NSVs/Positive Changes

Options

Replies

• snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you carbmonster, I totally would not had had my workout day today if it wasn't for you guys! I was starting to feel under the weather yesterday and I was like, "there is no way I'm going to work out tomorrow!" But I did it today and it felt so good! I've had this video for like 6 years and have used it off and on to help me fight my bulge. But today was definitely one of my NSV's because not only did I complete the whole video (a first) but it actually felt a bit easier, even though I haven't done it for almost a year. V positive day :D
  • orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    ...I'm not sure I'll ever reach that level, but I'm hoping for a least a glimmer of the confidence that chick has going on lol.

...I would get two (sometimes more...ugh, hard to admit) to keep in the freezer and would eventually eat the same night. Even right before starting 5:2 I was hitting the drive-thru in the morning...
    Something is going on with you, something happened, I'm not sure...since your birthday...maybe it's my imagination, but you've jumped up to some other level...

...you ARE the woman in the black dress!

It takes total confidence to do the things you're doing and to admit the things you're saying...hat's off to you.
  • thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Ooooh!!! @jknight001 I totally recommend looking up this doctor who does podcasts (I think she has a website, too). Her name is Dr. Nina Savelle-Rocklin. I think if you search "Win the Diet War podcast" she will come up. Listening to her is a big lightbulb moment. She talks about exactly what you said!

The first thing I ever heard her in was another podcast called "Let's Reverse Obesity" where she was interviewed. She makes it click! Don't know if I can paste this link...feel free to PM me as well :)

http://www.letsreverseobesity.com/017-dr-nina-savelle-rocklin-interview-coping-skills-binge-eating-and-food-addition

(Just a tip, I use Stitcher Radio app on my phone to listen/stream podcasts instead of having to download to a device. You can search for almost any active podcast and stream it directly. I think you can also listen to most podcasts on a computer as well.)
  • thecarbmonster
    Options
    @orlcam...maybe it's the old another year wiser saying lol.

Thanks for the nice words! I don't feel like anything is different since I've felt positive about this new way of eating/outlook since near the beginning and seeing it starting to work, but I think I have crossed over from a "if it happens" to "I am making happen" mentality.

For my birthday (which just happened to be in the right timeframe after starting 5:2), I had aimed to lose 29-30 pounds...mostly because that's the most I've lost consecutively dieting before in 2012. That "successful" dieting attempt took me more than 7 months of starting and stalling and scale games (I'm sure we're all familar with). Immediately after I hit that "lowest" weight I went back up 7 pounds in the next two days and then started another fun game of trying to get back to that magical number.

I just watched as my weight continued going up and up and then gaining more and more onto that highest number. My depression and anxiety seemed to amp up to new levels where- instead of just sitting on the backburner at a slow boil like normal- just the thought of another day of just existing was suffocating and paralyzing. I blamed myself for my laziness and my lack of motivation instead of seeing the true source, and turned to food. I started to use food at first to comfort, as I always had, but then soon started to use food in a new way to harm. I started eating more and more to feel uncomfortable, disgusting, and even to gain weight so I could blame my body for all my problems.

Thankfully, I was able to change my medicine and started going to a therapist again. Slowly, things started coming back to me again. I could be hopeful and positive again without it hurting. I started a blog and came a LONG way mentally just writing it out and sharing. I saw big changes in myself mentally, but never saw any longterm changes in my weight because I didn't really change the way I ate. I kept with what I "knew"- depriving myself for days/weeks, over-exercising, cutting out whole food groups for that instant glimmer of hope and then when that doubt would creep back up, or the scale wasn't moving fast enough (oh, young Katie...), I would go back to bingeing for that comfort/good feeling again that I was getting through the scale.

And then this diet came right at the right time- like I was finally ready and open for the opportunity.

The change I feel in creating a positive relationship with food and finally being able to use it as a tool as I'm losing weight feels magical because it happened/clicked so fast lol...but it's because I finally feel "here".
  • debbie389
    debbie389 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    My nsv is I'm still here and working 5:2 after 5 months. It's the easiest plan I've ever done, and I love the fact that it fits around my life. I can go out and not worry about what to eat, or what's the lowest calorie item on the menu. I don't have to worry about having that glass of wine or two or even three. Chocolate doesn't have the same hold over my anymore, I can have that one bit and leave the rest for another day.

I've always been big(fat), at least 100/130lb overweight. I've tried shakes, replacement meals, weight watchers, slimming world...... basically everything and always ended up putting back on, and I've never ever stuck to any of them.

I now feel like I've started living instead of just existing. I now understand the term 'eat to live not live to eat'. I have a better relationship with food, and am finally able to enjoy my life. I'm looking forward to being able to wear a skirt, in the summer, without my thighs rubbing together and ending up raw.
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Carbmonster you are such an inspiration!
  • thecarbmonster
    Options
    Ahhh @debbie389, I'm in love! Major congrats on keeping it going for 5 months! I gotta catch up girl! So inspired by how far you've come!!!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    My weekend's NSV....

I bought a skirt on Saturday...It ends just over the knee...I also found a pair of knee high boots with heals to go over my very muscular, not so feminin calves.

I wore my new threads to a birthday party and not only I liked my new look ;-) It felt good to act and look girlie! :p
  • orlcam
    Options
    OK, that's enough...geojeepgirl's talking about her booty in the news feed and now you're talking about sensuously pulling up your black knee high boots over your amazonian calves...yes, yes, I know I added my own adjectives, but that is not the point! My wife's in Italy, I'm living alone here people...have a heart!
  • flumi_f
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Come on Oricam- the boots are grey ;-) and the first knee high boots I've ever owned!! Was never able to close them before. So I was kind of thrilled and I rocked that outfit!

Oh and did I mention, I had my ladies rehung 2.5 weeks ago. 40kg between highest and current weight had taken it's toll. Very happy with the results. No one slapping me left and right anymore as soon as I can get back to running :p

Was that tm-girlie-i??

Oh and say hi to your wife o:)
  • orlcam
    Options
    ok...now you're just being mean!

On another note...WOW on the 40kg!
    I recently ran across a few blogs of some people who had to have skin removal surgery (they showed pictures)...it definitely worries me. I push those thoughts to the back of my mind...I'll deal with it when I get there.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    I'm often amazed how well some people's skin bounces back. Alot of people get good results through lifting weights or have good skin-genes, etc. Sadly mine won't. After a lifetime of being overweight, there is too much damage done. It has gone back a little on the upper arms and inner thighs. So I absolutely recommend doing workouts that include whole body and core strength from the beginning of weightloss. You can't change your genes, but you can influence your muscles and build up strength.

Anyway I decided a while back, if I ever reach my normal weight range (achieved that last January), I would start planning my skin removal. I carried most of my weight on my front side (bust and stomach). So that is exactly where most of my extra skin is and also the two surgeries I decided to have. Bust is done and all went so much better than I could have imagined as far as pain, recovery and result goes! I did do the work before - got strong, fit and healthy with varying workouts, fought with my insurance and informed myself well about the procedures.

I will have my abs and stomach done next June. Though my insurance says, there is no medical need....it still bothers me during workouts and it's definitely not a pretty sight. It also seems like part of an past life now. Just not me anymore. I feel privelaged, that I can afford to do it and that I have a lovely mother, who insisted on paying for part of the reconstruction. I've also found an excellent, no nonsense plastic surgeon, that I feel very comfortable with.

Don't push the thoughts back....get as strong as you can and see what you look like at the end. Try to avoid being skinny fat at your goal weight :)
  • thecarbmonster
    Options
    @flumi_f in love haha! Dem boots were made for walking...wait, cross that out. Dem boots were made for strutting ya new booty!
  • flumi_f
    Options
    You know it, Carbi!! Gonna wear them and my skirt again this week!! Oh, and the booty is the old one. Go around front and one floor up, heehee :p
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    flumi_f wrote: »
    I'm often amazed how well some people's skin bounces back. Alot of people get good results through lifting weights or have good skin-genes, etc. Sadly mine won't. After a lifetime of being overweight, there is too much damage done. It has gone back a little on the upper arms and inner thighs. So I absolutely recommend doing workouts that include whole body and core strength from the beginning of weightloss. You can't change your genes, but you can influence your muscles and build up strength.
    (...)

I will have my abs and stomach done next June. Though my insurance says, there is no medical need....it still bothers me during workouts and it's definitely not a pretty sight. It also seems like part of an past life now. Just not me anymore. I feel privelaged, that I can afford to do it and that I have a lovely mother, who insisted on paying for part of the reconstruction. I've also found an excellent, no nonsense plastic surgeon, that I feel very comfortable with.
    (...)

Probably at some point of no return, outstretched skin can't bounce back. I've seen threads about doing strength to improve excess skin. Just a thought...maybe eating foods rich in collagen or a inflammation reducing diet can assist too? Don't eat NSAIDS pills, though.

I've had problems with skin healing properly. A big dent in my quad muscle that wouldn't go away (took an unintended backwards salto off a chair) Permanent bruising on shin after a severe accident where I fell between the metro car and platform (embarrassing). Clearly my skin isn't doing the normal healing replacing damaged tissue. Had no problems with scarring etc before. But after I consciously try to eat more anti-inflammatory, the bruising on shin is weaker and the dent in thigh is smaller. I also foamroll it! All of this might be placebo. I mean, there might be other things that improved my skin healing.

I don't know if any of this would help you. Just an idea:)

Edit: Make sure you have balance of minerals and electrolytes! I'm experimenting now taking my minerals before bed. Since most of the cell repairing is during sleep.

• flumi_f
    Options
    Thanks Foamroller. My skin actually heals well, actually alot better than I expected. I'm amazed, how the incisions are healing so quickly! It's 3 weeks tomorrow since the operation and parts of the incisions have almost disappeared!! I 'blame' 5:2 for part of that success! I was always healthy, but since I've been on 5:2, I have excellent health and don't remember my last cold or flu. My meals are all home cooked and very heavy on the veggies, low on processed grains or other processed foods. So I should be ok from that perspective.

My stretched skin from my weight was definitely point of no return. Being overweight all of my life and gaining quickly in my teens probably did that. Also at 5'1 1/5'' I went from 97kg in 2000 to 57kg now. That's alot of weight on a pretty short person. But hey, still better to have extra skin than extra weight.

I know not everyone wants or needs skin removal. For me it's part of my journey to the real me. A person I'm finally getting to know :-)

I'm still interested in what foods are antiflammatory and what causes that. Do you have some examples?
  • orlcam
    Options
    I haven't commented lately, but I'm still reading everything you all are posting about this. I need to do some more research...any recommended resources? On the diet Foamie? Specific workouts Flumi? (Flumi, Foamie, Foamie, Flumi, teehee)
  • flumi_f
    Options
    I run, horse back ride, swim, bike, worked on strength machines for 2 years, then changed to dumbbells and dvd circuit training - two rounds of Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, some Fitness Blender workouts, Lean Machines, P90xAbs, Jillian's Yoga Meltdown and Kickboxing a few times.

Regular planks and push ups and other body weight exercises really helped build my arm and core strength. Started running at the same time I started 5:2. Started really slow and without a plan. Just listened to my body and never over did it. I now feel quite comfortable running 7-12k at an average pace of 7min/km including and incline of 250m on the first half of the run. I workout 3-5x a week. How often depends on my other plans, work schedule, weather....

As you see, I like to vary my workouts. I mix and match cardio and strength every week without any real plan. I do what I enjoy. More cardio outside in the summer months, more circuit dvds in the winter combined with shorter runs. I prepared myself for the first operation with the 30 day shred and will probably do Jillian's 6 weeks 6 pack before my stomach operation.

At the moment I'm doing nordic walking, as that's pretty much all I'm allowed to do. As of Nov. 15th I will be allowed to run and ride again and in Dec./Jan. I'd like to do another round of the Shred to get back into my before OP form.

You can find all sorts of dvds on YouTube and if you want to run, alot of people use the C25K app (Couch to 5km). When I was heavier, I did nordic walking (fast walking with poles). I changed to running, because as I got fitter, I couldn't get my puls up enough anymore (side effect of having a low puls and getting fitter). If you don't workout much yet, start slow and pick something you like doing. Exercise shouldn't feel like a chore. Even if I do curse at Jillian after those travelling pushups or jump lunges....I still like sweating and using my muscles ;-)

The better you work your core, as well as all other muscles, the better you will look, even with extra skin.
  • thecarbmonster
    Options
    @flumi_f you're making me sweat just reading all of your workouts! You are seriously badass :) I'm still pumped I'm getting off my butt to get out of the office and walk a mile lately. 3 days a week is my goal. Today's rainy and nasty, so here's toping we get a break in the clouds to get out there!

I have an itch to exercise at home, but I'm still gunshy to start something. When I start a workout program, I go full-throttle and get burnt out really quick. And of course, the diet follows, etc. That's why I'm focusing on things that won't overwhelm me and I can keep doing over time...not just fizzle out. I have an aerobic step in my closet that I'm thinking of using to just step up/walk while watching TV. Seems easy enough to fit in every day considering how much Netflix I watch haha.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    @thecarbmonster - took me a while to even start home DVDs too.

I'm in a fb group, who's goal is fitness and weightloss. They got me into it with some monthly challenges. Short workouts, but daily. Then I realized, how much more effective 15-30min bodyweight/dumbbell/cardio circuits are, than visiting the gym for 1.5h twice a week. And all of a sudden, I stopped going to the gym ;-) Won't be renewing my membership either.

Being able to combine a 30min workout inside with a 45min run outside just seems to suit me during the dark half year. And a JM workout or two on a rainy day....pretty darn effective. Just be careful if you are new to those kinds of workouts. Don't be over eager. It's always form over speed and ego. Then you won't injure yourself.

Using the step up is a great start. Combine that with a few planks, crunches and pushups and you are on your way!! I only have a mat, a few dumbbells. Oh and a resistance band as well as a small foam roller, but I don't use those much.