Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    THE FOLLOWING IS ESPECIALLY FOR PHOEBE. MINCEPIES! Evil laughter, cackle, cackle! Excuse my warped sense of humour love! Merry Christmas!
    bxzhtfg6w8sb.jpeg
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Lol, now I see the problem, Anne! Their pie didn't look like that. It felt like it was going to make my tongue go numb, and it was Yucky! Lol. Have a good day with a book in a chair Outside. Winter will return! Already a coworker posted a winter storm coming in right after Christmas.
    I'm supposed to be at company Christmas party, so must leave your good fun company.
    I don't stay coz I don't like the food. Not enough veggies. Usually BBQ. I only want that sometimes and hardly seems suitable at Christmas time.
    Marie?

Phoebe
  • Jacean245
    Options
    PHOEBE, I have such a warped sense of humour that I hope you will forgive me. Did you realize that my soldier boy is guarding my mincepies from marauding Phoebes. Lin remarked he wouldn't have much guarding to do, lol. By the way, if you could step through the TV to enter the Downton Abbey world, you would be sure to have a mincepies thrust down your throat, probably with a glass of port or sherry.
    Hope YOUR party is fun, certainly the right weather for a barbecue!
    Anne.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Phoebe - Enjoy your party!! Just think of the calories you are saving by not eating their food. Ha!
    Be good to your back, when it hurts it hurts and can wreak your day.
    60hr4dun3sxx.jpg

Lin - Lin, Lin, Lin, we will always be here for you and would miss you if you were not here. You have been through so much this past year. I think your friends at church should be more thankful and grateful for what is given to them. Sorry this made you sad, because you are always making other people smile.

Anne- Your nutcracker is so cute I have a few them too. I seem to be buying one every year now.
    Your mince cookies look delicious. I am not a fan of mince but those look very good.

Marie - Your new picture is so nice. Very festive!

Sandy - You must be getting anxious for your trip and visiting the rest of the family. :)
    I am very proud how you are handling Babe lately, keep it up, you have to take care of you.
    I agree with Buzz, he will never learn what a great person he has lost in his life.

Today was Yoga class and we did resortative poses, gentle yoga and it felt good on my back.
    We are picking up Kristina and John at the bus station today. She told me John is not feeling well
    today, I hope he is not nervous about meeting us. ;)

Here is a picture of a basket I bought today, it is made from grandma's in Africa.

Shirley

• oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Sign on the message board at our local vet..."Dinosaurs never went to the vet! And look how that turned out!" I think it was to help us smile as we dashed in for a refil on MoMo's $1.00 apiece pills. Our old girl is doing pretty good. She goes to bed early, naps in the afternoon, and also a short nap after her morning treats. Her exercise is rather short walks and several trips up and down the stairs during the day. The pills make her life comfortable. She is still very social and demands long pets and ear massages at her bedtime. She is still MoMo the wonder dog! Amazing Mazzy, the sheepdog, is wearing her holiday kerchief. She has always been a fashion queen.

I am going to the podiatrist this afternoon. I think all is well with my feet. I need to be on my feet to get the holidays off and running! We are still looking at different physical fitness classes at the local college for next quarter. Spanish and tai chi?

Rain, hail, wind, high tides, local flooding, mudslides....whatever happened to White Christmas? Dark and dreary weather. But we have Christmas lights, fire in the fireplace, candles (battery operated) and happy music. We are cozy and enjoying a lovely holiday season. Our son should be here soon. I have already started my New Years resolutions list. I see them as areas in my life I want to concentrate on more. As we all know...I am a project in progress.

Since I am primarily a southern girl, (Texas) pecan pie is my choice poison. Compared to mince pie, I would say pecan pie has more calories, more fat and flat out addictive than anything I know. I allow myself one small piece on Christmas Day. There is nothing good about it except the taste. Now about the debate on dressing...corn bread or oyster or regular? I go with cornbread....

Tuck a bit of the joy of this season into your pocket to last all year long.
    Patsy

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    I just want to hug each and every one of you dear people and today's posts have me grinning with tears! WE ALL understood what this year would be for LIN...except LIN! And I don't know that I knew her Mom passed on at this holiday, also. I'm beaming white pure love over the airwaves, dear LIN. You are so very supportive of everyone but yourself and we all love you!
    PHOEBE, you are another gal who we all want to reassure that you are very much loved and admired amongst our group! And listen to wonderful JACKIE about the doctors orders! Daffodils? In December? No climate change? Am I going crazy? SHIRLEY, sorry the lunch out turned into a sad display. My, the world has changed! ANNE, just enjoy the mince pie and think how nice it could be if we all joined you tasting it! SANDY, PATSY, JERI, MARIE, sending oodles of love to everyone. Almost finished with my pre holiday "must-do's" but have to sign off. Stay well...XOXOXO
    <3 Buzz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    t113013.gif We have sunshine here today after a lot of rain and icy roads and clouds and wind.....I'm sending some sunshine and warm wishes to all of you.

t113002.gifBarbie
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Thanks sandy for the remake of my picture. You did a great job. job;the reason I am running late in posting I came down with a nasty old cold. I went to bed Monday night with a sore throat and work up all congestive Sneakers it was not me it was Sandy
    Lin I receive your sweet card Thank you for thinking of me. You are a darling.We are so bless to have you as a sneaker.

in fact you all are a very special person.[ove you all[

Marie
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Lin - huge hugs to you. You are are a very special person and we all know it here.

I've been cooking, cooking, cooking - getting ready for Christmas.

Earlier in the week I made squares to give away to neighbors. We bought a fresh turkey yesterday and later I made a Christmas pudding. Today I made a rum sauce for the pudding and then a sweet potato casserole. I cooked the sweet potatoes in my Instant Pot pressure cooker and then assembled it all and now it is in the fridge waiting to be reheated Chriatmas day. Tomorrow we'll cook turnips and I'll make a Jello Fruit Salad - a family tradition of my Dad's Mom that I make every year. I'll get veggies ready for putting out on Christmas as well. Tree is up, presents are wrapped and I've decorated my tables with holiday tablecloths and center pieces. Because the 20 of us can't fit up to one table I think I'll organize a draw to see who sits in the dining room and who sits in the kitchen/family room. It's all quite open and you can see both tables from either but I want a good mix. Wish we could add on to my dining room table but that just won't work. The older girls don't want to be at a kids table so I'm organizing a lottery. No kids table except for the real little ones who definitely are at a small kids table. Next year when Sarah is out of her high chair it will be a new puzzle to solve.

Christmas Day. Our girls and their family come at 2 pm so we can open presents then Mel's In Laws and Sean's bro come at 4. Sometime in there the turkey will get cooked and everything will be out for a great family meal.

Makes me tired just thinking about it.

Hugs to all

Jeri

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,146 Member
    Options
    Good evening. I want to say thank you for being so kind. And I do remember the true meaning of Christmas but I am selfish enough to want what I want. Overall I realize it does not matter and I have been blessed beyond measure. I will try to keep that in mind more often.

Back a few pages there was discussion about animal shelters and fostering etc. I wanted to mention that I did try volunteering at the local animal rescue organization and I did want to bring every dog home with me. I walked and ran with dogs and I just had to stop doing it. So for a while I went out there and helped by doing loads and loads of laundry but I still couldn’t resist going in and visiting with the animals. I had to quit going there.
    I hope everyone is receiving their orders. I think I’m all caught up now and today I received an order meant for a neighbor and didn’t notice it wasn’t mine until I opened it and thought, oh no, I didn’t order any of this. I taped it back up and walked down the block and left it at the door of one of my neighbors. They had so many packages on the porch there was hardly room! I guess they decided to do a lot of online ordering this year!

Patsy, I enjoyed Star Wars but I am one of those people who cannot sit through a movie without getting up one or two times for a ladies room break. My back doesn’t like the seats for hours on end and the previews took more than 20 minutes. It is nice to go with someone else for a number of reasons including you can quickly zip out of the theater and zip back in without worrying about your possessions. How was your trip to the podiatrist?

Phoebe, how is your back today? And are you now following your doctor’s orders and taking it easy? Are you receiving your packages? I see a couple of FedEx trucks circling our neighborhood each day, sometimes a Spee-Dee delivery truck and of course UPS as well. All my little things are back on schedule at this point. How was the company Christmas party? And I do hope your headache is gone.

Marcella, did you make it through your odd day and all the things you needed to handle? I had a stay at home day which is good. I’m still trying to decide if getting carrots is worth going out tomorrow. Ha. I think most people would pass on something so insignificant.

Sandy, what a lovely surprise! Wahoo. I am sure you’ll make good use of that gift with the trips that you take. Have you found your airfare deal? And did you go shopping today?

Buzz, you’ve had so many adventures! I went to Hawaii twice and had a lot of fun but never went whale-watching. I was just thrilled to be there and walk around gawking and taking pictures. Enjoy the warm holiday weather.

Shirley, I am glad you had a lovely time with your sister. And that you heard from your oldest daughter. A pleasant surprise. And I like the new basket you purchased. Very nice.

Jackie, I love hearing from you. Your posts are so heart-warming and they paint pictures of what you do each day and of darling George. I enjoy them so much. I hope we get some sunshine one of these days. Today we had rain, pouring rain, then ice pellets, and finally light snow but not a ray of sunshine. Carrot soup!!! An abundance of carrots. Joy, joy, joy! I use a pound or two of carrots most weeks. They are so incredible!! I cannot believe how warm it is. Daffodils? Feeding the bees? My gosh, how the plants and creatures react to the weather.

Anne, I love the picture you posted and had a good laugh. I cannot believe your heavier clothes are not getting any workout yet. I’ve definitely used my winter coat, boots, gloves, ear muffs, fleece and all the rest. When it is a bit warmer it is still cold and damp. I am sure your turn will come one of these days.

Barbie, thank you for the sunshine wishes. And wishing you well as you continue through your days of lower activity. Are you doing a lot of knitting?

Marie, I am sorry to hear you have a cold. I like the revamped picture by the way. Hope you feel better each day.

Jeri, so many special dietary needs in your family. I think you are a Saint for all the cooking you do to take care of everyone. I like the idea of a drawing for seating people at the tables.
    Great idea! Just the description of all the prep work and activities upcoming make me tired. Bless you.

Hugs to everyone including all the dear Sneakers who haven't posted here lately. I hope you are happy, healthy, and just too busy to stop by.

Lin
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    Ever see this little funny in a cafe - weather report- wet rock, raining, cold rock, freezing, dark rock, cloudy, white rock, snow? Something like that.
    Well, Wet Cat- Rain! And they jump in my lap first thing! Why go out in a downpour? Honey won't go out there. She's been holding it in all day, lol. Gonna try to put her leash on.
    Barbie, somewhere on this continent there had to be sunshine but I never thought it would be near you. Icy roads?
    Now here it is Christmas and didn't it jump up and over November? Im Not Ready!! Never am though. My poor sweet cousin in Hawaii (I know, how can anyone in Hawaii be pitied!). Two years in a row I've forgotten to mail her gift card. So she'll get a belated Christmas from me:(
    Back to the kitchen, making my dressing tonight. Cooking it tomorrow.
    Patsy, cornbread dressing rules!
    Hugs to all, especially Anne, you funny sweetheart, and Marie. Hate that you're not well. Take care. Sorry, no card in the mail this year.
    Phoebe
  • Jacean245
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Dear girls, this may not turn out so please bear with me, because I did try. It's how I imagine me at the age of 3 with our cat, waiting for Santa Claus, old fashioned bedstead and all!
    CHRISTMAS EVE: MAY ALL YOUR HOPES AND WISHES COME TRUE, AND A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS, A VERY HAPPY YULETIDE!
    ipa1pm3g2gdn.jpeg

Your friend, Anne. ❤️
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,146 Member
    Options
    Oh Anne- that is beautiful. Adore it. <3<3

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    ANNE, did you make that drawing/painting? I'm flabbergasted! We have such talent hidden away in this group!
    I can't figure out if BARBIE's weather is good or bad, but we know whatever it is, she'll make the most of it!
    LIN, you also always see the better side of life, and I know your Christmas will be a contented holiday with friends
    who love you as we all do!
    PHOEBE, it is possible to be fretting in Paradise, as I did when one of their centipedes got into my shower! Anyway
    I wish all Hawaiians a very Mele Kalikimaka. And a happy Holiday to you two, too!
    MARIE, so sorry you are under the weather, but take good care of yourself and rest well so you'll improve soon!
    JERI, try to take time out to relax before everyone shows up! And have a very Merry Christmas with your family!
    I will try to find time tomorrow to stop here for a few minutes, but want to wish you all a wonderful Christmas,
    in whatever way make you happiest!
    I'm late, as usual!.....
    <3 Buzz
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas everyone! Couldn't sleep for some reason, I decided to get up for a cup of warm milk and an aspirin. I thought I would wish you all a very Merry Christmas while I was at it. I feel a bit weary yet I can't drift off. Time will fix that I am sure. It is a cold night, it hailed earlier and the hail is still on the deck. It looks like snow. I see a break in the clouds and the moon is bright. It reminds me of "'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house...." Back to bed now.
    Patsy
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm exhausted!! First thing, in the dark, I took George round the village roads for his walk because I'd planned to swim at the local pool with friends at 9am. At least there wasn't much traffic about as it seems everyone has begun their holidays but then, oh goodness, we get to the pool to be told it's lane swimming only and although we thought we could manage that, there was already a large group of VERY serious swimmers zooming up and down some of whom managed to kick me on the thigh, slap my head and generally push me out of the way. I did manage quite a few lengths, mostly because I had to and then found a safe corner of the pool to float and chat to a few other not-so-serious swimmers. Having walked George in pouring rain I was delighted to see the sun shining when we finished our swim and so far it's turned into a lovely day.... incredibly mild but so nice!

Anne ~ What a delightful drawing and a blast from the past for me too. Mince pies were always my downfall this time of year, especially because they arrive in the stores early November and I'd be tucking in far too early. These days I'm more in control of my eating habits but still can't get through Christmas without a few gorgeous tarts! Here's my special filling that was purchased in Scotland about 4 years ago and although way past the sell by date is so infused with brandy nothing is going to perish! I'll be baking this evening!
    05yym0xydka6.jpg

Jeri ~ What a wonderful Christmas you'll all be having even if tiring but I hope you have enough leftovers to keep you going so you don't have to cook for a few days!
    Hopefully your son has now arrived and you can settle into your cosy Christmas. Hooray for MoMo and Mazzy being in continued good health. Isn't it amazing what can be done for our pets these days.

Buzz ~ Your centipede story did make me smile because I've no doubt it would have been far larger than any such creature we get here in the UK. Mind you, last Friday as I sat enjoying a cup of tea and fairy cake at a friend's I felt a tickle on my neck and because I had earlier visited my hairdresser I tried to brush off what I thought was a few stray pieces of hair only to find a huge spider clinging to the back of my hand. The cry went up from my friend to kill it but her husband opened the patio doors and I managed to shake it outside in spite of a strand of cobweb that had attached to a finger... I'm not so sure it didn't cadge a lift back into the house before the door was shut!!

Marie ~
    1639657jze0bob6qi.gif

I hope you feel much better very soon and meanwhile send you a big hug.

Phoebe ~ I always seem to lose several months leading up to Christmas and wonder why I finish rushing everything hours before. A BBQ this time of year does seem unseasonal even in your part of the world and I'd probably have to take a bowl of green stuff to satisfy my appetite!

Lin ~ Amazon are now advertising their big Boxing day sale and I was finding myself tempted to start looking except I'm sure they're still catching up with Christmas orders so will leave it for a couple of days. I think we sneakers are probably all too soft to get that involved in animal shelters although as I get older I think I will probably foster a cat or 2 rather than find myself without any because they've always been a big part of my life. George is irreplaceable of course!!

Barbie ~ It seems you are the only amongst us enjoying seasonal weather. I do hope your rested body will soon be fit enough to get back to everything you love to do.

I know I've missed many but must now get on with some tidying and clean out the hen house which I admit I failed to do yesterday.

Jackie

• JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Anne, your picture is so precious! o:)

Today began earlier than I had hoped with an early morning thunder storm! What a yucky, wet day. Tonight, though, we're looking forward to hearing our son in concert at the church he attends. The praise band will be rocking out with the Christmas tunes. My husband has a cold, but he's hoping to feel better by this evening so that we can both be there.
    Trying to keep things low-key today. It helps me to have some down-time. Tomorrow, we will enjoy the day with our two young adult sons. I'm looking forward to a lazy day with most of the stores closed and little to do. Good food, good family and some friendly games of Scrabble and probably a bit of Chess between my hubby and the oldest son. Can't ask for much more than that. <3
    Wishing everyone a joyous day,
    Marcella
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,098 Member
    Options
    1j5f8l1gcnc2.jpg

Busy, busy, busy!!
    Enjoy your Christmas Eve and/or Thursday!!

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Jacean245
    Options
    Some time with family tomorrow, and some downtime for me just doing what I like to do - doodling. Must get to the art store for more felt tip pens! I've got an idea for a new year card. It might work, it might not, but I'll have fun trying.
    JACKIE, mm, mm, the brandy soaked fruit looks delicious. Shall you sneak a little more brandy in, JUST to be sure!
    MARIE, I do hope your cold is almost gone! What a downer for Christmas!

But.....this is Yuletide, the slow lengthening of days and feasting to encourage the sun to come back, although this year he seems reluctant to leave us!
    Happy Yuletide, and may you all get kissed under the mistletoe!

But....this is Christmas, goodwill and peace towards all!
    Merry Christmas, and may you all get kissed under the mistletoe!
    Anne.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Blueberry and apple pies were baked by Kristina and her Dad a tradition which has happened for years.
    The meat pie (Quebec) is baked which I ordered through our choir and it looks really delicious.
    I just finished making the green bean casserole, a new recipe from Pinterest.

We picked up Kristina and John from the bus station last night so they are getting settled. We took
    them down to see Niagara Falls but it was very foggy so there wasn't much to see, they might go back
    today since its all clear. The Christmas display of lights was beautiful too.

We are planning on a chinese dinner in one of our restaurants tonight and inviting Dave's mom with us.
    We will be opening gifts tonight, first time in 41 years of marriage. We want to get a head start
    tomorrow to go see Isaac, after all his first Christmas.

Have a wonderful holiday to each and everyone!!

Shirley