New members - tell us about yourself

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,497 Member
    Farback wrote: »
    Welcome. I'm on the edge of the Canadian wilderness, so no good for a bike or kayak buddy, but I do make my own boats, www.farback.ca, and try to get out on my bike when I can avoid the draw of my motorcycle.

OOoooo, nice 'yaks!

Some women collect shoes, I collect boats - but commercial so far, not pretty hand-builts, much as I admire them. And, in practice, I'm mostly a rower these days, and was mostly a canoeist in a previous era, so only one kayak in the racks, a Current Designs Willow.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,223 Member
    Welcome Jean! Great group here. You are a biking inspiration for me!
  • alpine_dog
    alpine_dog Posts: 34 Member
    Hello, I started using MFP two years ago with good results (esp. compared to WW), but it is amazing how quickly some sorrowful life events derailed me for awhile. Back now and trying to add more accountability for tracking and weighing in. Turned 50 last winter and losing wt is significantly more difficult than it was for me just 2 years ago, so need to turn up the effort.

I see lots of boat talk recently so I'll just add that hubs and I are avid sea kayakers when we are visiting my family on the Maine coast, but during our regular work life we are making due in the mid-Hudson Valley of NY, walking, hiking with our dog, or gardening. We've done a lot of hiking, backpacking, cycling, swimming and running together over the years, but age and injuries have slowed both of us down, so working our way back to more activity. Also both looking forward to retirement in the next couple of years.

This looks like a good group to check-in with, feel free to add me. Thanks.
  • kayakerandbiker
    kayakerandbiker Posts: 26 Member
    alpine_dog wrote: »
    Hello, I started using MFP two years ago with good results (esp. compared to WW), but it is amazing how quickly some sorrowful life events derailed me for awhile. Back now and trying to add more accountability for tracking and weighing in. Turned 50 last winter and losing wt is significantly more difficult than it was for me just 2 years ago, so need to turn up the effort.

I see lots of boat talk recently so I'll just add that hubs and I are avid sea kayakers when we are visiting my family on the Maine coast, but during our regular work life we are making due in the mid-Hudson Valley of NY, walking, hiking with our dog, or gardening. We've done a lot of hiking, backpacking, cycling, swimming and running together over the years, but age and injuries have slowed both of us down, so working our way back to more activity. Also both looking forward to retirement in the next couple of years.

Hello alpine dog, My husband and I split our time between South Carolina and Blue Hill Maine (about 40 minutes from Acadia, "downeast"). We kayak in Acadia and along Eggimoggin Reach and Peter's Cove in and around Blue Hill. We cycle (me mostly), hike and of course, kayak. While we are in Maine we enjoy working the garden, reading, and "home improvements." We also have our dog Bonnie to walk and go for joy rides.

My husband's daughter and her family live in Poughkeepsie, NY and we used to live in Northeastern NJ, about 10 mins from Suffern. Before retiring, we commuted to lower Manhattan for 25 plus years by train.

Welcome and I will send you a friend request.

• alpine_dog
    alpine_dog Posts: 34 Member
    alpine_dog wrote: »

Hello alpine dog, My husband and I split our time between South Carolina and Blue Hill Maine (about 40 minutes from Acadia, "downeast"). We kayak in Acadia and along Eggimoggin Reach and Peter's Cove in and around Blue Hill. We cycle (me mostly), hike and of course, kayak. While we are in Maine we enjoy working the garden, reading, and "home improvements." We also have our dog Bonnie to walk and go for joy rides.

My husband's daughter and her family live in Poughkeepsie, NY and we used to live in Northeastern NJ, about 10 mins from Suffern. Before retiring, we commuted to lower Manhattan for 25 plus years by train.

Welcome and I will send you a friend request.

Small world kayerandbiker! While most of my family are in the Bath area, my cousin lives in Blue Hill, I know all of Hancock County very well, we've been staying there every summer for decades, usually renting a dog-friendly house on Toddy Pond in Surry, or around Naskeag Point in Brooklin (our favorite spot). The kayaking there is really nice, as it is around Deer Isle/Stonington. We hope to retire somewhere on the Blue Hill Peninsula. I grew up in Boonton, which is not far from Suffern in NW NJ, but we have lived near Woodstock, NY for the past 20 years (the town, not the festival site, which is in the next county). Thanks for the welcome...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    I'm just getting more over 50 every day.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    I'm just getting more over 50 every day.

LOL, me too. Welcome to the old folk's home!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,223 Member
    Welcome, Cheryl! Very nice group here in various stages of the "journey" congrats on your success so far.
  • judydj1220
    judydj1220 Posts: 79 Member
    Hi, all! I didn't know this group existed... but then I haven't explored much on MFP. I've been struggling all my life with weight - - losing and gaining the same weight over and over and over and over...

I've declared 2016 as the year I'm doing things for myself! I joined a gym on December 31st and started MFP mid January, have lost 25 pounds since and would like to lose 10 more, but if I don't... I'm OK. This time, things just click and I know I'll be living a healthier lifestyle from now on.
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    Way to go on the 25 to date, Judy!

I too, felt that click a year ago when I decided to get serious. Although I've slacked off lately my weight did not increase, so the good habits are starting to be actual habits.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    cabwj wrote: »
    Hi, I'm Cheryl.

I've been on MFP for a little over a year but the last few months have been hit and miss. I've lost 62 pounds with a goal of losing another 50-ish.

Looking forward to getting to know folks here.

Welcome...I am in a similar boat with about 65 pounds left to lose. Lots of nice people around here.
  • genxrider
    genxrider Posts: 107 Member
    Howdy folks! I turned the big 5-0 in March. I had a gastric sleeve done 4 years ago and lost over 100 lbs. I've kept it off except for last year when I had a broken ankle and wasn't able to do much for a while. I'm back on MFP to drop the 30-ish I gained. Easy to put on, hard to take off for sure.

I stay active with horseback riding and generally keeping the body in motion. I started doing Iyengar yoga once a week which has helped my ankle recovery a lot.

I don't diet but I maintain a pretty strictly limited calorie intake with high protein and low carbs. I usually slack a bit on the weekend when I'm more likely to go out to eat or make peach cobbler, or drink margaritas, etc. when my boyfriend is here.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    welcome all new members its great to have u in the group :)
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,056 Member
    Hey, happened to see a link to this group in another thread, and thought I'd join.

Been on MFP for only a couple weeks or so. New to this calorie counting/macro ratio thing, but have heard a lot about it from another site where I track my workouts. So happy how much less restrictive this is than some other food programs I've tried. Glad to get bacon and full fat cheese back into the mix. :smiley:

I'm 51yo, and while I'm not a kayaker, I am a paddleboarder. So, I love being out on the water too. I also race SUP as an amateur, so my biggest goal is to lose some pounds to be more competitive with my lighter weight friends. Hoping to drop about 15 more pounds (already down 4 lbs) before the fall race season starts. I have 3 cats and live on a corner, so I am that crazy old cat lady who lives on the corner. :wink:
  • AnnPT77
    b3achy wrote: »
    Hey, happened to see a link to this group in another thread, and thought I'd join.

Been on MFP for only a couple weeks or so. New to this calorie counting/macro ratio thing, but have heard a lot about it from another site where I track my workouts. So happy how much less restrictive this is than some other food programs I've tried. Glad to get bacon and full fat cheese back into the mix. :smiley:

I'm 51yo, and while I'm not a kayaker, I am a paddleboarder. So, I love being out on the water too. I also race SUP as an amateur, so my biggest goal is to lose some pounds to be more competitive with my lighter weight friends. Hoping to drop about 15 more pounds (already down 4 lbs) before the fall race season starts. I have 3 cats and live on a corner, so I am that crazy old cat lady who lives on the corner. :wink:

Ah, SUP - I really, really want to try that!

I think you're onto something as far as weight loss: I've seen faster rowing splits in both single & double now that I'm down 60+ pounds, plus - and this was a surprise - women's 60-69 lightweight competitive times appear to be just a tinge slower as a class, at least in indoor rowing, compared to W60-69 openweight. Unexpected bonus!

Welcome!
  • b3achy
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I think you're onto something as far as weight loss: I've seen faster rowing splits in both single & double now that I'm down 60+ pounds, plus - and this was a surprise - women's 60-69 lightweight competitive times appear to be just a tinge slower as a class, at least in indoor rowing, compared to W60-69 openweight. Unexpected bonus!

Welcome!

From one of your previous posts, I was wondering if you were a surf ski or an OC rower, but it sounds like something different altogether.

I highly recommend SUP to everyone! SUP is super fun, especially being that high off the water and able to look into it to see all the wildlife - fish, stingrays, crabs, manatees, sharks - all sorts of critters are swimming in the water where I am. However, if you are a rower, you might find it too slow...lol.

At our paddleboard races, there are all sorts of paddlers. Most of the folks that paddle the OC's and surf skis are former SUPers, and now feel the need for speed. I may move over to one of them if I start doing longer races (right now I am just a 3-4 mile racer).

Weight really does have a lot to do with times/speed. I was at a race last year, and my best paddle buddy was in front of me. I have a longer board, which should have been faster. I matched her stroke for stroke, and I pretty much watched her just pull away from me. The biggest difference is she's about 40 pounds lighter than me.

Congrats on changing groups and being more competitive! What a bonus!

I'm looking at moving up to race boards next year (12'6") from the SUP surf category that I currently compete in, but those vintage ladies are super fast!! I raced them a couple of times last year but I had a heavier touring board, not a race board, so I was pretty slow compared to them, even though it was one of my better times.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Welcome!

From one of your previous posts, I was wondering if you were a surf ski or an OC rower, but it sounds like something different altogether.

I highly recommend SUP to everyone! SUP is super fun, especially being that high off the water and able to look into it to see all the wildlife - fish, stingrays, crabs, manatees, sharks - all sorts of critters are swimming in the water where I am. However, if you are a rower, you might find it too slow...lol.

(snipped for quotation purposes)

I row these thingies (well, this is a sculled single shell; I also row doubles, quads, fours, eights, and - once in a blue moon - pairs . . . and that's fatter Ann in the photo).

ezcyj4tt8sgw.jpg

I will definitely be trying SUP when I get a chance. Speed is less important than fun - my canoe & kayak go slower than rowing, and I like those. Pretty much all flat water lake/river action around here, and 3-season at most - I'm in Michigan. We rowers go to rowing machines when the river gets crunchy.

• b3achy
    edited June 2016
    Ah, yes, that is what I see the university folks rowing on the river. Very cool! It's very similar to a surf ski, except that the surf ski's use a paddle more like a kayak. Looks like a great workout too!

If you are okay with the speed, then you will love SUP. Sadly, you probably won't see as many dolphins in Michigan as I see in FL, but I'm sure there are still some pretty amazing things to see in the water in Michigan (hopefully good). :smile:
  • ReadingCat
    ReadingCat Posts: 13 Member
    New to this group. Need to lose (relose) 60 lbs, mostly low carb and cardio workouts. I would rather be home working on crafts and sewing than anywhere else, but my 50 year old body really needs better maintenance. Would love more mfp friends.