New members - tell us about yourself

Options

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Due to work and to natural inclination (cannot eat in the a.m. and have not even a second for lunch in the afternoon), most days I eat two meals in the evening. I essentially do 18:6 -- not eat for 18 hours and eat within a six hour window. Eat at whatever times work for you.
    My sleep is not working for me. It is a wacky mess. Some weeks are almost o.k.
    It is true that having a schedule is best. If you cannot follow a schedule that you like, then do the best you can.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Sleep? What's that? Oh yeah, what I do from 9-11 each night and 3-6 each morning. Ugh. It is a pain, but I have learned to live with it. I suppose if I needed more, I would get it. *sigh*
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Welcome yo all our new members
  • BBee5064
    Options
    shrinkbaby wrote: »
    Not really familiar with message boards but I am going to try to follow this group. I just turned 50 a few weeks ago. I'm married and have two sons, 32 & 25 (at the end of this month). I have always been pretty active, topped the scales at 140. In 2009 I was diagnosed with breast cancer, it was hormone receptive so I had to have a hysterectomy. I was on the meds for 5 years which caused joint pain, primarily my hips and knees. I have started workouts like TurboFire numerous times only to quit after about 5 weeks due to the pain. I started walking on 9/12 and walk 3 miles at lunch hoping to work my way back to running. I have always heard it is harder to lose weight the older you get, hopefully we will find things that work and can share with each other. My weight is 163 I am working on losing 30 lbs and actually feeling better. It's so easy to gain weight when you are sitting at a desk all day.
    I do have a Fitbit Charge HR so send me a friend request.

So nice to have you in our group. I too sit at s desk all day & constantly struggle with my weight. Keep at it & we will achieve are goals all together
  • xDesertxRatx
    xDesertxRatx Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi all.

I'm Rob form the South West of the UK. Am 51and have just got back into fitness. I was in the Army for 12 years from the age of 17 to 30 and left in 1995. I was fit then but let myself go once i left. For a period after that i partied too much up until around 4 years ago. I drank too much going to the pub quite alot, ate all the wrong foods, smoked, negelected family, dabbled in drugs and general didn't look after myself although kidded myself by doing a run every now and then. Problem was that my partner through this period was the same as me so it was quite a destructive relationship health wise. i lost some Army friends 3 years ago and also left my partner at that time as i realised i wanted more from life.

Met my new partner and soulmate 3 years ago and gave up smoking two years ago, restablished contact with my daughters, eat a bit healthier now although still like stuff that's not good for me and have a renewed enthusiasm to keep fit. i work with the elderly and people with dementia and i see first hand what an inactive life can do when you get older.

I don't really need to lose weight but more move it around the body a bit which is what i am planning to do. Started the gym propery last week with 5 visits, 3 of which were in the pool as that is my favuorite sport. enjoy cycling, running and also do archery.

Looking to keep motivated with people and help motivate where i can. So good to mee toy uall.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,068 Member
    Options
    Welcome xDesertxRatx

I work in a rehab facility, and see what not looking after yourself as you age can do. Good luck on your journey. I'm a bow hunter myself. Shoot guns for fun at the range, but only carry a bow in the woods.

• BBee5064
    Options
    Nice to have you with us xDesertsxRatsx
  • xDesertxRatx
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    Welcome xDesertxRatx

I work in a rehab facility, and see what not looking after yourself as you age can do. Good luck on your journey. I'm a bow hunter myself. Shoot guns for fun at the range, but only carry a bow in the woods.

Live in UK so no guns allowed although i was sniper qualified in the Army. also shot small bore competition when i was young with .22 cal. I shoot recurve barebow so no sights for me. Going to play with long bows and Mongolian horseback bows next year.
  • xDesertxRatx
    Options
    BBee5064 wrote: »
    Nice to have you with us xDesertsxRatsx

Thank you Bee.
  • drcrisos
    drcrisos Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm new to the group. I turned 51 in September, have 3 children ages 23, 15, and 12. Live in Washington State and work as an oncology nurse. Shrinkbaby and AnnPT77! you two are an inspiration!!!!
    I joined MFP back in 2012 - ended up losing almost 30lbs! Stress at work helped me do that. It came so easy for me that I stopped tracking and got carried away and now I'm up 16lbs. I have arthritis and some sort of autoimmune thing going on, so I'm achy - from my neck, shoulders down to my knees. I know if I would lose some weight it would certainly help, but it sure gets harder the older I get. Frustrating. Although, I have noticed when you only think about exercise without the follow through - it makes it 2x as hard to actually lose the weight.....
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Weclome! :)
    Some autoimmune things respond to easy yoga and similar.
  • xDesertxRatx
    Options
    Welcome to the group. Once you get going with exercise it gets easier. I found i needed to want to do it which i only did about 3 weeks ago. Now i am addicted the health club..lol
    drcrisos wrote: »
    Hello, I'm new to the group. I turned 51 in September, have 3 children ages 23, 15, and 12. Live in Washington State and work as an oncology nurse. Shrinkbaby and AnnPT77! you two are an inspiration!!!!
    I joined MFP back in 2012 - ended up losing almost 30lbs! Stress at work helped me do that. It came so easy for me that I stopped tracking and got carried away and now I'm up 16lbs. I have arthritis and some sort of autoimmune thing going on, so I'm achy - from my neck, shoulders down to my knees. I know if I would lose some weight it would certainly help, but it sure gets harder the older I get. Frustrating. Although, I have noticed when you only think about exercise without the follow through - it makes it 2x as hard to actually lose the weight.....

• BBee5064
    Options
    Welcome to our group drcrisos, sometimes all we need are our fellow mfp friends to inspire & motivate us to get going again. It sounds like you have a busy family & working life.look forward to getting to know you :)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    it's almost that time of year again - the holidays then New Years Resolutions!!!

Think we'll get a lot of new members?
  • marshal616
    marshal616 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    it's almost that time of year again - the holidays then New Years Resolutions!!!

Think we'll get a lot of new members?

Maybe some, the real question is how long will any newbies stick around. The gym I go to is packed until March before the crowd thins out...it's kind of sad.
    A lot of folks don't stick around long enough to begin to have fun.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,957 Member
    Options
    New Year's Resolutions are easier to deal with here than at the Fitness Centre. I'm a patient person but puhleeeze wipe the equipment after you've dripped all over everything...
  • marshal616
    marshal616 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    New Year's Resolutions are easier to deal with here than at the Fitness Centre. I'm a patient person but puhleeeze wipe the equipment after you've dripped all over everything...

Here, here UncleMac! I hopped on a high row machine this evening without checking and got some dirt-bag kid's sweat all over my hands.
    I'm not a squeamish person, but that was gross!
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    marshal616 wrote: »
    UncleMac wrote: »

Here, here UncleMac! I hopped on a high row machine this evening without checking and got some dirt-bag kid's sweat all over my hands.
    I'm not a squeamish person, but that was gross!

Yea, it's starting to get bad at my gym now too. It's a new gym, and around the weight machines there are few wipes and bottles of cleaners (more upstairs around the cardio equipment). Usually not too bad, but Monday, I went to use a machine well after some dude vacated it (I think I actually had some sets to do on another machine before getting to the one he was using) and there were drops of sweat still on the seat from him. Blargh!!
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Always some new folks with New Year's resolutions. Maybe we can help them stick with them? We were all newbies once, too!
  • RockinMBC
    RockinMBC Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

I'm 52 and returning to MFP after (quite) some time off. I would love to lose 30 pounds - but my metabolism doesn't seem to want to cooperate at the moment. I've been with my awesome rockin' husband for 20+ years - no kids - but we do have a dog (a corgle named Ms. Moneypenny). We play in some rock and roll / country bands together - and it's getting hard for me to get on-stage these days - my weight is effecting my self-esteem! So off it needs to go! I also have a day job that is relatively sedentary - so MFP has my calorie intake set at 1310 - totally doable. I eat primarily pescatarian - no red meat or fowl for the most part. For fitness I'm working on getting back into a swimming and hiking routine.

I'd love to build a reciprocal support network - so friend me if you like!

See you on the boards!