Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Morning Campers!! A bright start for me and George strolling across the moors but a busy day ahead because I want to continue with the painting I began yesterday, most of which I felt I ended up wearing because I'd been given advice to mix the 1st coat 50/50 paint and water. Ha, try painting a ceiling with that concoction!! Also my nice neighbours have builders and all that comes with them starting on Thursday to construct a kitchen extension and since we share a narrow footpath and small parking area things could get a little tiresome so I will work with one of the neighbours this afternoon to clear an area near the road for my friend's car because she arrives for her visit..... yes, you guessed it, Thursday!!

Patsy, apart from the pelicans that sound fascinating by the way, our lives often run a parallel line with enjoying the day the tourists depart, especially those that complain about our typical weather, then getting MY beaches and moors back so I can enjoy the scenery and wildlife in peace and quiet. I guess that makes us a pair of cranky old locals!! B)

Buzz, well, having read today how the Egyptian leaders are going to block the internet to anyone who has more than a few thousand followers due to "fake news" I'm thinking the orange man doing something similar isn't so far fetched..... now I'll watch my post disappear!!

Midday so I will bid everyone a peaceful Sunday and go find a paintbrush, oh yes, and muck the hens out somewhere in my busy schedule.

Jackie
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,360 Member
    edited September 2018
    Good morning, another day of on and off rain usually with either wind or lightning or both. Off to church soon with a short stop to pick up a treat for my friend. I will be taking an umbrella.

Jackie and Patsy, may you see the end of the tourist invasion soon. I don’t really have the same situation except we have events in this area all the time that draw thousands of people to the area. Retail stores, restaurants, gas stations, and roads are filled with people. Now I avoid almost all of these special events in favor of staying at home. I guess I don’t like to share.

I am invited to a birthday open house this afternoon. So far I am unable to convince myself that it would be good for me to stop by.

I am working on a few cards that I would like to put in the mail on Tuesday. A friend just lost her husband to cancer. Another friend who is suffering terribly from the after effects of radiation for an inoperable brain tumor just lost her mother and is unable to get up to travel to a neighboring state for the funeral and finally a bit happier thing, a thank you card for someone who has been very kind. Really a card is nothing in the overall vastness of life but it is an offering. So onward.

Hugs all.

Hello Buzz, Sandy, Jeri, Jackie and Patsy. And of course Anne, who is out there but not with us right now.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,267 Member
    Happy Sunday! :) Charlie is getting Baptized today so I haven't much time. I just wanted to pop in and say hello. Have a great day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Hello! Well sweet friends! It is truly fall! Sweater time and the house was so chilly we had to briefly turn on the little space heater to take the chill off. Now that’s a harbinger of autumn if I ever saw one.

Sandy: I remember the times our little babies were babtized. It is difficult to describe that feeling. I remember we went back to our house for a meal afterwards and we all sat in the living room looking at the baby in his little bassinet. There was a special family bonding and hope for this tiny little person.

Lin: your cards are more that the usual commercial greetings. I know you put friendship and care in every card. I also know people appreciate your consideration and creative effort. These are not simply cards.

Jackie: it is lovely that you treasure all living things. I am so inconsistent. I have a list of creatures that are not on my personal friend list. Wasps! There are others but as long as we keep a respectful distance, we are good to go! Wasps by the way are very active these days.

Lovely cool sunny day. Yellow leaves and orange pumpkin kind of day!
    Patsy
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    I must get a card made for a couple whose daughter just passed away due to breast CA. Sympathy cards for those who have lost children are very difficult! Painful!
    Attended The Book Club again, today and did not sleep! It could have been so much better but then, no one consulted with me!
    I wish it were autumn here, too; maybe the iguana families would disappear! Anyway, nothing new or exciting here. Probably having a buffet tomorrow, with food that is a no-no! I'm tired of eating fish!
    Everyone stay well, Happy Labor Day if it applies, and ours is going to be very wet!
    <3 Buzz
    ......................Always Believe Something Wonderful Is About to Happen! ............................
  • Sandydur
    q1xcqh7aa5w6.jpg

• Sandydur
    edited September 2018
    dxtxugwst777.jpg

Me, Charlie and Bryanna
  • Sandydur
    Sorry one more.....

tn91int5l2fr.jpg
  • jwubben6600
    Oooooooooooh! Sandy! God bless this beautiful child. You, dear beautiful grandmother, look as lovely and happy as the sweet young mother standing beside you. Grow in beauty dear little family.
    Patsy
  • linder4866
    edited September 2018
    Beautiful photos. Extremely gorgeous people in your family! The baptism gown is exquisite. An heirloom?

Rain again. Actually drizzle right now but enough to make me decide I would stay home rather than going over to the park by the Art Center. If it isn’t raining there, there is a group of folks doing Tai Chi. Pass.

Similarly, I passed on the birthday open house yesterday as well.

I was happy to just come home. My friend, bigwig organizer of events at church who sort of forced me into this situation where I am the full-time communion lady is angry with me. No surprise to me but the lady who has organized and made most of our crafts resigned last year and I said if she wasn’t going to do it any longer I was out as well. Anyway, my friend says she didn’t know that and was shocked when this other lady said I told you I cannot do it and no, I will not do it this year. So it was immediately assumed I would take over and she would draft a helper for me. A lady who needs shoulder surgery. I repeated no, I told you no and then said maybe we could organize just a bake sale instead.

By Sunday she stopped talking to me. Okay, I can wait this out. There is no wiggle room on my decision. She always wants to move heaven and earth to make things go her way and her way is that everything has to be the same as the prior year.

Now, with that off my chest, I am going to make my breakfast, make some cold brew tea and also cold brew coffee, work on cards again and make a list of things to do tomorrow. Lots of errands including picking up my new glasses.

Hugs all. I trust some of you are having good of weather. All I can say is quack, quack, quack.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    3566528hcji1bje2u.gif

The Baptism was wonderful and Charlie looked beautiful. No Lin, the dress is not an heirloom, Lisa found it online and I bought it for Charlie. I am so sorry about that rude lady, just try to let it go and stand your ground. Too much rain for you lately, hope the sun comes out soon.

Patsy, the sweet young girl in the picture with me is my granddaughter, Bryanna. She is my son't eldest daughter from his first marriage. I sent a picture in the email to Anne with Charlie;s siblings and parents. Thank you for the generous compliment, it was a great day.

Buzz, I also wish your rain would go away, you need sunshine in the sunshine state. I like the little lizards at my daughter's house but they do scare me if they scurry too fast.

Jackie, never heard of mixing paint and water, did it turn out well? You have four days to get everything in order which is why I think you are late in posting today. lol

I am hoping the sun stays out for the afternoon, so we can enjoy our last day at the pool.
    I will be bringing some snacks and refreshments so it should be fun.

Have a great day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • delraybuzz
    edited September 2018
    Oh my, what a lovely Charlie and family, and as usual, SANDY, I think you are the loveliest grandmother imaginable! Best of luck to the littlest of yours, whatever she grabs first!
    Just got off the video call with my son, and learned all about his wife's travels to just about everywhere in Europe! Her stories of meeting the Pope, being scammed by a bus driver in Sicily (he was attempting to drive slow so the passengers would miss their train to the ship they were cruising on, so his friend, a cab driver, would make money driving them to the ship!) and other fascinating stories of her travel observations. she should write a book!
    Happy Labor Day...
    a6aoz6zl5yd9.png

Anyway, I must get down to our buffet, and avoid everything I like!
    <3 Buzz
  • pinkperil
    Hello sneakers. Not too bad a day weatherwise but we are having the occasional shower. I met up this morning with my friend and the current 3 dogs in her care and we walked through some woods and fields but that meant me clambering over an old dry stone wall that has been turned into a not very safe style so although I made it in both directions my hips are complaining. My day has rapidly disappeared with a long chat via Skype with my brother in Spain who has an unwanted guest overstaying her welcome by nearly 4 months who happens to have Bipolar disorder followed by another long chat with my friend who lives in Plymouth that has had a lung cancer diagnosis out of the blue so is dealing with lots of tests, chats with medical staff and some decision making to be dealt with as to what treatment to go with. On Wednesday she will find out if the cancer is anywhere else in her body then I've told her onwards and upwards. My car has been vacuumed to clear George's dust, leaves and bits of grit because I will be driving myself with friends to the theatre in Plymouth to see Warhorse tonight with those wonderful wooden puppets. Everyone says take a tissue so although I've seen the movie and know how it ends I'd better do as advised!

The paint has dried in my garden room so is ready for the next coat and I'm going to look for silver grey for the ceiling since I find white too bright. The low walls can stay white!

Sandy, the photos are just so beautiful and something along with memories to treasure. Well done for keeping Anne in the loop and let's hope she soon returns to us if her boys sort her phone problems out. Her last experience certainly read like a malware attack.

Lin, just let it all go over your head and don't allow it be your problem when others presume. You have done so much to help out when others have dropped away so no one has the right to be cross with you.... I think you know that already. <3

Patsy, our warm weather has brought us more than our normal amount of wasps this year but apparently giant hornets from Europe are flying over the English channel to feast on them! A friend saw one in her garage last week and said she slammed the door quickly because it terrified her!!

Time to get on since I'll be leaving for the theatre in the next hour.
    Jackie
  • linder4866
    Good morning, getting ready to start on my oh-so-long list of errands. I haven’t decided on my flight path yet due to differing opening times and traffic and school bus routes. Haaaa.

Jackie, you are beyond busy. I am shrieking in fear now that hornets and wasps are in the conversation. Argh. Hornets my impression is they are ill-tempered and well equipped to sting and sting and sting. Did you enjoy the show (to change the subject)? And I keep wondering how your brother is keeping his sanity with a houseguest that won’t leave? Insane. People frighten me!

Buzz, what very interesting stories you heard. Just amazing to hear even the crumbs of the conversation.

Sandy, just must say again, another perfectly lovely family event. You must feel so blessed to be surrounded by such a group!

Well must finish my cup of coffee and get going. Much rain expected later. We are living in sump pump land now. Oh my.

Hugs.

Lin

• jwubben6600
    Good morning sneakers! We are to have a warm day today. But I am supposed to do the monthly complete groom on the Kate! Meaning total brush and comb,dry cleaning and coat conditioner, toenail clipping, ear cleaning with her special ear cleaning liquid. We have a regulation grooming table so it is more comfortable for all of us including Katie. However this process takes at least 2 hours and then the clean up involves a house vacuuming top to bottom. I am tired already, just talking about it. The best part is that Katie loves the attention and she must feel really good afterward. She also gets a new neckerchief to wear for the day. Cooing and singing to her is part of the whole grooming procedure. Whew!

Lin: your experience at church is so disappointing. It is supposed to be a time of spiritual renewal not dealing with a controlling woman. I try to NOT give people that power over me. The gallery owner and I have a relationship that can only be classified as toxic. I know it is funny but I get a perverse pleasure in frustrating this woman. No exchange of words just a smile and quietly go about my life as I want or need. I guess it might be called passive aggressive but not exactly.

Jackie: I have seen a movie by that name...if it is the same, you will need a whole box of tissues and a nice calming glass of wine after. It was well done. The story was interesting, an emotional wringer. I wonder if it is the same movie?

Our son is going through his own life challenges. Since media is in a state of upheaval, his studio must change and correct course. Never easy but it is the way of things these days. He usually does TV commercials and movie special effects. Big changes on all fronts there. As that industrial giant said...lead, follow or get out of the way! Oooooooh baby!

Buzz: I love video chats with family. It is funny. I get all dressed up and try to look spiffy. After we hang up and we are sitting here in our own house, dressed as if I am ready for a trip out to lunch.
    John usually suggests we dash off on a few errands as long as we are “puffed and fluffed.”

Sandy: I know you are in love with all those adorable cherubs. I would be as well. They are lucky to have a doting grandmother and a stay at home parent. Wonderful family!

Must get grooming tools together. Katie is eyeing this with suspension. What’s up? Hummmmmmm
    Patsy
  • Sandydur
    edited September 2018
    Happy Tuesday! :) My day feels like Monday as I am sure those of us who had the holiday feel.
    I am doing some laundry, going to pay a few bills and then to the bank and to the grocery store for a few things, including some oatmeal for Babe. He evidently had a fight with his son last night (all made up today) and his stomach is bothering him. I told him I would stop later and bring him some oatmeal and pastries. Later bingo for another chance to win $19k.

Lin, I am indeed very grateful for my family, they are the loves of my life. Grandchildren keep me young and their parents are all very good to me. Your life is so busy, don't forget to take some time and smell the roses.

Patsy, that is some job grooming Katie, I could never do it. It was hard enough brushing our OES in between grooming. I am sure your son will handle anything that comes his way, he sounds like an intelligent man with a great job. I am sure you are very proud.

Jackie, I agree with Lin, overstaying a visit by four months would probably put me over the edge. My son is bi polar but he stays on his medicine and hasn't had any episodes for the last ten years. He does tend to get moody but knows how to get himself out from under it. I am sorry about your friend with cancer, such a horrible disease that they just can't seem to find a cure.

Buzz, your DIL has had some wonderful adventures she is a lucky lady. I also love video calling with my family even though sometimes we just laugh at Robby's antics.

Anne, hope all is well with you and I will copy this and send it in an email to keep you in the loop.

Have a good day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • delraybuzz
    edited September 2018
    Ouch, it must be the weather, but my left ankle tendon is bad and I pulled what thought was a dry scab off my little toe ...only it wasn't ready! My feet are a mess today! Just attended something called TED, a DVD about Norman Lear and what started him on his writing career, and then we were supposed to tell about something that influenced us to do or become whatever we have done or become! I went blank! I could not (and cannot) think of who I am or what I have become and that's a bit unnerving!
    Right now, having received a 3rd letter regarding a prescription that needs renewing that Humana seems to be having a problem filling, I must attempt to get through to someone to figure out what the hang-up is, so here goes at least 2 probably futile hours online or phone ! I think I will gain cheer by gazing at SANDY'S babies for a bit!
    <3 Buzz
  • pinkperil
    edited September 2018
    A beautiful day which started with our usual walk, this time through woods and across fields. Now I have to decide what my priorities are to get my cottage organised for the visit of my friend. Bedding has been washed and now hangs in the sunshine so will smell sweet when returned to the bed and there is certainly some hoovering to be done as well as grass cutting but I'll go at it all at my own steady pace. As for my brother, he does seem to find himself in the sort of predicament facing him now quite often. Although 18 months older than me I've always looked on him as a younger sibling because he is naive when it comes to people with their own agenda and as difficult as he's finding this situation he can't bring himself to be honest but instead struggles on. Of course I'm feeling cross about his treatment by this so-called friend and don't think what she is doing has anything to do with her bipolar, she's just taking advantage of a kind soul because she's not paying her way either!! As we know though her mood swings will be considerable so he never quite knows how she will be on a day to day basis plus he lives in a small one bedroom apartment so little room to avoid each other although she appears to spend a lot of time on the beach! He tells me her son has turned up too so goodness knows where he's sleeping!! Will he learn from this once she's gone? Probably not!!

WarHorse was beyond amazing and had the whole theatre in tears for most of the show. Patsy yes it is the same story as the movie which was taken from a childrens' book but the production is so clever with what are described as puppets but are in fact incredible creations that have you forgetting the humans that work them within minutes of the show starting. The stage set was minimal and the atmosphere created with nothing more than lighting, sound effects, smoke and a few pieces of shaped timber that seemed to immediately explain a scene. All in all a heart stopping amazing experience that left us all emotional wrecks!! This is a trailer to show more than I can describe to Patsy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdiAg2UkPf8

Did you win Sandy? Someone has to one day surely!! I'm sorry to read Babe is still dealing with his problem son but I suppose it will always be so. Your beautiful family show how it should be don't they! My paint dried just fine which did surprise me but I probably won't finish the job until after my friend's visit now.

Lin, you have as many long lists to do as me and I wonder if, like me you don't always get to the end of them? I suppose it's always good to have something needing to be done. I'd rather surround myself with animals than some people as you can tell! LOL As I get older I do at least find I don't hold back if I have something to say to any inconsiderate individuals but that's the fun of being a grumpy old lady!! Our news today, apart from naming the Russian murderers, is that we have Asian hornet arriving on our shores in larger numbers which kill honey bees so I'm thinking I may not restock in the Spring..... we'll see.

Buzz, not that we've met of course but to my mind, what you have become is a compassionate, caring overseer of all that goes on around you whether it is for others needing support or guidance or you keeping a watchful eye on the powers that be and doing your utmost to get important messages out to the uninformed. For sure you are not a lady with a blank mind but rather not always aware how important you are to everyone and I mean everyone! <3<3<3

I jumped on the scales this morning to find I've lost 5 ounces.... whoopee-do! At least going in the right direction to lose my recent 4 lb gain. On that note I will put some cottage cheese and pineapple slices in a bowl, settle for an early lunch then get on with my chores.

Good morning to Anne of course when I copy and paste this into an email.

Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Happy Wednesday! :) No winner again for the big pot, but maybe I can win something tonight. Seems I say that every week doesn't it? :D

Jackie, I have not seen or remember that movie or book. It certainly looks like it was great, what wonderful "puppets". I am sure you will get done with all that you can before your friend's visit. I doubt she is coming to see your "clean" house but rather just you.

Buzz, who you are is a caring lady with a heart of gold. What you have become is someone with compassion and intelligence with more knowledge and information to share from your golden years on this earth. Never change we love you just the way you are.

Hello to Lin and Patsy and of course Anne who I will also paste and copy an email to her.
    She said in another week she will be joining us again when her son returns from his holiday.

Have a good day everyone.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jwubben6600
    Hello sneakers! Sunny and warm today. I have a great deal on my personal agenda today. I awoke feeling a bit dissatisfied with my usual routine. I am thinking of making a stab at making some changes. At this stage in life..what have I got to lose?

The political situation here is just so bazaar I often feel like I am living in a very bad soap opera. This might be the underlying cause of my need for change.

My grooming session with Katie went into something I can only describe as a battle of wills. Not mine and Katie’s but John and mine. We all accommodate personality quirks but there are times when it is really inadvisable to jump in and insist on assisting. THIS was one of those times. I am usually the dog groomer. This time John must have been bored or something, he wanted to help. Poor Katie received the worse hair cut ever! Thank goodness nature will help resolve this in due time.

I know I sound quite grumpy today, I need to dive into my tasks and never look up until I see progress on all fronts. So I will get busy and wish everyone a wonderful Wednesday.
    Patsy