NSVs/Positive Changes

Options

Replies

• flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    That's awesome Karen! I know that feeling, when I go shopping and stick to my list...doesn't always happen.

I'm not quite recovered from my chocolic career. One of my 'problems' is, I live in Switzerland....the land of great chocolate :p

I do ok if I stick to dark chocolate...milk chocolate disappears....
  • lulu1066
    lulu1066 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    lovely nsv yesterday. ran into marks as they were having a sale and grabbed some size UK14 things to try on. Had to go back to the rack and get 12s! I have put some weight on the scales after my skiing holiday but it hasn't seemed to have expanded my girth. My hips don't lie. Fasting today in small skirt.
  • cal0rina
    cal0rina Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    What a great thread!
    I am using back pain and stress as my motivation for exercising, my nsv is beginning to appreciate my body for what it CAN do, and not just beating myself up for what it can't do.
    I am gonna use "if hunger is not the problem then food is not the solution"
    Thanks everyone x
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    snaps27 wrote: »
    Hi all...Thought I should put these thought in the NSVs.

I have discovered a correlation between the foods I crave and memories. As some of you may know I moved to London from Seattle when I was 23 to settle with my husband. It was an abrupt move and difficult (but necessary) to leave my friends and family. It has now been nearly 12 years since I relocate and I have not been back to the states since. But what I have realised is that almost all of the food I crave are ones that bring back memories from the first 23 years of my life (the tastes bring my memories right back). Maybe my need to remember is so strong that I need the food to bring be back there. Oh my gosh, I'm like almost crying here...I guess I'm on the right track. Talk about emotional eating. Hopefully my discovery will help be build a better relationship with food.

Thank you so much for posting this. I am sure many, like myself, can relate. Food is comforting and our earliest memories can be tied to favorite meals at home. I think for me, the trick is to begin to replace the emotions the food evokes with the reality. Food can never provide us what a real human emotional connection can.

I wish you well on this journey. It will be exciting!

• lulu1066
    Options
    I love this thread too. It's saved me from many a packet of cheezits.
  • orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Anyone else have Mardi Gras in their area?

NSV: got no fatter on fat tuesday
  • jknight001
    Options
    orlcam wrote: »
    Anyone else have Mardi Gras in their area?

NSV: got no fatter on fat tuesday

I heard on the radio that to be a true New Orleansian (?) you need to be into dress up. Apparently costumes are a big deal in N.O. Will you be dressing up this year?

• flumi_f
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Today's NSV :)

Had a fast run (1hr / 8.3k / 165m incline up and down). Even after running the downhill part, I had no knee or hip pain. This has been setting in after about 6k during the last few months. The run is one of my longest and fastest in a long while. I have the Jillian Michael's 6 Week 6 Pack video to thank for that. There is quite a bit of leg strength work in there and it has made my legs stronger again in just two weeks. I noticed the same effect last year, while working on her 30 day shred.

Yay for cross training! It's definitely worth the effort. Oh and my waist was 2 cm smaller this morning even though the scale doesn't show lower numbers in comparison to the last few weeks. I think, that is also due to my work with Jillian. The burns might not be as high as when doing cardio work, but the effects on the body are so worth the work :p
  • lulu1066
    Options
    that's certainly a NSV! well done you x
  • jknight001
    Options
    @flumi_f - Yes, I agree that women need to work their muscles in addition to cardio. Without muscle training we get weaker and weaker. As we get older we eventually can't even get out of a chair without help. And of course the inability to move leads to more weight gain and we all know where this story goes.

Congrats to you. Treating your body well and it is loving you for it!
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I also found the Jillian Michaels videos very effective. I can do them at home and I prefer the ones that only take 20 minutes to complete like the 30 Day Shred. Like she says, it's just 20 minutes! It is tough and I recommend beginners start slowly, but 20 minutes later you can check exercise off your To Do list and go about your day feeling awesome.
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! You all are so comforting! NSV- taking time to work on myself...it's not easy letting things go and be selfish and focus on me, but I know I need to do it. The battles I have with my emotions are constant, but I think I'm winning. This is a journey not only of the scale but of self.
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Well done @snaps27‌ that's a fantastic nsv
  • flumi_f
    Options
    The battles I have with my emotions are constant, but I think I'm winning. This is a journey not only of the scale but of self.

Excellent @snaps27! I'm sure, you will love the person, that was there all along!
  • cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    flumi_f wrote: »
    Come on Oricam- the boots are grey ;-) and the first knee high boots I've ever owned!! Was never able to close them before. So I was kind of thrilled and I rocked that outfit!

Oh and did I mention, I had my ladies rehung 2.5 weeks ago. 40kg between highest and current weight had taken it's toll. Very happy with the results. No one slapping me left and right anymore as soon as I can get back to running :p

Was that tm-girlie-i??

Oh and say hi to your wife o:)

Now this was super funny!
  • SofaKween
    SofaKween Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    A question about the 30 day shred - have been contemplating doing it for a while BUT my reservations are (1) that the exercises are repetitive and isn't it better to do a variety of workouts and (2) it doesn't seem to allow for rest days. For those of you do that do JM, do you do additional workouts later on in the day for variety? I've signed up for a 10k so want to fit some running into the week. Most I've done so far without a walking break is 4.5km so I need to slowly increase the distance.
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Omfg!!!
    Got my measurements done today at the gym. In the last month I have lost :
    6cm off my thighs 2cm off my boobs 4cm off my belly 6cm off my hips/butt area Woop woop!!!!! I gained 1 measly cm on my biceps.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    A question about the 30 day shred - have been contemplating doing it for a while BUT my reservations are (1) that the exercises are repetitive and isn't it better to do a variety of workouts and (2) it doesn't seem to allow for rest days. For those of you do that do JM, do you do additional workouts later on in the day for variety? I've signed up for a 10k so want to fit some running into the week. Most I've done so far without a walking break is 4.5km so I need to slowly increase the distance.

I have done the shred a few times and am now doing 6 week 6 pack. I find JMs videos well balanced. There are always circuits and exercises for all body parts. She works different muscle groups are the same time, combines cardio and strength moves,which makes her workouts effective.

Sometimes I combine her workouts with other stuff like rebounding or running. The shred improved my running speed and strength wise. Cross training can be very effective.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Omfg!!!
    Got my measurements done today at the gym. In the last month I have lost :
    6cm off my thighs 2cm off my boobs 4cm off my belly 6cm off my hips/butt area Woop woop!!!!! I gained 1 measly cm on my biceps.

Excellent results!!!
  • thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi all...Thought I should put these thought in the NSVs.

I have discovered a correlation between the foods I crave and memories. As some of you may know I moved to London from Seattle when I was 23 to settle with my husband. It was an abrupt move and difficult (but necessary) to leave my friends and family. It has now been nearly 12 years since I relocate and I have not been back to the states since. But what I have realised is that almost all of the food I crave are ones that bring back memories from the first 23 years of my life (the tastes bring my memories right back). Maybe my need to remember is so strong that I need the food to bring be back there. Oh my gosh, I'm like almost crying here...I guess I'm on the right track. Talk about emotional eating. Hopefully my discovery will help be build a better relationship with food.

Snappy- I didn't know you used to live in the US. I'm in MD, so the other side of the coast, but maybe we're technically closer now??? Obviously in serious need of geography lessons haha.

Also, I think that is awesome progress even tuning into yourself and picking that up! That's why I get pissed off when people do those "I'll purposely gain 100 lbs to lose it overnight again" stuff. Obviously, if they have been at a lower weight, etc, they aren't currently in the same mental space as people who are 100 lbs overweight, even if they gain the weight on purpose. They can't understand the mental struggles, the emotional ties to food/bingeing, etc, by artificially inflating the scale. Yes, eating less will make you lose weight, but they don't understand the mental struggle and how hard it is to eat less when there is more under the surface and other factors/influences to eat more than just hunger or not having the resolve to say no. Ugh, such a pet peeve.