Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    For any would be collectors, all but one of my little men are antiques but I only have two genuine Staffordshire originals and that's the two green ones in the tri hats. One to the left back and the 3rd one from it. Scarcity. That's what makes them so much fun to look for! JACKIES probably got the best chance, but I found mine in second hand stores here in Canada, tucked away among all the bric brac. If anyone finds the genuine article I'll be thrilled to bits. I don't think they were meant to be drunk out of LIN, purely decorative to hang from old oak beams or on old oak shelves. Toby Philpotts was a drunkard who inspired the old song "little brown jug" by a clergyman. I vaguely remember it! And I found this:

The Hearty Goodfellow

With pipe in one hand and jug in the other
    I drink to my neighbours and friends,
    My cares in a whiff of tobacco I'll smother
    For life you know shortly must end.

True I guess if you're having such a good time!
    Anyway happy hunting if anyone's interested, and let ME KNOW.
    Anne.
  • Jacean245
    Options
    Oh my goodness I've just realised we were taught the song "ha ha ha, hee, hee, hee, little brown jug how I love thee" in kindergarten! I bet those long ago teachers didn't realise it was a drinking song that inspired the manufacture of Toby jugs!
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,122 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday!! :) I have an appointment for my hair with my niece and the drive is about 45 minutes so I don't have much time. Tonight is my friends 60th wedding anniversary dinner party and I am happy to be part of their celebration. 60 years with the same man, can you imagine? Yes you can, I just wasn't that lucky and it is far to late for me to be married 60 years to anyone. I will admit I am a little envious of such great marriages, did I not fight hard enough? Congratulations to all who stuck with their man through thick and thin. <3

Looks like it will be a good pool day but I just don't have time today, hopefully tomorrow will be great and relaxing.

Have a wonderful day and if the sun is shining go out and get some vitamin D.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,178 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Good morning friends. I've made my trip to TJ, put away my provisions and I bought some lovely flowerss\ for myself and now have something to smile at each time I walk in my kitchen or do dishes etc. I'm off soon to a baby shower that is scheduled to last for *hours* and includes lunch etc. I love the girl who's being honored but don't do well at social get-togethers for that long. We'll see.

Anne - yes, we were taught the same "ha, ha, ha" version of the song and I'm not sure why other than it was easy to learn.

Sandy - I too get actually quite blue when I think of those who have stuck out their marriages lifelong. I only made it 25 years and from time to time I do think that if I'd tried more and prayed more perhaps it would have worked out. My mom was in very poor health but technically they had a 50th anniversary together. Who knows. It is what it is I guess. I hope you enjoy your day. I heard our weather forecast is for hot and sunny weather next week so maybe you'll get quite a number of pool days.

Jackie - I hope your day has been as productive as you described. Your are a force of nature---you get so much done.

Time to move along now. I have a plugged up ear and I'm not sure what I'll do about it but certainly it won't help me hear what's going on at the shower today.

Hugs.

Lin
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Taking it easy, so not much happening here. It makes a difference though.hope you're all having a wonderful weekend. Phoebe
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Phoebe, it's been very quite here too. Our neighber came over the other night and wanted to know if we wanted a a 2 year old cute little dogie. His wife is pregnant and she has become allergic to dogs. We had to turn him down for we are to old to go thru that again. As much as we love Sammy it's been nice to be by our self again. I hope he finds a nice home for it.
    I am certainly enjoying all the summer fruits. have not got any peaches yetpeaches yet but they are coming . Our blackberries are getting ripe so good.cherries are so good.

Alice will be out tomorrow

So I will sign off for tonight
    marie
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Well we did this crazy thing! We bought way too many bedding plants for our flower beds and deck pots. We were going around looking for any available blank spot to poke a snapdragon in or a marigold. Some of the deck pots look a bit "stuffed" but that's the story of my life. Feast or famine!

Tonight is pizza night. I make a very odd pizza with almost no cheese and no meat. There are a few olives and a few artichoke hearts to make John happy. He gets half the pizza, I get one piece. But it is a nice sized piece.. John gets the rest for lunch tomorrow.

This weekend is the Portland Rose Parade. It is an unbelievable mad house in portland. There are the coast guard boats all heading up River and it is a sight. There will also be the big tall ship docked at the maritime museum in Astoria. The Lady Liberty. Stunning!

I need some new CDs. My music is too old and familiar. Rock and roll and Classic as well as jazz. I am shopping Amazon tonight. Any suggestions? No Lawrence Welk!!!!!! Music to dust and do laundry while humming along!

Patsy
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Good morning and happy Sunday. Yet another busy day because having walked George with my friend who has a new puppy that just got her final vaccinations so can get out and about, I've spent an hour on the phone chatting to an ex-boss who wants me to help him with a book he's writing.... as if I have the time but have agreed to go and meet him in a couple of weeks! George has been brushed and tidied before the groomer arrives this afternoon and once he's settled in her truck I'll take my vacuum cleaner out to the car to blitz it because there seems to be half the moors, woodlands and dust in it!!

Marie ~ When my friend was looking for her puppy I used to look on websites and was horrified just how many people gave up their dog for any excuse and do wonder if they give the matter any thought when first adopting. Well done for staying firm about taking your neighbour's dog but let's hope they do the right thing and find a good home.

Anne ~ I'm on a new mission now to go with my bookcase search.... Toby jugs here I come but only originals!!

Sandy ~ Many relationships are more luck than judgment never mind staying power. We have to take what life throws at us sometimes so don't look back, just enjoy where you are today. <3

Patsy ~ I purchased lots of bedding plants on Friday that are still waiting to be planted into hanging baskets so you've given me the nudge I needed to get going! I love tall ships which every couple of years sail along the Cornish coast for a race. An amazing sight and a reminder of how much we lost when the steam engine was invented. One of our allotment plot holders is going to get herself a couple of Shire horses that will graze in the fields next to the site, something else I'd love to see back in the countryside pulling ploughs rather than the huge machinery! Perhaps I should have lived a century or more ago!! Mumford and Son, Adele, Coldplay, even Sam Smith.... all music to hum along to although I think the oldies are the best!

I'm standing in the kitchen where my laptop is charging and getting a crick in my neck so will get on with some potting.

Jackie
  • Jacean245
    Options
    GOOD MORNING SNEAKERS! Hi JACKIE, I've sent you an email Something else you could look out for which would look GORGEOUS in your cottage. Don't want to bore the rest of you long suffering folk with my particular hobbies! Sent you one too DIANE for the same reason, lol.
    SANDY and LIN, the past is the past, bury it. You made the right decision at that time. Sure, I LOVE to see couples who are still loving after 50 or 60 years, but would I go back to MY 25 years of marriage, no way. I fell for the wrong person for me, as he did, and as for me, I never met the right "one". You are what you are today because of past decisions, and from where I'm standing you are both remarkable ladies doing things you probably wouldn't have done with those particular partners in tow. Remember that lovely French song - no, no regrets, I've no regrets!
    Now, There's a song for you PATSY, but I'm ashamed to say, the French singers name escapes me in this senior moment. She died far too young.
    Well, soon I'll be getting a phone call from my late cousins husband in the UK. He phones every Sunday, bless him, and I get first hand information on why Hull City Tigers lost their latest match. That's the team he follows. He's an avid gardener and veggie grower JACKIE at 84 years. Remarkable really, still living in the same house on his own. He has good neighbours though.
    Happy Sunday everyone, ANNE.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,178 Member
    Options
    Patsy: Nina Simone---I know it's not new music but I love it. Newer things, Bruno Mars, Jack White (and the older things from The White Stripes), and yes, I get happy when I listen to Pharrell Williams!

Time to leave again but friends, that was the longest baby shower I have ever attended---4 hours! Oh my goodness. Some people ate two times while they were there it took so long. I had brought along my own lunch but they did have unending quantities of lovely fruit chunks so I had some watermelon and strawberries.

Enjoy your day Anne. Now don't keep the rest of us from lovely new ideas!! I enjoy learning new things about my friends and their hobbies.

Hi Marie - enjoy your time with Alice.

Sandy - hope the storms have passed you and you'll have a nice pool day.

Hugs. Running.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,122 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday! :) It is raining here and a good day for sleeping but since I didn't go to Mass yesterday I am going this morning. The party was wonderful but I ate too much food and even dessert. I had a filet that was 10 ounces but I did not eat all of it and the hosts have a farm so they took all the leftovers for their animals since most of us didn't want doggy bags. Back on track today as of course my scale went up from too much fun.

I hope the sun is shining where you are and you have a wonderful day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • pinkperil
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Anne ~ Edith Piaf.... what a story her life is and that song was played at the funeral of my dear 95 year old friend who passed away a couple of months ago. We also sang along with Frank Sinatra and My Way so you can imagine what an amazing life my friend had with 3 marriages following a spell in a Nazi death camp in France where she'd been studying art in Paris before the invasion and yet had the most gentle soul along with a backbone of steel. Two shrubs in my garden were donated by her and this year have been a blaze of colour!

Sandy ~ Yes thanks, wall to wall sunshine!! B)

Jackie
  • Jacean245
    Options
    Of course JACKIE, Edith Piaf, how could I forget. Your lovely friend who passed away, one of mine died recently too with a rather similar history. She had LSD for the last 5 years. Apparently her aunt saved her and her brother's lives by stalling the German soldiers whilst the young ones hid in the fields. The aunt perished but 17 year old Doris and her brother walked across Europe and eventually the British found them and sent them on to Britain. She married and finally ended up in Canada. No family left when she died, but she was very much loved by friends and the staff of the home she died in. Very gentle, lovely Rumanian lady.
    Anne.
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Enjoyed brunch celebrating the 62nd anniversary of our neighbor/friends who have survived a daughter with severe mental disabilities, a son who took his own life just before we moved here, heart bypasses for both of them, 2 bouts of CA for her, and 5 hip replacements for him plus very bad heart problems, and yet they are smiling most of the time, and very pleasant to be with always! This is the couple we have driven to the hospital several times for emergencies! (He goes in the ambulance, of course). Picked up an adorable 6" chocolate cake with Ganache filling (for 6 people) so we could enjoy without dreading leftovers! Now will make a card for another neighbor whose husband with Alzheimers died this morning! Busy day.
    <3 Buzz
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Wow, Buzz, 62 years is amazing, but 5 hip replacement surgeries, oh my!
    Anne, and Jackie, I keep reading the phrase similar to 'we are losing the generation that fought in WW2. I saw a post on Facebook where an old airplane is being preserved. I hope we never forget.
    A beautiful day, tried Not to over do. Failed. The good news is that it doesn't hurt right now. It was a 'cleaning out the fridge ' kind of weekend. Good green beans, salad, etc. George Foreman is a hit with me! Cooked Jims bbq chops in no time.
    The green beans were good too, but I think they are better steamed.
    Going to watch tv then get to sleep. Jim likes to get up early!
    Take care

Phoebe
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Hot day today. But we got by just fine. Chatted with our son but our daughter wasn't available, sadly. Sunday is our family day to get in touch. It is really important to me since we are a very small family and our friends are dying at an alarming rate. I am feeling somewhat isolated of late. I guess I will try to get involved with more volunteer work. I get busy with my projects and then look up and say "what's going on? Where is everyone?"

If you've ever tried to order music from Amazon, let me tell you, hours and days can just disappear while you hunt for your music. While hunting for some classical pieces, I ordered Adagio For Strings. That music is so beautiful, it brings actual tears to my eyes to listen to it! I followed some suggestions here and ordered Nina Simone, Bobby Blue Blank and more. Can't wait to get my order. It takes a while. They make up the CDs on demand from masters.

Got my blood numbers back from the physical. Heck, it is just too confusing. My numbers look pretty good but the doc wants to up my statins. 40 ml instead of 20 ml! I need to do some research on this. I don't feel the number warrants a dosage change. I know I'm not a doctor but the information is out there, easy to read about. I am not above second guessing the doctor and having a discussion about this. Did I mention I am a difficult patient?

Bok Choy tonight. John will need a little chicken as well. I love to make my version of Chinese food. I am lucky John eats everything. He isn't too picky as long as he has a bit of protein.

All bedding plants are still alive so far. The heat wilted a couple of the sweet alyssum plants. Maybe they will come around tomorrow.
    Patsy
  • pinkperil
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Good morning.... here we are another Monday; where does the time go? Enjoyed another beautiful walk across the moors listening to the cuckoo who still seems to be hunting a mate (ahhh!) with my friend and her new puppy that is so excited to be sniffing and chewing sheep poo!! After a quick trip to purchase bedding for the hen house George had his shower and then sat on my lap in the sunshine drying off. He's looking gorgeous and very pleased with himself because he must feel better now his thick coat has been removed and everything shampooed.

Patsy ~ Doesn't some classical music just grab your heart and squeeze, other times make you feel joyous. I have to admit to not knowing a great deal about composers but often in the car have a radio station on called Classic fm that has me humming along to most that they play, either that or getting tearful because it's so moving. My bedding plants are also potted up but looking a bit sparse until they hopefully fill out. In all this dry weather I'd forgotten to add a few slug pellets to the pots so must do so before the rain returns otherwise they'll chomp their way through those fresh young plants. I'm in agreement that we should never accept without question everything doctors prescribe and from what I've heard about statins they are becoming the new antibiotic that has been over prescribed to the point of becoming ineffective and we have to remember it is a muscle relaxant that can also relax the brain, not a great idea at our time of life!! My GP practice doesn't see much of me thank goodness but does seem to accept I question everything because we're all human, even doctors!! I think it's easy to get so involved in our own day to day lives that others pass us by and having just read your post I jumped on to the phone to contact a gentleman friend I haven't seen since just after Christmas to plan a visit this week. No answer so now I'm worrying he may be unwell as he's hitting 90 and had health issues so will persevere with the phoning.... thanks for the unintentional nudge!!

Anne ~Such stories, some horrific, others inspiring do cover that terrible period and I think all we can do is pass them on to the next generations to carry them in their hearts and never forget. I've just checked the online catalogue for the local auction house and have seen a 1960's book shelf unit that might just sit nicely under my open staircase so am rather excited. They have another listed as "large Edwardian" but it's the one item that doesn't show a photo so I'm wondering if it's so big they can't get it through the doors!! I can't view until Sunday before the sale on Monday so will have to be patient. No Toby jugs listed yet but I think they're still adding items so will keep looking.

Phoebe ~ A cleaning out the fridge sort of day says it all. LOL That's the sort of job I leave until either something gets spilled or it's pouring with rain and all the other housework has been completed and it's not often that happens!! Delighted to read you have no pain in your knee.... that has to be a good sign right?

Buzz ~ What a day and such a busy one but who wouldn't throw a chocolate cake in the mix to cheer everyone up. It sounds too small for 6 but then I can be greedy!!

Time for an early lunch and then outside for some more weeding and tidying plus of course, the grass needs cutting AGAIN!!

Jackie

• Jacean245
    Options
    Hello, it's a sort of lethargic day here. Raining, cool, more rain tomorrow. Whilst everyone is bemoaning lack of visits to swimming pools, this idiot is loving an "English summer" and happily singing in the rain. Which reminds me PATSY, forget the song in my case, because I prefer and love classical music. i can relate to friends disappearing! That's how I came to be on MFP by the way, friends disappearing and big holes left in the tapestry of life. And like JACKIE my GP rarely sees me. Hasn't seen me for over 4 years actually since her darn pills nearly finished me off. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the bookcase will be just perfect!
    Well, perfect working weather. Pat the gorgeous George for me and pat little Honey for me PHOEBE, and pat ALL our furry friends everybody for they stick with us no matter what.
    Into the breach, ANNE.
  • pinkperil
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Anne ~ A wonderful quote from Bob Marley ~ "some people feel the rain, others just get wet".... we Brits live with so much rain I think we'd have to feel it or go bonkers and it's going to be in your genes!! LOL

Jackie
  • Jacean245
    Options
    Spot on JACKIE! I miss the sea TOO, the Great Lakes just aren't the same! I'm not the only one loving the rain, the birds are still splashing in the bird bath, the squirrels, chipmunks, etc are still pinching the bird seed, and my tomato plants are lapping it up. They have flower buds! I know because I've just been out to join the critters and feed em! I think I was probably the only human nut case (who didn't have to be) out in it peering at my plants. It also makes my hair curl, which is far better than the lank stuff I have in the dry winter. I just can't IMAGINE living in a dry, arid area! Now, there's another song for you PATSY!!
    "in every life a little rain must fall".
    ANNE, raindrops are falling on my head!