Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,092 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon. We did have rain overnight. That was wonderful and I didn’t have to water my plants today. So happy!

And online church was back today. Excellent.

I am addressing cards now but need to take a break to make sure I watch Endeavor tonight. I cannot believe it is almost over. I have watched Morse several times and watched Lewis of course and Endeavor (although this is my least favorite part of the story—the plot hasn’t engaged me).

A friend called this afternoon and we talked for quite a long time. We got caught up on everything!

We have no sheep in the metro so I have no stories (thankfully).

Be well everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

8uk887htsflk.jpeg

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,043 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday! :) I finally slept in my own bed last night and thought I would sleep to noon but woke at 8:00. It is good to be home although I already miss the pups. I may be going back to help my son this week until Lisa returns with the kiddos so he can work without interruption. He will let me know how it goes today since he if off because of Juneteenth and it is a federal holiday. He did send a text with a picture this morning, Ewok got a rabbit and sent him to rabbit heaven. It was not a picture I wanted to see but I am grateful it didn't happen on my watch.
    I am doing some laundry and plan on going to the pool this afternoon to just relax. Tomorrow morning I am going for blood work for the cardiologist appointment I have next week. I am going to call the back doctor as well and ask about the MRI and shots because I don't think therapy is helping. It is worse at night when I am in bed and it is hard to find a comfortable position.
    It seems we are all getting along with our lives without too much turmoil and trauma. If only we could hear from out Patsy I think we could all stop worrying.
    I also got down to my goal weight while dog sitting because I did so much walking around the yard and up and down stairs. Now I hope to keep it off until weigh in on Friday or Saturday.
    I am still missing Babe and probably always will but I am doing much better and keeping busy.

Have a good day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • virruth
    virruth Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Sandy, good for hitting goal weight! Its a reminder that moving more is key. For my aches and pains too. We did the hot tub all day yesterday and last night I didnt even need a Tylenol, which I took the last couple of nights for my back. And, of course, you still miss Babe and always will. I still miss my youngest daughter who passed away 20 years ago. Sorry for your loss.
    Joy
  • Loveburg87
    Loveburg87 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Perfect summer day here. Washing and ironing earlier but Jill and I got into the garden this afternoon and I weeded a bit and planted a few spuds that were sprouting. Other than that apart from sitting in the garden chair, not much going on. Mary Jo says gardening is good for the soul, but not so much for the knees say I.
    ANNE
  • jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,694 Member
    Options
    Hello Sneakers. Late and time for bed but checking in first. A busy day that started with a drive to town to collect some cash from a bank dispensary, then on to the moors for a doggy walk. Still no rain and the ground is bone dry so a worry if we do one day receive a heavy downpour. Barney duly arrived and went to work on the hedge work while I drove Betty to her vet appointment for mail clipping. The vet nurse was very calm with her but still managed to cause a bleed on both back feet so a blood everywhere as she walked about. The only way to keep her still was to offer liver treats! When we got home Barney had finished so we had a coffee on the deck while I sorted out a payment which he kindly reduced by £100 because he said it hadn’t taken as long as anticipated. My afternoon was spent weeding and pruning in the wild bottom although I did stop for a cup of tea and watched an episode of Escape to the Country that Anne would enjoy because they viewed properties in North and East Yorkshire.
    Batteries ordered for my weigh scales arrived a couple of days ago so I’m all set to get back to regular checks.
    The forecast is for heavy rain in the night but I’m sceptical after so many broken promises!
    George is asking to go out so I’ll let both go then off to bed.
    Jackie 🥰
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello. Another busy day and I just remembered I started a load of laundry hours ago and never put it in the dryer!

I got detoured on trying to get my old paper cutter working better. No replacement blade for sale, and cleaning it didn’t help. I have some cards started and will use a die to cut the size I need and sideline the paper cutter for right now.

No rain expected this week so I may have to water tomorrow evening. Mid-80’s is drying out these containers fairly quickly.

Busy day for many of us. Does that mean we are productive?

Be happy and safe.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

r2l8mt3el8i0.jpeg
  • Loveburg87
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Morning everyone. Well after my productive day doing some gardening and planting the two Ms showed up with a new dehumidifier for the basement. The one I bought 30 years ago is still going strong but they didn’t want me running up and down stairs and the new one doesn’t need to be emptied because the water drains straight into the sink.

Mark was in a lot of pain from his back injury which seems to be with him for life. The conversation turned to my future and Mary Jo actually suggested I swop homes with Derek and Bev who live in a rental high rise. No thanks because my problems won’t lessen as I age and I’d still have to cook etc. So back to my preference, the seemingly very nice senior home where Jilly would be welcome. They are going to book us a tour whilst Mike is away. I know Mike isn’t keen on the idea so I’d like to view without his negative comments. Then they said MJ was retiring soon and they are keen on joining her cousin and husband in buying a winter home in Florida becoming Canadian snow birds. I can’t say I blame them but it means I’d lose half of my support for five winter months. So I guess a small apartment in the senior place with most things done for you and I must admit their menu looks delicious. One has to pay for this luxury of course but provided I don’t live to record breaking years I should be okay and if not I “haven’t to worry” about money. Or lack of.

So change is in the wind. It will be funny having no more delicious Christmas Day meals over at their home but I’m sure I can adapt to singing jingle bells with a group of equally croaky elders.

Will let you know how all this progresses. Living as now with two empty houses on either side of me and old friends either in homes or “the other place” or living with 90 other folks. Oh by the way the S home does have a super craft room. Maybe I can indulge in my old love of painting less than great masterpieces again if Jilly the Bean let’s me.

Now, what can I start getting rid of!!!! One can take one’s own furniture and dog bed but not a whole household.
    ANNE.
  • Sandydur
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! :) Went for blood work this morning for my cardiologist appointment next week. I have therapy at 1:00 and will then go to Rob's to help with the pups so he can get some work done and go to his meeting tonight. I will also go tomorrow and Friday and Lisa should be home by Sunday so they are on their own. lol I have another week of therapy but I called to see if I can get an MRI and possibly shots to help with the pain. I am driving to Ohio on July 1st through the 4th or 5th to visit my son and his finance and to see their house. Then on course the reunion on the 15th. Much too busy but at least it keeps me moving.

Anne, I love the idea of a small apartment in a senior place especially if you can bring Jilly. It would be so convenient for you and you are so likeable you would make many new friends. Just make sure you can stay in touch with us, because that would be a deal breaker. lol I wouldn't mind living in a place like that myself but maybe not quite yet. We will see in the future. If Mark and MJ have a winter home in Florida, you could always go visit with them, even in a retirement home.

Lin, not sure any of us except maybe Jackie are as busy as you. I loved being home alone yesterday and just relaxing, my kind of day. Busy days are productive days, so that is a good thing.

Joy, I am so sorry about your daughter, please accept my sympathies. I think losing a child is the worst kind of pain one can experience. Of course we never forget our decease family and friends there is always some reminder of them. Mine are songs and certain movies.

Jackie, you might be busier than Lin, you are always on the go or in your garden. Good for you.

Hello to Barbie and all the other sneakers. Have a wonderful day and keep smiling.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacAth3
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Finally, we had some rain in the early hours but not as much as predicted. I’ve noticed my roses in particular, are looking gorgeous now they’ve had a drink! My weather App showed thunder storms all morning so when I walked George and Betty round the village I wore a plastic rain jacket but it wasn’t needed and it’s so humid I sweltered in it. Sheila and I went to the store to collect a plastic garden chair each. They are made in Italy so good quality. We had agreed on cushions I would buy online but when I tried to order them, a page popped up asking for my credit card password when there is no such thing. I guessed the website had been hacked so left and began another search. I found a nice one on a website in Poland, phoned Sheila to describe it, then noticed postage would cost a small fortune! Back to the search and finally found a pretty one with a pattern of sprigs of lavender and with Sheila’s ok, ordered one each. That took most of my afternoon and I was only able to put a few pea sticks in the ground to support plants before rain finally appeared so time for a cup of tea!
    Good news is I finally received a letter with the result of my CT scan that showed no change in whatever was found in the first scan so they will continue to monitor me but only annually now.

Anne, I feel for you facing a move. If you can take your beautiful furniture with you and maintain your independence, still be able to cook your delicious dishes when you want as Buzz did, and have access to a garden space to potter in with Jilly, that might be worth the upheaval. Am I asking too much for you?

Sandy, you are definitely just as busy as me these days! Keeping moving is so important even if it means a few aches and pains!

I recognise that teapot Lin and am sure it’s a 1940/1950’s design. They often appear at auctions now as that generation passes away and family don’t want them! I might be busy but not always productive!

Almost time for bed. Hopefully more rain tomorrow, then I will finally plant more pea plants. ( Never thought I’d be thinking that!)
    Jackie 🥰
  • linder4866
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Hello. It will soon be time to tune in for the regular Tuesday night Live program. Must rush!

It has been a hot sunny day and apparently we have little chance of rain until late in the week. I just got in after watering my plants. They were quite thirsty. Poor dears.

I made a trip to the library this morning as well as a trip to drop off a few things at Goodwill.

I got all of the paper recut for my card fronts and hope to move on to a second cut tomorrow and perhaps some die cut words as well.

Getting rid of things, for me, is an uneven task. Some days, watch out, I am going to scoop things wholesale into containers and other days I struggle through each individual item, even sorting piles of things before determining what is really out the door. Today was a slow approach which was irritating me as little was accomplished. 👀

Anne, my what a surprise! Well, definitely take a look at what they have to offer. It is interesting that I spoke to a friend yesterday who totally uprooted her life and in the process got rid of most everything. She just kept some of her furniture, clothing and few kitchen utensils and pots and pans. Everything else was pitched. She told me she kept one photo from the 1950’s out of a a stack of photos. I am not sure how she did that. She is in a very small house that her niece owns and maintains. She has nothing in her basement, little in the kitchen and even now sorts out clothes and other items to take to the thrift shop. I cannot fathom it!

Sandy , always something in the works. I hope you get some help with your back before you take your long drive.

Jackie, ordering things takes a while and I find I need to examine every word because I have ended up with not so great deliveries!

Off I go. Must tune in now!

Lin 🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

Lovely assortment of teapots
    4452escpzrr9.jpeg

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,927 Member
    Options
    :) Hi from my unbusy household. Tomorrow Jake has an appointment with the doctor who did his colonoscopy. They found something and want to talk to him about it. Usually he goes to the doctor alone but this time he asked me to go with him.

<3 Barbie
  • Loveburg87
    Options
    I’m chucking iced carrot cake and macaroons out. Why? Because yesterday I thought I was a goner with severe stomach upset, and dizzy spells which had me clinging to the kitchen table to prevent falling. This could be a wheat allergy or at worst celiac. Move over LIN. Whatever, it seems I am doomed to a future of no bought baked goods and a medieval diet (just been reading what the experts think Vikings ate) of fruit, veggies and “healthy” meat. Seeing that I rarely eat meat apart from fish and gnawing on the odd chicken leg this could be somewhat restricting. Terrible morning which had the Ms rushing over and telling me off for eating gluten free rye bread. Hey I tried! Anyway, no rush apparently in seeing me rehoused with a future of watching all the oldies digging into their iced donuts etc. at Senior dinner time.

The fridge light has died. No problem as there’s not much to see in it anyway after a purge. Just Jill’s chicken (and now mine as well) in the freezer section. During the visit of the Ms Jilly was accused of having too many treats and developing a waddle when viewed from the back. We were quite happy to settle on the sofa, us 2 aging girls, when the Ms departed, and watch Jeopardy once on our own.

Today, I’m off into the garden to gather my white roses whilst I may! They are the ones that joined us through the fence and the branch is laden with medium sized roses!

So life isn’t all that bad, now I’ve recovered.

Good Morning dear Sneakers. May your life be full of roses as well (if not wine in my case).

ANNSIE.
  • Sandydur
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Happy Wednesday!😆 Back dog sitting for the day so Rob can work uninterrupted. Both dogs are napping and I might do the same. I just can’t catch up on sleep and tired all the time. Hopefully this weekend I can make up for lost sleep.
    I am scheduled for an MRI on Tuesday and have one more week of therapy unless the doctor thinks I need more. I prefer the shots so I hope they help.

Anne, what a scary experience, I am glad you are ok today. Might be another reason to move to senior living but make sure they have food you can eat. There is always something as we age isn’t there?

Barbie, praying all is okay with Jake, could just be some benign polyps which are common in colonoscopies. Please keep us informed.

Lin, I too hope I get some relief before driving six hours. I thought about flying but they want over $300 for an hour and a half flight. I know gas is expensive but not $300 for round trip.

Jackie, good news on the cat scan but can you refresh my memory on where you had the cat scan?

Have a wonderful day, I am getting very sleepy.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacAth3
    edited June 2023
    Options
    It is muggy and threatening today but after a slow start I took George and Betty for a long stroll across the moors then, on the way home, stopped for local milk, yogurt and bread. A few bits of housework achieved before driving to a general store to buy a new dustbin but strangely, there seems to be a shortage and I couldn’t buy one! Did get a new washing up bowl and after sneaking into their clothing department, bought a pretty half price linen blouse, green with white daisies and a teal cotton top that will be perfect for doggy walks when it gets cooler. We’ve just passed our Summer Solstice at 3.53pm which is a bit depressing for obvious reasons!
    I phoned Sheila to discuss her visiting me for coffee but she had another migraine sowe are leaving any arrangements until she feels better.

Barbie, I do hope Jake’s doctor appointment goes alright. These visits are always worrying.

Anne, what a horrible experience and I hope you can work out exactly what it was and avoid. Escape to theCountry this afternoon was an English woman returning from Canada after 25 years looking to move to Devon. She hadn’t lost her accent at all and mentioned the properties she was viewing for £400,000 would cost over a million in Canada!

Sandy, you just popped in ahead of me. CT scans have been on my lungs. Something showing up but not cancer at the moment. I’m told to stop smoking but I’ve not done that since I was 35!

Lin, I’m finally learning to check reviews on every company I consider buying from. Ordered new insoles today and found another Chinese company with awful reviews so quickly moved on. We have Trustpilot, do you?

I paused vacuuming to empty the Shark of a wadge of Betty’s fur but will get back to tidying because it’s nearly 6pm and cooler.
    Happy Wednesday.
    Jackie🥰
  • virruth
    virruth Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Just want to say hello to all. I have been busy with an unexpected surprise. My granddaughter came to spend a long weekend with us. Sarah is the one who toured UK…had a fab vacation…but got Covid after her return to California. So she missed our family gathering in May. We had so much fun. Ate way too much, laughed til our sides ached, and sat in the hot tub all the days. Our next get together will be in August and she didn't want to wait until then to see Granny and Aunties. Today I shall be doing laundry and cleaning up a bit.
    Barbie, I tool have fingers crossed for you.
    Anne, its too bad about the carrot cake and hope your tummy is fine now.
    Lin, my kids always warn me to be careful about where I buy online. Its a bother, but necessary I guess.
    Jackie, good luck to you.
    Sandy, what a dear you are, taking care of everyone and their dogs!! Hope your drive goes well.
    Well, we have more company coming, then in July we are driving to Northern CA to spend a few days with friends.
    So, if my posts are spotty, its cuz I am having so much fun. Oh, by the way, my back pain went away. I believe it was due to being vigilant about my exercises and sitting in Jacuzzi. No Tylenol either. So will make sure I do those PT exercises 😍
    Joy
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :) Jake's visit to the doctor went went well. All the biopsies were negative but they want him to have another colonoscopy in two years just to be safe.

<3 Barbie
  • linder4866
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Good evening. I am glad to hear there was some good news in the Sneakers today. And so glad that you have recovered Anne. What a scare. I hope you find whatever caused such a severe reaction. I hope it never happens again!

Good news Barbie! 👍🏻👍🏻

Jackie, I have never run across Trustpilot. I am not sure it is available here. Is it a review site? I don’t often get on a fake site but it is the little things that can get by me like shipping time, restock fees, or return postage. I swear it is in the fine print! Did you see Amazon is in trouble for making it difficult for customers who purchased Amazon Prime to find a way out to cancel? Heck, I thought that was just the ordinary way companies do business now.

Joy, you are having a lovely summer. Lots of visiting and fun!

Sandy, yes, that is a big price differential between driving and flying but driving is tiring and I assume no one is driving there with you? Right? Do what is best for you.

I made a trip to the post office to mail several special cards including a sympathy card. Lots of layers on that one. Made it through without extra postage.

Then drove out to Trader Joe’s for a few things. Unfortunately they were quite busy and they hadn’t gotten the shelves stocked so I came home with a partially filled grocery bag. I will return!

I got another layer cut for the cards I am working on. Taking a break and will start on the next pieces tomorrow.

I ran across my Zentangle books today as well as all my stamps and dies for Chinese New Year. Since my teacher passed away, no one has taken on planning the annual celebration. So, looking at these seriously and thinking of divesting myself of most of them. I found all the decorations I made for the 2019 celebration and threw out most of that stuff but kept the miniature red paper lanterns and the table top decorations.

I also found some backgrounds I made quite a while ago. I am considering using some of them for cards later this year.

Well, wishing everyone all the best. I am going for some tea and will put my feet up.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

66mq1rtwjpls.jpeg

• barbiecat
    Options
    :)Lin, Your creativity and hard work on your cards amazes me. You do awesome work and make so many people's lives happier when they receive the cards.

:)Sandy, There are lots of good reasons to drive to your destination besides thrift. Airports can be annoying in so many ways but you get to have personal freedom when driving and the chance to watch the world go by.

:)Joy, my mother had a hot tub with a Jacuzzi that her doctor recommended and it helped her back for years.

:)Jackie, We order a lot of things online but have stuck with familiar sites. George and Betty probably think they are the luckiest dogs in the world with all the fun places they go with you.

:)Anne, what terrible symptoms. Glad you are better. The downside of having loving family members to help you is that they also feel free to give lots of advice. We eat a lot of chicken and rarely eat any baked goods.

:) I'm working on a new pattern for a knitted blanket for Project Linus. I started it a few days ago but miscalculated and had to pull it out and start over again. It's a fun pattern to knit and with no deadline to finish, I can relax and enjoy the project.

:) It was more like summer today (68 degrees and not raining) so I had a nice hour outside pulling weeds.

:'( My zucchini seeds were duds and none are sprouting so no zucchini this year. The pumpkins, tomatoes, cucumbers, sunflowers, and marigolds seem to be growing well so there will some harvest.

<3 Barbie
  • jacAth3
    Options
    It was a beautiful morning so I was out with George and Betty just after 7am. Only one other dog walker about that I see most days now. He lives in a village a couple of miles away and has a lovely mix of 3 dogs, a Jack Russell, a Collie and what could be a small poodle. We go in different directions because he walks a lot further. I took a different path back to the car park when George did a disappearing act! When I paused to wait for them to catch up, dear Betty came running round a corner, ears flapping but no George so I retraced my steps to discover he had gone. Calling and blowing the whistle didn’t bring him to heel so I walked on to the car park and sat on a bench to wait because he is intelligent enough to retrace his steps. Ten minutes later I could see him following his scent back over the top of the moor and when I called he ran down to us…. Thank goodness because I was concerned he might have collapsed for some reason. I took them home then went straight back out to drive to the supermarket because as I had waited for George to appear, I ran a mental shopping list through my head and realised I needed to stock up for the weekend.

The table and 2 chairs ordered in the week have arrived and I’ve connected the table top with its legs so will now unpack the chairs. They have come from the Netherlands and the diagrams have lots of letters, numbers and arrows to make sense of so I will take my time!

That’s great news about Jake Barbie.. Deep breaths and move on! You have a lovely selection of veggies you are growing so hopefully won’t miss the zucchini.

I will be planting my pea seedlings this afternoon and potting on a couple of tomato plants. Then I might cut the grass with the mower on a high blade because just one night of rain has it looking like a jungle.

Pretty willow pattern Lin. I’m glad you aren’t throwing everything out. The lanterns sound delightful. Yes, Trustpilot is the Go To review site and most decent businesses register to build up their positive stars. Even very small local businesses are on there and I do my best to support them when I can.

Hello to everyone I missed. Those chairs are calling me. No news from Sheila but she did say she would phone me so I’m assuming she is still suffering a migraine because it is humid with the heat.

Jackie 🥰
  • Loveburg87
    Options
    What a lovely lot of posts to read today. I so enjoyed everyone.

I am beginning to suspect the Ms don’t want me to go into the senior apartment. For a start they haven't booked a viewing appointment yet, but even better, me and Jilly Bean are being sorted out in the nicest way. She is very intelligent and a quick learner so Mark has already taught her to sit and wait when they cross the road etc. Secondly, I seem to spend my life simmering chicken. Mary Jo was in the pet store and found a brand of cat food that Hobbes, the giant puss loves. She brought over a doggy version can for Jilly to try last night. Opened it looks very appetizing, flaky white chicken in gravy. Jilly mopped it up just like Hobbes. That means instead of cooking on the stove I put some of her defrosted chicken breast in the slow cooker for ME! Full of onion and spices and all the things we love but little dogs can’t eat. That means less likelihood of me burning the old house down of course with a crock pot. Not doing so much cooking means a bit more free time for me as well. Oh and I can buy the rather pricey cans at the local pet store. No pricier than fresh chicken and I’ll save on electricity!

Lastly, after thinking I was heading for a stroke yesterday but actually a food allergy, I’ve cleared out the fridge of all the bought baked goods. I now have a very empty fridge! but I’m feeling just like the old Anne, raring to go.

So glad everything worked out for everyone else as well yesterday.
    Lots of changes here but some things don’t change. The grocery delivery man showed up two hours earlier than asked as usual. Lol.

ANNE.k