Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Good morning sneakers. As I thought the bank of grey cloud spotted yesterday afternoon has descended to cover the moors so our walk was in thick fog. Thinking it was safe to let Scruff off her lead since she wouldn't be able to see sheep to chase it wasn't 2 minutes before she took off and disappeared as we heard her barking and sheep bah-ing!! She doesn't hurt them but we think she imagines them to be larger versions of George to play with and she soon returned to continue sniffing around a large mound of derelict mining building that we refer to as rabbit city! I'm now contemplating a couple of hours shopping which is something I detest but needs must.

Shirley ~ I do seem to remember Toronto didn't often get a great deal of snow but head a few miles north or south and towns were up to their necks. Good friends of mine live in London, Ontario and since retiring head to Florida for 3 of the winter months where they rent a house although 10 years ago they were still loving winter sports like ice hockey and curling. Fine if you can afford it I guess!

Buzz ~ My head has always been sensitive to barometer changes and I can tell when low pressure is on the way because I become "foggy" and head-achy so know you're not losing your mind. Are you still managing to avoid most of the delicious rich food that is on offer because when you mention gout I do worry that it's not doing you any favours? It does seem colouring books for adults are all the rage at the moment and know LIN has mentioned she participates with a group, I think at her local library.

Patsy ~ Dear Mazzie! She has the best friend in the world in you and hopefully your vet will come up with a solution for her, maybe stronger pain relief or even hydrotherapy. We're all so soft when it comes to our pets and completely understand why you would stay upstairs with her.... by the way, I'm really impressed with your having a ballet bar! My exercise bike was moved into the cottage from my little conservatory where it had been used as a coat hanger and now I'm having to be very strict with myself not to cover it in more coats but instead use it for what it was designed. :|

Anne ~ You can't beat your own home comforts and I can imagine you not wanting to move around too much in that glorious bedroom in case you made a mess. Two hours sleep in a warm room is certainly better than none in a freezing one but I expect your body was just telling you it needed to catch up when you slept 11 hours.

Phoebe ~ So sorry to read Jim is suffering again but at least you have a magical mattress to float on! Sitting in a truck for long journeys is never going to be good for a bad back or hip unless he can stop regularly to stretch his legs but good you can share your meds! When I had my surgery in the summer I was given a pack of really strong ibuprofen by the hospital staff and I've found they work miracles on my sore hip (not what they were meant for!!) and now I'm down to about 4 left in the pack I'm thinking I must persuade my GP to prescribe them without a long drawn out run of visits to be checked over and tested!!

Chris ~ From your posts I'd say you're doing a great job watching what you eat without WW at the moment so well done and keep going!

Well I've put off the shopping trip long enough so will get myself going into the fog and rain.....

Jackie
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,363 Member
    Good afternoon, my errands yesterday went well and my only problem was I had to run the windshield wipers all the time and spray the fluid over and over in order to see well. I think I will need to find my bottle of fluid and refill the reservoir in the car. But wow, it is so dirty I hate to get near it. This morning I did a couple more of my errands and SCORE---I got ORGANIC whole cauliflower for $2.99! And the heads were lovely and huge. Also the Japanese yams I wanted were on sale as well. Double score.

I did my library run and came home to make phone calls. I was able to get through to both the attorney and the accountant I needed to speak with. I think I have the answers I need now to start putting together my personal information for my tax return. It took quite a while and a number of days just to find out what I needed to get. Now I need to actually do the work.

I cooked the tiny cauliflower I’d purchased the other day and saved the big wonderful one for another day. Also roasted some fresh green beans and roasted a red onion. I cleaned some red lettuce and when I finally rinsed out all the sand and dirt, it was quite tasty. I had a lovely lunch and have some yams roasting now. I had signed up for a webinar this afternoon but there were technical problems and it didn’t go off exactly as planned so I guess they will try again next week.

Tonight I paid for a live online cooking demo so I hope that webinar goes better! After the live webinar I guess a link will be forwarded so you can watch it again for a period of 2 weeks. I’ve never done one of these before but I believe it’s 10 recipes and I have an ingredient list but all you have to take your own notes on preparing each recipe and the exactly ingredients for each as no written recipes will be provided. I have a notebook and pen ready. I am guessing I will need to watch it again (and maybe again).

Tomorrow evening I am going to a class at the library to make Valentine’s Day cards. And I did go to a coloring get together for adults at the library and it was fun so if I can, I plan to go back each month. Once a month they also have a scrap booker/card maker day on the schedule and you can work in their room and share paper cutters etc. for a $1 fee. She told me if I want to come and just do coloring or something that would be fine. I might do that, it’s nice to hang out with some folks and also nice to see what they are creating.

Chris, you have very organized days! You make time for the things that should be done. I think you are doing fine. You have a lot of snow. We don’t have very much right now and that’s okay with me. When will you go to visit your son?

Sandy, how was your trip to play bingo. Hope everyone is well today.

Jackie, I love your descriptions of your walks although I am too much of a wimp these days to go outside for extended periods in the cold. I guess there will be no additional Siberian Huskies in my future as that involves one to two periods of freezing while walking dogs each day in the winter. Hurlers stones. They sound so mystical. I hope your shopping trip went well. Sometimes it is difficult to just get out there to cope with having to run after things. Since I parcel out my errands a couple at a time, I am out there often. I have a friend who goes to store after store and sticks with it for hours on end so she doesn’t have to go as often. I prefer little short trips.

Shirley, I looked on your Facebook page and couldn’t find that picture of Isaac. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Patsy, I so sorry about Mazzy’s troubles. I hope there’s a way to improve the situation. Any chance of seeing what the vet has to say? Meanwhile, I hope my name comes up on the list with the library for the DVD of The Intern. The bits I’ve seen look funny.

Buzz, I hope you are feeling better today. I have my own fuzzy days and I just stew in my own juices for a while and don’t push hard. Usually the next day is better. Hopefully at some point in my life I will ease up and not get so worried about things. Well, one can always try!

Phoebe, I am so sorry that Jim is having problems. That has to be very difficult when you’re out on the road. Not great at any point in time of course. I am glad your new mattress is comfy.

Time to check on the yams, think about getting the mail and organizing for listening to the webinar this evening.

Best wishes to everyone who has not been posting. I hope you are okay.

Hugs.

Lin
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Morning All,

It's another cold day here in Ontario. Brrrrr! and that gloomy gray sky.

Anne - We pass through Oakville when going to our daughter's in Mt. Albert near Newmarket that is where Isaac lives. They tried looking at houses there but found it must too expensive. It would have
    closer to us.

Dave and I went to the hockey arena for our walk this morning. I don't why I didn't think about it before.
    Dave doesn't exercise like I do, so he could use it too. Alot of seniors were there too.

Dave got the wallpaper down in the entrance way and is patching some spots before he paints. It
    was quite a job getting that second layer off. He says he will rent a steamer to do the large wall before
    painting that.

Nothing special going on here today, I still have laundry to put away and make my bed and have a shower.

Chris - Good luck with whatever plan you are doing. You are very disciplined so I think you probably
    don't need WW or like you said just take a break from it.

Buzz - So sorry to hear about your gout and knees. Getting old is what we all have to look forward to.
    Yesterday I was hurting from do that strength training on the Wii. Using all different muscles.
    Feel better my friend. <3

Patsy - Poor Mazzy, arthritis is tough on dogs as well as humans. Having a ballet bar is great!
    You can do your own exercise routine and just stretching on it is huge.

Buzz- Get one of those adult coloring books, there are all kinds and so relaxing. Maybe joining
    the ladies would be fun.

Phoebe - Safe travels to Alabama and enjoy the mattress. I hope Jim's pills kick in and he feels
    less pain. Nothing worse than being in pain and not getting relief.

Shirley

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,271 Member
    Happy Thursday!! :) I did not win at bingo and because I had pizza I of course gained from the salt. I hope it is gone for weigh in tomorrow. Robby was much better today, his little nose hardly ran at all. He took over a three hour nap and I was able to rest as well. We played hide and seek (sort of) and he wore me out. I also built a tent/fort over a couple of chairs and couch. He loved that!!!

Now I need to catch up on the computer and get caught up on my games, so I will be back tomorrow. Have a great day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Met with the nicest guy in medical equipment care, and he took the antique chair back to his place, cleaned it up, put in new batteries and a charger, and says with a gel pillow, it would serve my current needs. However, at a cost of $535. to have an ancient unwarranted chair, versus a used but like new chair (originally$2500) that has comfortable seating and a year's warranty and service, my feeling is to go with the newer model for a total of $900 (includes use of the antique until wheels, etc, are replaced on the one he is rejuvenating). Any comments? I would be able to use it to get to the dining room and use it at the dinner table without getting up and changing seats.
    PHOEBE, sorry to hear about Jim's aching body; driving must make it painful! I do hope you won't be driving into this massive storm the TV keeps warning us about! Love you too, Babe! Also, a comfortable mattress solved all our back problems and I hope they do the same for both of you!
    JACKIE, I am transported to another world, in another civilization, when I read your posts! When will you write your book? Thank you for corroborating I still retain some sanity regarding weather, pain, and foggy-brain!
    <3 Buzz

• linder4866
    Buzz, I agree, go for the newer chair with warranty etc. At least that would be my choice.
  • Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    edited January 2016
    Hello everyone. I've spent the day getting nervous every time the room got cooler and then breathing a sigh of relief when the furnace thundered into life!
    SHIRLEY, Wouldn't it have been lovely if I could have had Isaac for a neighbour! The house next door was sold a few months ago!
    The only comment from me BUZZ regarding mobile chairs "they cost THAT much, oh boy!" And LIN your cauliflower only cost $2.99? At the organic store a large one costs over $9 here. I resisted buying one!
    PATSY any news about poor Mazzie? Winter is the very devil for bringing out the aches and pains, humans and animals alike.

Anne.

• Sandydur
    I agree with Lin Buzz, get the newer chair with the warrenty, your health is worth it!!!
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Hello everyone! We are pretty much heartbroken here. Our dear Mazzie had cancer of the leg, hip, and chest. We had to let her go. This hole in our our life is huge. We have such a small somewhat dysfunctional family this was an incredible loss to us. All you animal people know what I am speaking of...
    Patsy
  • Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Oh Patsy love, I'm so very very sorry. Yes I know what it's like, I had to let Tabitha go and she was my companion. Life is pretty cruel at times. God bless, Anne.
  • Oh Patsy, I do know what your grief is like. Hugs to your family in this dark days. You did what was best for her. Thank you for being responsible pet parents. God Bless
    Phoebe
  • linder4866
    Oh dear Patsy, such devastating news. I am so incredibly sorry................

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Patsy, I am so sorry! I know it is the hardest thing in the world to do, but Phoebe said it best!
    I hope this gives you just a little bit of comfort! <3
    A Letter from the Rainbow Bridge

Hi, Mum

Remember that night when I wasn’t feeling very well and we were all crying? I don’t remember much, but I do remember seeing and hearing all of you and feeling your touches and hugs…I remember hearing “we love you” and that one last command of “Go through”. I didn’t know what you meant, so I turned around and walked through the fog that was in front of me. I saw the biggest bridge I’ve ever seen! And so many friends on the other side of it! They were all playing with toys and balls! You were right to tell me to go there!
    My feet kept moving forward, but my heart kept pulling me back. Your touches became lighter and lighter and I wanted to come back and nudge your hands for more love, but I was overcome by this feeling of curiosity for the happy place over the bridge! My feet started moving on their own, like a gentle breeze was moving them forward for me! I can’t explain it, but I had no doubt that it was the right thing to do!
    So, I walked across that big, huge bridge by myself! I looked for you, because you’re always by my side, walking with me, but this was different. I didn’t have a collar around my neck or a leash connecting me to you ~ I was ‘free’! Even though you weren’t there with me, I never felt alone! I actually felt like I had a huge cape of love wrapped around my body and the more I walked, the easier it was to breathe! So, I kept walking! And I would feel more warmth in the big hug, so I kept on walking! I eventually made it over the big bridge – I did it by myself, mum!
    When I got here, all of my new friends greeted me and helped me walk off the bridge ~ it was so cool! They gave me a pair of wings and said that I was now a Guardian Angel!
    We’re all the same up here ~ we all have wings and we all have Forever People to watch over ~ that’s YOU, mum!You’re my Forever Person and I’m your Forever Dog! We had such a great life together and I do miss you a LOT, but please know that I am so happy in my new home across The Bridge!
    When you miss me, think of a rainbow and know I’m on the other side of it, waiting to walk with you again. I’ll always be in your heart. I love you, mum! Time for me to go play.

42rl42s5zorc.jpeg

• 6cookys
    6cookys Posts: 242 Member
    Patsy our little dog just passed away from the same thing 7 weeks ago. I know how you feel and will think of you and you loss.
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    edited January 2016
    No matter the time,
    The age, circumstance,
    It always hurts
    TO LOSE A DOG
    you've loved....
    PATSY, all our hearts are with you and your small dear dysfunctional family! (Do you think you are different from the rest of us?)...Many hugs for you in your sadness!
    <3 Buzz

P.S. Please double click the pet sympathy .jpg below. I couldn't figure out how to include it in my post!
    bf
  • Chris, sorry about your dog as well. I know you had yours for a long time. Hugs
    Phoebe
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Oh Patsy sweetheart, I'm so sorry to read your heartbreaking news and am sending big hugs to you all.

9x82jmuj7g6a.jpg

<3 Jackie
  • linder4866
    Chris, sorry about your dog as well. I know you had yours for a long time. Hugs
    Phoebe

Chris, I add my condolences. These losses are so incredibly difficult.

Hugs.

Lin
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Patsy, no , I feel so sorry for you and hubby he may be gone but he will live in you heart forever. I know for I still carry my childhood dog Andy in my heart. Along with Angel, Smokie .ginger. Rusty. and my recent loss of Sammie a year ago. I Still grieve for all of them.

Chris so sorry. for your loss too.
    Marie
  • Sandydur
    edited January 2016
    Chris, so sorry about your loss, I know how much it hurts and wish I could take some of that pain away. Knowing that they are grateful we made the right decision helps, they are at peace.
    i94v1rohqd1v.jpg

Happy Friday! :) We are expecting some snow flurries but I hope not many so I can go get a mani/pedi. I am going to Indiana in the morning for my uncle's Mass so I hope the roads are good. I spent a long time on the phone with Sprint yesterday and got most of bill taken care of, but there is still an error which I will call about today. The promotion was to pay $50 for an early cancellation fee but they have $270 posted which is wrong. I just can't understand with today's high tech how it is so difficult to not fix these glitches, it is frustrating and stressful.

I am doing laundry, going to pay some bills and then I think I will pack an overnight bag just in case I stay at my cousins house too long. It is only a two hour drive so I really would like to get back home and sleep in my own bed but I will see.

Have a wonderful day, giving big hugs to Patsy and Chris, my heart breaks for the two of you.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
    Dog2.jpg 114.8K