Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,178 Member
    Options
    I don't have a collection of Toby jugs but I love them and my Grandmother had one when I was a kid that she always got out when I was there. It was used as the milk jug for cereal (which was oatmeal at her house) and it always delighted me!

Sandy, yes there is a problem with the sale. They are insisting I sign two additional provisions that were not in the signed offer. I thought long and hard about it and told them no, I would sign no additional provisions. They went silent and my broker told me if that was a breaking point for them that in his opinion a buyer will always find their way out of the purchase and the obvious place will be the inspection report (and I know radon was found). They've requested some non-standard water tests for example. That is the only place I can find as there were no financing or sale of a home, appraisal etc. contingencies. I think I'm personally am nervous about the title as there has never been one created for the acreage. My dad built that house on the parcel and I trust there are no mechanics/contractors liens from that construction which would not halt the sale but slow things up to get them cleared. I don't know why he didn't have an abstract made just to check on that....he was usually so attentive to every detail in everything.

I usually just buy furniture that is comfortable. I don't even care about colors matching any longer.

My cousin asked me the other day if I knew what happened to our Grandparents' bedroom set. Good grief, I barely remember it. So she sent me a picture of what that style looks like--Waterfall? I'm attaching one of the pictures she sent me.

Chewing on my combo breakfast/lunch. I had some micro-greens from my CSA box and was looking forward to them. OMG---they have a very STRONG bitter taste which I do not care for at all. I will start some of my own broccoli sprouts again TODAY.

4ryervt0esm1.jpg

Lin

• 6cookys
    6cookys Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Dear friends
    I hope you remember me, I have no internet at my house so I have to go to the library and that is where I am now. I am going to try and come once a week. Just wanted to let you know I am still around.

I have rejoined ww again. I am doing much better on it now, I am taking responsiblity for my eating. I started losing weight again and that makes me happy. I signed up and paid for 3 months in advance so that I would keep going.

Just wanted to wish everyone good things and I will try to get on the internet more. I am going to try and find one that has service to my house. So far the services are bad in my area. Hopefully things will improve.

Have a great day
    chris
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Hi, nice to see dear friends return. PHOEBE, baby your knee, puh-lease! Listen to SANDY and others who have been there, done that. ( I may succumb soon, too!)
    Henry Miller was an Industrial Designer who designed everything including fiberglass chairs, great clocks, and loads of things now considered retro something!
    I must run to Home Depot to find out why the wall vent filters for my A/C were made too small for the vent! A whole box to return, but they will ship replacements to my address at no charge. Perhaps they are made smaller than one requests, so I have some research to do.
    We had a beautiful Celebration of Life for dear Len, who was one of the dearest funniest guys we ever met. we were laughing and tearing at the same time as his grown kids all gave their views of this sweet man. Now, off to errands I keep putting off. Oh where has my energy disappeared? :s
    <3 Buzz
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    An unsettling morning. Got a call from the DR. Office and my cholesterol count is up. I now have to up my zocor to 40 ml! I am not happy about that. I haven't changed my diet much but it went up...well there has to be a lot of research and a change in something...not sure how or what yet. More on that later.

Sun came out and it is warm out. Really warm. I will do a couple of things inside then back out to the weeds. These are really not weeds but giant aggressive plants that have decided they have found a home. We will see who wins this battle. There is a wild foxglove right in middle of the drive way that is seriously 6 ft. Tall!

Anne: love the little Toby mugs. I have a weird doll collection. I have never bought a doll for me but I have dozens of them. All gifts. They are usually little ethnic handmade dolls of amazing character. My son buys them for me when he travels and John likes to find interesting dolls as little gifts. I love all of them. When I lived in Louisiana, my dad worked for an oil company and we loved to go shopping in New Orleans. I have a couple of masks and dolls that are scary wonderful.

I am going to find out about why and how this cholesterol count went up. Not a horrible amount but why?
    Patsy
  • oystereyes
    Options
    2j7ccmlq9ykf.jpg
    Handmade doll by a Leica film designer who worked with our son. She is a bit strange but she a sweet disposition!
  • Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Oh my PATSY, I think I'll stick to Toby jugs! and especially living alone apart from an ageing kitty to defend me! Anne
  • linder4866
    Options
    Haaaaaa, still giggling over that doll Patsy! I wish I had eyebrows as well-defined as that. Hugs.

Lin (and sorry about the cholesterol but I think that can move around quite a bit without an identifiable cause)
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I'd put that doll in an upstairs window looking down on everyone
  • OhDD65
    OhDD65 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I would hate to wake up to that doll starring at me....talk about nightmares LOL As for the furniture yep just like what my aunt and uncle had as I was growing up. And Toby jugs...I'll tell you a story about them. My English grandmother brought very few things to America when she came, but she did bring a large shelf of the medium sized Toby jugs. One identical to the one on the left of your page Anne. I looked at those my whole childhood and was always intrigued with them. Prior to a garage sale that my mother had of my grandmothers things I spotted one, which I still have as a reminder of my grandmother. I was moving to Canada so I really couldn't keep much of anything from home. Upon asking what ever happened to the rest of the Toby jugs I was told a friend of my mothers came to the sale and bought everyone of them up. That lady was quite a collector....knew what was of value and I suspect made many trips to Estate Sales. So dear Mrs White got them and likely her daughters enjoy them now as I suspect Mrs White is no longer around. When I moved into this house a yr ago there was an built in entertainment center with glass doors on it. Making my way thru that room I spotted a collection of about 10 Toby jugs...a few much larger than I had ever seen. Must of been the calling card for me to move into this house; Yes I am keeping my eyes open for Toby jugs at the Estate Sales I am looking at online. I have the perfect place for them now ! Come to think of it I am sounding just like my grandmother now.

Have a good evening ladies....

Diane
  • oystereyes
    Options
    Isn't she something? Her name is Esmeralda and she was designed as a prototype for a character in an animated film. They changed the storyline and sweet little Esmerelda lost her job! Most of my dolls are odd handmade dolls. My son travels a lot and he searches out native crafts people for interesting gifts. I have made a few dolls as well. I give them to friends that collect toys, masks or dolls. Wouldn't you know I still play with dolls?
    Patsy
  • Jacean245
    Options
    PHOEBE, that's one great idea putting Esmeralda in an upstairs window looking down. Should keep ALL undesirables away! I'm so glad I've found another Toby jug admirer in DIANE! They are very hard to find in Canada, not the modern ones, the original antiques. I believe the one you mentioned cost me about $50 from an antique store a few years ago. Dick Turpin I found in York, UK and he wasn't cheap either so I'm hoping my kids will at least sell them to an antique store one day and not chuck them out! Anyway it's great fun trying to find them and gives focus to second hand shop hunting. Plus they are usually so colourful it adds warmth to a chilly grey winter day and especially if you are lucky enough to have a fireplace. Let me know when you find a treasure Diane.
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,122 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!! :) A little overcast today, not sure I will get to the pool. I am planning on getting a mani/pedi for the 60th anniversary party tomorrow and in the morning I will drive to my niece's to get my hair done. I lost 0.2 pounds this week, not much but at least a lose. I have to get on my bike more now that I don't have Robby, I don't want to get lazy just because it is summer. Without exercise it is so much harder to lose weight.

I have seen those Toby jugs but I doubt they are the expensive kind that you are referring too, mostly they are of sports figures. Esmeralda is quite scary and would make a great Halloween decoration. I really don't have a collection of anything unless you count beanie babies that I have stored in my garage. I doubt they will ever be worth anything but I can't bear to throw them out. lol

Have a great day, count your calories and do your exercise.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • oystereyes
    Options
    Hey there sneakers! Today is warm and sunny so I will be out in the dirt all day. I have been having strange reactions to the potting soil. It has a pleasant smell but it gives me a headache after awhile. However, one must be strong if one is to have flowers and a nice flower bed area. The bees and spiders and I are trying to not get in each other way. However a big black bumble bee is very territorial about some of the weeds I am pulling. Crazy insect thinks these belong to him/her!

I have used my limited callegraphy to make little plant blessing flags to hang on various bushes and trees. I love to see them wave in the breeze, hopefully sending out good thoughts. I had a lot of fun making them. I know...sounds like I am an old hippy riding around in a VW bus with flowers painted on the side! I am what I am!

I am doing research on my cholesterol issue and I am cutting out chicken and turkey. Plant protein and fish only now as protein. We'll see what that brings as well increased exercise. I am on the case!
    Patsy
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Wow, I actually do know what the toby mugs are and I have also seen the furniture in different people's homes, some relatives,
    some acquaintances. Also I have actually heard of Dick Turpin, I can't remember where but I have.

Anne - Lovely collection, so cute!
    Chris - So nice to hear from you again, good luck with WW. Check in when you can.
    Sandy - Congrats on winning bingo, extra money is always nice. I also called my daughter with some help
    with Candy Crush. She is in Quebec City on a work conference. She will call when she returns. She is taking lots
    of pictures of Quebec City on my Facebook.
    Phoebe- Take it easy and take care of that knee, its the only one you've got. ;)
    Patsy - That doll is really scary, I don't think I would like it in my house. Those eyes watching and such. :o
    Diane - Four year olds are fun too, you can do so much with them at that age.
    Lin - Good and prayers your way to sell that property. <3
    Buzz - Good to hear Mike is asking for help, the first step.
    Jackie - I too have been trying not to eat at night, still not succeeding. Even though I get a large
    glass of water and lemon to drink.

The last two days we were at Kathy's and enjoying Isaac. He is getting so big. He is starting to respond
    and coo now when you talk to him. He is so precious. Yes, Sandy we are lucky grandmas.

Today we had a meeting with our Financial advisor for help with Dave's pensions and what to do with it.
    We also had an apt. with a bank and two advisors that my nephew recommended. One more apt
    with another advisor our friend Paul uses. Then we can make a decision.

We are having our friend Tom for dinner tonight. He just got Magic Jack so we wanted to talk to him
    about it. Also buying a receiver so we can get TV up at the cottage again.

Here is a picture of Isaac. He is 14 lb 13 oz and 9 weeks old today. Not a great pic of me, no makeup.

h2bdlqw1rvg0.jpg
    m3hl4dxw1nza.jpg
  • Jacean245
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Lovely, wee, baby Isaac, SHIRLEY, and for the record, I think you look absolutely great without the makeup.
    Last word on Toby jugs, I try to only collect the Staffordshire originals from the 17th and 18th century. You can find Royal Doultons everywhere. Modern sports ones too SANDY, but not so the old original ones. These usually have the seated man holding his pipe and beer mug. Just saying in case someone spots one.......grab it! I believe they were called philpots originally, no idea why, but I know they decorated English pubs and cottages.
    PATSY! Are you pulling up that poor little buzzy bee's food source! I bet you are inside now having a nice cuppa and the bee is scratching his head wondering where his foxgloves have gone. I never eat red meat, just fish, eggs, and food protein and on the whole keep pretty well. Just the odd twinge when the weather changes, like today with humidity but a cold front with rain on the way. That will put a stop to all the splashing and fighting for bird bath rights. Since I moved the bird bath to under the apple tree it's been in constant use. Wonder why?
    ANNE
    Just found out that Toby jugs got their name from an 18th century song written by some clergyman featuring a chap who loved his beer and was called Toby Philpots. I live and learn!
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Shirley isace is so AdorableIs he already eating those Kits?

Pasty I am having no problems with the vegan way of eating I as a rule don.'t really like meat. I love the beans much better I don,t miss cookin meat at all. I still have some mor research to do on this plan. We'll do that when I get a computer with a larger screen. Will admit I missed cheese tho.
    Marie
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Quick Hi to everyone. Having workers fix our door around which we can see light from corridor, so must be available. Mike was interviewed today by newspaper concerning his memorable HonorFlight trip. We do hope all veterans from WW2 to Korean and possibly Vietnam now are aware of this fabulous group which takes them to Washington, DC for a day they will cherish! No charge! Look up Honor Flights.com to connect with your local group!
    <3 Buzz
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to go shopping in my closet pretty soon..for Some smaller pantsuit am down 14 pounds now
    <3 Marie
  • linder4866
    Options
    Good evening friends. Still no agreement on Inspection report. Maybe Monday.......

Meanwhile, Marie---congratulations on your wonderful result! Shopping in the closet is always wonderful when you get to wear things you've not been able to wear for a while! Congrats.

Buzz - glad Mike did that interview. Excellent. I hope all Vets get the opportunity to see the memorial(s).

Anne - well, my Grandmother was not using her Toby Jug properly then was she since they were known as drinking vessels for beer. My Grandfather would have enjoyed that use.

Shirley - gorgeous pictures! I think you look terrific without make-up. I'd like to look as good my friend!

Sandy - our weather was quite hot today. I hope you got some time at the pool and my gosh, you are just the best at winning money at bingo. Congrats!

Phoebe - are you still being good and taking it easy?

Patsy - I rather like thinking of you as a hippie! I was a flower power peace-nik back in the day although I didn't have a flower-decorated van, I did wear a peace sign on a woven belt on my jeans every day. Oh, and a head band for goodness sakes.

Time to try to get this to post. It has been a rather tough day for my Internet connection once agian.

I just purchased an Android tablet that connects via 3G and has limited data limits each month but I pay no fee for it, the tablet came with lifetime monthly allotment through T-Mobile. I'm saving that for days when I can get NO Internet service here at home either due to problems with my provider or no electric service. (I'll try to remember to keep it charged up.)

Hugs my friends.

Lin
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Good morning and happy weekend to everyone. A busy time with allotment, walking and visiting as well as doing my best to fit in a bit of French open tennis viewing but reading all posts and should be able to catch up this evening. Will keep an eye out for Staffordshire Toby mugs when digging through auction bits as the only collection I have is of Babbacombe pottery cat string holders as well as one of a dog and another panda. They are only from the 50's and 60's but already fake copies from China are flooding the market so I have to be very careful before buying. Why can't these fakers come up with their own ideas instead of copying others???

Sunshine here so a good tidy at the allotment and some planting of seedlings.... courgettes, red cabbage and sweetcorn today! Just got 10 minutes available to vacuum!!!

Jackie