Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    It's quite late here in the UK but I'm still feeling so full after a couple of days eating far more than normal, I don't think I'll sleep if I do go to bed so am going to look through the online local auction catalogue for the event taking place on Friday in the hopes I'll find myself a dining table and chairs. First though I had to check in to know that Marie is safe and then, having watched our late news and seen a large truck overturned on an icy American freeway, that Phoebe and Jim aren't travelling. Our weather has been continuing its wet and windy destructive way and as Anne has commented, there are horrendous floods in the north of England and people living there have suffered for days and tonight are waiting for another surge. Where I live in Cornwall the ground is saturated and rivers running dangerously high but so far no major damage.

Anne ~ Any calories gained from those 2 mince pies will have been worked off dragging out your Christmas tree! If your weather is now turning cold I think I'll stock up on the necessaries because we seem to be following you about a week later as it flies across the Atlantic and everyone is saying our mildest December on record will probably mean winter will turn and bite us on the backside in January and February! I hope any family you have in the flooded north of England are dry and safe. Happy doodling!!!

Sandy ~ Gone are the days I party into the early hours too and New Year's eve will probably be spent in front of the fire with my furry family. Enjoy your peaceful few days and stay home where you're safe if the cold weather comes in your direction.

Buzz~ What a thing to happen.... Please let us know how that painful shoulder is. I'm assuming nothing broken but sometimes the shock can have an adverse affect so do take care of yourself. That's so sad about your wonderful ex-neighbours and I do hope things improve for them.

Lin ~ A busy day for you I expect but I hope you have also managed to stay out of the wild weather, especially if it's getting a lot colder in your neck of the woods.

Patsy ~ Wonderful photos so thank you for sharing.... it's lovely to be able to put faces to names and see what glorious pooches your girls are. They both have a hint of George's genes although that might just be because they share a Beatle hairstyle!! Is that your son sitting in a yoga position on the chair.... makes my knees ache just looking at the photo!!

I'll now look through that catalogue in the hopes it will make me feel sleepy enough for bed.
    Enjoy the rest of your Sunday everyone.
    Jackie
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,168 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday to all. I did a couple of stops at grocery stores this morning before going to church. Our winter storm is not expected until tomorrow but it was cold, windy and raw here today. Then off to church where the cold was pouring in! So I was frozen by the time I left. I helped out and did communion clean-up again today. So I have everything I could want here at home and am ready to just stay in except picking up mail and taking out the trash.

I was concerned for my cousins in the Dallas area but I did finally here from them and all is well with them but oh my, those storms looked fierce!!

Jackie, I hope you find something interesting in the catalog. I just got several seed catalogs in the mail yesterday but haven't given them a look as that will start the garden yearning again!!

Buzz, I am sorry for the news you received. A gentleman at church just received news that his heart is functioning at only 25% now but he made it to church. People are more resilient than I can imagine.

Marie, glad your TV is working again and that you are safe.

Sandy, I hope you got some time to just rest. You have been so busy.

Anne, again such upsetting news for you. You wore yourself out today but accomplished a lot. Back to reading your book tomorrow?

Barbie, I am sorry your week off did not produce any improvement.

Shirley and Marcella, my skills on this iPad are quite limited and I am afraid to change pages to remind me of what I wanted to make comments on!!! Darn.

Hugs to all. Hoping to get this posted before it disappears.

Lin
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I did not know the tornado was that bad and so close to home.It was about 2 1/2 mile from our home.I was in the bedroom changing clothes and putting on shoes and socks when the first alarm sounded didn't want to be half naked if one hit. and it just kept on. It was dark so could not see anything. since Our TV was not working unable to get news. We just went to bed. . First I hear of it was on facebook. When My niece describe it by her house. They are all safe but was really pretty close to it. We did not get any news till after the football game when I found out how bad it was and seen all of the pictures of it.
    It rain here here all day. and tonight may have snow and get colder.My son call me from St. Louis to see if we were OK. We have no plans on getting out tomorrow. Hoping Tues will be better love Marie
    This is the cloiest I been to a tornado.Don't want any more.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Marie - Glad to hear you are safe and sound. <3 Keep us informed how things are going.

Sandy - So far Isaac's favorite present is the play remote control. He loves it. He wants his parents
    remote all the time. Already a channel surfer. ;)

We had nothing but rain all night and day today. Still no snow but some freezing rain is on the way.

We went to visit my cousin Mark who is battling cancer, he just had his 61st birthday in December.
    He rarely gets out of bed now. He is in a hospital bed at home and they had family there when we
    were there too. Very sad to see such a strong and vibrant guy deterioate like he is. I am glad we
    went to see him they are taking it day by day.

We also ran into Kathy's godmother at a gas station of all places. We haven't see her in years.
    I told her Kathy has been talking about her lately so she hopes to stop by and see her and we told
    her we are grandparents. Kind of a crazy day.

We got our tickets for Star Wars on New Year's Eve, we will be taking our friend Tom with us.

Hello to all the Sneakers everywhere!!

Shirley
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Just when I was beginning to think the diagnosis re: Mike was wrong, he offered to make a salmon salad tonight and when I went into the kitchen, where he was eating his sandwich, there was mayonnaise all over the floor, cabinets, refrigerator and counters! To say nothing of his pants and shoes! Don't ask...!
    :'( Buzz
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    poor Buzz <3
  • Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Oh BUZZ, life doesn't get any easier does it! Your poor shoulder, your ex neighbours and now this. My thoughts are with you, but thoughts don't help much do they when you are cleaning up.
    Then MARIE, I can't imagine anything worse than sitting wondering if a tornado is going to hit. I'm so glad you are okay and JACKIE, I sincerely hope the floods and rain and swollen rivers and streams don't hit your beautiful corner of England.
    BARBIE - with your problems holding you back from all the things in life that bring you enjoyment, and LIN in the mid west and the weather not good according to our weather man, well 2016 isn't off to the best of starts is it.
    I shall just bury myself indoors today like the proverbial ostrich for we too are promised snow and ice later I believe. It's still a little early in the day to be sure. At 7 am the news station will reveal all. A day to polish the furniture now the Christmas clutter is cleared away.
    Anne ❤️
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Finally getting a chance to read everybody's messages. Our Christmas was so much fun and so so busy. Dinner for 20 people turned out as chaotic as can be expected but everything was delicious and everybody had a good time. Ed bought me a new camera for Christmas. I know I know I don't really need one but I love new cameras. I sat down with it yesterday and tried to figure out all the new features. I'll get it figured out yet.

Marie I'm so glad that the nothing happened to you with the tornado so close. That must've been very scary.

Buzz - all I can say is I'm so sorry you're going through all this. A Great big hug and lots and lots of good wishes to you.

Jackie - i'm glad you posted and updated us on what was going on where you live. I had been watching the news and I wondered if you were impacted by that weather.

Shirley -it has been a tradition for us to go to movies on New Year's Eve for a number of years now. However this year I think we can't as we have a commitment. I will miss our movie as this is been lots of fun over the years. Can't believe how busy the theaters are on New Year's eve. The first time we went to a movie on New Year's Eve we had to sit in the very front row "with all the other losers"as the guy behind us said to his friend. I had a good laugh at that. Enjoy Star Wars. Ed and I saw that last week and we really enjoyed it

Afraid to page back as I will probably lose my post so I will quit right right now.

Sandy, Lin, Anne, Phoebe, Marcella, Barbie - thinking about you too.

Have a great day everyone and I hope to get back on track food wise this week. My scale is giving me bad news. LOL

Jeri
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Oh joy this morning because as the skies lightened we were turned a gentle shade of pink as the most glorious pink, purple and gold sunrise crept up from the horizon. I wandered into the garden with my mug of coffee and gazed in wonder until it all faded. As my friend and I later walked with our respective dogs we compared notes on what we'd seen and both then laughed as we reminded ourselves of the saying "red sky in the morning, shepherd's warning"!! A nasty storm called "Frank" is heading in our direction for Wednesday but meanwhile the sun is doing its best to shine so I'm managing to catch up on a few outdoor tasks.

Buzz ~ Oh dear, a horrible few days for you and the mayonnaise incident must have seemed a final straw, especially if you had to clean up the mess still suffering from a sore shoulder. Big hugs to you both. <3

Anne ~ How wonderfully English..... if in doubt polish!! :) If you're now in line for some cold weather I'd better make sure I'm stocked up with kindling and coal because we're currently seeing all of our bad wet weather hurtling across the Atlantic so the crazy jet stream could pick up your winter and throw it at us too!!

Marie ~ That was a close call and I'm so glad to read you are both safe as well as other family members. I did smile at your comment about wanting to get properly dressed rather than being found half naked... I'm sure we'd all be doing the same in similar circumstances. Stay safe. <3

Lin ~ You've got the right idea, stay home in the warm if it's going to snow and be cold in your area. Those seed catalogues will be a lovely way to give you warm thoughts of summer and growing all sorts. Will it be vegetables or flowers? My online catalogue search last night was interesting and I may have found a 19th century drop-leaf mahogany table that would suit my cottage but am aware photos can make furniture look better than to the naked eye so will wait until viewing on Thursday before deciding whether to bid.

Patsy ~ Thanks for the great advice about freezing chocolate. My tantalizing gift is now in a bag spread out on what was the empty pizza tray as I think out of sight, out of mind will work for me. I'll let you know!!

My hens were finally mucked out this morning but I was then chased in by a rain shower so having eaten a light lunch in an effort to get back to healthy eating I'm now going to return to continue my rat control baiting because the pesky things have made a hole in the ground near the hen house so I'm going to offer a pile of poison pellets down there and cover with a rock by way of a hasta la vista baby gift!!

Happy Monday.
    Jackie
  • 6cookys
    6cookys Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Good morning all , my husband bought me a new current phone and my daughter got my phone updated and now u can get on this site with my phone. My computer died , it's really old. So we will see how long this workd.
    Anyway, miss you all. So sorry about everyone's problems, let's pray for a easier new year.
    Barbie, hope you heal sion.
    Marie, glad you are safe.
    Buzz, take deep breaths.
    Sandy, so glad you are enjoying family.
    All the rest of you. I will try to catch up on everything.
    Happy new year to all
    Chris
  • 6cookys
    6cookys Posts: 242 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Hi Lin, hi Phoebe, hi Shirley.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    So great to hear Chris. Be looking forward to all of your post, Really miss you
    Love Marie

Winter is here gosh it took it own sweet time.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,114 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday!! :) The decorations are down, laundry in the machine and coffee at the computer. Weather is horrible with sleeting rain, so my idea of running a couple of errands is on hold. My daughter and oldest son also bought me a piece of luggage and I am going to exchange it for the bigger size. I do not know how to pack and need a big suitcase for all the stuff I bring on vacations. I have time, so will wait until the weather is better.

Chris, wonderful to hear from you. Sorry your computer died but a smart phone is just as good. Hope you are and your family are doing well.

Jackie, I have to ask what is mucked as in mucked out?

Jeri, glad you had a minute to check in. With all those people for Christmas you must be worn out. There had to be wrappings flying all over with the grandchildren opening presents.
    Sounds wonderful!!

Marie, our winter has also arrived which doesn't make me happy. I would have been scared to death if I knew a tornado was that close to my house. I am so grateful that you are okay and had no damage. Love you Marie.

Anne, like Jackie, you are so English!! lol Same weather here but other than laundry I will not be polishing any furniture, that can wait for my cleaning girl next Monday.

Buzz, read the poem, take a deep breathe and be grateful Mike is still with you most of the time. Sorry you have to go through this but I know you can handle it for now. Love you!!

Shirley, I am so sorry about your cousin, he is so young. How nice to run into your daughter's Godmother. Robby also has a remote and loves it. I bought him a fake IPhone for Christmas because he is always trying to take his mommy's. He was so cute saying hello.

Barbie, just wondering if the doctors mentioned Fibromyalgia. My friend suffered with pain for years until a doctor finally diagnosed it and gave her some relief. I know you had extensive tests and you are a good patient to listen to their advice. Sorry you are still in some pain.

2016 is getting closer, where do these years go? Let's make the most of the New Year and take care of ourselves and our health.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. Hearing about all of the crazy weather we are all having makes me wonder if this will make believers out of those who disavow climate change. This is just plain scary!

Isn't it interesting that the food we prepare before Christmas is now NOT as appealing? I feel wasteful but the reminnents must be tossed. We had three deer down on the lower acres munching on the discarded holleween pumpkins. They seem to a favorite of the elk as well. I will feed the birds and raccoons, most likely, some of the crackers etc from the Christmas party.

I am set to start back to work on the paintings. I slacked off just before Christmas. It makes me feel uneasy if I don't get in a couple of hours each day. The dungeon is the worse looking ever. I have to do some clearing out before I begin. Right now...this is me procrastinating!

Buzz: I have read about how your situation with your DH makes you feel so lonely. You must feel in a controlled panic most of the time. I hope you can get some help in one of the active organizations for spouses and family dealing with Alzheimer's etc. I understand you are under extreme stress. I wish I lived closer. I would help you in some silly way... Like help you clean up the salad dressing.

Marie: as a kid we lived in Texas. I lived with grandparents on a cattle ranch. I remember nights when we all slept on army cots in the storm cellar. I was a little girl but I knew it was dangerous. The power of those storms is unimaginable. Thank God, you are safe.

Phoebe: I hope you don't have to travel in this awful mess. I look hard at the trucks as they pass me to see if one of them has you, DH, and the little critters riding along. I always thought I would wave like crazy. I would make the drivers 's wonder about the nutty woman in the Subaru.

Must get to it...
    Patsy.

• Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Just a quick word about the book I'm reading by the former Iowa native now turned Brit. I can finally see why us Brits and once Brits are viewed as rather odd by the folk on this side of the pond. What to me is completely normal is viewed as somewhat eccentric by this gent, or I should say WAS, for after 40 years in the UK he is as wacky as the rest of us Brits, and I'm really enjoying his book. It looks as if the snow will start soon and it's very cold, so I'll make a cup of tea, and after a morning of "mucking" the house out, I'll get back to reading.
    Bye, Anne.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello Friends. We have had some snow. Then a lull and now it is snowing again. I did some laundry today and a bit of straightening up. I don't think I will try to get my mail or take the trash out. I just am not feeling very well. I may have picked up the bug the little girl at my friend's home had. She was coughing non-stop and was whining with an ear ache later in the day. I have had several cups of tea but think I will just go to bed.

See you tomorrow.

Lin
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Just caught up reading posts and, WOW, I'm just glad everyone (and their families) are okay after all of the bad weather. Here, it is just raining...again... So, I'm inside, working away at getting ready for the new year.

Buzz - So sorry to hear about the mayo mishap. I can't imagine, but it certainly sounds trying at best.

Wishing everyone better weather,
    Marcella
    Options
    We aren't back to work, so we won't be on icy roads and I'm so glad! We may float away, but it isn't cold here. Getting lots of laundry done. I should've counted how many loads, lol, for no particular reason. Hope it's a safe week for everyone, near and far.
    When I visited my aunt, she was determined to give me things. Soap bars from hotels, I took some. Canned food, I refused. Then to her car which held the 'take it or it goes to goodwill' items. Quite an assortment, I was surprised to see the bird feeder pole I gave her when she moved in last summer, lol. I was happy to take it home. I think it is related to her dementia. She doesn't like clutter now, it seems to bother her so much she has to get rid of things or at least put them out of sight. I noticed her headboard was gone, she said she doesn't remember why she got rid of it. Well, in keeping with Sandy's lovely poem, I don't let it bother me, and I see it's best to try to respect her decisions, rather than change things. Back to the hardworking washer and dryer.
    Phoebe
  • linder4866
    Options
    Okay, well feeling worse today. See you when I can move. So tired and aching.
    Options
    Lin, sending you warm comfort from Georgia, where it's very mild, springlike, for now.
    Hope you have a heating pad. Be safe today. Phoebe