Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,201 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Good evening. Enjoying the sunshine today as we have a few days of stormy weather on the horizon. I got home from church rather late due to a long service and communion clean-up. After lunch I started doing some cleaning, I cleaned up the little robot vacuum again (that is becoming quite a habit) and set it to work on the first level of my house. Poor little thing, I was on its heels all the time. It got entangled in just about anything it could! I finally picked it up over and over and set it down elsewhere hitting the go button again. It ran out of power so I cleaned it out and it is charging again. Meanwhile, I scrubbed my bathroom floor and got some cleaning accomplished before I got terrible leg cramps and had to quit. Will try again another day. Even did a tiny bit of dusting. Surprise!

Did I mention I did receive the new dehumidifier and got it set up yesterday? It is working well and I tore the old one apart and cleaned up the filter and put it back together again. I think perhaps it is just a fan now with no ability to really remove moisture directly from a room. The new one has a trickle of water exiting the discharge hose so that is good.

While moving things around I noted I need several new rugs. It’s on my list for one of these days.

Sandy, I hope you are making a bit of progress on the packing. Not too much at a time right? One of my friends had the daughter and family move in with them as they got into a situation where their apartment lease was up and they couldn’t find a place quickly enough to make a direct move. In fact I don’t think they have heard whether or not they got the place they wanted. Apparently there is a lot of competition here for desirable rental units. I hope you situation works out perfectly!!!

Anne, green thumb indeed. Good job. I cannot believe how quickly those plants responded. Wow! Hello Jill!

Patsy, I am also sorry that John was feeling poorly. Once upon a time I would get obsessed about what is wrong with me now but I have pretty much surrendered at this point. It is what it is. I am not sure definitive answers exist in many situations. It is wonderful that you are involved with the writer’s group and that you are sharing expertise. The person receiving the help is very fortunate.

I signed up to do a craft project tomorrow and I am not sure why but I did want to know what they do at this particular senior center and wanted to get to know the people a bit better. So I guess that is my motivation.

I am also still excited to learn more forms of Tai Chi but am struggling to find affordable classes. But we will see, I have not found Tai Chi to be easily learned by video alone. Probably because there is no one to give you feedback on what you are doing and in my mind’s eye I tend to think I am following the moves and poses whereas I am missing a lot.

Time to watch some PBS and to read a bit. I have put aside other pursuits for a little while. Just a little while.

Hugs.

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Beautiful Norge, JACKIE! Were you on a fjord or ocean? And do try to find the handcraft stores, though I doubt you need reminding! I love SANDY's reassurance that there are no calories on cruises! LIN, both the horse litho and the lovely photo of trees, leaves, etc, are just beautiful. And I agree about Tai Chi from a DVD. I've had one for years on Tai Chi Chuh, Which we studied at an Elderhostel in Arizona, but with all his comments, the actual poses get a little lost! ANNE, glad you abandoned the raw chicken! Dangerous stuff in our civilized society! PATSY, you get involved in so many fascinating things! ARe you one of those dangerous "Liberal Elites" threatening society today? (So help me, a member of Congress described someone that way on TV today!)
    Saw the movie about J Paul Getty's grandson's kidnapping this afternoon, "All the money in the world". I remembered clearly when it happened!
    Have bee really in deep pain since yesterday with swollen toes and feet and even the sheets were too heavy, so I got no sleep last night And had to use the power chair today as I could not get my shoes on for brunch! Since toes were involved I'm pretty sure it's also partly gout!
    My eyes also are blurry so I just may try early retirement!!!
    <3<3 Buzz
    ...........................Always Believe Something Wonderful Is About to Happen..........................
  • Jacean1935
    Jacean1935 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. We are promised 78 deg this afternoon. Summers here methinks.

Anyway it's strip the bed and big wash day so I will probably pop my nose in again later. MFP behaving itself today. No problem as in whipping back to page one or hiccuppy typing.

Even the world seems to be calming down. Mind you I haven't checked the newscast yet!
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Good morning from here as well. Off to Trader Joe’s and will swing back to put away the groceries, then off to that unknown craft/chat group. I have a few things I would like to accomplish this afternoon before the rain arrives. Meanwhile, blustery winds all day. :D

Hugs all.

Lin
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    26dhosmun0zd.jpg
    Getting ready for evening scenic cruise on Naeroytfjord then dinner. Beautiful weather and charming Norwegians.... so friendly and English language that puts us to shame!!

Take care everyone
    <3 Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,140 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday! :)Jackie what a gorgeous picture! I am so happy you are having a wonderful time and the weather is cooperating. Enjoy every minute. Anne We also are supposed to hit the 70's today and since I am watching the boys later it will be a great day to be outside. Lin I hope you enjoy your new group of friends and get a side ache from laughing. I am postponing packing until I hear from my landlady on a move out day. Buzz I am so sorry you are hurting, maybe have the doctor look at your toes to make sure all is okay? Patsy I hope you are also getting some sunshine and warm weather, don't we all need it by now?

Time to pay some bills and have breakfast.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Jacean1935
    Options
    Gorgeous JACKiE! Instead of "wish you were here", I wish I was THERE!
    The weather here is beautiful today. I've just watered my ill gotten mums but when I was out with Jilly I noticed that the Church had two planters on their front steps on either side of the door, full of branches bearing catkins. Hope they ARE actual plants and not just twigs! Who knows, I could be planting them in my front in the fall! Just a thought but the churches are always looking for cash. No wonder if they chuck the plants out instead of recycling them in their grounds and buy fresh every year instead of repotting! The now MY mums are getting perkier and perkier. Just laughing at myself, I save plants instead of souls!
    Talking of plants I saw the first dandelions today. Yes summers here!
    Well, Jilly Bean is having a good old bark at the back door.
    Anne
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Oh happy Monday! The wash is sloshing away in the washing machine. Dryer is cooking a load of washed bathroom rugs. A cloudy but mild day ahead. I see we need to shampoo the carpet. Wash all windows, etc. etc. I am exhausted just making the list. I think it works best for me to just attack one task at a time going from one disaster to the next.

I am going to have to hustle to finish up my 4 May Day stones. It isn’t totally necessary that they be actual May Day stones but I would love it if they could be. There is one butterfly, one daisy, one ladybug, and one 4 leafed shamrock and flower. As I finish them I will try to take a photo. Sort of silly and unsophisticated but there it is...that’s me all,over again.

Buzz: oh my! An elitist liberal? Welll! I’ll take that. Unfortunately I may easily fall into the liberal class but elitist? I fear I am pretty much low-brow and common. I blame it on too much time spent around a guy who likes to play with dirty car parts and collects tools instead of stocks and bonds.

Anne: you are a wizard! You brought those little mums back from from the brink. Yea! I recently stuck a few clippings into a pot, threw some water on them and low and behold...a new vigorous Jade plant! It made me feel like a real gardener. This little baby has become strong and is showing off.

Lin: it is almost time for our weekly farm produce market. Local produce! But we have to walk what seems like miles and lug the sacks of stuff back to the car. Everything has a price!

Sandy: I love moving once we get everything in one place. Arranging and rearranging everything is fun. John becomes very irritable while that is going on. Then he never wants to change anything...ever! I guess that is a guy thing. Enjoy those beautiful little boys. They grow up entirely too fast and we grow old entirely too soon.

Jackie: your trip sounds so idealic. I have read that Finland, Norway, Sweden are all very prosperous and happy places. We have lots of Fins living here in Astoria. They are reserved and enjoy each other’s company. There are several Fin related organizations here. I love the photos and your cruise sounds perfect.

Rugs are dry...next a list of towels....
    Patsy

• delraybuzz
    Options
    JACKIE, I felt as though I were standing on deck with you! How lovely and what a magnificent photo! And yes, The Norwegians speak perfect English as they start in about second grade! I was also so impressed with them. will you be in Oslo at all?
    SANDY, you are absolutely right saving your packing until she gives you a move out date! And PATSY is right in her observation regarding how quickly little become adults! Also, PATSY, that "elitist " remark was tongue-in-cheek since that word is supposed to turn Floridian voters off when considering for whom to vote!
    I almost keeled over when I saw this month's bill from Comcast! $30 more than I have been paying ! I was fortunate with the agent when I called so it's only going up $5, but I'm still in a bit of a shock! We have only AT+T for competition here, and they are generally higher yet!
    LIN, right after I logged off last night I turned on my TV and there was what looked like an excellent presentation called Tai Cheng, name for the Dr who is selling the disks. I will look it up to see if they are better than what I have. ANNE, Let us know what those church discards grow into! I love mums, except their odor!
    My right foot is still not usable today, but I attended an "open House" at our assisted living building (I was so impressed with it!) and learned that my HMO will now pay for new forms of rehab given right here "in house"! And Medicare will now pay for special shoes for people with neuropathy (that's me, now) even if one is not diabetic! My 2nd toe is so extra sensitive I actually cannot touch it! I'll wish you all a happy dreamtime, and that's exactly where I'm headed!
    <3 Buzz
    ..........................Always Believe Something Wonderful Is About to Happen..........................
  • Jacean1935
    edited May 2018
    Options
    You know BUZZ, I'm beginning to wish I'd taken a before picture of the mums before they started sprouting green leaves on the seemingly dead stalks, and then an after. I didn't expect them to make it last Friday. It's true about the smell but then you don't notice when blooming outdoors. It's the same with hyacinths. Overpowering indoors but outside as you pass, a whiff of heaven.

Mike remarked on my hair suddenly going grey. It was its usual brown last fall I swear, but old man winter seems to have left his mark. I didn't really notice but in the bright morning sun today, yes it's really gone or rather still going grey remarkably quickly. I don't mind, in fact I rather like it, but I did expect it to go through the salt, pepper stage more slowly.

It's going to be 80 deg later the forecasters say. What! And what to wear! Jilly doesn't have this problem. Apart from the thick ruff around her neck, a legacy from her Pomeranian daddy, she remains the same all year round. We make the dreaded vet visit on Friday for shots, pills for heart and ticks, nail clip and weigh in. I have heeded everyone's warning and she remains on cooked chicken, rice and the odd veggie thrown in (hopefully).

You must be getting awfully excited SANDY. I don't think I could hold off on the packing! I'd pack all the dishes and just have an all purpose bowl, plate, mug, knife, fork and spoon! The time will whizz to moving day and you will be waking up to a brand new view out of your windows.

The May stones sound wonderful PATSY. Does the paint wash off in time or fade. You would love my garden, it's an old river bed under the soil so I am forever removing stones and even boulders. I've got one with a fossil imprint of some ancient sea critter. Like a whirligig shell.

Hiya, busy, busy LIN and JACKIE sailing the seven seas, or rather the fjords and North Sea. Hello to everyone,
    Hugs from us,
    Anne and The Bean.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    yr2l7j59kl86.jpg
    Ship's engine started up so about to depart Bergan and cross back over North sea to Shetland Isles on way home to Liverpool. Hoping to buy lots of smoked fish including salmon to take home. No Buzz Not going to Oslo this trip. We skipped lunch today plus walked
    over 5 miles so apparently worked off 1340 calories but no doubt add them back when eating tonight!! Captain just announced 9' swell at sea so could be rocky!

Take careJackie
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! :)Jackie Another beautiful picture, what wonderful places to see. Stay away from the railings if it is going to be rocky, we wouldn't want to lose you. I think you can eat just about anything tonight with burning that many calories. Have fun and stay safe!!

I have a busy day today, getting my hair cut and colored, then a manicure to stop my nails from cracking before my Florida trip and then to the bingo with the big pot. It is a beautiful day here and I am loving the windows open and fresh air.

Anne, I am trying not to get too excited until I hear from my landlady and my move out date.
    If she doesn't agree to July 1st I will have to look for a new place since I doubt the new guy will wait that long for a tenant. Fingers crossed and lots of prayers please.

Buzz, I love Comcast for internet speed but they are highway robbers, I have to argue with them every year to keep my bill sensible but others that I know that have ATT or Dish complain about their services as well. Whatever happened to free TV?

Patsy, I wished you lived closer if you like moving, you could do all my packing and unpacking.
    It really won't be that bad once I have a date, I am OCD, so everything is in place just waiting for me to pack it up.

Lin, I have forgotten your plans for the day, but they must have started early. BTW, did you watch Call the Midwife Sunday? What a tearjerker. Jackie was right about having lots of Kleenex for this season.

Time to eat, have a great day!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Jacean1935
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Reminds me of Newfoundland - your latest lovely photo JACKIE. Beautiful. Hope you find your sea legs on a rocky crossing. It's gone so fast your trip.

We've just got back from the vets. I was rather worried because my normally healthy looking Bean has been throwing up bile overnight every 3 days or so. She is not a greedy little dog, in fact she only weighs 8 pound and she tends to eat at her own pace. Anyway, from now on I have to try and get her to eat something just before bed time even if it's only a treat. If she goes 12 hours overnight it causes bile build up apparently. Anyway, instead of Friday she's now had all her shots and we came home armed with tick and heart tablets. She was a great wow at the vets with all the staff cuddling her and the vet says she's such a good natured little thing with never a whimper when the needle goes in her bum. This cannot be said about her owner!

A much relieved
    Anne.

• jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Hello Tuesday and greetings to all sneakers! Isn’t it interesting that we all try to find our own healthy lifestyle? I love coffee! And amazingly, there are studies that show it beneficial for diabetics. Yea! But I don’t like just plain black coffee. Here’s the rub... as Willy Shakespeare said. Cream is high calorie and high fat. Half and half is better but still high fat and high calorie. Creamer is worse yet. High sugar and with palm oils! Soooo I use almond milk. Pitiful substitute but that is one of my ways to try for healthy choices. Next I need to add more weight lifting exercises. Uggg need to do it to build strength but hate doing it. Lifting chocolates from the box to my mouth probably is a poor choice. Ya think?

As for the stones...first a coat of gesso to hold the paint, after painting the design, a spritz of clear artists varnish. And we are good for a century. They seem to be gathered up pretty quickly so I don’t think they stay out in the weather very long. Anyway...everything has a life span.

Got a big order of new clothes. Jeans, pants and underthings mostly. Nothing very exciting. John suggests I embroidery on my jeans like I used to do in college. Ahhh well I remember doing that. I have a new pale jade colored sweater that doesn’t go with anything, but I like it. I don’t make wise choices, I just operate on autopilot.

I am going to the fish market to buy a small trout to make fish prints. I want to use them as stationary. I print them on handmade mulberry paper. Fun activity.
    Patsy
  • linder4866
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Good afternoon. Yes, I was off early this morning for the last Tuesday Tai Chi class. It was a good time for practice and review. Then I left to play Mah Jongg but no one showed up so I texted one of the ladies and she said no, we were not playing this week due to the continued health crisis husband of another player.

So I shopped at two stores looking for suitable throw rugs. Oh my, it has been a long time since I bought any rugs! Wow! Pricey. I found a buy one get 50% off deal but it would still have cost close to $100. Ouch. I passed on that. Found nothing in the second store. So off to Walgreens for the senior discount day. And I used some of my bonus points. That made me smile. Then I tried one more store searching for throw rugs. They were better deals but unfortunately since it was a kind of outlet store I couldn’t find two that matched. Of course I had to look at most everything before I left as it is an interesting store.

Home for lunch, a little bit of work on the project from yesterday, sorted out things needed for tomorrow’s pendoodle class.

I didn’t make any new friends yesterday. Few people even spoke. But that’s often the way it goes when you are new. Definitely not as friendly as the day I just stopped by and poked my head into the room. I will still stop by from time to time. The lady from the office is getting to know me a bit and isn’t chewing my head off. Haaaaaa. I see many people they deal with can be quite difficult. Must fray the nerves.

My week seemed too busy so I have cancelled book club for this evening and a film and presentation tomorrow evening. I hope I can get to my laundry at some point this week. :D:D

Jackie, love the photos. So not a calm sea on the way home? I cannot believe you just have a few days left. Spectacular scenery. Wahoo! Just heard from a friend who is leaving on vacation soon. They are going to Cuba! Wow. I hope I see some of her photos at some point. And looking forward to more of yours.

Patsy, people will love to find your creations when ever you put them out. If not May 1st, a treasure is still a treasure!! Don’t stress about it. I find doing weight exercises always the most easily ignored. I have been making a special effort the last week or two to get to some arm and shoulder exercises every day or two. I am prompted by relatively bad pain. I think it is helping. Tell me more about your trout prints. I have horrible visions of a dead fish covered in paint!

Anne, yes, it would have been great to have before and after pictures of your rescues but if it had been me I would not have had any confidence there would be a happy ending. I am glad Jilly got through the vet visit okay and I hope the before bed treat helps the digestion for the little one.

Sandy, good luck tonight! I saw an updated photo on Facebook. Looking quite glamorous my friend. I would pack too. Might as well get it out of the way. Just keep some dishes, clothes and your electronics out.

Buzz, order anything you can that will help you get around given your leg and foot issues. And therapy? Excellent.

Hugs all round.

Lin

• delraybuzz
    Options
    Fell asleep while composing this marvelous paragraph so I already missed my "beauty sleep" ! I also just deleted about 3 pages odjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj; Yeah! 3 pages of that!
    I enjoyed all your posts, but selfishly I'm too exhausted to sit here now! This foot is dragging me down and I think I had at least 2 unexpected naps this afternoon. Missed an important 9:30 AM meeting held monthly by our Director to keep us informed about what's happening because I fell back to sleep while pumping my legs. Missed the meeting! I'm goofing up this post, toaaaaaaaaaaa FORGET IT!!! I'm getting to bed right now! HAPPY MAY DAY!!!
    BUZZ
  • Jacean1935
    Options
    I wonder what today will bring. Well, heat for sure! Right now 68 deg and going up to 82 this afternoon. It's like culture shock after the freezing ice storm of 10 days ago.

Jilly Bean has just been chewing on her crocodile meat chewy bought at the vets yesterday. How's that for justice for all 8 lb dogs! Of course she wouldn't eat just before bedtime like the vet suggested to counteract bile build up, nor has she eaten her brekkie. Like they say, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

I just have the one coffee a day and I drink it with half and half and two teaspoons of sugar. It's my mid morning snack usually. I wasn't losing weight at all until I went off the 1200 calories a day and decided to eat just below the calories I should eat to maintain my ideal weight. Finally I'm almost there. Just 2 lbs to go. Whatever it takes.

Marks just phoned to see if I'd like to go to Costco. Tempted, but do I need anything! Problem, if I keep refusing he will stop asking won't he!
    Mmmmmm .
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Good day. Time to get running. Tai Chi, an art project class for a couple of hours, discount day at the grocery store. Hope to be home by 2pm! My days melt away but most times pleasantly I guess.

Buzz, I am sorry you missed your update meeting. When I do not get to our congregational meetings I end up knowing nothing. They don’t put out an email with any important topics. If you don’t go, you don’t know! Hate that. I hope you find some relief for your legs and feet.

Anne, GO! He will stop asking. And I think perhaps Jilly reads your mind and then does the opposite of what is wanted. Behave Jilly!

Gotta go and I forgot, yes Sandy, I did see Call the Midwife and was shocked at the loss. So unhappy about that turn of events. And are you rich this morning?

Hugs.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! :) No one won the $14.000 pot so I will continue to go until it is gone. My regular bingo is tonight so I hope I have better luck than last night. Another beautiful day here so I sat out on my balcony to read my daily readings and have coffee. I also noticed that the hummingbird feeder I took from my friends house leaked sugar all over my balcony floor. What a mess!! I think I got it all cleaned up with a de-greaser and hope the rain expected today will get the rest. I will just use my old dollar store feeder if I decide to put it back up.

Lin, busy day for you as usual and my days seem to disappear as well. Nope not rich!! lol

Anne, go to Costco while you can, if nothing but just to browse. Maybe a shirt or something to garden in or some healthy treats for yourself. Sorry to interfere but did the vet take any blood tests of Jilly just to be sure there is nothing internal going on?

Buzz, you are having a bad time lately and I hope you feel better soon. Can't someone at the meeting let you know what they talked about to keep you updated??

Patsy, I drink about 4 cups of coffee each morning and I use sugar free vanilla creamer. I can't drink coffee of any kind after noon or I can't sleep at night. I wish I was closer to you to find a painted May rock, it would be so cool. My son and his wife are into geocaching and when here we went for a walk and I found one in a guard rail.

Seems like a lazy day for me and I might as well take advantage until I get my move date. My friends have all agreed to let me use their containers for my move so I don't have to buy boxes. Maybe I can convince them to help me fill them. lol

Enjoy!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Jacean1935
    Options
    No blood tests SANDY. Just about everything else! She was pretty confident that it was all the long hours between eating that caused the bile build up. I was worried about all sorts of things of course, but after close examination and much tummy prodding she assured me that Jilly is still very young, and also very lively and healthy, and it's a common problem with these miniature pups with large independent personalities.

Anyway, I came away with a bill for $360 and I DID go to Costcos in the next town with Mark. The prices if you are careful are a huge saving! I came away with blueberries, eggs, half and half, organic granola, butter, veggies, etc etc and reckon I saved $40 all told from my regular grocers. But what an eye opener, the place was teeming with shoppers, a lot of them in my age bracket, or close.

I got a tremendous welcome from Jilly Bean when we got home 2 hours later. Talk about feeling loved and wanted. The naughty little thing hadn't eaten her brekkie though, but she did on my return.

Boy, it's HOT out there!
    Anne.