NSVs/Positive Changes

Options

Replies

• flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I definitely see a big difference! And there are some ab muscles shining through too! Great work!
  • EmmaOnTrack
    EmmaOnTrack Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    flumi_f wrote: »
    I definitely see a big difference! And there are some ab muscles shining through too! Great work!
    Ab muscles?! I had no idea I even had any of those...let alone seen them. Yay!

• flumi_f
    Options
    You never know, what you'll discover, if you go deep enough :p

Wondering at the moment, what mine will look like in a year...I have another skin removal surgery scheduled for June (belly flap and abs). Maybe mine will see daylight one day too....
  • EmmaOnTrack
    Options
    You never know, what you'll discover, if you go deep enough :p

Wondering at the moment, what mine will look like in a year...I have another skin removal surgery scheduled for June (belly flap and abs). Maybe mine will see daylight one day too....
    I'm sure they will!

• orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Oh boy! How lucky am I?! I'm definitely feeling lucky...I need all other guys to stay away...yall are mine! all mine! tsk...I need to get a grip here...dial it down...breathe...breathe...

OK...please, no one use the line "I see you like my big brother", that'll just kill it for me.

Um, would it be inappropriate of me to start asking for certain poses? I minored in photography took a photography course read a book about photography once...so I've got skills...mad mad skills.

Ok, all joking aside...you ladies are a special bunch, I'm honored to be riding along for this small part of your lives...and I really don't mind being a big brother...I do feel a tad protective and my hope is that all of you can keep waving those checkered flags each and every day.

Rus

• flumi_f
    Options
    @orlcam...I did invite my 5:2 men friends to the group, but, they haven't come here yet. Looks like you lucked out ;-) Love your humor btw!

NSV of the last days.....still feeling pretty awesome and beautiful! Not perfect, but beautiful, which is a huge change. Also successfully repeated the hair straighting process on my own after washing too! Lookin' good!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Wow - everyone seems to be doing so well! I am so happy for all of you and besides you gave me a nice chuckle on a Monday morning! As most of you know, I've been struggling but it's all head based (me fighting with likely childhood issues hehe)! But I had some really crazy dreams last night and maybe I'm making some progress. I had crazy dreams about control. I'm a control freak, even though I can't control anything really. So I had dreams about kids out of control, work out of control, husband out of control and when I woke up feeling icky I instantly thought food out of control. So I hope I'm making some sort of connection here, but it made sense when I woke up and still does. What a crazy night :) I normally don't have dreams like this so something must be stirring up inside which is good!
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Carlsoda - isn't it cool, when you can feel, change is just around the corner!! Sounds like you are at a turning point! Yay!

And yes those lovely childhood issues....caused me to be overweight for 45yrs, until I learned to let go.... At that point the weight started falling off and lots of other things started to change.
  • thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Yay Emma!!! Way to go! Your confidence is shining through!

Turkey week (for the US peeps) so good reminder for me to be thankful for all the NSVs so far. Even when I feel like they might be small, they add up quick!

Not technically an NSV because it's related to the scale, but I finally feel like the weight isn't going to sneak back onto me over night. I've paid attention to my weight fluctuations over the past few months, so I know that they will fall right off. Also, since I'm learning new boundaries with eating at my TDEE, there isn't a need to binge. Instead of going hog-wild, I can enjoy and let loose with a new comfortable "fence". New relationship with food is continuing to improve.
  • EmmaOnTrack
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving week y'all (you didn't know I could speak American, did you?!). :)
  • thecarbmonster
    Options
    Hi everyone! Sorry for posting and bringing this post back from the dead, but I absolutely cherish all of the amazing things everyone has shared with the group and shared with each other. This group is an amazing source of strength and inspiration for me! (I should post that on the weekly post, too!!!!)

Just wanted to give everyone a chance to share NSV's from the year, whether your journey was with 5:2 or not, or whether it was for a few days or the whole year.

For me, I'm still in shock how this plan has clicked. It tackled all of the things I struggled with and felt intimidated and overwhelmed with. Now, I truly feel I am in control and do anything. I feel lightyears from where I was before starting 5:2- depression and anxiety is under control, I feel more confident at work, I feel more comfortable in my skin.

I'm excited to wear a dress on NYE and feel and look like a completely different person than when I wore it the last time for a holiday party last year.

I'm excited that I am reclaiming my bigger closet for clothes that DO FIT vs the clothes that are too tight or I wouldn't dare leave the house in.

Ugh, so many NSVs that I couldn't even do them all at once. I could spam all day! I'm sure I'll be back to share more lol!
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Throw them at us Carbi! We are always up for a good NSV!!
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Throw them at us Carbi! We are always up for a good NSV!!

+1 :D
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Had to bring this post back cause it a good one (thanks Carb).

So since I've been fasting (almost 5 months) I have notice some health benefits! I don't know if it's fasting or the weight loss, but it has happen since starting 5:2.

Firstly, I have suffered from a small area of psoriasis for 7 years and not it is nearly completely gone. This is such a miracle for me because I have suffered so long and to finally be able to sleep the night without waking up every five seconds is so brilliant and that's an understatement
    (I could cry if I thought about it too much).

Secondly, (sorry boys), but my monthly cramps have been significantly less, so much so that I don't have the need to reach for the pain killers. My cramps have been bad, well since I started!

I am so happy to have started 5:2 and to see so much improve! Anyone else see any health benefits?
  • lulu1066
    lulu1066 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Agree snaps that this is a lovely thread and just the thing for a cold morning on a FD. Feel slightly fraudulent posting on this after only two weeks of 5:2 but NSV for me are
    1. Really enjoying food. FD meal of soup tastes like heaven in a jar.
    2. Telling myself I can have it. tomorrow. and the next day not really fancying it after all.
    3. A slow realization that I may not have to buy nasty bigger ski pants off amazon in two weeks - I may get into lovely posh pants in attic if I'm a very good girl.
    4. Getting to read and share with all you lovely people on a daily basis.
    5. My back doesn't hurt. I woke up three or four times in the night before I started this. Weird co-incidence? I think not.
  • thecarbmonster
    Options
    Ugh, those are so wonderful @lulu1066 and @snaps27!

I keep forgetting about health benefits of 5:2! The part I'm the most interested in is reduced inflammation. Since I haven't been steadily fasting, my back has been going crazy! I wonder if that has something to do with inflammation. I hadn't had any trouble until I stopped fasting regularly! Weird!

I guess it's not technically a NSV, but I haven't gained during the holidays. Even though I went all out some days, I still added some fast days and managed to maintain. It's an NSV for me because I never thought I could maintain and not shoot back up 10-20 pounds during the holidays. I have gained so much confidence that I can keep pushing and reach my goals.

And belatedly, I'll add that I felt great in my dress on NYE. I never dreamed I could be 45 pounds less than I was the year before in the same dress. My body shape hasn't changed much (thanks hips!), but my face was thinner and my stomach was flatter (didn't feel like a maternity dress this year lol).

Everyday I feel confident that I can make it to my goals and it doesn't stress me that it may take a while to get there.
  • lulu1066
    lulu1066 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    45lbs in a year is super. Well done you and I am very impressed that you didn't put more on at christmas - that was my downfall and the reason why i am here. But I am very glad that I am!
  • thecarbmonster
    Options
    @lulu1066 you are definitely in the right place! This group keeps me coming back and renewing my dedication everyday!

So this is a bit of a rant, and I feel like I just need to get the negative part off my chest and celebrate the positive, so here is an off topic rant/but becomes a NSV in the end :)

I got really pissed off/upset at work yesterday. It was a meeting at the end of the day (on a fast day) reviewing a presentation with people who do the same type of thing I do but I don't normally work with (thankfully). Because I threw everyone's slides together for the presentation we were reviewing, I ended up also having to make changes during the meeting. Everyone was arguing and taking frustration out on each other and I felt like I was at my boiling point the whole time. I walked away feeling like I was ready to explode in mixture of anger and being upset. I felt like I just couldn't get it "out" of my system. I thought of just going through the drive-thru and drowning my feelings in a milkshake. The whole way home I was so tempted and just wanted something to bury my feelings in so I could transfer it to something else I was in control of- like bingeing.

Instead, I just let myself feel it. It hurts to go through emotions and let yourself be hurt and take others' comments personally, but I had to just let it. I let myself take the minute, the hour, however long as long as I didn't let it transfer to other things. I made it home and focused on my planned dinner. I still felt myself simmering over it a few hours later, but eventually I forgot about it. It was the past, it didn't affect how I felt now, or how I treat myself now.

I had almost completely forgotten about it this morning and didn't feel any emotional tie to it. I just went on with my day. Even seeing people again today, I just let it go and try to continue on. I considered talking to the person who was especially negative yesterday and tell them how I felt and how I took their comments as personal (even though I know it was just towards the frustration of the whole project [and towards a another person in the meeting that they often butt heads with and I just got caught in the crossfire]), but we had to coordinate again this morning and there was no tension (because it really wasn't towards me, it was their frustration with others) so I forgot to bring it up so I don't think I need to after all. I think it was just a one-time, caught in cross-fire thing. However, I will make sure to talk to them right after if it happens again before I let myself carry it and simmer over it and almost sabotage myself.

Too often I internalize and make myself understand the other person or blame myself (either because I didn't voice how I felt or because I did something wrong) without communicating it to others. That is what makes it simmer over and upset me and make me seek the wrong ways to "numb" it.

However, today, after struggling with it last night and almost drowning my feelings in a milkshake, I feel empowered and in control of my feelings, how I treat myself, how I respect myself and my body, and not letting things like that (outside of my control) control or dictate how I treat myself or others. I can look back on a negative experience and see it as a positive because I proved to myself that even when I felt weak and like I could throw it all away (it's just ONE milkshake lol), I was stronger than even I knew.
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    That is so brilliant. I also find myself internalising my feelings or getting really angry and saying "darn it, I deserve that cookie!!" Just letting yourself feel, it's brave and brilliant. People can be crap sometimes and it normally has nothing to do with us, it's them that has something going on, so why should we let their going on make us feel worse and putting on the pounds.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    WELL DONE Carbi!!! That was more than 'just' one milkshake! Lot's of power and strength in that experience for you! Thanks for sharing.