Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    By the way, trying to figure out how to navigate Facebook again...without being overwhelmed! I really don't find it user-friendly! Keep losing my goals :s
    <3 Buzz
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    My kitchen is almost finished apart from one small mucky corner that requires me getting on my knees and crawling under a counter space so saving that for tomorrow! I always use breathable, odour free paint which is easy to use without causing irritation. It's a glorious day after a grey start so I'm now enjoying my garden with so much weeding to be done. A quick look into my beehive has shown plenty of honey being produced so a dash up the garden to a store box where I keep the wax frames they use has now given them more space in which to work. Only one bee took umbrage and "pinged" me a few times but I had shut George in the cottage just in case! He's a lot better today.... no more washing required!

I hope everyone enjoys similar good weather today.
    Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,120 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday! :) Running behind and have to get ready for my meeting. Errands after that and then to sit for the boys so parents can play volleyball. Not sure I will get back here so have a wonderful day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacean2017
    jacean2017 Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I am the bearer of very good news!

Do you remember the tiny chihuahua that was stolen from its garden a few weeks ago. Well everyone has been keeping an eye out for it and yesterday a neighbour spotted a man with a familiar looking chihuahua on a leash. He called the little dogs name and she tried to run to him. The dog stealer dropped the leash and ran away. So the little one is back home. Isn't that the best of news!

Michael came over to help out with my groceries today before going into work for his 1:00 shift. This is because he's met a lady the same age as himself and they are going out for lunch tomorrow, her treat this time! She lives in another town. I'm so pleased and hope it works out for him in the end. I think, even though I'm prejudiced, that he is a really nice man who was dealt a bad hand. We should all have a partner as we age, even if it's a Jilly Bean!

Anne.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,176 Member
    Options
    Oh yes Anne, I remember that little dog. I am sooooo glad she is back home again. That is wonderful!! I hope your son has found a lovely lady and all will work out for the best.

Sandy, on the go again! See you soon.

Jackie, finding odor free paint is wonderful. I have friends who have painted since we switched to low VOC paints and they complain that it does not cover as well as the old stinky and toxic paint. I hope you are pleased with the color!! Did you find out what happened to your neighbor? My friend's son has several hives and she showed us a photo of him at his hives. He is head to toe in beekeeper gear. He will not go near a hive without all the protective gear. I don't think he could get pinged!!

Buzz, I hope you can find your way around Facebook. I didn't know you had an account!

I went to a sale at a huge church near me and made a little purchase today. I just liked it for some reason. I know nothing about it. Just an etching, says it is a street in Nice. I don't know if it is worth having it reframed. It is falling apart but it is just a peaceful scene.

olvrwcth00ta.jpg
    38qjfxzdvks2.jpg

I have a class tomorrow and Saturday is a paper crafting day. Wahoo!

Take care everyone. Hugs.

Lin
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Lots of showers today so I've been shopping for dog treats, cat food, chicken corn and a new garden fork for myself!! Definitely a day for housework so that's my next move once my coffee has digested. After gardening yesterday I went to the allotment with my neighbour where we planted sweetcorn, peas, climbing French beans and patty pan seedlings so we hope for a bumper crop of everything this year! Also yesterday I left a phone message in response to a local advert offering a variety of gardening work and when I returned from the allotment a lady had left me a message indicating interest in helping. I did smile to myself because she sounds older than me although that doesn't mean she isn't fitter! I'll let you know how that pans out!

Lin ~ On return from George's walk yesterday I knocked at the door of the lady I drop in to see as her son's car was parked outside and he told me she had to go back to the city hospital because a doctor that was called when she was feeling unwell diagnosed pneumonia. She's apparently on the mend and the hospital want to send her home but she has to wait for a new care package to be set up because the original was cancelled when she was hospitalised. At least she's had a different view and new faces for a few days so I'll tease her about that!! What an interesting etching and very French in style and scene. If not too expensive I'd get it reframed as you like it so much then no chance of more damage or it falling apart completely! These healthier paints do generally need 2 coats to cover but I'd rather do the job twice than breath in nasty fumes. When I first renovated my cottage over 25 years ago and uncovered the beams in the ceiling I stripped lead paint off the wood that had me feeling sick and faint and certainly wouldn't want to go through that again!!

Anne ~ That's great news about the Chihuahua and the dear little thing must be relieved to be back home. The person who stole her has to be pretty stupid to walk her near her home but thank goodness for that! Great news about Michael meeting someone too as I'm sure you'd love to see him settled with a partner, not that you're rushing anything!!

No more delaying, it's time to vacuum, dust and wash that nasty corner in my kitchen!

Jackie
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Being an old fashioned girl, that's my kind of painting LIN. It's how I TRY to paint! Although I must admit to a liking of the Group of Seven and love native Indian art! Nice bright clear colours in native Indian art. I admire some of Robert Batemans stuff as well and have a limited print of trees covered in snow with a panda. All muted whites and greys so I'm not totally adverse to the use of muted colours!

We've just got back from our walk. A nice quiet walk for once with the children not quite setting off for school. Jill had her Flea/tick prevention pill yesterday and I can only think it was the pill because she slept for a glorious 5 hours in the afternoon. Then she woke full of beans which meant after a couple of hours of throw the ball/bone/old sock and tug the stuffed rabbit we both tottered off to bed for a good nights sleep. She'll miss Michael today. We think she associates his weekly visit with the garbage truck. As soon as it rumbles past she waits on the top step for him.
    Well gals, this ain't getting the vacuuming etc done, so bye for now,
    Anne, the stuffed rabbit holder.
  • pinkperil
    Options
    I forgot to mention George's little misdemeanour (Microsoft wants to take every 'u' out of our English/French words but I'm refusing!!) yesterday. As I weeded I realised he had climbed into the pond and was splashing about trying to catch a frog so when I managed to extricate him from the pond marigolds I took him in to my shower and washed him off, rubbed him down and sent him out into the sunshine to dry at which point he headed straight for the pond and SPLASH, jumped back in! No shower this time but he's dried off smelling a bit!!
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Friday! :) Sitting went well last night, parents were home by 8:30 so not as long as I anticipated. Today I am going to my friend's work to help pack food for: Feed my starving children. She asked me to volunteer and I said yes although it is going to be a great pool day. The kids are more important and it will make me feel good about helping. I even get a free t shirt and there will be a raffle and food and drink.

Jackie, you scared me at first when you said George was splashing around in the pond, but evidently he isn't afraid of the water if he jumped back in after his shower. Bad Boy George, but oh so cute!!!!

Anne, what a wonderful ending to a terrible story about the missing dog. I feel so bad for the dog, who probably was so grateful for being returned to his owner. It is a good feeling to know your neighbors care about each other and I hope someone recognizes the dog napper and has him arrested or at least warn others about him.

Lin, I love the painting and would indeed have it re framed. Michael's might do it cheaper than a regular art store.

Buzz, what name are you using on Facebook so we can add you as a friend?

Marie, love the clock, it sure helps to know what day it is since they all go together sometimes.

Hello to all I missed, I have a few bills to pay and games to catch up.
    Have a wonderful day!

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    I'll check out Facebook. It 's most likely delraybuzz! Late, as usual...
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    SANDY and I are now friends on Facebook, where I am Buzz Friedman. I never remember to look at the website, but I think I was on it many years ago.
    LIN, is there a number on that etching, like 180/250 or anything similar? The last number tells how many prints were made and the first number would tell you what number your print was in the series. It's lovely and I would get it perhaps matted and framed. I'll bet you could get instructions to do it somewhere!
    JACKIE, George is so lucky he found Buzz!
    ANNE, happy ending to your previously sad tale!
    Saw a weird film tonight, TRAINWRECK, and I guess it might appeal to basketball fans, since James LeBron and several other famous players were in it. Also a sex-crazed Amy Shumer! One of our male friends explained to me as we were leaving that he would have walked out earlier but he thought people might think the language was too offensive for him! The language was mild compared to the actions on screen! I really kept wanting to leave, but at the very end, I was glad I stayed! Don't pay money for this one!
    Must get to bed. Problem is I then waken around 5AM !
    Has PATSY dropped off again? Wonder how things are going up there!
    MARIE, how are your legs, Sis?
    <3 Buzz
  • linder4866
    Options
    delraybuzz wrote: »
    I'll check out Facebook. It 's most likely delraybuzz! Late, as usual...

I couldn't find you Buzz. Let us know how to find you. Or maybe Sandy already did?

Had a great day at the class today. Didn't come home an expert but zi know a lot more than when I left this morning. I need to sit down now and practice, practice, practice. Just got home and found I had an email that the other paper craft store is holding a class I want to take so I hopped on that and got signed up. Spent a lot of time tracking down the phone number of the lady who is very interested in this as well and told her about the class but we spent a long time talking about everything in the universe as well. And I had to call someone else first to get that number, guess what, we talked for a long time as well.

Jackie, glad you know where your neighbor is. Good old George is 100% doggie with all that jumping in the pond. Slightly smelly is not nearly smelly enough for many of the dogs I have known in my lifetime. Ha.

Anne, glad you had a quiet walk today. I thought school was out here but I saw on school on my way home with kids just pouring out of the building. Maybe it is one of those year-round schools?

Late for me and another nice long day of crafting again tomorrow.

Hugs.

Lin
  • linder4866
    Options
    Oh Buzz, just found you on Facebook and sent a friend request.
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    No question I'll confirm,lol!
    <3 Buzz
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Back from our morning walk and about to do some serious gardening when you know who took another dip chasing a small frog into the pond!! Don't worry Sandy it's not large or deep which is probably why it's a bit pongy on the bottom!! Of course he doesn't care that I'm not pleased with him so after yet another shower he's now racing around the place squeaking his toys!

Time already to get outside because it could rain any moment and I want to make the most of any dry spell.

Jackie
  • linder4866
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Good morning. Packing up for the paper play time at the library. We were told to expect rain but instead we have heat and humidity. Only a chance of a storm later on. It feels like summer!!

Oh George, you are a character. Haaaa.

Buzz, thanks for the Friend confirm!!

Sandy, excellent volunteer work. That is a very good project. We have something similar here. In fact the headquarters isn't far from where I live. They are always looking for groups of volunteers as well as money. I wish them well.

I hope everyone has an excellent day. Take care.

Hugs.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Happy Saturday! :) The event went well and I was proud of myself for doing something good.
    They only had pizza for food so I went home and made myself a steak on the grill. Today it seems a little overcast but I am going to go to the pool and hope the sun comes out. Not sure about Mass, whether I will go today or tomorrow.

Lin, I understand they have a place near me where I could go to volunteer or bring a group. I wasn't prepared for what we had to do so it was an interesting time. Of course they were also asking for money, I just bought some raffle tickets. Have fun at the library.

Jackie, that George is a funny boy and has a great time. He is so grateful you adopted him.
    I hope you got to do some gardening before the rain.

Buzz, glad to see you on Facebook, just be sure to keep your settings to friends only.

Where are the rest of our girls? Anne, Marie, Patsy, Marcella, Jeri?

Enjoy your day!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Well I'm still around. Lol. Jill and I have just been for our noon walk. We met Nicholas who is French/Indonesian and his friend Mohammed who is African. Nice little boys and they decided to introduce this old English lady to a game of soccer. All was explained to me, and I was shown how to kick the ball really high and hard. I hadn't the heart to tell them I'm not likely to play soccer unless I get new parts of course. Oh to be seven again like Nicholas and Mohammed. Jilly was petted by Nicholas as always, but Mohammed was a little scared of dogs he told me. Takes time to realize all dogs aren't going to take a lump out of you.

Jill is now taking a nap after all the excitement of a ball bigger than her, and I'm trying to keep my lids open after exhaustingly watching all this youthful energy.

The zucchini/courgettes continue to grow at an alarming rate, and the potatoes now fill their container. The beets, onions and carrots are no slouches either! I think I missed my calling! I should have been a farmer rather than a boring old secretary!

Jill is extremely jealous of George and his lovely smelly pond. She has yet to discover that Harry next door has a pond. I think I am entering my second childhood with all my new little friends!
    Seeing I have nothing adult to talk about I will take my leave and skip off,
    Anne.
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Hello sneakers! I try to check in on you every few days. I have one of those awful Doctor appointments. Fasting blood test etc. ugh! Every 6 months! The joys of diabetes and the A-1C number! Later this month is an eye exam to see if I need another "shot in the eye!" I try to have the same attitude that John adopts. He is very upfront and teasing nurses and the doctor. His thought is it makes it less egregious to submit to examination if he takes a light hearted approach. I like that but I am not very good at teasing the doctor.

Our son is sailing most weekends now. We do have our weekly phone visit on Sunday. It is funny, we are all having breakfast together. The phone is on speaker and we hear a lot of crunching and munching along with the latest family news. I have suggested quiet foods but I was voted down. Our son is devoted to a very crunchy granola cereal.

Still unseasonally cool. Partly cloudy today but lovely. No rain for a change. Went to a townhall meeting of one of our senators. It was mainly concerning healthcare. It was very heartening to hear about efforts to fix American healthcare. Odd, we spend more on healthcare than any nation on the planet but the total quality is pretty low. Some of it is top quality. Anyway! The townhall meetings are wonderful. It is important to get to know who we send to Washington and what they are doing. Our senator is very personable and has a fabulous memory for faces and names.

I will be sending my WPA painting to the Smithsonion. They will take care of the restoration. Waiting for them to send me shipping instructions. They think it was a proposal for a mural in a library in a university. there were several such proposals. I hope we can find out more about the artist.

I would post more often but I sometimes feel my political views, my artistic taste and leanings toward unusual movies, books and music are just too strange. I think you all know I belong to the lunatic fringe.
    There it is...I can't help it.
    Patsy

• delraybuzz
    Options
    Nice to see you again ,PATSY. Funny, I don't view you as the lunatic fringe at all. Having strong opinions is a virtue more often than not, and seeing things from outside the box is probably why you chose art as a profession. How exciting to have your great find going off to the Smithsonian! Many a public building ended up with fine murals when the WPA was funding art! Today, our magnificent country appears to want to fund nothing beyond huge private yachts, and I did check out civics here and no more geography/history is taught today!
    We are having cloudy showery weather for the next few days, which is actually welcome for me! Funny, it seems to affect my water retention and even my hands are swollen tonight! Dear me, it's past midnight again and I get up between 5 and 6, so goodnight everybody, and I shall dream of George frolicking in his smelly pond!
    Oh, SANDY, your volunteer work is much appreciated by the recipients, believe me. Mike and I used to volunteer at our local soup kitchen, rounding up and delivering huge amounts of foods donated by our Publix markets. Here at Edgewater, we discovered several of the volunteers who would then cook and serve the food to needy families. And there was and is even a clean-up crew of willing kind people! And it does make one feel better after volunteering for something that helps others. I believe ours was called "Helping Hand"...
    <3 Buzz