NSV's = Non-scale Victories

Options

Replies

• b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,146 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    After losing nearly 18 pounds thought it was time to do a little bit of closet cleaning, especially with my pants. I wasn't really sure which pants I could wear anymore because you can't look at the sizes to know if you fit in them due to the crazy variance these days. So I spent a few hours and tried all of them on and divided them into categories (and then color coded the hangers when I put them back in the closet). And the best part is that as I get closer to goal, I'll know which exactly ones I can get rid of and which ones to keep.

My 7 Categories of Pants:

Fat Pants (2) - Clearly too big, and if I wanted to wear them, they'd need a safety pin to stay up.

Nearly Fat Pants (8) - A bit loose, but can still wear. Great pants for TOM bloat.

Now Pants (19) - Pants that fit!! Sizes range from 8 to 12, go figure. Size charts based on my current measurements are saying I should be in 6's by now...wth?

Soon to be "Now Pants" (13) - Pants that I can pull up and button, but I've got serious muffin top while wearing. Interestingly, the pants that I used to call my 'fat' pants, are in this group.

Future soon to be "Now Pants" (6) - Pants that I can pull up, and button, but if I sit down, the button will likely fly across the room. Another size anomaly - there is a size zero pair of pants in this group...clearly vanity sized.

Near Future Pants (8) - Pants that I can pull up, but can't button yet.

Future pants (4) - Pants that I can't pull up past my thighs.

Most of my pants are in the Now pile, so that is good that I have plenty to wear now, and I actually know which pants they are. I can't imagine what I've been wearing for the past few years, when I've been 15-20 pounds heavier than I am now. I'm shocked I only have two pair of pants in the fat pants pile after losing 18 pounds (figured there would be a bunch), but I guess I didn't buy too many larger sized clothes as my weight was going up and up because I knew I was trying to lose. But I just can't imagine how bad I must have looked trying to squeeze into pants that were too small for me...ugh.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,847 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    b3achy wrote: »
    After losing nearly 18 pounds thought it was time to do a little bit of closet cleaning, especially with my pants.

(snipped: Lots of good & fun details about b3achy's progress & pants-sorting)

Most of my pants are in the Now pile, so that is good that I have plenty to wear now, and I actually know which pants they are. I can't imagine what I've been wearing for the past few years, when I've been 15-20 pounds heavier than I am now. I'm shocked I only have two pair of pants in the fat pants pile after losing 18 pounds (figured there would be a bunch), but I guess I didn't buy too many larger sized clothes as my weight was going up and up because I knew I was trying to lose. But I just can't imagine how bad I must have looked trying to squeeze into pants that were too small for me...ugh.

YMMV, but what I found when my weight was dropping was that there tended to be more pounds between sizes at the upper end, and fewer pounds between sizes at the lower end. I guess that sorta makes sense, as X% of body weight was more pounds at higher weights, and that maybe correlates with sizes (?).

That meant I could stay in a given size longer at the top end before they fell off, but it happened kinda quicker as I got close to goal. I remember turning down a BOGO 50% option when I bought a pair of jeans last summer, because it had been, to my surprise, less than a month since I'd bought the next larger size (same brand), and I was still losing then at a decent rate.
  • b3achy
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Interesting...you'd think you'd be dropping sizes faster at the beginning, but you're right, it makes sense when you really think about it.

Sizes drive me a bit batty though. I had two pairs of pants - exact same brand and size (probably bought at the same time). They actually fell into two different piles. Don't know if I wore one more and so washed it more and it shrunk a bit, or if they were cut different.

I know what you mean about sales...I've been avoiding shopping because I knew I had a closet full of things and frankly, I'd rather wait to buy anything new until I'm at goal. (Totally killed me as Sport Authority was going out of business, because I can always buy more workout clothes and cargo pants, but didn't want to spend the money on stuff that I'd not be able to wear in a month or two, and really am not sure how much I will eventually lose past goal.) But it was like Christmas today, I found some pants and even a very nice never worn brand new suit (that now fits) I don't even remember buying. :smiley:
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    If you buy the same exact item in a different color or a different style, it won't necessarily fit the same. If it's made overseas, the quality control is not great.
  • b3achy
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If you buy the same exact item in a different color or a different style, it won't necessarily fit the same. If it's made overseas, the quality control is not great.

Same style of pant, same brand, same color, same size, bought at the same time.

From what I understand the way things are made in bulk, they will stack fabric, and cut, so the item on the top of the stack may be cut differently / sized differently than the item on the bottom of the stack.

Of course, I could be my stellar laundry skills and I probably just shrunk one of the pairs of pants.
  • marshal616
    marshal616 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hot digety damn! A1C was 5.7! Doing a Happy Dance (now can I have a real cookie?)
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,130 Member
    Options
    marshal616 wrote: »
    Hot digety damn! A1C was 5.7! Doing a Happy Dance (now can I have a real cookie?)

Absolutely... one cookie for you!!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Doing well @marshal616!!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,847 Member
    Options

Those health marker improvements are the best kind of NSVs - nice work! But perhaps a wonderful non-food reward? ;)
  • marshal616
    marshal616 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Those health marker improvements are the best kind of NSVs - nice work! But perhaps a wonderful non-food reward? ;)

That's the plan Ann, I don't know what it will be, but there will be something just for me...thanks for the encouragement everyone. ~Jim~
  • b3achy
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    This probably counts as an NSV: We had to buy extra food to prepare for Hurricane Matthew and then stay at home a few days from work waiting for the hurricane to pass while keeping track of storm news on television.
    I am so grateful that the storm missed us, electrical power stayed with us, and I followed my food plan.

Oh definitely!! Wish there was a super awesome button. Storms are stressful!! And staying within goal while waiting out to see where the storm will track is really good. Frankly, my evac boxes are filled with comfort foods, which aren't the best choices, but with all the other stress, I figure if I have to evacuate, I deserve an added measure of grace food-wise. Was blessed to be on the west coast, and didn't need to evacuate for this one. Thought we'd get a bit more wind/rain, but it was a non-event here. Much better predictions for this one than 12 years ago for Charlie. Glad you didn't get hit by the storm, and have power/water. Well done on sticking to your food plan!
  • RodaRose
    Options
    Charlie was a strong one!
    The predictions are much better and the technology to display what is happening even by neighborhood is astonishing.
  • b3achy
    Options
    The other day I tucked my tshirt into my jeans. This may not sound like much, but it was for the first time in years. Usually I let the tshirt overhang my pants for two reasons - 1. it hid my belly, 2. my pants were usually too tight to allow me to comfortably tuck my shirts in due to my weight. The other day, I basically just thought it looked a bit messy before heading out to meet a friend, and unconsciously started to tuck it in...when I realized it had been years since I've tucked a shirt into my pants.
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean!!! I also wore my shirttails out! Now I might have "tighter" jeans, but I can tuck the tails (and wear a belt!) Always amazes me....who is this woman inhabiting my body?
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    that's very good!
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    On the weekend I was half way through my workout, just completed squats and about to do my dead lift sets. My daughter called, asking me to come over and help my son and son-in-law move an ancient upright piano. I grabbed my 20 foot length of climb webbing from my turnout gear (I lift at the fire hall) and went to help. I rigged my strap to take the weight across my upper back, and with the 60 year old geezer on one end, and the two 30ish guys on the other we lifted it onto and off the dolly. That damn thing must weigh 750 if it's an ounce. Geezer power!
  • b3achy
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    On the weekend I was half way through my workout, just completed squats and about to do my dead lift sets. My daughter called, asking me to come over and help my son and son-in-law move an ancient upright piano. I grabbed my 20 foot length of climb webbing from my turnout gear (I lift at the fire hall) and went to help. I rigged my strap to take the weight across my upper back, and with the 60 year old geezer on one end, and the two 30ish guys on the other we lifted it onto and off the dolly. That damn thing must weigh 750 if it's an ounce. Geezer power!

Age of the geezer, baby! Well done!
  • RodaRose
    Options
    Wow. I would say be careful but you seem to have this weight stuff under control :mrgreen:
    Power to you :star: