January ETL - Nutritarian New Year!

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Mihani wrote: »
    Karrie, love the socks! Peas, welcome back, we missed you! Lia, I'll be interested to hear how it goes with your T25. Jean, that kind of sounds like what hit me earlier this week. I am so glad to be feeling better.

This has been a bit of a tough week for me. Between not feeling well and being busy and tax time coming up, not to mention it's cold and dark, I'm just not my usual self. My hands have been painful too, and I really don't want to bother with surgery until tax time is over with.

So I'm just all around grumpy. I told my boss I am not coming in to the office this weekend. My patience is wearing very thin, and I need some time away from there before somebody gets hurt lol.

Definitely take care of yourself. Your hands (and your sanity :) ) are important!
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Mihani, hope you are having a relaxing weekend at home, it sounds like it's very overdue. Glad that you are feeling better; everything is so much harder when you're sick. I have found that I get well much faster when I eat closer to ETL; do you find that, too?

Karrie, those socks are so cool! I have tried knitting but I don't have the patience or attention span to keep track of what I'm doing, so I really can only make squares and rectangles. You clearly have tons of patience though, if you are growing avocado trees from the beginning. I'd probably just buy a 6 1/2 year old tree and plant that, lol. Are you doing only juice right now? I have been thinking about trying it for some digestive issues, but I am afraid I would be starving. How do you feel? You sound cheerful :smile:

liapr, I think you will like T25, I started doing it last summer before my lungs got bad, and it was great. Totally kicked my *kitten*, and in less than 1/2 an hour a day. I didn't follow the nutrition plan, but I never do with those types of programs anyway. They always seem to be some variation on low carb, which is way too hard for a fruit fiend like me.

Today we went to a farmers' market in the valley, and got 3 pints fresh strawberries, 1/2 a pound of nuts, and really good cashew cheese. I was hoping to catch up with a nursery that sells dwarf fruit trees, but they left early so I will have to try emailing them. Our hike for the day was Eaton Canyon in Pasadena. Really nice views but extremely crowded; parts were almost like walking through a busy shopping mall. Still, can't complain when it's 82f in January.

Going out for Mexican food tonight with another couple of Canucks; I have heard it is one of the easier cuisines to find ETL friendly options, so hopefully all goes well.

Enjoy your weekend, everyone :smile:
  • liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Yay, Mihani! So happy you have the weekend home :) What will you do?! When is tax time over for you?? It's true, January is getting old for me now too... I'm ready for spring, hehe.

How did the mexican go, Peas?? I love love love mexican, and find it easy to make ETL mexican recipes at home! I hope you enjoyed it :) I had an asian noodle bowl at a resto with lots of extra veggies, but I think lots of extra salt too I'm sure. Also Peas, I'm sort of dubious about the nutrition plan too... I expect it will be lots of meat and little carbs, so I probably will just do my own plant-based thing with hopefully limited sugar and maybe some vega shakes thrown in! I'm excited to try it out!

I started today off with a nice long walk with the pup in the freezing cold, and then after this, I'm going to get a good workout in this morning so that I'm set for the day. Today is cooking/prep day for the week! I have cuban black beans, tex mex casserole, rice/kale/mushrooms, and maybe some red dahl to make for this week. I think I'll splurge and make cauliflower wings tonight!

Awesome article, Sabine. Gives hope! And I also think that even though a lot of us aren't perfect ETLers, we are still making big strides towards health with whatever efforts we do make.
  • tdh1991
    tdh1991 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    HI all,

Karrie: congrats on the loss! Let us know how you like the fitbit
    Mahini: I am glad you took some time for yourself.
    Lia: Mexican is my favorite type of food as well. I could eat it every day. Love Love Love spicy food.

Got back to work on Wed. and was swamped. So today I cleaned the fridge (which is very empty) and I am shopping today, and cooking all day tomorrow.

Plan:
    easy avocado dressing
    middle eastern chickpea stew
    black bean and quinoa soup
    creamy cruciferous curry
    hearty minestrone soup
    garden vegetable soup

We will be eating really well all week.

Off to shop and to the gym.

Happy Sunday

• whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    My patience is wearing very thin, and I need some time away from there before somebody gets hurt lol.

I'm not surprised- you are not a machine! If I had to work your schedule for a single week I'd be an absolute bear and anyone in my way would me mauled!!

My Fitbit tells me I get no sleep. Restless more than half an hour total and more than 20 separate times and awake at least half a dozen times for a total of 20 minutes. All things I already knew but seeing the stats makes me say WOW! I really need to get my own bedroom. Maybe in the basement with soundproofing. Lol.

Today is day 6 of juicing. Was a little disappointed with today's loss, but then I had a reality check. If I lose .4 every day for 10 days, that's a fabulous loss!

Normally a disappointment means I can cheat and have something I've been craving. But my little reality check kept me on track. I thought about grabbing some food this morning to give myself a treat, but then I thought "what will that accomplish". And now I'm back on track.

So no, I do not always find it easy, but it is definitely easier the last couple of days than it was on Day 1 or 2... And I have a couple of goals to hit too. My birthday is at the end of February - I would like to hit 170 or less before then. And I won't start buying fabric for my hand-sewn wardrobe until I get to 150lbs. So I really need to remember those 2 goals and stay on track!!

My friend asked me to run a half-marathon with her on May 31st and my brother asked me to do one with him in October. So I have at least 2 races to train for this year - time to get serious on the treadmill again!!

Alright, I gotta make my juices for the day. I'm gonna have that green onion one again. It was yummy!!

Have a great day!!
  • StarLovesSky
    StarLovesSky Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

I know I'm a little late to the party, but I'm hoping that with your combined knowledge I'll be able to stay with my intention of 'mostly' ETL!! I'm a Mum of 2 amazing little souls, so after reading ETL I'm now working my way through 'Disease proof your kids'. The idea of having a nutrient dense lifestyle really resonates with me, as my husband has oral allergy syndrome (allergic to all raw fruit & veg, some nuts) which I think is related to his poor childhood food choices! I wondered if anyone else has made the transition with their family, or if you manage in isolation and make 2 different meal plans? My kids will happily eat salad... But with homemade oil dressing!! So I'm not starting from a junk-food foundation with them at least!
    Anyhoo... Aside from that I'd really like to find my optimum health and weight in order to be an example to them. I'm currently about 20kg overweight
    Thanks!
    Jo :)
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

Hope the weekend is going well. It turned out that the restaurant we went to didn't have menus; you just chose a meat (or vegetarian, thankfully), and they brought you the dishes of the day. Luckily, it wasn't too bad, nutrition-wise. Grilled zucchini tacos, breaded peppers (I picked the breading off), beans, and a small banana cream dessert.

We tried to go for a hike today, but all the trails were incredibly packed with nowhere to park within 1-2 miles, so we are going to spend today on errands and housework and get back at it tomorrow morning. I am hoping I can get at least 7500-10000 steps today even without a hike. I do need to pick up groceries at three different places so if I walk to each, that should amount to at least a couple of miles.

Karrie, funny that your fitbit says you don't sleep. I just checked mine today (never checked the sleep before) and it seems to think that I sleep 16 hours a day, lol. Not sure why, especially when there are clearly recorded steps in all but 8 or 9 hours per day. Good job so far on the juicing, your resolve is inspiring. I'm seriously considering giving it a try, though I am still a bit chick'n.

I'm very impressed with how good you guys are at eating a ton of vegetables. I'm still at the stage where a lot of it has to be sneaked in, lol. Fruit is no problem, but the greens don't come easy. I bought some green juice at the farmers' market and I'm able to get a few ounces down at a time, but it's hard to believe I could ever like it.

tdh, please let me know how the soups turn out. I love the idea of making my own soup, but I find that my homemade soups never taste as good as store-bought, especially bean soups. The black bean quinoa sounds good, but I will let someone else test it first :wink:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Sunday cooking complete! I made a lentil and black bean chili, to which I added spinach. Hubs made a leek soup. Bring on the week!
  • JCN80
    JCN80 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had 3 parties over the weekend and as a result made some less than stellar food choices (including 2 martinis at tropical martini night o:) ) Somehow I lost weight anyway, though I'm determined to do better this week. We had the Artichoke Lentil Loaf tonight, from the Eat to Live cookbook, that that was delicious. We have some other good recipes planned for this week too.

Jo, yes, our whole family eats this way, though my kids are all 3 years old and under. My 3 year old often objects to what we eat. We tell him he has to have 1 bite of what we're having for dinner and then he can have tofu or avocado. He usually has an "antioxident rich breakfast bar" for breakfast, and we do let him have a PB&J on whole wheat for lunch, which is his favorite. Our 1 year olds to eat whatever we're having. It also helps that my husband is on board with this way of eating. My MIL is temporarily living with us, and she is not on board, so that is harder.
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,951 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hiya Jo… welcome! I have never heard of oral allergy syndrome that sounds really difficult to deal with. I have not read Disease Proof Your Kids. I don’t have kids. I’ll be interested to hear what you think of it though.

I did take the entire weekend off. I did some work here at home, but not that much, and I didn’t even do the housework I intended other than laundry. I napped, I read, I watched old musicals on cable.

The meal plan idea sounds really wise. I need to think about that. I did cook some black bean soup and the red lentil cauliflower curry yesterday so I’m good for the next few days. I went to the store today and got my lettuce for the week and they had strawberries and kiwi on sale so I grabbed some of those. I am pretty convinced that my ultimate weapon against cravings is lots and lots of fruit. I am going to stop tracking calories again too. I think it just messes with my head. I need to concentrate on eating nutrient dense food and let the calories take care of themselves. If I eat extra fruit or beans and go over some days I don’t need mfp telling me I’m a bad person.

Karrie, woohoo for the 4 pounds! Doing great on your latest juicing adventure. I hope you can figure out a way to get better sleep. And oh how I can relate to your statement that “normally a disappointment means I can cheat and have something I’ve been craving” … so great that you asked yourself what you really wanted and stayed on track. Awesome!

Peas I love the idea of your balcony garden. Are you going to have some herbs too? I definitely feel better since I started eating primarily plant based and when I do get sick it doesn’t seem to be as bad or last as long. Maybe the fitbit thinks you are walking in your sleep haha! As to the greens, I love salad so I don’t have a problem getting that in every day. One thing I’ve found from looking at so many vegan recipes over the past few years is that adding greens to things is so easy and then you aren’t sitting there eating a big pile of steamed kale. Not that I don’t like steamed kale (tossed with a mix of soy sauce and Dijon yum) but I like throwing a couple handfuls of spinach in a soup or a couple handfuls of kale in a casserole or tofu scramble, some bok choy or cabbage in a stir-fry, etc.

Interesting article Sabine, thanks for sharing. It really sounds like you and your husband enjoy cooking together and eating well. I still get a kick out of your profile that you say you are on a “low crap diet.”

Lia, tax time is mostly February and March. I don’t actually have to do the taxes, but I have to put together accountings for all our cases and coordinate with the clients and our CPA to get returns done. Our CPA makes it so much easier though, he is my hero! I still haven’t tried the buffalo cauliflower. What recipe do you use? Good for you getting out in the cold for a walk. It is snowing here again with 3 to 5 inches expected. Ugh. Snow is pretty but I hate driving in it.

Terri, glad to hear you enjoyed your trip and it sounds like you are really back in the groove. Your plans for dinners this week sound wonderful. I need to start planning out my weeks better.

JCN, martinis are never a bad choice. ;) That’s very cool your whole family is trying to eat this way. I think most kids object to certain foods at times. I don’t think I ever noticed the artichoke lentil loaf in the ETL cookbook. I will have to check that out.

Okay, I think I am all caught up with everyone now! I’m off to bed.
  • StarLovesSky
    Options
    JCN80 wrote: »

Jo, yes, our whole family eats this way, though my kids are all 3 years old and under. My 3 year old often objects to what we eat. We tell him he has to have 1 bite of what we're having for dinner and then he can have tofu or avocado. He usually has an "antioxident rich breakfast bar" for breakfast, and we do let him have a PB&J on whole wheat for lunch, which is his favorite. Our 1 year olds to eat whatever we're having. It also helps that my husband is on board with this way of eating. My MIL is temporarily living with us, and she is not on board, so that is harder.

Wow, that's amazing. My girls are 5 & 2... So my two year is in the refuse everything stage! I'm intrigued by your antioxidant bars, are they from the ETL cookbook? Breakfasts are a pain here, my youngest will drink green smoothies & eat berries but my eldest only ever wants toast. Some kind of bar might be a good solution to reducing our bread consumption!

And thanks for the welcome guys ☺️
  • JCN80
    Options
    Jo, I found a link to the recipe Antioxident Rich Breakfast Bars online: http://www.lavistacsa.org/recipe/antioxidant-rich-breakfast-bars.
    It's a Dr. Fuhrman recipe.

We add beans and greens to the recipe (so that our kids get some more protein and greens in their diets). You can substitute so many of the ingredients too (switch out types of fruit, dried fruit or nuts/seeds). It also works fine with water or other juice instead of pomegranate juice. Our kids love them.
  • whats_her_name
    Options
    Hmm. I think I will have to try that bar recipe on my kids... My 9 year old is a great eater, she loves everything I make her. But my 7 yr old is stubborn and VERY hard to feed. He used to eat anything i fed him when he was a baby, so I don't understand why he hasn't come around... But he definitely has tried more foods in the last 14 months since I became vegan, so I still have my fingers crossed.

Today is day 7 of juicing, and still going strong. Definitely in it for another 3 days - actually I can't see why I won't continue for this whole week at least... Yahoo! Tomorrow is my 1 full week weigh-in, and I might just hit 10 lbs lost in a week, so that's pretty exciting, and motivation enough!! I don't know what just clicked this time around, but I feel like I can do this for the long haul and have a very dramatic outcome in 30, or maybe even 60 days... Will be thrilled if I can stick it out that long!!!

Alright, will have to do some catching up a bit later - I've gotta get my day started! Have a good one!!
  • JCN80
    Options
    Also for the breakfast bars, you can't substitute for the banana. That holds it together.

Whats_her_name, are you doing a particular juicing diet? I can't do it while still nursing my twins, but I'm interested for later.
  • whats_her_name
    Options
    I'm doing the reboot with joe (from "fat, sick & nearly dead") - I have the book, and I really want to spend some time on the website this week to get some different juicing recipes from there, too.

You keep going at your rate, though, JCN, and you won't NEED to do any juicing later!! Although it's a great way to get your greens in and supplement your veggie intake!!
  • tdh1991
    Options
    HI All,

Had a great day yesterday. Lots of veggies and my middle eastern chickpea stew was a hit. I served it with quinoa. I made it exact to the recipe; of course it was not spicy enough for me so I added more curry and cayenne pepper. We liked this dish a lot, So I will add that one in my rotation.

Tonight I will make the Black Bean Quinoa soup. Will save my cooking for tomorrow. We are getting 2+ feed of snow today and tomorrow. I spent my time today preparing for work for the week.

I worked out pretty hard on Sunday. First time I have pushed the weight since I fractured my elbow. Boy am I sore today.

I week till my daughter comes home from Germany. Can't wait. I have not seen her in person since last July.

Happy snow day.
  • StarLovesSky
    Options
    JCN80 wrote: »
    Jo, I found a link to the recipe Antioxident Rich Breakfast Bars online: http://www.lavistacsa.org/recipe/antioxidant-rich-breakfast-bars.
    It's a Dr. Fuhrman recipe.
    Thanks for this link! I've got all the ingredients so will whacking a batch of these out this afternoon! I made overnight oatmeal last night which my youngest devoured, her sister not keen but perhaps these bars will be a winner with her. Here's hoping! ;)

• tdh1991
    Options
    Good morning for the snowy Northeast.

Last night's black bean and quinoa soup was delicious. I added extra spice of hot chilli powder, mrs. dash extra spicy blend and red pepper flakes. Will definitely make that one again too.

This morning I am making the berry explosions muffins for breakfast. Will see.

So, we are snowed in all day we have about 2 ft of snow already and still snowing.
    Will need to pull out one of my work out DVD's today for exercise.

Karrie when I tried juicing in the past I found a lot of great recipes at
    simplegreensmoothies.com/30-day-challenge. Good luck with your juicing challenge.

Everyone is talking about the bars for breakfast. I have made this recipe in the past and it was a hit.

Antioxidant-Rich Breakfast Bars
    www.DrFuhrman.com

Serves: 6
    Preparation Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
    1 medium ripe banana
    1 cup old fashioned oats
    1 cup frozen blueberries, thawed
    1/4 cup raisins
    1/8 cup pomegranate juice
    2 tablespoons finely chopped dates
    1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
    1 tablespoon Goji berries or other unsulfured dried fruit
    1 tablespoon raw sunflower seeds
    2 tablespoons ground flax seed

Instructions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mash banana in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Lightly wipe an eight inch square baking pan with a small amount of olive oil. Spread mixture into pan. Bake for 25 minutes. Cool on wire rack and cut into bars.

Refrigerate any leftover bars.
    Per Serving:
    CALORIES 146; PROTEIN 3g; CARBOHYDRATES 27g; TOTAL FAT 3.8g; SATURATED FAT 0.4g; SODIUM 2mg; FIBER 4g; BETA-CAROTENE 13ug; VITAMIN C 3mg; CALCIUM 17mg; IRON 1.2mg; FOLATE 19ug; MAGNESIUM 63mg; ZINC 0.7mg; SELENIUM 6.5ug

• whats_her_name
    Options
    Excellent - thanks so much for the juice links!! And the recipe for the bars - I have everything on hand for that except the pomegranate juice, maybe I'll make some tonight...

Juicing day 8. I was bad last night and ate a bun, some pretzels and some hummus. It really wasn't worth it, but I was behind on drinking the juices and was over-hungry... Definitely have to stay on top of the drinking to prevent that from happening again.

Needless to say, no loss this morning. :disappointed:

But I did get on the treadmill last night after my little binge and I did a great 4mph walk at 2% incline for an hour. (You'd think that would have offset the very few calories I ate, but no...) I'm a bit stiff (thighs and my lower back) today, so I'll have a rest day today and do it again tomorrow. Gotta get back to the point where I can add in the sprints; I have a half-marathon to train for!!!

Have a good one!!