Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Humongous plant, PATSY. I used to know the name, but it is fairly common and not too sensitive! It may go into shock, but I doubt you can kill it!!!
    Gorgeous Isaac, and I'm jealous!
    PHOEBE, I learned how to circle around in the elevator, back out of a narrow corridor, pull into a table, and pass the good old mental capacity tests again. She said I was the only one who ever
    got 100 on it! Lots of practice! So I got certified and I can drive to dinner now! SANDY, the warnings were just general alerts. I know how prepared you will always be!
    Must get a new phone/message system as Comcast says the problem with dropped calls is in my phones. Any recommendations for cordless brands? Must get ready to go down now. I finally
    reached 70 degrees.
    <3 Buzz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,148 Member
    :) The story with my legs is that there are no answers yet. I am taking Gabapentin for the pain and that's helping. The doctor said I could increase the dose gradually up to more than twice what I'm taking now. I saw the neurologist last week and he read over all the lab work that had come before and did few tests of his own and then sent me for more blood work that turned out to be a fasting test in which they took six large and four small vials of blood. That was Thursday morning and I haven't heard the results yet. So I am still walking and dancing and riding the exercise bike and teaching my line dance class but I don't feel comfortable the way I used to. I am so grateful that I am able to do all these things because so many others aren't.

<3 Barbie
  • Thanks for the update, Barbie. We are concerned about all this. I read somewhere about leg pain, restless etc. and they suggested a link with fybromyalgia. That's all I know about that!
    I forgot to mention Jim earlier. Thank the Lord, he doesn't have any disc issues requiring surgery. The Dr. Says its lots of the same as before, arthritis, degeneration. So he is on a prescription steroid for a week. Then if he feels good, great. If not, they try an injection. He needs to accept that it could happen again. He had been working outside the week before, cut wood with his saws, etc.
    Shirley, Isaac is so cute! He looks so pleased by his stand, I love it. <3

OK just watched last night's Downton episode. It's really dull. :neutral:
    Night all
    Phoebe
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,363 Member
    I watched the second episode of the new X-Files tonight. There are lots of little insider bits that refer back to the original series. I am not that interested in this series even though I always watched the original.

I am going to read now.

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    PHOEBE, my experience tells me that men simply do not want to accept that they are no longer 29! By the way, Restless Leg Syndrome research most often shows a dearth of Dopamine or a particular type of iron lacking in the are of the brain that also produces dopamine. We are hoping for something more definitive to come about in that field of research.
    BARBIE, I'm trying to figure out why you are on gabapentin. Isn't that a neurological medication? I know it's used for neuropathy and some doctors prescribe it for Restless Leg Syndrome, but it doesn't sound like you have either one of those. How wonderful that you can keep up your activities that mean so much to you! I do hope you find relief soon.
    <3 Buzz
  • Some kind of infection in my ear or bronchial. Headache, fever. Back to sleep.
    Phoebe
  • linder4866
    Some kind of infection in my ear or bronchial. Headache, fever. Back to sleep.
    Phoebe

Sorry you are ill Phoebe. Hope you are getting lots of rest.

Lin

• oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Oh Phoebe, take care my friend. John just got over an ear infection and he was miserable. He even had difficulty with dizziness, which I guess is common with ear infections. At any rate, a horrible trip to the DR. Might be in order. John often said he was too sick to go the DR. Not sure about that but do take care.
    Patsy

• fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,318 Member
    Phoebe - sorry to hear you aren't well.

Lin - I tried to watch the x files too, eventually changed channels.

So Buzz you are licensed now. Good for you.

I'm awfully sluggish today. Had a nap but am making supper now. Baked maple salmon, beets and potatoes. Trying beets in my IP. Let's see what kind of a mess I can make. LOL

Have a great evening.

Jeri

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,271 Member
    Happy Tuesday!! :) Typing that just reminded me it is garbage day and I have to take out the trash. Had a good night's sleep and a fun day with Robby. I even rode the bike while he took his nap. I posted a video on Facebook on how he can say all his cousin's names that are on my grandchildren wall including his sister, Bryanna. He is one smart little boy.

I am sorry to hear you are sick Phoebe, I do hope you get well fast. Patsy dizziness and headaches are Babe's worst symptoms, no doctor seems to be able to help him with either. He does have bone spurs in his neck, which I think is most of his problems.
    Lin I watched the first two episodes of X Files, jury is still out if I like it or not. I have scheduled it to be recorded so will get back to you. Buzz you sound like you are learning the new wheels just fine, I never had any doubt. Barbie as long as you can still dance and walk the dogs without severe pain, that is what matters. Getting older (although you are still young) is not for sissys.

Have a great evening and tomorrow I do not sit so will be able to post earlier.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Phoebe- Feel better soon! :|

Another gloomy rainy day and the snow is melting. We went for a walk around the hockey arena again
    and probably will do this until our vacation in February.

Tomorrow I will go to Yoga class and Dave will be painting our wall, the color is called green tea.
    A very soft color and nice. Finished laundry and did some cleaning upstairs today.

Other than that nothing else going on and I have choir practice tonight.

Kathy had Isaac to the doctor for his check up and he is a healthy little man.

Well dinner is ready better go. Have a good evening.

Shirley
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    phoebe hope you are feeling better Ear aches really can get you down.
    I have been readin a new book/ called the starch solution by John Mcdouall really given me a new outlook on life.
    I made a big pot of beans soup today.Now trying to figure what what it will be tomorow. I think this will save me a pile of Money . I only spent 35 dollars at the store. today.Besides the food taste fantastic.
    Marie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,148 Member
    :)Buzz,Gabapentin was prescribed by my primary care doctor for nerve pain.....the neurologist confirmed that it was a good choice and had wide uses. The pain in my legs is not muscle or joint. It has made a big difference in my ability to do things and has allowed me to cut way back on my use of ibuprofen

:)Phoebe, everything I've read about fibromyalgia lists muscle pain and fatigue as symptoms and neither of those are true for me.

:) This week I'm substituting for my friend teaching her low intermediate line dance class on Thursday. I filled in for her one day last month when she was ill, this time it's because she has out of town company coming to celebrate her husband's 70th birthday. I'll teach my Friday class as usual.
  • delraybuzz
    POOR DEAR PHOEBE! Sleep is a wonderful help, but don't ignore ears or bronchitis! Sending lots of love and best wishes for a quick relief!
  • delraybuzz
    I had to leave in the middle of my post earlier and just discovered it was still on my computer, never posted! Meantime lots of new things to read here.
    MARIE, if your Starch Solution is by Dr John MacDougall, I knew him in Hawaii! He published several books on food and had a large following and eventually moved to northern California, I think. It was a very healthy program. I'm wondering if it was similar to the Paleo Diet, simply because he advocated eating what you can grow, with no "manufactured" additives.
    BARBIE, your leg problem is quite a mystery! Let us know what they find as soon as you learn, OK?
    SANDY, You come through to me today as one happy lady! Funny how emotions seem to come right through the written word! I don't think I put 2+2 together until you mentioned Robby is Bryanna's brother! The I recalled her Dad remarried. It's always lovely when people find love again!
    Nice to see SHIRLEY is back at her exercises!
    JERI, maybe "sluggish" is telling you to nap? You are always on the go!
    LIN and PATSY, hi, gals, hope things are going smoothly for both of you today...
    I went to my monthly CareTakers meeting today and learned much about the Continuing Care
    aspect of where we live. One of the leaders recommended I consider putting Mike into the Assisted Living section , and I would remain in our apartment. She said experience shows we would both live longer doing so, and could prolong his remaining out of the Alzheimer unit by many years, and it might save my health, as well . I really don't know how to judge when he might be ready, but I see only resistance right now!
    <3 Buzz
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Good morning. Happy to finally be back in town. We had a wonderful time with friends in Utah this past week. But it was nice to wake up in my own bed this morning back in Georgia. Guess today will be spent catching up on laundry and getting life back in order at the house. Wishing everyone a wonderful rest of the week.

Phoebe - Hope you're feeling better.
    Marcella
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,271 Member
    Happy Wednesday!! :) Made up for lost sleep this morning slept over 8 hours. Bingo tonight, maybe my uncle Joe will help me out a little bit. :) My rotator cuff is bothering me again, I am going to call to see if I can get another cortisone shot and start doing some of my exercises.
    I only have two weeks left before I start sitting 5 days a week so have to get all my doctor's appointments in before then. Babe is stopping by this afternoon with some supplies for me, he must be feeling better.

Not much new other than that except I am losing a little weight and try to ride my bike for at least an hour a day. I am hoping to reach my goal by my birthday in March.

Have a great day everyone.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Sandy - Good luck with bike and losing, its always a battle. I do had a down scale this morning so i
    was happy to see it going in the right direction. Good luck with bingo, may your uncle be on your
    shoulder. :)

Marcella - Glad to see you back and you had a good time with friends.

Buzz - A very difficult decision to make about Mike. Maybe a good one in the long run, but hope you
    two can live apart, that is the reality. Good luck to you and Mike on this.

Barbie - I am happy to hear your condition is not stopping you from doing your dancing, that would be
    hard for you to give up especially since you love it so much. Just keep on keepin on!

Painting our wall is done but Dave decided to give it another coat so it lasts longer.

Errands and a trip to Walmart is my day. I stopped by to see my M-I-L but her car wasn't there so
    the extra muffin and coffee came home to Dave.

Have a good day my friends,

Shirley
  • delraybuzz
    Thanks, SHIRLEY, it's the most difficult thing I have to try thinking about! I feel it will kill him, but they tell me he will fare very well once he's used to it. I just can't believe it! He appears so normal most of the time, yet I find his memory far worse than I suspected. I think it's called denial, but he really covers it so well. Well, it's almost 2 PM and I haven't taken time for breakfast, even! So I'd better get a bite.
    <3 Buzz
  • linder4866
    Hello - Buzz, a friend of mine has been facing some thorny issues. Her husband needed not just Assisted Living but needed a memory unit and nursing home care while at the time (a couple of years ago), she was in an independent living apartment. The care staff found her presence actually agitated him and he did better with short visits from her and was apparently happy. My friend wanted a big anniversary party last fall and care staff said it would be too hard for him to try to cope with a big crowd. Meanwhile, her Parkinson's has worsened to the point that she now needs nursing home care and she wants to be in the same room as her husband while from what everyone understands her visits still agitate him. Couple that with the issue that she really is no longer capable of making decisions due to the intense ups and downs that the Parkinson's is apparently provoking in her. So tough that the facility has told her family that he does better in his own room and she is now unhappy that she cannot be in a room with him. These decisions are just so extremely difficult. Her children are trying to cope and provide the best for each of them but there really are no clear cut solutions. I feel so bad for all that you have to face each day.

Hugs to all my friends.

Lin