door about 8pm offering cabbages that had been dug up then mentioned they were going to put a fence up where they had removed the hedge because they knew I liked my privacy but since I hadn’t told her what had happened she said what a nice idea. We think that was a way of telling me they would put things right rather than having to speak to me but whatever, I’ll wait patiently and see what happens. Dave had already offered to construct a 6’ fence for me but said hold off because why should I pay out if the neighbours realise they are in the wrong. Probably worried the photos I took have been forwarded to a solicitor!
    Not sure how my weigh in tomorrow will go as I’ve been eating too much chocolate as comfort food!!

Gosh Sandy, you used to tell me my days made you feel exhausted but you are doing the same to me now. I’m sure you know where is safe to visit and who so life has to go on. I’m sure you will have a ball although good luck with Ewok!!
    I read today there is a couple of new clusters in the town I visited yesterday to shop and I’m not at all surprised as I saw several people walk round me and into the store when I paused to gel my hands at the entrance… mostly younger kids!

Anne, Harry must be exhausted or maybe his wife insisted they move in the hope he would throw most of his junk away! I bet you’ll be pleased to see new faces in the property. Jilly too of course!
    Yes, we do all have a different approach to doctors. I certainly avoid our GP practice but have received wonderful care at the hospital and trust them totally. I didn’t visit either until I hit 66 when the law of averages began to throw all sorts at me! My mother would say life revolves in 7 year cycles in which case next year should be the end of medical issues! Oops, kiss of death! Oops, shouldn’t mention that!! 😜

Patsy, At the back of a kitchen cupboard is a small bottle of brandy I bought many years ago when a chutney recipe included a couple of tablespoons but I forget it’s there in times of angst! Probably just as well!

Lin, looks like you got in ahead of me so I’ll finish and read, also check on any teapot!

Hi Bob and all others I missed. The fog is drifting back and I need a cup of tea!
    Jackie
  • pinkperil
    Certainly looks like Spode Lin and big enough to cook a casserole in! As for the G7 meetings, if they are dealing with the same mizzle that’s hanging over me demonstrators won’t find their way along the narrow country lanes!

Jackie
  • pinkperil
    We’ve had a pleasant morning walking high on the moors although I realised halfway round my hefty walking shoes are leaking and I ended up with soggy socks! I had initially led the pooches up the track to drop off rubbish for collection before walking round the block but George was in no mood for that sort of stroll and stood stock still so I walked back to my garage sand loaded the 3 of us into my car to drive on the moors. George was much happier and sweet Betty ran about like a puppy so all was well in the end. Of course they discovered the muddiest pool to splash about in!
    8sd4t8qlu1dg.jpeg

Anne, do you recognise this plant? It looks familiar but I can’t place it.
    uj0byn92f4yh.jpeg

It was sitting in a large bunch on the moor and I thought I might try to take a cutting or piece of root if not likely to spread everywhere.

When we returned home Debs visiting niece was getting her 18 month old daughter out of her car having taken her to see the lambs and ponies on the moor and asked if they could visit my hens and especially Storm as young Ottilie loved all animals. We stood in the chicken run while Storm did her best to hide but it turned out Ottilie was far more interested in the muddy George and Betty watching us from the other side of the netting and then Brady who clambered on the roof! Everyone duly entertained!

The mist and drizzle have lifted although it’s still a bit gloomy but not cold. I’m going to get myself some cottage cheese and fresh pineapple for lunch before putting on wellies and doing some gardening.

Of course I forgot to weigh myself didn’t I so will hopefully post in that section tomorrow.
    Happy Friday sneakers. Whatever your plans, stay safe and well.
    Jackie

• Annsie35
    Annsie35 Posts: 919 Member
    Hi JACKIE. I think your plant might be a wood anemone. They show their faces round about bluebell time and also have that sort of leaf. Up north we called them wind flowers.

I'm waiting for the grocery man and Michael and later poor Jilly gets her claws cut. Oh by the way. you did the right thing not getting weighed because SANDY wants us to wait until Saturday. Lovely photo of the pups.
    Maybe more later if only about Beans ordeal and me worrying when she's hauled off and we have to wait outside.

That was good news about the fence by the way.

Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,266 Member
    Happy Friday! :) Back from driving Bryanna to school, hopefully her car is done today. I am doing a couple of loads of laundry and hope to get to the pool for an hour because later I am taking a friend who had foot surgery to lunch.
    In all honesty I wish I could just stay home but I haven't seen her for over a year do to the pandemic. I will survive, one of my favorite songs.

Anne, thanks for remembering and although my weight will probably be the same tomorrow after eating lunch out I appreciate you for going along with me and changing to Saturday. Poor Jilly, hope she doesn't faint like this dog.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YQ1uKNDuNw

Jackie, tomorrow is great forget Friday for a while although with summer and not riding the bike as much I think I am doomed. Love the pooches in the puddles although wouldn't want to clean them. I love to hear kids laugh as I am sure the 18 month old did when seeing the animals. Illinois has opened to full capacity today although I will still wear a mask in stores for a while. Schools are still required to wear masks and some businesses. It is going to take a while to get used to being "normal" but happy for the businesses that were struggling.

Lin, dementia is so sad, my favorite uncle had it and when I went to visit him he really didn't know me. I told him I was his sister's daughter and he asked how she was even though she had died many years before. I am so happy you are patient with your friend even when it gets frustrating. More zipping around today and tomorrow, I will be happy to get away on our little mini trip next week.

Hello to everyone else, but I am going to eat and get ready for pool. Have a wonderful day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• linder4866
    Hi

No Internet service for me until who knows when. The cell service on my phone is pathetically slow.

I am enjoying the photos and your lovely posts.

We were promised some showers today. That isn’t happening but at least it is a bit cooler.

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

Will try to post a teapot. 🤞🏻

fmc8y21k6urk.jpeg

• pinkperil
    Loved the video Sandy. And here’s one my brother sent to me recently when I explained how difficult it is to clip Betty’s nails. I have to resort to a grinder but she hates that too!

https://youtu.be/9X9xPetX9Ao

Thanks Anne, I’ll look up the wood anemone but if it is it must have got lost on the moor!
    Jackie
  • pinkperil
    https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-small-white-flower-with-red-stamen-144545292.html

Not wood anemone Anne but I found this website. Unfortunately they don’t say what it is although leaves similar to London Pride! Curiouser and curiouser cried Alice!!

Jackie
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Oh I love the videos of doggies getting their nail clipped. Makes me feel like Katie isn’t quite such a maniac. Although she is! Katie’s reaction is more alarming. At the vet’s office they put her in a muzzle and that scares her and me! So I do the nail cutting. She growls and sort of bares her teeth. As you can imagine, we have a strong discussion about that! But we usually get it done. Katie is sure I was trying to cut off her leg. “Mom, that really, really hurt!” Hummmm I doubt that!

Jackie: as for the name of that plant....John renames all plants and flowers. He calls them everything
    From “Frank, the big tree by the garage” to “yellow yardies” that are a variety of dandelion. He lets me know what their names are and we follow his lead on that.

Lin: I am giggling at the teapot. I think my grandmother had something similar. Of course we were never to use these things. They were to look at only. I got into a lot of trouble playing with her fancy tea pot having a tea party with my dolls and stuffed animals.

Anne: Jilly will be fine getting her nails clipped but she will not forgive you for taking her to the vet’s. It takes Katie at least 1/2 a day to recover from a vet visit. And he is very nice to her! Doggies have long memories.
    Patsy☘️
  • Annsie35
    edited June 2021
    I have to report that Jilly was a very good girl apart from looking a bit startled when a student helper carried her into the vets and away from mom and Michael. She's been before for nail clips but this time the vet had to do the deed rather than kennel staff because they were awfully thick and curling inwards. Something ele to thank the pandemic closures for. I have clippers but impossible for even big burly Michael to cut. She's bouncing around like a rubber ball now and I'm $34 lighter.

We had cold cuts, my potato salad and a garden salad for lunch followed by homemade banana and peach milk shakes and then Mike cut the grass for me.
    A very good day all told.

I think I know that plant JACKIE. but no idea what it is called. A little late in the year for wood anemones.
    I remember celandines being the first wild flower of the new year and we used to pick them for British mothers day in March, long before expensive gifts took over. I have a very small little pot once used for my then small boys bunches.

Weigh in day tomorrow, but then tomorrow never comes.
    Anne
  • Sandydur
    Jackie, I was going to post both of those so great minds think alike. lol
  • Sandydur
    Happy Saturday! :) Another early morning because I have to be at Lisa's by 10:15 so she can get her hair done. Will have early dinner and early indoor movie night since I won't see them until next Friday after my mini vacation.
    Have a great day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Happy Saturday all…

Been going at warp speed for a few days with dr appts and commitments for both Jean and me.

Last night was a school musical for Andrew and Melanie – The 1st in over a year and it was under very strict Covid rules (masks, distancing, restricted tickets, tracking etc.). You didn’t even know where you’d be sitting until you picked a randomly numbered envelope. Sadly tickets / attendance was so restricted, only my daughter and my ex could attend last night. I felt bad for Jean…even if we did joke about being on a date with the ex (actually that hasn’t happened in 25 yrs).

This was the last time the 2 kids would be together as Andrew moves onto a new school. Melanie auditioned for the part with Andrew. They were marvelous – as was the whole show. (photo)

s7daqztdbz2k.jpg

Today includes cleaning and present shopping etc. Tomorrow we have a high school graduation party for a friend’s daughter and birthday party later for my sister who turned 73. Monday Jean has dr appt and plans to take friend to an appt. and I believe I have a dentist appt. And so it goes…

These social plans are making my normal fasting schedule difficult. Argh. LOL.

Anne – Good luck with the weigh-in! It can all be such a challenge. Jean has been extra good lately because of her scheduled doctors appt on Monday. I think we all do that. I am at my best 3 days before I know the doctor will weigh me. LOL.

Patsy – I may have to adopt John’s re-naming of plants / flowers. Heaven knows I forget a name or two.

Jackie – I only know that I am glad I don’t have to clip the nails of a dog and pretty sure things would turn out well if I tried to do it to Sabrina. LOL Love the pics of the moors

Lin – Loved catching up on the tea pots. Nice pics! I feel your pain on the cell phone service. I am pretty sure Spectrum is playing around with our WiFi speed. Recently there has been a lot of the “spinning” before connection – especially with YouTube videos. Weather is pretty good here. WE had a small amount of rain last night, but now the sun is out and we should hit low 80’s.

Sandy – Love the “dramatic” dog video. Animals can be so hilarious and human-like. Hope the laundry, swimming and “good Samaritan” task went well. Is that you I hear singing in your best Gloria Gaynor voice. LOL

Time to get my butt in gear and head out within 30 minutes.

Hi to everyone else! – Have a great weekend. Bob

• linder4866
    Hello!

My Internet and cable TV service are back. I learned a lot yesterday. Primarily I found out my ‘high speed’ cellular service will not enable me to bank, shop, watch movies, load Facebook, listen to music. Really I could retrieve email, send texts, make phone calls and every once in a while I could get an app to load but I was lucky to post anything at all here. I was able to do a bit on Facebook but I wasted a lot of time trying to utilize all these lovely apps! I wonder what happens when I have used my high speed allotment and reach the throttle back point? I think it is probably just a phone at that point.

I have a mountain of DVDs so I had lots of choices.

The rain we received yesterday could hardly be called rain, some drops but it didn’t wet the deck. It was a bit cooler. Now for another week of higher temperatures and one chance of rain again. Gosh I am so glad a purchased a new hose for watering my plants. The old arrangement leaked quite a bit so I felt much water was wasted. No leaks now. Yippee!

My favorite Saturday morning Facebook Live is cancelled this week. I am so sad as the husband of the lady who hosts this program passed away this week. So sorry for her and all the friends and family members.

It will be a day of cards again. Made some progress yesterday as I finished coloring all the stencils. Whoopee.

Oops, someone at the door, back later.

Lin
  • pinkperil
    edited June 2021
    A gorgeous day so after an early morning walk on the moors before it got too hot I’ve been trying to sort out items that have been left about the house in places of easy reach while the builders remain. I’ve finally put my winter bobble hats away as well as warmer fleece jackets. I couldn’t find my hair dryer this morning and was tempted to send a text to Dave asking where he had placed it because my bedroom has been turned upside down while the loo conversion continues. Finally discovered it under a cardigan on a chair! 😤

Patsy, The first groomer that attempted to cut George’s hair used a muzzle but that terrified him even more so I was over the moon when Debbie Woof Woof, his wonderfully patient groomer agreed to take him on with gentle hands. He does occasionally curl his lip at her but in the 7 years she’s been visiting he’s never bitten her. Me yes but not Debbie!

Anne, my memory is getting closer to the name of that plant so I expect to wake in the middle of the night when it comes to me. Our walks certainly help George keep his nails short and tidy but Betty’s are incredibly thick after her first 4 years in a crate or run so when she jumps up for attention I move quickly to avoid bruises. Yesterday she tried to jump up at little Ottilie who isn’t much taller than her when standing and I was amazed she didn’t knock her over! Ottilie thought it great fun!

Lin, I hope your internet woes soon depart. That teapot is ghastly but definitely something my aged aunts and uncles would have displayed in a cabinet. I hated tea when I was young so it was always a nightmare to be taken to visit because I wasn’t allowed to leave the table until I had drunk at least one cup!

Busy day for you Sandy but enjoy the movie tonight.

I’m sitting in the shade of the patio umbrella looking at the awful mess created with a digger next door! They have been creeping about when they become aware I’m pottering outside and that makes me smile. When my neighbour Louise came round to ensure I was alright after the tantrum I told her how liberated I feel because he had always been an intimidating presence in the past staring in my direction but I no longer feel afraid of him and who knows, one day they might erect that fence!

My washing out on the line must be dry so I’ll unpeg, take it in and make myself a cup of tea.

Have a safe and healthy weekend everyone. 🥰
    Jackie

PS. Dave and Joe poured a floor leveller just inside the door from my garden room then built a bridge for me and the furries to walk over. Brady of course immediately investigated underneath but thankfully they had placed a plank across the bottom so he couldn’t walk in sticky substance. George and Betty love it!
    3il6ajqe6e7u.jpeg
  • linder4866
    edited June 2021
    Hello!

My Internet and cable TV service are back. I learned a lot yesterday. Primarily I found out my ‘high speed’ cellular service will not enable me to bank, shop, watch movies, load Facebook, listen to music. Really I could retrieve email, send texts, make phone calls and every once in a while I could get an app to load but I was lucky to post anything at all here. I was able to do a bit on Facebook but I wasted a lot of time trying to utilize all these lovely apps! I wonder what happens when I have used my high speed allotment and reach the throttle back point? I think it is probably just a phone at that point.

I have a mountain of DVDs so I had lots of choices.

The rain we received yesterday could hardly be called rain, some drops but it didn’t wet the deck. It was a bit cooler. Now for another week of higher temperatures and one chance of rain again. Gosh I am so glad a purchased a new hose for watering my plants. The old arrangement leaked quite a bit so I felt much water was wasted. No leaks now. Yippee!

My favorite Saturday morning Facebook Live is cancelled this week. I am so sad as the husband of the lady who hosts this program passed away this week. So sorry for her and all the friends and family members.

It will be a day of cards again. Made some progress yesterday as I finished coloring all the stencils. Whoopee.

Oops, someone at the door, back later.

Back to say I hope everyone has a good day.

Jackie, I have no idea what those flowers might be. I hope you figure it out. Do you have a horticultural specialist? Someone you can forward a picture to or would that be ill-advised since these are growing wild? I also wonder about your neighbor putting in a fence…..will they use the actual property line? Or just plop I’m the fence where it suits them?

Anne, glad Jilly is all trimmed up now. I grind my teeth when I think of dogs getting their nails trimmed as I am convinced it is much to easy to trim into areas that have nerves and blood supply. Heck, I even trim too deeply on my own toe nails!

Sandy, on the run. 🏃🏼‍♀️🤸🏼‍♀️🏃🏼‍♀️

Patsy, lovely story about the teapot. My grandmother had fancy teacups and I stared at them adoringly as they stayed lined up (and out of reach) in the cupboard. We all used everyday cups. The type that are not treasures. 🤣😂🤣. Good for you on the nail trimming. Katie is lucky you will do that for her. I love the John naming system as well.

Must zip along. Be safe and be well.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

95c170ogvs13.jpeg
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Beautiful sunny am. But chilly to be sure. Katie and I were on the deck doing am exercises but honestly, it got so chilly even with a sweater, I was driven inside to finish up in the dungeon on my ballet bar. I feel so decrepit, I wonder sometimes if I am doing the right exercises.

We have been blessed with showers once or twice a day. I wish we could send you some rain dear ones. I am really worried about our water situation. I read Hoover dam was almost devoid of water...WHAT? Yet also is news of a new ocean and so much loss of glacier ice. Huh?

Finally our daughter, Andrea, has had her second shot. That is such a relief. She had Covid and still has some symptoms that don’t seem to be going away. But she is our wild child. She does everything at her own pace and with great bluster. Our son had to stop work on his boat to work on another Hollywood production. He is plowing through it as quickly as possible. He also is in great need to step up his fitness exercises. All the work sitting in front of the computer is bad for his health. Eyes! Weight and blood pressure!

I groom Katie and that includes nail trimming and also ears. I am so lucky that I can just keep going even if she is fussing and threatening. I just ignore all that noice or Bull Roar, as my grams would have called it. I am often singing along to Dr. Hook or the Three Dog Night. Katie likes 70s and 80s rock. So do I! Makes the grooming session go faster. 🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶
    Patsy☘️
  • pinkperil
    Trying to keep George and Betty away from the building work has been impossible so now each time they slip through a door to check what’s going on one of us sings “Who let the dogs out… who, who, who”. It relieves the tension!
    Many shrubs and perennial plants in my garden are named after whoever gifted them and since more than a few of those friends have passed away it’s a lovely way to remember them. There’s Sue’s rose, Mollie’s bird tree, Asta’s exochorda and even Anne’s echeveria plus a few more!

Another google search and I have discovered the plant growing on the footpath to the moors and no wonder I recognise it because it’s a cranesbill and my garden is covered in geraniums.
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/92274/Geranium-x-cantabrigiense-Biokovo/Details
    I shall take a gardening tool to dig some root up in the next few weeks then will have to give it a name other than Biokovo which sounds too similar to what we’ve all been putting up with in the past year!

There has been a lot of information online recently about what they call long Covid and it seems Patsy your daughter is a victim to it. Also much written about the way the variants alter and come back at us. Our infection rates are doubling almost daily so our level of lockdown might continue into July even if most sufferers are under 40. It seems It’s not going away just yet.

Lin, my neighbours are still on my mind as I consider perhaps contacting a solicitor for advice because what they did is deemed in law as criminal damage! I certainly don’t want another confrontation but neither do I want more worry if a new fence is placed on my land. If I make it a legal issue I will have to insist they communicate with my solicitor, not me. Do I need more stress?? 😏

Time to close the greenhouse door and Windows and check the hens are safely tucked up.
    Jackie
  • Annsie35
    cranesbill! That makes sense JACKIE.
    Well we had a bit of a crisis now past. Mark showed up on my doorstep. Turns out he and Mary Jo were out gardening when Derek and Bev left the house slamming the door behind them. Locked out Mark wanted to borrow my mobile to try and contact them because they could have been on their way to a friends cottage in cottage country. The key I have is obsolete since they changed their front door. Problem, Derek doesn't always answer his phone. Ironic borrowing mine because they stress to me how I must carry the mobile everywhere with me in case of emergencies, lol.
    Alls well, Marks just brought my mobile back having managed to contact Bev instead and is having a new key made for me. I did offer to make supper if they couldnt contact him and a bed for the night.
    Never a dull moment here either!
    Anne