Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,384 Member
    edited May 2023
    Good evening. A very busy day and I am exhausted. Had a bit of a disaster here in the morning. A plumber is scheduled to arrive tomorrow morning to try to get the issue resolved. I need to get up early to make some coffee and/or tea and to run some water for my plants in containers on the deck. I don’t know how long the water will be off.

Other than cleaning, scheduling appointments, I had several long phone conversations. One friend had good news about her husband’s cancer follow up. The other friend is not doing well, she has been struggling with COVID for more than 5 weeks.

Take care everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

ew07lh0csh86.jpeg
  • Loveburg87
    Loveburg87 Posts: 452 Member
    Well, I’m still here but nothing interesting yesterday when it rained the entire day.
    Same again today at 6 degrees but guess what, the temperature is supposed to rise on Saturday to 17 degrees. Oh fabulous day!!!!!!!

Anne. 💦🙃🐕‍🦺💥😎🐕‍🦺
  • Loveburg87
    Just made a big batch of scones. Really because I can’t eat bread anymore because of allergy to yeast. I miss home made bread, but it’s lovely to be free of stomach cramps and one can still bite into a lovely homemade scone. Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,293 Member
    Happy Tuesday! :) Had a nice dinner with Bryanna, Cheryl and Marisa last night. Rob needs me today as Charlie is sick and he can't concentrate on work. Now I just hope I don't get sick as well.
    Enjoy your day and keep healthy.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • virruth
    virruth Posts: 169 Member
    Good morning Pals. Happy Tuesday. Its a busy week here. PT for Charlie. PT at a different place for me. Chores. Did laundry yesterday. Its turned cool and windy with possible rain so wont be outside exercising.
    Lin so sorry for your disaster and hope plumber fixes things quickly.
    Anne, Enjoy those scones. I am about to make my coffee and toast. I luv my breads.
    Sandy i hope you stay healthy whilst watching the little one.
    Joy
  • Sandydur
    Sandy i hope you stay healthy whilst watching the little one.

I am wearing a mask Joy! I don’t want to get sick again.
  • linder4866
    edited May 2023
    Good evening. Well, another day of drama and a total empty piggy bank. When the plumber left, he said, well, I did the best I could. Yipes, that doesn’t sound too confident. I was absolutely astounded by the prices charged. I had no idea!

And to add to the mix, I ordered a new robot vacuum cleaner that is suppose to operate without winding itself full of hair. I hope it is true. I am tired of trying to clean out my old one. I got out my old push around vacuum. I can work for a little while and then I have to stop and pull and cut and tug at tangles of hair. I think I struggle with that for longer than I actually run the vacuum. So 🤞🏻!

Sandy, I hope you do stay well! A mask is good idea.

Joy, how did your PT go today? Sorry the weather is not hospitable for exercising outdoors. Maybe soon?? We have had crazy winds but they have slowed down now and the temperatures are increasing. Kind of like spring?

Anne, aha, a batch of scones. You certainly can whip up lots of good eats in your kitchen. Yummmm.

Hello Patsy, Jackie, Barbie, Diane, Jeri and anyone else I may have missed.

Take care!

Hoping to get through a day without a major expenditure. 🫣

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

Such a cute elephant….
    34gm8wiis5jg.jpeg

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,166 Member
    iqxlx5o9ylp3.jpg
    84rca7lcxb42.jpg
    :) Here are some of the tulips in my yard. They are my reward for hands and knees work planting bulbs in cold wet October
  • Loveburg87
    Gorgeous tulips BARBIE and looking exactly like mine!!
    I don’t have to tell you ladies what the weather is doing here, sigh. The weatherman assures us that all will change on Saturday but I think he’s avoiding being lynched. However if he is correct here’s one ex Brit who won’t be watching the coronation which seems to be a waste of money when folks are struggling with high prices, this ex Brit will be out in the garden enjoying a bit of sunshine.

I’m hoping to see Mark and Mary Jo today if only to give MJ her flourishing seedlings. I believe they’ve avoided coming over for five days in case they picked up Corvid on their vacation. I do get treated like a piece of Dresden China at times! It works, as I had problems with the vaccination shots not with Corvid which I haven’t had so far. The government have sent me a huge email to tell me I should book a booster shot. I will desist telling them what they can do with their booster shot, being too much of a lady, lol.

And that’s about all from rainy Ontario.

Yours, (full from over eating scones, the ultimate comfort food on wet and gloomy days) ANNE.
  • Sandydur
    edited May 2023
    Happy Wednesday! 😀 Got here early this morning and again with a mask hoping to avoid getting sick. This poor little girl can’t stop coughing. I have given her cough medicine, a spoonful of honey and rubbed Vicks on her chest but nothing seems to help. I guess it has to run its course but I feel bad for her. After I left yesterday she threw up from coughing. I gave her a bucket in case it should happen again. I do not handle bodily functions very well.
    I leave for Florida a week from Saturday and can’t wait.

I found this picture in my memories. Look how young and cute we were in June of 1978.💕
    l945tzyrtd7t.jpeg

Have a good day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Hello! My visitor has headed home and I’m just back from my hospital dermatology cancer check where everything appeared fine. I’ve had a wonderful time with Charmaine as we’ve talked incessantly and caught up with 20 years of life. On Sunday I prepared a spaghetti bolognaise, then Monday she showed me how cook a variety of Sri Lankan curries and vegetable dishes and has left a variety of her spices so I can make my own! Last night we went to the local pub for a beer and plate of delicious fish and chips, this after we’d enjoyed a fabulous cream tea with fresh baked scones and yummy strawberry jam in the afternoon! Monday was Cornish pasty lunch so you can see, I haven’t stopped eating!! We did walk miles across the moors with George and Betty and another morning climbed up through the local woods to an area where the bluebells are in bloom and I was relieved to discover I can still get there because the path is extremely steep. The pooches are worn out but I will give them a couple of mornings of gentle exercise; for me too!
    The weather was beautiful throughout but this afternoon that awful chilly wind has returned which might mean the rain is on its way back!

I’ve caught up with your posts while sipping afternoon tea and will now feed the hens and make sure the seedlings don’t require watering.

Happy Wednesday.
    Jackie 🥰
  • virruth
    A good Wednesday morning to all. And Wowee to you 1978 Sandy!
    Lin…PT is coming along ok…too slowly because I am still in so much discomfort with my lower back. Its a little cool this week, bur I am certain you will hear me whine about it being too hot soon. 😲
    Sorry about those pricey plumbers….they wont even come out without a charge, no free estimates.
    Barbie how glorious your flowers are. You have a greener thumb than I.
    Anne, what are you making in the kitchen today. For a rainy day.
    Well, best to all today.
    Joy
  • Loveburg87
    Nothing exciting in my kitchen today Joy. However, I do love two fried eggs, chips and a veggie followed by what else, yes, a scone. That was lunch, that was.

It’s still raining here!

LIN, plumbers ARE expensive as we know from having the oak tree roots removed from our sewage pipes with a “snake” every so often. However I am luckier than you when it comes to replacing faucets after Bean and I endured Chinese torture from a constant plop, plop. Mark bought a new tap etc etc and saved a ton of money.

• linder4866
    Barbie, what lovely tulips! Thanks for sharing with us. 👍🏻👍🏻🌷🌷 tulip season is too short. My dad liked tulips and helped plant bulbs in the fall. I wonder if it was because his folks came from the Netherlands? Or just that they are an early bloomer with a riot of color.

Anne, I hope you were able to hand over the healthy seedlings. I think they need to go home. And I hope your weather warms up soon. We are on the upside of the rollercoaster now. It is actually 70 degrees F right now. We may get near 80 in the next few days.

Sandy, such fancy clothes! What type of party was involved. You have always been beautiful. ❤️

Jackie, what a lovely visit. Have you lost your voice? 😉 Wonderful meals, so much walking and of course, all the catching up. It was nice of her to leave some spices with you. Spectacular!

Joy, please feel free to whine whenever you feel the need. We are here for you. ❤️

Well, tomorrow the cable television repair person is suppose to show up. I hope nothing is done to make things worse. It has happened in the past. 🤞🏻🤞🏻 I am enjoying Paramount +. I think I will keep it.

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

b5gdy6xhdib2.jpeg

• Sandydur
    Bad news! Rob and Lisa got scammed with the new puppy. Very heartbreaking for all of us.
    Good news! I will help them look for a new puppy one that they can see in person.

Lin, that was a month after I met Babe and was invited to his parents 50th wedding anniversary party.
    Wonderful memories of the younger years.
    BTW, how did you know that was a Pomsky, I never heard of that breed. I did find one not too far from them but have no idea what the cost might be. This one was too good to be true but still a lot of money for them to lose.

Sandy
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Hello! It was a nice sunny day here. Perfect fir the construction guys to keep working on the rot removal. Down stairs double French doors were removed and new replaced. All the siding on one side downstairs is being replaced and upstairs French doors. This has been an expensive process. But it had to be done.

John and I have been dealing with a-fib but I think we have a good protocol now. John has more issues than that concerning his heart and his stroke-dementia problems. But we are determined to meet the challenges.

I am fixing a dinner similar to Ann’s tonight. Veggie sausages, egg whites over toast with hollandaise sauce and tomato slices. He will eat it but will fuss about there not being any meat.

I am happy to say the house cleaning lady will be coming again next Tuesday. All the construction has caused a lot of dust and debris. I am feeling very decrepit these days. More PT and more regular exercises in our future. I am so slow, it is hard to schedule everything into one day. I begged off on a visit withJohn’s nephew and his wife. I am fussy that way. If I don’t have anything in common with someone, no real connection, I don’t waste my time. A very bad trait! I could miss out on a very interesting friend. I must have a good long talk with myself about being more flexible and honoring new possibilities. Stop being a cranky old bitty!

Patsy☘️🔨🪚🛠🪠🧹🪣

• linder4866
    Sandy, we have all had numerous unhappy experiences I am sure. Have a good day.

Jackie, look what Kerry posted today.

btofsa5ryydv.jpeg

Must scoot. Repairman’s arrival time unknown.

Lin
  • virruth
    edited May 2023
    Jackie, I never walk outside….treadmill only, and I love picturing you outdoors getting all those steps in.
    Lin, not time for the cable guy! You reminded that I have Paramount Plus….tho I fear I signed up accidentally. My girls are always cautioning me about signing up and buying off the internet…but to no avail. I will have to check the programming since you mentioned it.
    I do subscribe to Brit Box and Acorn, but only to see certain programs, i sign up, watch, and cancel. Then redo when necessary. Love my detective stories, on tv or on my Kindle…..screen time, screen time. Now I am even doing crosswords online.
    Sandy, really sorry to hear about the puppy scam. Cant trust anyone these days.
    Patsy, you are dealing with Johns health so no reason to feel bad about begging off on certain visitors. Its the right thing to do, in my opinion.
    I spent today with Debbie and Lori. Lori has not bought clothes in years. Now she has some things on the calendar, so a few new outfits necessary….I walked around all the stores to keep my back and knee from getting too stiff. Balanced that with sitting in the store chairs. It was a day too long but fun otherwise. We finally took a lunch break. Yay. Tomorrow they are going to finish up and I am staying home. I did two days worth of shopping, but three will be too much!
    Best to all my Pals
    Joy
  • linder4866
    edited May 2023
    Man, I am pooped! What a lot of agony to get tv again. We no longer have cable tv, we have streaming tv. The box is fired by Android and the remote control is hideous. So nothing comes through the tv cable, I have to use my tv remote to change to HDMI1 so I can use Roku (with another Remote) and the streaming tv comes through on HDMI2. So 3 remotes to keep track of once again. While the cable guy was here, I talked to him about the age of my modem and he agreed to swap it out for a new one. I figured if they are charging me monthly for it, I want a newer one!

Joy, I love Paramount + but the change in service eliminated a lot of my channels so I have signed up for Hulu + Disney package (may not keep that) as well as Hallmark Movies. I have read many of the mystery book series that are used for the Hallmark mystery movie offerings. Looking forward to watching them. One reason I am signing up for extra services is that I can watch streaming tv only on the tv where he installed the new cable streaming box. My other 2 are on their own. I have a Roku on the tv upstairs so I will,be able to watch content there the only problem is the tv in my living room which has an ancient Firestick. I will have to see what I can do. Right now, I am actually still receiving cable tv there. During the transition they are still utilizing some cable. Odd that it works there but with no other tv in my house! And the additional services work on iPads, laptops, etc. Hndy!

Patsy, you are carrying quite a load now and seem to be coping very well. Bless you my friend.

Sandy, by the way, I knew about the Pomsky because people were calling them a miniature Husky (a favorite of mine).

Stay safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

e64d67mfnuiv.jpeg

• virruth
    edited May 2023
    Lin….oh gosh golly gee…..all those remotes. They make it so complicated. Glad you got the new modem. Hulu seems to have good programming plus regular network shows (going by the ads)…..Lori pays so much for her Cable service but it has all the channels she watches….Science, NatGeo, History, plus all that I watch too. So she does not want to pay for any streaming….altho she “allows” me to do the BritBox, Acorn as I do it thru Amazon. And it is extremely easy to stop and start😍. Our cable has regular Hallmark and Movies and Mysteries. I havent read any of the books, but we enjoy the movie versions. We have Disney thru my sons family plan. Yeah I watch on my Ipad, too. I did not want a tv in my bedroom because I like watching movies on the silly Ipad.
    Joy
  • jacAth3
    Another Friday, another week! Our nasty wet weather returned with a vengeance yesterday so after a short walk round the village I didn’t do very much but that meant George and Betty had a quiet time after all the walking and excitement of having a visitor.

This morning, after another relatively short walk, Linda collected me and we drove to the local lake for breakfast. The arrangement was for her to be here at 1030 so I walked out to the road to wait, just as a hefty rain shower arrived! Ten minutes later she phoned to let me know the road in St Cleer, where an ancient holy well is sited, was closed for a dressing of the Well.
    0xab1rd2xa79.jpeg

It’s a tradition practised all over the UK where wells and springs are decorated with designs created from flower petals. I won’t be long, was her message, they are just going to sing one more song, so I made a shelter under ivy by stamping down brambles and waited. You couldn’t make it up and we did laugh when she finally turned up 20 minutes late! This is village life in Cornwall.
    A friend of Linda’s had told her about a plant nursery a mile or so down the road so after breakfast we detoured and arrived at the property that had row upon row of healthy annual flowering plants in poly tunnels. The owner told us he had run the business since 1966 so I don’t know why neither of us knew of its existence but unfortunately he only accepted cash or a cheque which we didn’t have on us so the plan is to go back on Monday which is an extra Bank holiday for the Coronation, and buy a few amazing varieties..

We hear stories of scammers here pretending to have puppies for sale but the advice is to insist on seeing the pup’s mother in a home environment so horrors like inbreeding can be checked. The seller either doesn’t respond or soon hangs up on the phone! Not just pets though but any number of items offered for sale that don’t exist!

Lovely teapots coming through Lin, especially the elephant and it looks like Kerry’s dog is experiencing wet walks too, wrapped up in a warm towel!

Since it’s still raining I will get more seeds potted in the greenhouse. A tray of 12 mange tout peas only produced 3 seedlings for some reason so I must try another tray.

Happy Friday to you all. Stay safe.
    Jackie 🥰

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,166 Member
    :) We got rid of our cable TV over a year ago and have Amazon Prime (a bargain for us because we order a lot of stuff and get free shipping along with the TV shows) and Netflix (as part of a friend's membership). Our smart TV allows us to watch YouTube and Tubi that have lots of stuff to watch. That has been enough for us. We just finished Season Six of Better Call Saul and started Breaking Bad. We can watch current Jeopardy on You Tube. We can't watch the sports we want but we can watch highlights on You Tube.

:) We have been watching "Escape to the Country" and recently saw an episode set in Cornwall. They made a big deal about the coast but not so much about the interior. What a beautiful area although in the show, they implied that it was always sunny.

:) We won't buy a car unless we can sit in it and drive around in it but we got our last dog, Bessie, only through pictures on the internet and emails. I have a friend who gets dogs from the shelter and brings them home to see if they'll do well with her other pets before she agrees to accept a new pet.

:) It is rainier here today than it has been in a long time. After a two hour walk in the rain, I had to hang my clothes to dry.

<3 Barbie
  • linder4866
    edited May 2023
    Hello, it has been a drizzly afternoon and now still wet this evening. Today was a day of household chores, including washing out makeup brushes and all combs, brushes, holders, and my glass cotton ball jar. I put together a new shelf unit for my bathroom counter and found it was just over 1/2” too long. I had not taken into account the bulge out of the sink. Ooops. So I spent some time swapping the smaller unit I had ordered and filled earlier with the larger one. It worked out but took longer than expected.

I took a trip to the plant sale I had been looking forward to and unfortunately not many vendors showed up. And no cutting celery plants to be found. When I got home, I went across the street to talk to a neighbor who has done a lot to mitigate water issues on her lot. Very interesting.

My vacuum arrived late this afternoon. Good grief. The box weighed a ton and there is a fat manual on how to set it up. I will be reading for a month! I don’t think I will get the WiFi set up on the unit. Best to take this bit by bit.

Have a good evening.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

bh6dxjtlru2b.jpeg
  • Loveburg87
    Watching the coronation. Jilly barked at the horses but has lost interest now the choir is singing and has gone back to bed. Anne.
  • jacAth3
    skkwd57kerr8.jpeg

Jackie 🥰
  • Sandydur
    Happy Saturday! :) Charlie is on her way to my house to spend time with Grandma while the boys do their karate tournament. It is a rainy morning so we will be staying in. I hope to make our family video call if I can get showered and dressed in time. Mass later and hopefully an hour on my recumbent bike.
    I haven't see any of the coronation but I am sure our news will have lots of videos.

Have a good day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • virruth
    Sounds like a nice day, Sandy. As I said earlier, I did the shopping two days and we had tons of fun, but skipped yesterday to use heat pad and exercise. It almost feels like my lower back pain is getting worse. I plan to walk the treadmill and do my lower back stretches diligently. My therapist will be proud of me 😲 I couldn't do anything for an hour….so kudos to you. Had the best news when my granddaughter called me upon arrival in London. And today saw a video. It was a long planned vacation but there was a perfect surprise….my DIL had Sara’s sister arrive and be in the room when they arrived. So both girls and their Mom for the first four days. Then Jackie goes back to work, and Sara and her Mom travel to Scotland and Ireland. The surprise on Sara’s face was priceless. So happy to see on video.
    I dont even remember if I logged on yesterday.
    But, all the best to Anne, Barbie, Diane, Jackie, Lin, and Patsy. Hope your weekend is a good one.
    Joy
  • Loveburg87
    I thoroughly enjoyed the coronation, especially the parade. And I had a “coronation” quiche for lunch.

A beautiful day at last with the temperature at 60. Mark and Mary Jo came for a flying visit, initially to pick up the seedlings but Mark finished up mowing the lawns as well. They were carrying on to meet friends for coffee and then Bean and I had a walk. Other than that, a very quiet but happy day.

JOY, maybe your back needs a rest? My Mark has had back pain for three years or more and he’s only 58. However, the break from therapy whilst on holiday seems to have helped no end. Michael my eldest broke a bone in his back and had to have surgery in his late twenties. He doesn’t seem to have any problems these days at 61 but walks very upright. Military fashion.

I think Princess Anne is quite a girl in her early seventies. There she was on a large black horse trotting along with numerous other well behaved horses and all the kings marching men and women in perfect harmony with them all and behind the golden coach carrying her newly crowned brother and his queen.
    Another touch I liked, Queen Camilla’s beautiful white gown of embroidered wild flowers had two dogs embroidered on the hem. Pets? The pouring rain didn’t seem to dampen the crowds spirits.

And that’s my day. Just relaxing now and wondering what to have for tea. A garden salad I think.

Anne.
  • virruth
    Hi Anne, thx for the suggestions. I did my Pt stretches today and I did treadmill on low for 15. But mostly I am. Sitting here reading with a hot pad on my lower back. I broke my T6 earlier this year and I did nothing but rest as it healed and I have no pain at all in that area of my back. So for the rest of today I am heating and resting. I also bought an 8 hour Tylenol and took that. Enjoy that garden salad! Debbie picked up my Walmart groceries this morning and I got lettuce, etc. berries, too. No excuse not to eat healthy this weekend.
  • linder4866
    edited May 2023
    Hello friends! Another day spent with a bit of cleaning, straightening and sorting/tossing photos and other bits of paper and documents. I did make some progress today but it came at a price. Sadness as I did tackle the books, cards, and flower enclosures from the funerals of my dad, mom, aunt, uncle, and my grandmothers among other things. Old valentines,letters, postcards and photos from a long time ago. Many around 1900. Now, I do need to get rid of more photos. I am the keeper of most of the photos of my late aunt, and a good portion of the photos of my mom, her sisters, and her mother’s family. I cannot keep all of them but it is so difficult.

I tried to mend my grandfather’s old wooden (?) cigar box. The lid was ripped off, well, actually hanging by a thread. I don’t think I succeeded. I will check it again tomorrow when the glue has dried. Has anyone ever heard of William Penn cigars? I am guessing they were a cheaper brand. My grandparents didn’t have much money.

Well, I watched some of the coronation and then wanted to watch the Derby. Good grief, I thought the race would never start!!

Joy, good decision to use the heating pad. Do take care of your back.

Anne, Princess Anne is my family favorite. ❤️❤️

Sandy, I hope you had some fun with Charlie today. And hoping she is feeling better.

Jackie, I love the photo of George❤️❤️. Does he like watching the horses? I hope you had a good day .

Time to charge up this iPad.

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

eovjwnqnm7a1.jpeg