NSVs/Positive Changes

Options

Replies

• lulu1066
    lulu1066 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Carbi girl - a friend of mine has a mantra 'If the problem's not hunger, the solution isn't food'. Stick to it. You'll be lovely and slim and they'll still be idiots. Wanted to use another word for idiots, but don't like to shock folk, so substitute your own word here. Have a hug over the atlantic from here instead... x
  • thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much snaps, flumi, lulu!!! Love that mantra. I'll definitely have to write that down on my phone. I keep a notepad app with all my positive sayings/affirmations to repeat when I'm feeling down or to keep it fresh. Thanks :D
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    love this. i'm stealing it :)
    lulu1066 wrote: »
    'If the problem's not hunger, the solution isn't food'.
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    WOW! @thecarbmonster - Yesterday was a banner day in your healing! I am so excited for you! For those of us who are food challenged it really boils down to realizing how we are using food. Milkshakes are tasty but do nothing for the frustrations we have inside. True freedom comes when we realize that food is a poor god. You did an amazing thing when you truly took care of yourself! You are growing in your perspective on food. So exciting! :smiley: WTG, girl!
  • jknight001
    Options
    I realized another NSV today. I don't feel nearly as guilty as I used to when I was on just a standard reduced calorie diet. Seems like it was way to easy to blow it on the old diet. With 5:2, if I blow it, I know getting back on track is just two fasts away. I know I can handle that. No guilt needed.
  • JJA14
    JJA14 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have been lurking on this thread, just enjoying reading all the positive messages. Thank you all.
    What I find incredible is all the similarities we have. Reading other people say things like 'bury myself in food' or 'drown myself in milkshake' (for me wine, not milkshake but hey ho!) is so useful.
    As I've said a couple of times already on other threads, 5:2 for me has been a huge release from guilt and obsession and eating for habit.
    My mantra will, from now on, always be "If hunger isn't the problem, food isn't the solution"
    Thank you.
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    When I put sugar in my tea on fast days I have a 4g. limit. Before 5:2 I used to put in 10g :# . Now if I even try to put 5g. on non-fast days I tastes too sweet! So NSV, I don't need as much sugar. Still have a sweet teeth but it wont be in my tea! B)
  • thecarbmonster
    Options
    JJA14 wrote: »
    I have been lurking on this thread, just enjoying reading all the positive messages. Thank you all.
    What I find incredible is all the similarities we have. Reading other people say things like 'bury myself in food' or 'drown myself in milkshake' (for me wine, not milkshake but hey ho!) is so useful.
    As I've said a couple of times already on other threads, 5:2 for me has been a huge release from guilt and obsession and eating for habit.
    My mantra will, from now on, always be "If hunger isn't the problem, food isn't the solution"
    Thank you.

@JJA14! That is so awesome! I feel exactly the same- it totally feels like relief! My biggest realization through this journey and finally feeling like my head is above water is that I wasn't using food as comfort- I was using it to self-harm. I would eat more and more to feel stuffed and disgusting and sick and get bigger. I really feel, with the help of this group and this way of eating, I have created a more positive relationship with food I never knew was possible. I have definitely eaten a lot more than I should over the past month, but I was shocked I was able to maintain around 295 and didn't hit above 300. I still can't believe that I am 6 months into this thing! I never EVER would have dreamed to make it 6 WEEKS on a diet.
  • thecarbmonster
    Options
    jknight001 wrote: »
    I realized another NSV today. I don't feel nearly as guilty as I used to when I was on just a standard reduced calorie diet. Seems like it was way to easy to blow it on the old diet. With 5:2, if I blow it, I know getting back on track is just two fasts away. I know I can handle that. No guilt needed.

I'm still in disbelief at how this diet works and that it actually works! And so true, there is no guilt, there is no blowing it, there are just fasts :) I think the best part of this diet is that it's like you're learning how to eat at maintenance the whole time by eating TDEE on your non-fast days. I feel like that's how I was able to maintain during the holidays. I just threw in fast days (even though I was eating WAY more than TDEE) and it evened out somehow. No 100% commitment but feels like 100% results haha.

• thecarbmonster
    Options
    snaps27 wrote: »
    When I put sugar in my tea on fast days I have a 4g. limit. Before 5:2 I used to put in 10g :# . Now if I even try to put 5g. on non-fast days I tastes too sweet! So NSV, I don't need as much sugar. Still have a sweet teeth but it wont be in my tea! B)

That's awesome!!! I love that approach of still enjoying the things you love, but starting to just cut back a little. I feel like it's almost like reducing dependence on food. On my fast days, I can make it through without stuffing myself silly and can still feel satisfied and like I have enough energy. TDEE days are still a mental hurdle because when I can eat anything I want to eat everything lol. I'm hoping that planning them out better and making them more automatic while maintaining the "free/non-strict" part of it by reserving X amount of calories for going out and then back-filling the rest of the day. Time for some experiments haha.
  • jknight001
    Options
    JJA14 wrote: »
    Thank you.

I am tacking that one to my brain!
  • jknight001
    Options
    No 100% commitment but feels like 100% results haha.

I so agree. Maybe we can get @orlcam to add that as one of our slogans. :smile:

• chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    One word...Freedom!!!
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Hi all...Thought I should put these thought in the NSVs.

I have discovered a correlation between the foods I crave and memories. As some of you may know I moved to London from Seattle when I was 23 to settle with my husband. It was an abrupt move and difficult (but necessary) to leave my friends and family. It has now been nearly 12 years since I relocate and I have not been back to the states since. But what I have realised is that almost all of the food I crave are ones that bring back memories from the first 23 years of my life (the tastes bring my memories right back). Maybe my need to remember is so strong that I need the food to bring be back there. Oh my gosh, I'm like almost crying here...I guess I'm on the right track. Talk about emotional eating. Hopefully my discovery will help be build a better relationship with food.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    They say the sense of smell is directly linked to your memories and emotions. Possibly one of the reasons your cravings are linked to foods from your childhood as a huge part of the taste of food is actually it's odor. I do think, you are on to something!
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Flumi is right. Sense, smell and sound are very close to executive part of the brain. Because in order to recognize danger and handle it swiftly and correctly we need to be able to react fast. (while visual memory takes longer time, recognizing faces are like 3-4 synapses away).

Maybe you're right Snaps. Maybe you somehow long for or miss your friends and family and eating is a way to feel closer to those cherished memories. I don't know. I do know that overeating is predominantly a FLIGHT response in amygdala. So maybe you got some unfinished business there? It's good of you to start connecting the dots within yourself and your patterns. It's the only way, in my opinion, to true healing. Not just fix symptoms. Take care of yourself, it can be vulnerable opening up to those hidden things.
  • orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I can believe that...I wrote a post in the old group that eluded to the human association of comfort with food through the millennia. I think most of have memories where good times, family events, and feeling protected went side by side with our favorite foods.

• karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    My nsv? Really dumb but here it is

I went into the shop to buy a scrubbing brush and walked out with only a scrubbing brush!!!! Nothing else! No chocolate, no iced coffee, no doughnuts, no nothing!!!!! Yayyyyyy!!!!!!
  • orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options

I went into the shop to buy a scrubbing brush and walked out with only a scrubbing brush!!!! Nothing else! No chocolate, no iced coffee, no doughnuts, no nothing!!!!! Yayyyyyy!!!!!!
    That IS a good one...congrats. 7+ months and I haven't pulled that off yet, but I'm not a big sweets guy...I walk out with things like boudin, rib-eyes and bbq ribs.

• karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Thanks mate! I'm a reformed chocoholic, there was no possible way I could walk past chocolate without eating it. I even had to hide the Easter eggs at the neighbours house so I wouldn't eat them

orlcam wrote: »

That IS a good one...congrats. 7+ months and I haven't pulled that off yet, but I'm not a big sweets guy...I walk out with things like boudin, rib-eyes and bbq ribs.