Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• 6cookys
    6cookys Posts: 242 Member
    Good morning friends , what a lovely day today.
    Our day may go like this, our daughter is meeting us for breakfast, we will have great visit as usual.
    All 3 of us will run some errands.
    When we get home DD and I will probably sew while DH watches tv.
    Afternoon both DH and I will clean house and do laundry together, as we are having 4 people over tomorrow for dinner.

Then exercise time.

Marcella, lovely pictures
    Marie, you are doing so well with your diet, and you are a lovely perdon.
    Sandy, you are so busy and that's great. Wow, 5 days babysitting would be to much for me, but great that you are looking forward to it.

Barbie you sound busy this week.

OK daughter here, have a lovely day.
    Chris
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,271 Member
    Happy Friday!! :) I have an appointment for my yearly wellness exam this afternoon. I will also request blood work which has to be prescribed by the doctor for Medicare to pay, which means I will have to go back another day. Why can't they just schedule the blood work with the exam, doesn't make any sense to me. Next week the dentist and a mammogram and that should be it for my doctor's visits, at least I hope so. I would like to have a stress test for my heart just as a precaution but not sure if she will prescribe that or not. Trying to stay healthy is not easy with all the new medicare rules.

Chris, sounds like you have a great day planned, enjoy your time with your daughter. I wouldn't say I am looking forward to 5 days of sitting but since her parents are leaving for Florida I am the only one available. I keep telling myself there is a light at the end of the tunnel since this is her last year of teaching. School gets out the end of May, so I am like all the kids who are counting down the days. LOL

Marie, 75 degrees?? Can I come visit you???

Anne, is that your son's cute puppy? He is darling even if a trouble maker.

Marcella, I agree with Lin, the pictures are great!! Must have been a cold ride!!

Patsy, the decision for a new dog takes time, you need some grieving time but when you are ready I think MoMo will be happy with a new playmate, maybe even two. :p

Barbie, since I do want a Church service I thought it would be easier for my kids if I had it handled for them but not sure that is what they want me to do, so still thinking.

Lin, I did stop by Aldi's yesterday and I was a little disappointed. The store was kind of small and they didn't have the frozen dinners I usually buy at Walmart. I bought a few items and was amazed at how cheap it was but would have liked if they carried my usual groceries. This might just be a small store maybe others are bigger and have more items.

Buzz, yes I am being cremated and have a niche in the wall where my sister's ashes are. Since my kids are mostly out of town I thought Neptune would be easier for them to make all the arrangements including the Church Service. I think I will make an appointment with them and see what they offer but my kids seem to feel they can handle everything, although two of them didn't respond which I think means they don't want to talk about my leaving them.

Jeri, another beautiful picture, you have a talent for capturing beautiful scenery.

Time to eat, since I can't have blood work today.
    Have a great day,
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Yes Sandy that's the trouble maker, our little doggie girl Cinders. She was a year old last week. She's so black though, it's hard to see her sparkly eyes in a photo.
    Well, I went out today to buy some grippy slippers after the trip in my socks, and maybe a new iPad but....... True to form I did buy the slippers but.... bought a leather armchair instead of an iPad! This is quite normal for me, doing the unexpected. My present chair is getting battered, so I couldn't resist this ultra modern chair made in Quebec! I have to wait 8 weeks though for delivery. Fortunately, WHEN I do my taxes the government should owe me half the price! At the moment my present chair is draped in my leather coat to get an idea of what it will look like and I think it will look good!
    Anne
  • Soup in IP, laundry laundering, time to refill medications for travel.
    Back later. Marie, good for you!!
    Phoebe
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Well finally got to read about everyone's days and as usual we are a busy bunch. :D
    I wouldn't want it any other way.

Lin thanks for noticing how Isaac is growing. Yes... he is getting taller every day but hasn't
    gained any weight lately since he is crawling and standing now. He thinks he is such a big boy.
    We see him on Monday, I can't wait to hold him.

Buzz I remember when my Dad was in the nursing home, he started out in the nursing home
    section until they found him in the parking lot and he didn't know where he was. So alas he ended up
    in the Alzheimer's section. Family members used to say, "why he is in here he seems fine" until you
    spent some time with him and see why he was in there. I don't know what to say to make this any
    more comfortable for you but time will tell and eventually you will make the right decision. It just
    takes someone to help you with the decision.

Jeri- So nice to hear your sister is doing better and what a relief for you. Your picture was
    amazing.

Anne I didn't know you had a fall, sorry to hear about this. Cinders is such a cutie!!

By the way if anyone is interested, I have a book I borrowed to read and it is called OLD FAITHFUL
    and you can get it on Amazon. It is about old dogs and their owners and their stories. It makes you
    smile and laugh at some of the stories. Beautiful pictures of the dogs too.

Phoebe You seem busy since you have been home. You must be getting a lot done.

MarcellaThose pictures from Utah are lovely and it looks like fun.

PatsyLosing a dog takes a lot time to get over. Before you get another one, remember that
    they live to be 12 to 14 years old.

You made me think about burial arrangements, I know we are only 65 and 66 but you never know what
    life brings. By the way, I am the older one, ;)

Yesterday I had lunch with my friend Donna at Panera Bread. It so nice we get together at least once
    a month but we email everyday. I have known her since I was 7 and she was 9.

If I missed anyone, I will catch you next time. Now time for meditation.

Shirley
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,363 Member
    Trying to type this out on my iPad and I normally have lots more typos!!

Sandy, I believe the way Aldi's keeps prices very low is to limit the brands and number of unique items in their stores. Inhabe mostly focused on reduce and frozen vegetables. Sorry you weren't that happy with the selection. I have also found quality varies greatly between stores.

Anne, wow, a new chair. That is very different than a new iPad but if you saw something that you liked that is the time to get it!! I had to wait weeks last year when I purchased my comfy chair. It will feel like a long wait!!

Phoebe, back on the road again soon. I hope that means you and Jim are feeling better.

Shirley, lovely that you got together with your friend. My goodness, you have been friends for oh so long!! That is wonderful.

Barbie, thank you for the information on how you are working with one car. It sounds like it is a great solution for you. I love that!

Chris, another busy day for you. You get so much accomplished with your sewing. I hope you enjoy your company tomorrow evening.

Marie, your weather sounds fabulous. We had some sunshine today and some snow melted but it was breezy so still a bit colder than it would have been if there was no wind. Lots of discussion already about the storm expected here on Tuesday. Six plus inches and lots of wind?? I guess we'll wait and see.

Anyone else receiving their tax documents slowly?? It is almost the end of January and I am missing several vital 1099s. I heard from my health insurance company and they said they will not have proof of coverage for last year out until March 30th. Lovely. That's pretty close to filing date so I hope they are 100% accurate and show I did have coverage all year long.

I got a pair of boots that I ordered and am now walking around the house breaking them in.

Hugs to all.

Lin
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,148 Member
    When my mother died, she had not made any plan at all for her burial, etc. except that she owned the large cemetery plot where my father and sister had been buried and I knew that she wanted to have some sort of service that people would attend. I had to pay for the arrangements myself along with trying to figure out what she would have wanted.

Jake and I made our final plans and paid for all the arrangements when were in our 50's so our family members wouldn't be faced with decisions and costs. When we moved from California to Washington, we transferred ownership of the remainder of the cemetery plot to Jake's son and got our money back on the burial service. Up here we decided to pay for cremation and leave instructions that we wanted no services and no events. We don't attend funerals and we don't want to have some event for others to attend. Also we didn't want to put family members in the expensive and awkward position of deciding whether they wanted to travel a long way to honor us.
  • Yes, Lin. The tax stuff is behind but we got our w-2's today! Hope they get it all mailed.
    To bed I go, much left for the morning.
    Phoebe
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Hello dear sneakers! i must confess this current discussion on end of life plans is fascinating. It really is a microcosm of cultural and religious backgrounds. We come from a non-practicing Catholic Irish family. My dad, as I mentioned before, wanted a big party. He was a great guy! He said he wanted to buy a great bunch of red roses and give every lady a rose as a symbol of a kiss from him. There was music, dancing, food, and a lot of alcohol. My mothers service was sweet. Lots of family and friends. There was music, food and her request was that everyone who wanted it should have a copy of her cookbook. The food was all special receipes of hers. There was the usual, lots of stories and jokes about family. In a way, it was very traditionally Irish. My brothers service was similar but each of these family members had set aside money and little note on what they desired. We all gathered together, some traveled clear across the country. It seems to be what we as a family do. It isn't for everyone. We get that! But for us it feels right.
    Patsy
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    PATSY, I love a big old fashioned Irish wake! They really area celebration of life. Our family is so scattered now, we really want no fuss when we die. Visits while we are alive to appreciate them would make us happy.
    Saw Walk in the Woods today, about Bill Bryson, with Robert Redford (wish he hadn't done that face-lift thing!) and Nick Nolte. What a hoot!
    My left knee seemed much better today, so my hopes are way up for going back to just my walker.
    LIN, we won't be getting most of our 1099s until March, but our accountant somehow always finishes it by April 15. I've stopped worrying! Almost 1/2 of our maintenance is tax deductible our taxes are very much down! If you ever decide to go into "independent Living, Lifetime Continuing Care", always ask about deductability! It will be many years for a lot of you, since most of you are my kids ages! Shirley is the same age as my eldest DD!
    Everyone has remarked on my hair, which is growing like wildfire! If I can, I'll include it.
    I think I'm coming down with either a sore throat or a cold...or both, so I'm getting to bed before commenting on all of you, but I have read every post today, seen the lovely pictures, and enjoyed you all. But every time I cough I pee, so I can't sit here any longer!
    <3 Buzz
  • delraybuzz
    edited January 2016
    <3 Buzz
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Wowzer! Buzz you look pretty darn glamorous! I have a hair appointment next week. I always tell them to cut it long and blonde. They never do as I tell them. It is always short and salt and pepper.
    Patsy
  • linder4866
    Becky, I don't know if you stop by to read this thread but if so
    460070o5705ra39i.gif

Lin
  • linder4866
    Our family had large funerals with visitation, services at the church, graveside, luncheon afterwards but that was when there were living family members. That is not the case now and my dad's funeral was tiny. My grandparents, my parents, and my mom's sister are all buried in a family plot. I've known since I was a child that I have the last plot. Since I have no family whatsoever, I've requested no service. It will be quite expensive to be transported and buried there. I've looked into purchasing services but there is no guarantee. If the funeral home or the cemetery changes hands or goes out of business my $$ would be at risk. So I've done nothing. A thorny issue for me.

Now that I'm morose, I'll move on.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,271 Member
    Happy Saturday!! :) It is supposed to get up to 45 degrees today although I have no plans.
    I got my wellness exam as it is known now along with a flu and pneumonia shot. I also got a chest ex ray as I get this pain I can't explain. She assured me it wasn't my heart so no stress test is needed. The ex-ray is normal so I am not sure what is causing the pain. It is mild but annoying. She told me I could have fasted if I wanted but instead I have blood work on Wednesday before my dentist appointment. Next Friday for the mammogram where I will once again tell them about the pain that comes and goes. My doctor also told me to check with Walgreens for the shingles shot, she said they are covered by some insurances.

dygc9z1tz77f.gif
    Sorry to be late!!

Patsy, I try that with my hair as well, but I never leave with long hair. :D Most of the time after funerals in our family they also go back to the house after the luncheon and continue with the celebration of life of the deceased. It is just a tradition that has been followed for years.

Buzz, you hair looks great, can you manage with it longer? I hope you are feeling better today after a good night's sleep.

Lin, things were different when we were kids, my goodness the wake was for three days years ago. Cutting it down to one was a culture shock for some family members. In today's world I think a lot of people are trying to cut costs and leaning toward cremation. I have a plot next to Babe but due to circumstances I have opted not to go there and have decided on cremation to be with my sister. The Neptune Society might be something you might look into, since they handle everything.

Phoebe, getting ready to roll on Monday? I hope both you and Jim are feeling up to the long haul again.

Barbie, it is hard when family members live out of state but I know they will want to be here so I am trying to make it as easy as possible. They might have other ideas so I am sure we will discuss it and work it all out so none of us has to worry.

Shirley, how great is your friendship with your friend Donna, so many years and so many memories.

Anne, your new chair sounds great, make sure you take a picture when it arrives.

Time is whizzing by and I haven't eaten yet.
    Have a great day!

Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• I can't remember Becky. But hope she had a fun birthday.
    We are back to work, pretty day.
    Phoebe
  • linder4866
    Becky played the word games more than anything.

I checked, I am #79 on the library list for "Walk in the Woods"--it will be a while before I see that.

Watching last episodes that I can fit in of Dr. Who before it leaves Netflix. I don't have BBC America on my cable TV subscription so just saying good-bye to the series for now.

Busy church day tomorrow. Hugs.

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    Spent a "sick day" sleeping through our Jesse Stone Netflix movie and whatever else Mike was watching. Feeling feverish, I decided to not go downstairs, use whatever I have here in the house, curl up and just do whatever my body says. I barely recall Becky, but I believe I was quite fond of her, so
    BECKY, a belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
    I cannot concentrate so I will get to bed now! Ribs hurt from coughing,...... Ricola cough drops are making a fortune on me today, but they do help!
  • linder4866
    Oh Buzz, please get more rest. I hope you feel a bit better tomorrow.

Lin
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Yes Buzz you very much looks like a glamour puss Take care and get lots of rest/

We been out of town today.alice and I For alisure road trip/. for it was just a beautiful and warm day today Too nice to stay indoor.But now ready for bed.
    Good night all.

_M