Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    Thanks girls. It's just actually been resolved although it's left me feeling a bit guilty.

I think because of the strange dream I had or whatever, I was for once pretty strong in my wording with Mark. I've just had a text from him stating "no problem, we will think of something else".

I have the strangest feeling that because I was so adamant in not really wanting this woman's stuff I've let Mark and Mary Jo off the hook as well!! I will never know for sure I guess. I have met the friend in the past and I would put her in the strong self-opinionated category in all truth.

I'm sure you all know I would never say no to family or any of my close friends.

Very grateful for your opinions, especially when everyone is coping with their own problems.
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,364 Member
    I am cleaning out paper bit by it. My dear friends, this looks like weeks worth of work to toss, shred, organize, make files etc. Anyway, I started thinking about all the huge totes full of records in my basement that my dad’s accountant told me I should keep forever. All corporation records, banking information, tax returns, etc. They would have been long gone if there were no relatives. Now I am thinking I should look into having the tons of stuff shredded. Harrumph.

May all turn out well Anne.

Hugs.

Lin
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Sunny day here! Just lovely! I hope I can get outside a bit. It is chilly but sunny! Rather spring-like actually. Maybe buds will start showing up.

Hearing about Anne’s dilemma, John and I started remembering a crazy event from years ago. Our son had recently graduated from film school and he and his room mate were moving out of student housing. The roommate needed to store his belongings until he settled into his new job. Our son knew we had a great big house in Cheyenne, Wyoming so our son offered to store all his stuff in our basement to await the movers. All progressed and the movers were to come pick up the friends possessions from our basement. Then the drama began! The old couch of the friend was absolutely soaked with cat pee! The friend had a cat...we did not! We had never gone into the room containing the friends possessions. The movers refused to take the couch. Our son and friend chopped up the couch and hauled it to the dump in the back of his friends little Honda car. I believe that friendship suffered because of the infamous couch event. The cat remained a permanent part of the friends life. That was the good thing. However the cat also remained very untrustworthy about potty habits according to the friend.

I think I see daffodil sprouts..........
    Patsy

• Gawanne35
    Thanks for the tale of woe PATSY.! Made me feel a lot better. You never know what's going to move in with someones possessions do you! LOL.
    Anne. 😾🐜🕷🐀👻
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Gawanne35 wrote: »
    Can I have a bit of a grouch. SANDY calls herself an enabler, well meet another one. I said earlier that I'd had enlightenment from the past and that's maybe why this worm is finally yelling enough!!
    It all started when I first came to live here. The basement is finished and a friend's son wanted a place to live temporarily.
    Then Mikes marriage ended and he moved in with all his junk.
    needs a basement or garage to store all her stuff in until
    turn into years and years and I would like to spend my final time here with only my own junk. Is this reasonable?
    . Am I being a mean old thing or not?
    Anne the aggrieved.
    ANNIE, my dear, I think you'e had the patience of a Saint! I believe you are not being a mean old thing! Did your dream have anything to do with your decision? You must have had this "Enablement" problem just hanging out in that brain of yours through the many years of being taken advantage of (excuse my dangling participle!) and it suddenly became too much! YOU ARE ENTITLED to peace and quiet if you wish to have it! I think paying rent means the space is yours and you have been over-generous for many years!
    I buy JERI's " think you made the right decision. I agree this could again turn into years and you deserve to use that space for yourself." and recommend you try to get rid of any guilt feelings! 'Nuff said!

JACKIE dear, I think Ibuprofen is in a similar category of affecting kidney function. My DD mentioned pain patches. Tonight , my hip was not as painful as it was all day! Weather related? I'm getting things in order for physical therapy, will discuss injections into joint, and if all else fails, and Dr feels my system can tolerate it, I'm beginning to open up to another replacement without general anesthesia (spinal block instead?) .I won't rush that decision! I want to wish you no more aching joints, dear friend!

LIN, for some reason, I've never gotten used to my iPad and all the calls for passwords it keeps requesting! I know you'll learn to use it well, just as you have adjusted to everything else you 've learned!

JERI, right on! You ARE a strong woman, in so many areas! Love you, Babe!

PATSY, yes yes yes! Ditch the raggedy stuff, the really disgusting sweats and shapeless jeans! Feel good about yourself, and John should do the same! Question: how does an artist keep clean nails??? Keep on producing your arts! You are so special!

I saw "Boy Erased" or something like that today. Definitely did not recognize Russell Crouse or Nicole Kidman, though the story left me so uncomfortable (once again), with the role religions may play in judgmental treatment of Gays, Lesbians, etc. This film shows the horrors of "conversion" schools. Hasn't anyone yet figured out we are ALL G-D's children? Just this past week, several denominations once again refused to recognize the validity of certain people. There is an unbecoming self-righteousness involved here, and this movie has tried to address it, though to me it falls short!

Yikes, 1:18 A.M. Good night all you dear friends .....
    <3 Buzz
    ......................Always Believe Something Wonderful Is About To Happen!.........................
  • linder4866
    Hello. Wind chill advisory today and Tai Chi class was officially cancelled. I am working on gathering and copying things for income tax appointment. Not very stimulating and can not compare with a morning of Tai Chi with very nice people.

I have a lovely hot mug of tea and will likely finish one of the books I have been reading. So a slow and calm day. In fact I haven’t even picked up my mail from Saturday. My nose has barely been poked outside. It will get better someday. <3

Buzz, years ago I was told Ibuprofen could cause liver damage. I was eating them like candy everyday at that point so I gave them up. I hope you find a solution for your hip pain. I am sorry. <3 So there are options, may you find the best one for your situation.

Patsy, I am still laughing about the cat and the couch story. Thank you.

Well, should move soon. The tea is delightful but back to the paper shredder.

Hugs and hello waves to everyone.

Lin
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    If Freya did come my way I didn't hear her in the night and no damage as far as I could see. Lots of showers today and nasty hail storms but I did manage to walk both George and Betty without getting wet. George's groomer visited after lunch and we perched him on the table in my garden room rather than her truck so I could sit with him and he was very calm and well behaved .... now looking cute with a shaggy cut!

Anne, I'm pleased you were able to have a constructive discussion about your basement. Problem solved!

Lin, maybe a good incentive to make the most of the awful weather to sort paperwork although like you, I'd prefer to curl up with a good book.

Buzz, I was thinking of an ibuprofen gel that you rub Into a painful joint rather than swallowing pills might be worth looking into. Certainly long-term use of most of these painkillers can damage liver or kidneys. My hip replacement was carried out with an epidural (spinal) and sedative so recovery was quick... I'd recommend that option if you feel up to it.

Time to light my fire, make a cuppa and prepare toad in the hole for my evening meal.🐸
    Happy Monday!
    Jackie
  • Gawanne35
    Good afternoon/evening sneakers. Today is very cold but no snow for once! I don't think any daffodil spears will be poking through under the pile of snow in the back garden PATSY, not here anyway. Do you remember last year when I decided to renew my shabby, out of date wardrobe, just keeping one or two things for gardening or clearing other people's junk out of my basement, lol. I slowly renewed everything from the knickers up, and I'm ever so glad I did. No fashion plate, but it's so nice to put on clothes I actually like rather than stuff I think I ought to wear to save the planet. Stuff I'm happy to answer the door in! To each her own of course but I wonder if a nice crisp shirt has helped this old backbone! Not a squeak out of the "boys" this morning apart from their usual texted "morning Mom" to make sure I didn't expire in the night. I shall try "no" more often now that we are all mutually grown up! Grown up kids are far more difficult to tackle than when they were small and Mom ruled the world.

You really are an amazing group. JACKIE and JERI bravely tackling today's medical problems, SANDY coping with an ex and his oddball son, not to mention taking care of three little grands, LIN courageously facing each day with its house, computer problems, taxes and not least by any means bossy church secretaries. BUZZ you are amazing, so knowledgable and managing each day with renewed curiosity. Then of course PATSY, loving her tinkering John, her children and the irascible Katie. Patsy and her dungeon, her art, and of course her renewed love of spiders?

Pat yourselves on your backs. You are all an absolute inspiration to this old girl.

Golly I feel all sentimental and watery eyed!
    Anne, (her with the Viking crooked inwards little finger! Must remember that the next time I have to put my large foot down!.)
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Hiya dahlings. I'm ready for bed now after an interesting evening with a discussion on "Mental Hygiene" and how to achieve it! They discussed Loneliness, Self-Image, and I forget the third thing but I personally was surprised control was not brought up! To me, learning to give up the need to control anyone other than myself was one of my hardest and greatest achievements! I'm not even sure I'm at the goal yet!
    Anne the Viking, you have me all watery-eyed, too, and I agree it is a very special group. I do feel I know you all in person! ........Took my diuretic about an hour ago, as I didn't want to take it before using my compression boots and then I forgot it! I'll be up all night. Seeing the dentist in the morning, so goodnight dear friends...
    <3 Buzz
    ......................Always Believe Something Wonderful Is About To Happen!........................
  • jwubben6600
    Great news! Our own Oregon Senator Jeff Merkley has announced he is running in 2020. He is running in a huge field of democratic contenders. He is young, has a beautiful family and has been on the front lines dealing with the separated families at the borders. He has almost forced his way into the camps of separated children. He has brought journalists and photographers and health providers to document the appalling conditions in these cages for children. He very responsive to his constituents. He is well spoken and is in general a centrist. I am very excited about his decision. And so it begins....
    Patsy
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,272 Member
    Aloha! Wedding was beautiful, weather is beautiful and being with family priceless! Went to Pearl Harbor today and played games tonight! Having a wonderful time.
    Sandy
  • Gawanne35
    edited March 2019
    HAPPY PANCAKE DAY. SHROVE TUESDAY. Took the BBC quiz and for the first time ever my score was 7 out of 7. Amazing.
    Anne
  • linder4866
    Mardi Gras!!! I have no purple or gold beads to wear and no parade or pancake breakfast but it will be a busy day. Mah Jongg this morning, discount day at the drug store, voting day for the local option sales tax and perhaps a stop at the credit union.

Yesterday I tried to talk to my friend who is having the memory issues. We were on the phone for two hours. If I say anything about what she was saying to her family I believe they would be upset with me and still do nothing for her. They don’t want to get involved. I feel so bad for her as she is truly upset and distressed. But as she talked and careened from one thing to another with continually differing stories she seems to sense if you are questioning anything she says. Frightening.

Enough rambling.

Sandy, glad the wedding was wonderful. And terrific weather and enjoyable times with family. Enjoy the rest of your time there.

Buzz, you have interesting events every day. Your activities folks are marvelous.

Patsy, I did not hear about Senator Merkley. The field is extremely crowded. I am a bit amazed at that.

Anne, what a thoughtful and heart warming post. You are a treasure.

Jackie, good day. I can just imagine how handsome George is after the visit from the groomer. Will Betty stand still to be brushed? I had to giggle at the toad in the hole with the little toadie emoticon. Darling.

We have a bit warmer temperature on the horizon today and some sunshine. Wahoo!

Must get moving. Hugs.

Lin
  • Gawanne35
    Oh my goodness, to celebrate Shrove Tuesday English style I've just had a late brekkie of English style pancakes sprinkled traditionally with caster sugar and lemon juice. Oh my goodness again. Why don't I do this more often! So GOOD. BUZZ do you think you'll get them for dessert tonight with your cook often offering various country cuisine?

Do we change the clocks this coming Saturday? It's bitterly cold but somehow one can smell spring in the air and the pancakes sure helped.

I finally got the tax forms completed and will mail at the end of the week when things hopefully warm up.

It's a shame about your friend LIN. My neighbours windows are all covered with sheets of plastic now that Tony is terrified of his reflection. I think Marie gets blinds installed this week. Tony is now home from the hospital after two weeks of assessment. There appears little the doctors can do. Poor Marie. Newly retired she should be enjoying life. Instead she is virtually a prisoner because Tony panics when she is out of his sight and wants no one else around, his children, family or friends. Terrible disease. Roy in England is at the start, wandering around looking for my cousin Val who's been dead for 22 years. Is dementia on the increase? Or are we all living longer, thus increasing the chance of succumbing to it?

Oh dear, let us all look forward to spring! Spring the sweet spring with its "darling buds of May".
    Anne.
  • jwubben6600
    Cold but sunny day today. We are looking at the beautiful weather but going outside is so freakishly chilling, it is shocking.

My list of things todo today is too long. I am tripping over dog toys and I feel this spring cleaning urge. It is a strange feeling. One I try to ignore but I fear I must attend to the dusty curtains and doggie smeared French doors to the deck. The doors are a regular chore. It is Katie’s main in and out door. Thus, the muddy paw smears and doggie slobber.

Must try for more sleep. I seem to be stuck on 5 hours. Not enough!
    Back later, my crock pot of veggie stew is demanding attention. The light is blinking for some reason.
    Patsy

• linder4866
    Anne, Spring Forward this weekend, 2am Sunday morning..........
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    A compressed nerve in my thigh is driving me mad as a thousand bees sting when I least expect and set me yelping so I'm sitting with an ice pack on the area and warm throw over knees to combat the chill feeling it's giving me!
    After I walked George first thing while Betty snoozed I got my car out of the garage and drove about 12 miles to the town where my hairdresser works for a much needed appointment. On the way home I stopped at a supermarket to stock up then drove through rain and hail.

Sandy, you sound so happy which is wonderful. Continue to enjoy everything and everyone... you deserve them.

Lin, what a tragic situation your friend has found herself in and how sad her family aren't showing concern or even interest. Such a ghastly illness I wouldn't wish on a worst enemy. Such patience you have to talk for so long and I'm sure it would have given comfort to your friend just to hear your voice. The groomer showed me how to scratch out handfuls of Betty's lose undercoat once I'm allowed to bend properly because although she loves the feel of a brush running through her coat it doesn't remove much. She also loved collecting George's cut locks and running round with them and looked very funny with a fluffy moustache!

Anne, yummy, I love thin pancakes and lemon juice and will make a playful for my tea. We are living longer but I also think environmental damage has a lot to do with many health issues we are faced with. Think of all that lead paint being spread everywhere when we were growing up too... there but for the grace of God!!

Patsy, 2 dogs and a couple of cats leave muddy smears in amazing places so I sympathise with your never ending clean ups.

I read yesterday our parliament is voting to abandon our 2 annual clock changes in 2021... hooray!
    Time for a cuppa.
    Jackie
  • linder4866
    edited March 2019
    Back home. I was running about doing errands and then on my way to meet the Mah Jongg players when I received a phone call. Other players were on their way (they ride together). The driver had to return home to jump her husband’s vehicle. It wouldn’t start and he had a doctor’s appointment. So off she went saying they would be late. So I stopped for another errand and was about ready to leave, another phone call. Her husband decided to take her more reliable car and her wings were clipped. No Mah Jongg. Finished my errands at that end of town and came home.

Trying to login to my credit union’s new web site with new online banking. It is a no go. I may have to drop off a check tomorrow if bill pay doesn’t appear again soon. It’s been shut off since the evening of February 27th. Seems like forever. I am dependent on the electronic method of doing business.

Anne, I don’t know how to sort out what is going on. Maybe a combination of living longer, dirtier environment, depleted soils, chemicals in everything we touch and ingest. I agree, more people seem to have brain issues. Your neighbor is a prisoner. I am so sad for her. My friend has no one she trusts. I am afraid for her and her situation.

Back to pancakes. I ran into a guy from my Tai Chi fan classes, he was buying spatulas. He will be flipping pancakes at his church pancake dinner tonight. He says all the guys bring their own spatulas. I thought it odd at first but then I thought that is brilliant, buy a couple of very cheap spatulas ($2 total) and you need not worry if they are misplaced. You can walk away. I think he’s done this before.

Bye!

Lin
  • jwubben6600
    Hello dear ones, back after a few minor chores attended to. This will be one of my many coffee breaks. Bwahahah! One must take this cleaning slowly!

I also wonder about all the dementia these days. But in truth, when I was growing up, there seemed to be a few dear folks who we all knew just didn’t “paddle with their oars in the water.” They were tolerated and there were kind folks who sort of looked after them in a informal way. Maybe not the best situation but better than institutionalization. Now a days it is called main-sreaming. We have a family member with a Down syndrome son. He will always be about 3 to 5 years old mentally. He really could never live independently. He is now 26 years old. This young man is like a huge likable puppy. It is supposed to be caused by an extra chromosome. Why? Lots of ideas, but no real definitive reason for these mental-wiring tangles. Until we figure it out, we help when we can and do what we can for the care-providers. Thank goodness for Caring sweet neighbors like Anne who offers the gift of friendship and a sympathetic ear.

Coffee break over and curtains washed. Now to rehang the blasted things.
    Patsy
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,272 Member
    Quiet day in Hawaii. Most went hiking in the mountains so 4 of us seniors are staying home. I hope the sun comes out soon so I can work on my tan. Enjoy your day!

Sandy