Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    I must be losing it, I swore I checked today but I guess I didn't! Will be back in the morning.
    Sandy
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hello sneakers. The power company shut off my electricity twice yesterday to do repairs somewhere and that in turn messed up my broadband connection. It meant I had to sit quietly and reset the router box then wait for all the lights to come back on! Luckily I had a hair appointment so was away a few hours and not left in the dark.... it was a gloomy day weatherwise. This morning I met up with friends for our weekly swim to be told by the receptionist that their boiler was broken so the pool water was too cold, never mind the showers! Brrr.... maybe in the summer but not today! A dear friend phoned when I got home who lives about 40 miles away and after a long catch up chat we've promised to arrange a lunch halfway once the weather improves. He was responding to my note in his Christmas card that we had planned to do this 2 years ago!

Buzz ~ Good girl!! It can't be easy with so many temptations within touching distance. I know I'd struggle. Is that total body workout a daily event? If so I imagine your extra weight will fall away in no time which will certainly make walking more comfortable. Big hugs of encouragement from me! <3

Lin ~ Very wise to stay at home when the ground is so icy. Sounds as if you had a wonderfully creative day, the sort I love once I get going. A few years ago I used to read every new Patricia Cornwell novel and you've reminded me so I must look out for the latest and get back into reading hers.

Sandy ~ Barbie's post reminded me that you used to ride your bike every day so perhaps it's time to get back to that routine unless it's hurting. That "roll on" comment is a funny little saying we have when we want a certain day, time or event to arrive quickly.... a sort of move it on up or let the days speed by. Is that helping or making things worse?? :s

Certainly quiet on the forum these days but I'm guessing everyone is getting into New Year activities. Next week I'm off to our Lake District with a carload of friends for a spa break so must start to plan what I need to take since it will probably be a lot colder there than at home but because we will travel in a Ford Fiesta there won't be much room for luggage once the 4 of us are seated so perhaps I'll wear layers of warm clothes rather than try to pack them!!

Time for my lunch then another walk with George before the yoga class.

Jackie
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,136 Member
    Options
    Good morning, we still have patches of ice but I plan to make an attempt to get to Mah Jongg this morning. If it is too slick I will turn around and go back home with a text to the group. I see many activities are running a few hours late today. Hummmmm.

Good to hear from you Jackie! It is quiet here in Sneakerland these days. Sorry the power was out but glad you were not there during part of that time. It takes a very long time for my modem and router to reset as well. We had a power outage last Tuesday while I was away from home and all was reset by the time I returned home. Wahoo, a spa trip. That sounds like a lovely time. And so deserved.

My iPad keyboard is not responding well so I think I will try to post now.

Wishing everyone well. Hugs.

Lin

P.S. Go go go Buzz!!!
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Good morning B)
    The last 2 days have found me in super cleaning mode! Maybe it was the the cold temperatures and snow followed by 70F warm weather a week later. My body may have thought it was suddenly Spring! Unfortunately, I haven't been as amazing in the kitchen. So after a couple of weeks of my weight going down, it's suddenly creeping back up. Today, I will take the necessary steps to put a stop to that! At least the kitchen is super clean and organized and ready for me to enter and cook some healthy meals.
    Marcella
  • Sandydur
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! :) Because of my car situation I guess I forgot to post here yesterday. I called Ford in the morning and brought my car in the afternoon. If you are on Facebook you read how upset I was that they wanted to charge me a diagnostic charge to see why my engine light was on so I sort of made a small scene telling them I should have never bought a Ford and other things. To make a long story short they called and found the problem was from my emissions transmission which was covered in a letter I received that said if this problem happened they extended the warranty on it for ten years. Bottom line is they fixed my car for free and did not charge for diagnostic test. However, they said I needed a new battery so I did have them install one since Babe said he would pay for it. Ford woke me this morning and said car was done and they are sending a driver to pick me up. Fastest I got ready in a long time. lol

Yes, the sneakers seem to be fading, I hope no one is offended for any reason and if it is my long rambling posts please tell me.

Barbie, an hour a day is about all I can ride my bike, although last night I got back on for another 30 minutes.

Marcella, cleaning is good, you will be ahead of the game when Spring does finally come.

Lin, we had a storm last night, the rain was really coming down along with some thunder.
    I hope you ice melts soon, you also need some rain to clear the snow and ice. Enjoy your Mah Jongg class, I do hope you were able to get there.

Jackie, I am back to riding my bike everyday or at least trying. I get frustrated when I watch what I eat, ride the bike and still don't lose pounds but I am determined to lose some weight for my vacations in April and May. Enjoy that spa, I would love to go with you.

Buzz, I think our group is dwindling, but hopefully we diehards will remain to encourage each other as always. You are doing a wonderful job with taking care of you, I am so happy for you.
    Are you walking with the walker on on your own? Keep up the good work, it will pay off in the end.

Marie, I am glad Missy is coming around, sorry the storm upset her. You are back to cooking so you must feel good. I am happy about that.

Have wonderful day and keep healthy, wealthy and wise and wealthy means good friends.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    I'm on my way down to dinner, but no way are any of you responsible for other members going elsewhere, especially you, SANDY, or I hope not my occasional whining! I think of you all as my "other"family, so please stay connected!
    Today I did a class, attended a woman to woman discussion, and then tried the Nustep for 10 minutes at 500 steps. Perhaps I'll eventually reach 10,000??? I'll be 98 by then!
    I'll try to return later. Love you gals!
    <3 Buzz
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,136 Member
    Options
    Hi - made it safely to Mah Jongg!! Plan to go to Tai Chi/Qigong early tomorrow and then to color a bit with the ladies and a few errands. Should be a full day.

Buzz, good for you. Excellent day. There are several NuStep machines at the senior center. I like them but they are usually in use---too popular.

Sandy, glad you have the car straightened out. So many things get fouled up for me these days and I am afraid some of it may be my fault. But you know, not everything. My handyman was here and swears he didn't do the caulking in my driveway. I am certain a few years ago he had a summer helper and he had that kid do the caulking out in the heat and I thought the kid would melt. Now he says I am wrong. He also says my driveway has been replaced. Folks I have lived here since 1995 and I have NOT replaced my driveway. I would find it odd that a house built in 1990 would have had a driveway replaced before 1995. Now I am old and people insist I am mistaken.

Oh well, I must be on guard!!

See you at some point tomorrow.

Lin

Hey Marie, how's Missy?
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Hi All.

Sorry I've been missing. Buzz, Lin and Marie. Glad you were holding my place

Busy day here, drove Mary to kindergarten and then had a doctor appointment for my acid reflux. Still driving me crazy but I'm gradually working out a plan to manage it. Long. Long way to go tho. And it maybe something that has to be solved by some other means than the meds I am on.

Going up to Edmonton for a couple of days. Going to a cousin's funeral. He was 70 so too young for that.

Buzz - I agree with you about the movie. Wouldn't have been my choice either. Good for you with thebTotal Body Workout. Impressive.

Marie - your baked apples sound delicious. YUm. Glad to hear Missy is warming up to you. We got a dog once from The Denver Dumb Friends League, a place that handled unwanted animals. At first Nugget never made a sound and that was for quite some time. Then she barked at something and never looked back. So sorry when we lost her a number of years ago. I still miss her.

LIn - sorry about your friend.

Wondering where everyone is as well. Busy like me probably.

Love to all,

Jeri
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I missed the second page of comments so didn't see the other comments

SANDY, Buzz is right there is no blame to anyone involved. We are all good friends who can share our world and what is happening. Sandy you are an amazing leader here. I want you to know that!!!!!
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    She sure is Jeri/ you all are.
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    So today was all about the bedroom. It's all super cleaned, dusted and arranged. I keep going through things and getting rid of stuff. The more I get rid of, the simpler life is and the more enjoyable it is to get up in the mornings. Did have one little problem. I decided to move the bed so that I could super vacuum in those spots that are difficult to get to and the bed broke. It's a 30 year old bedroom suite so I must say I was kind of happy that it broke. I assured my husband that I didn't do it on purpose. But I also assured him I was ready for some new bedroom furniture any way. :o I think the cats are enjoying the mattress and box spring sitting right on the floor because it's easier for them to get on the bed. The kitties probably think I did this just for them. <3

Sounds like everyone in our group is pretty busy as this 2017 year gets started. So wishing everyone a wonderful rest of the week. Right now, I'm taking my tired self to bed and getting some sleep.
    Marcella
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, LIN, I just ran into that same denial of something you are certain is either true or untrue. Of course you know whether or not your driveway was replaced! In my case, I was recalling a horrific blizzard on the night of Mike's daughter's debut at Carnegie Hall. We felt so bad about the weather that we drove into Manhattan, found a parking garage that charged us $35 for the 3 hours. and ended up being the only ones in the audience. Felt terrible that not one critic from the press was there, but the blizzard WAS huge, and only a father would attempt to go! So today, recalling that night to my step-daughter, she said outright it never happened; that Mike and I never came in due to fewer trains running and the concert was a huge success! Huh? Did I dream the entire thing? No point in arguing about my memory because it's more important to remain as close as his kids will allow. After 39 years, they still sometimes see me as the stranger in Daddy's life, but really, we have a decent relationship. By the way, despite your relative youth, you'd fit in here nicely since on the roster today was (aside from 4 different exercise classes) Tai Chi, coloring group, painting class, and a jewelry making class! The Women to Woman Group is seeking discussion subjects, and today we explored friendships. After that meeting ended, I sat at the pool for 35 minutes, soaking up some natural Vitamin D! Mm, did that feel good, yet I haven't sat there in ages!
    JERI, bless your dear heart! Of course your family requires lots of your generous care and attention, and we all love to see you when you are able! Sympathy extended for your young cousin, I agree, 70 is the new 55! I also agree with you and dear MARIE, that she is an inspiration to us all, as is our originator, MARIE! Most of our members are really pretty unusual people! MARCELLA, please DO catch that couple of pounds quickly. I know how fast they pile up, and I'd hate for you to follow in my footsteps, to where I should set my goal at 40 or 50 pounds, and then get serious! I'll support your decision as long as you share your struggle with us! By the way, I envy your cleaning ability! (I just lost my thinking trend but it's way past my new bedtime!)
    Did I not mention SANDY? without whom we would not exist? SANDY, we love your openness and frankness, and wonderful ability to cope with most everything life throws at you and you come out shining clean, gracious and beautiful!
    And JACKIE...there are no words to define your virtues, abilities, talents and WARMTH! You are always right there (and here) supporting all of life's living creatures including us! And sharing your adventures for our imagination to run with, on your moors and everywhere else that feels like a fairy-tale for us on this side of the puddle!
    Has anyone heard from PATSY lately? I hope all is well up there, and let us know, OK? Miss you, dear!
    Good night, and thank you all for sticking together, and that includes everyone I haven't mentioned due to my "senior moments"! BIG HUGS TO ALL!
    <3 Buzz
    3el6mvyrdq2t.jpg

• Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Heading for yoga this morning, we spent Monday and Tuesday at Isaac's house. He had his first swim lesson on Monday night and loved it! He is so sweet and very busy and wearing out Gaga and Gagee.
    That's our new names for grandma and grandpa. I will return I still have to brush my teeth before yoga and I will finish reading your comments.

Buzz- Hip Hooray! so happy to hear you are doing some activities again. It will help in all aspects of your health if you keep it up.

Will return.

Shirley
  • Sandydur
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! :) I am getting a little frustrated with not losing weight but gaining and I am watching my calories and trying to ride the bike every day. For now I will say it is muscle but I do hope my weight goes down in the near future. Remember when we were young and could eat anything and never gain a pound? I ate big macs, french fries, shakes etc and always stayed the same until that dreaded age of 30 when things went sideways. Of course having children didn't help my weight but with four kids I was always active. I will not give up and one day I will make that goal weight I have been so desperately trying to do. o:)
    Going to go to bingo tonight even though I have been saving so much money not going. I told my friend I will go but not more than once a month. The drive is far and I just enjoy being home at night.

Shirley, I am more than impressed Isaac is taking swim lessons. what a great idea. Is he potty training yet? Robby is doing good, fell a little backwards with the new baby but for his age I think he is doing fine. They still use diapers when out of the house just to be safe. Gaga an Gagee is catching, maybe when he is older you will be Lady Gaga! lol

Buzz, I love your new attitude and new way of life, you are an inspiration to all of us. I don't always cope well but I really try to let things go and take care of myself. Life is too short!! It is odd that you and Mike's daughter have different memories of your experience but you are right in letting it go as not to cause any issues. ( Could it have been a dream?)

Marcella, sneaky way to get a new bedroom set. ;) Good luck on the new purchase. In the meantime your kitties are happy campers!!

Jeri, sorry about your cousin, much too young. Also sorry to read that you are still suffering with acid reflux, have you gone for a second opinion?

Lin, I think we all have been in a situation where we think we are losing our minds when people don't remember what we remember!! I am sure your handyman is confusing your house with another house but refuses to admit he is wrong.

Marie, how is our newest fur baby doing? Is she starting to bond with you?

Jackie, hope all is well with you and you are enjoying the outdoors, weather permitting.

Have a wonderful day!!

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Missy is doing great. But still a long way to go. I love her more and more new day.Its rainy today as it has for the last few days. . Gonna get my hair cut today. right now I need to go and fix my lunch
    Marie
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Hello Ladies, I'm just back from dropping my car at the local garage for 2 new tyres and a headlamp and having taken George with me we walked to my friend's house for a cup of tea while the work was carried out. This morning was a quick step out across the moors where patches of frost showed us what a cold night it had turned out to be and now a pink sky is floating overhead to herald another nice day tomorrow. Right now I must get my fire lit and decide on a meal for the evening, probably pasta since I picked up fresh salad items from the local farm shop.

Wanted to write before I go Buzz and Lin, don't ever assume just because anyone is younger that their memory is better. One of my neighbours is nearly 20 years younger but her memory is appalling so she sometimes has me frowning as I try to work out what past event she's talking about or remembering a plan she says she made for us. My memory isn't always great but that's more to do with short term when I'm just not concentrating. Your story Buzz is far too exciting with so much detail it surely wouldn't be a dream and Lin who's to say your handyman can truly remember every job on every property for the past 20 years?

I'm off as my feet are getting cold and needing that fire lit! Hello to everyone. <3
    Jackie
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Back from yoga and since I am only doing it twice a week now I am stiff and my knee gets in the way of different poses but still at it to keep my flexiability. I am still doing aqua fit twice a week and that seems to help my knee quite a bit. I visited with my MIL and brought her a donut since she is down to 103 pounds and getting over a cold. She looks a little pale but I hope its just the cold and cough. She was checked out by the nurse at her apt. and its not in her lungs which is good.

Sandy - Kathy has a potty for Isaac but they are not seriously potting training yet just getting him used to it. They use swimming diapers for the kids who are not trained yet. Glad to hear your car is back to working order.

Marie - Sorry you are having trouble seeing again. Type when you can always nice to hear about Missy.

Marcella - A new bedroom suite would be wonderful. Our suite is used from a friend of mine who sold it to me and its large and heavy. Good luck on the new purchase, and you kitties are loving the mattress. :p

Buzz- Don't worry about you memory, I started a new app called Word Trek to keep my brain sharp.
    I was going gang busters on it and then it started to get harder. I let my MIL do a few and she got me
    through a Quest for extra points and did some of of the original puzzles and loved it. Not remembering things that happen everyone goes through that. Events that happen sometimes I can't remember and I am much younger than you.

Jackie - Stay warm, your weather is much colder than ours. We are getting temperatures in the 40'sF.
    starting next week and there is so much sickness around from this weather. Today rain and gloomy
    skies so looking forward to some sun.

Jeri - Sorry to hear about your cousin, yes.. too young. Hope you feel better soon.

Today I am making a recipe from Pinterest, apples and pork chops in the slow cooker.

Shirley
  • Shirley61
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Isaac and grandma playing blocks

gxwsd0uznlc7.jpg

Shirley

• pinkperil
    Options
    Good morning and a beautiful one it is here in Cornwall. The ground is frozen and George was able to walk across the large pools and puddles on the moors as they were frozen but now the sun is beginning to climb higher across the horizon each day giving us some extra warmth it makes for a wonderful stroll. When we got back to the car park where we have a view across to the next county of Devon we stood and took in the hills of Dartmoor national park and felt we could almost see the individual heather plants that spread a purple hue across the scene. Unfortunately I hadn't taken my camera with me but will try to remember tomorrow.... bet the weather changes by then!

It's that time to muck the chooks out again so I'm finishing a mug of steaming coffee before starting that job, then I will probably take the car to town and put it through a car wash since it now has a layer of moorland mud splattered across both sides.

Shirley ~ That's such a gorgeous photo, all comfy and cosy! After my yoga class on Tuesday I promised myself I'd do more exercises at home because it takes half the session before my muscles begin to cope with the stretching and at night in bed I'm suffering lots of aches if I don't take painkillers which seems silly. We've not been able to swim for the past couple of weeks either what with school galas and a broken boiler and I certainly miss that form of exercise. As we get older I think it's just a case of keep moving and that includes the brain!

Marie ~ How lovely that Missy is settling in now and I'm sure appreciating all that love you give her. She's a terrific addition to your family!

Sandy ~ I too remember those days when I could eat almost anything and not gain weight even sitting in an office all day then one day in my early 50's I had a small operation and was weighed at the hospital and think I screamed when I was told my weight which was nearly 30 lbs heavier than I am now! In the previous year it had crept on without me noticing. It's fluctuated ever since when I don't keep a strict eye on what I'm eating. Here's a photo of me with my mum back in the late 70's around my 30th birthday.... don't think I'll ever be that slim again!! (I loved that handbag with its wooden handle!!)
    mrg5yi05d3al.jpg

Coffee finished, the sun is still shining so the temperature should have lifted above freezing and I must get that hen house cleaned so I'll wish you all a pleasant Thursday and interesting Friday.... can't think of another adjective!!

Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Thursday! :) Well I won $50 at bingo so they are trying to talk me into coming back next week, we shall see!!! Meeting and errand day but the weather is fairly nice with temps in the 30's, not bad for January.

Jackie, you are still as pretty as you were in this picture!! You were indeed slim but weren't we all at that age? Your mum as you call her, was also very thin, you must have her genes.

Shirley, wonderful picture of you and Isaac. I love this age when they can talk and play, they are so innocent. When I ask Robby how old I am, he responds with 74.....you are old!! It is my own fault since I told him that and he remembers everything!!! lol

Marie, hope you like your haircut and the rain has stopped. I am so happy things are working out with Missy and can't wait for the day she jumps on your lap. lol

Lin, you must be out and about this morning, hope to hear from you later.

Enjoy your day and keep up with the healthy living!!

Sandy
    One Day at a Time