Workout check-in - April-tle bit more awesome

Options

Replies

• TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Had a conflict for my regular lifting time, so I'll be going to the gym T/Th/Sa this week. Took Huck for an hour+ walk around town -- after an amazing, don't even want to know how many calories dinner. Nice to move, enjoy the warm night, wander in the dark, and listen to some good music. 66 minutes total.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    ScientificExplorerGirl Posts: 535 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm back from my week away and back to lifting (yesterday)! I really missed lifting but I think the break was good for me too. My left shoulder had been feeling a bit "wonky" but after this rest, it feels much better and stronger. I took the suggested deload on my lifts. All of my lefts felt good and slightly easy, which I guess is a good sign!

So, in addition to running just over three miles yesterday morning, I did the following lifts:

Squat 6x5 @ 95 lbs
    OHP 5x5 @ 50 lbs
    DL 1x5 @ 95 lbs

Goblet Squat 3x10 @ 30 lbs.
    I'm loving the goblet squats. I really feel total core engagement with these as well as gluts, quads, and hammies.

Well ladies, you all rock as usual! I am looking forward to an awesome Summer sharing in all of our victories :)
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Workout A yesterday.

Squats 5x5 at 155#. I went into the gym feeling smoked from Sunday's long workout, but I was able to get these. They felt pretty good too.
    Bench 5x5 at 115#!!!! YAYAYAYAY! I can't believe I actually got these. The last 2 reps weren't the prettiest, but I got them!
    Rows 5x5 at 80#.

Accessories
    Narrow lat pull down 1x10 at 80#, 4x10 at 90#.
    Bench flyes 3x10 at 20# each hand.
    Tricep overhead extension 1x20 at 20#, 2x10 at 20#.
  • tracyledyard
    tracyledyard Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    On week 4. 90# squat, 75# BP, 70# BR.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Ohp day 5
    50 lbs x 5, 55 lbs x 5, 65 lbs x 5
    3x8 45 lbs emotm
    Then 12/9/6/3 of
    Clean 65lbs
    Db rows 20 lbs
    Assisted pullups
    Plank

Felt pretty good aside from some left over doms from yesterday's deadlifts. Really felt it during the cleans.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Nyah, should've rested today

12 min to 1RM Clean
    65x3, 75x2, 85x2, 95x1, 105x1, 115x1, 125x fail + re-fail
    I then waited 3 minutes or so and decided to be stubborn and try it again because, FFS, I've done this weight before! And I got it. In the ugliest of ways. Only a power clean. It cleaned me out.

12 min to 2RM OHP
    Oh, OHP... Oh Odious Horrible Press
    45x5, 55x5, 65x3, 75x3, 85x2, 90xfail (seriously? Barely got it off my shoulders even though I felt my grip was strong and I braced like hell)... waited til 12 min was almost up. I'm pretty sure I did this for 3 the last time around. Grrr. And i got it. Albeit used a little body english on the first rep.

12 min EMOTM
    ODD: -> 4 muscle up (trx rows w/ transition + triceps extension) & 2 burpee broad jumps
    EVEN -> 10, 7, 9 box side step ups, then 10, 8, 6 of trx assisted pistols / leg

Can't win them all, right? I want a nap. And food...
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Lift day for me - standard quick cardio warmup first...
    Squat: 2x5x45, 1x3x85, 5x5x130
    OHP: 2x5x45, 5x5x80
    Dead: 1x5x160

I almost failed everything at one point today - I just felt super weak and not capable. I think I need to drop back down some and apply pressure to form again. I can tell that my squats at 85 in the warmups are good, but my form at 130 waivers. My left knee almost always turns in a bit and I feel like I could probably get a little lower. I may try to record myself this coming Sunday (I don't have time to mess with recordings during the week - too rushed with the AM workout). OHP form is definitely becoming more of push press than OHP, I have to dip a little to get the weight up. Deadlifts, I felt my back rounding this morning. I was in total wimp-mode. I got through them with shoddy form, but I think two things are in order: a solid rest day and a deload. Sigh.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I started week 7 yesterday. Today I may bike/spin at the gym. I do miss cardio and feel the best time to that is on Friday's after the workout of the week, but can't this week as we are heading out of town.

Squats: 5x5x 120 - felt good but think I will stay at this weight for the week.

Bench Press: 5x5x 80 - finished well but may stay on this weight for the week.

Barbell Row: 5x5x 95 - this was hard this week so plan on staying here for the week. Form looked horrible but I finished all 5 sets.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Squat: 140 (5x5). After doing a form check at 135 and 140, I think I need to stay at this weight for a while or even deload. I'm not getting the depth needed. The weight has started to really get heavy for me since 125!!! Started to have a forward lean as well and was struggling to get to parallel last week and this week.

Bench: stayed at 75. Started hitting failure after set 3. I did better last week than this week. Gonna stick with 75.

Barbell Row: Attempted 105, and it just wasn't gonna happen. I've been struggling since 85-95 lbs but started filming myself for form checks at 95. Hasn't sit right with me, so I did a major deload and went down to 75 lbs. 75 lbs felt fantastic & I was able to crank out all 5 sets of 5 rep.

Moral of the story: don't let pride get in the way of proper form and safety! The gains with this program are fantastic, but I wish I would have started filming myself sooner!

Thank you, I'm not the only one! I've noticed the same thing the last couple of weeks! My mind has been messing with my head lately and my form has been severely suffering. It feels like I'm going backwards, especially with my squats. Failed with the OHP (another 4 letter word!) a few weeks back and that started the whole downward spiral. I'm considering a deload on all 5...
  • LaarainNYC
    LaarainNYC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts A

Squat 4x5 @150; I'm deloading on these because I'm really nervous about safety. Bench press machine: 1x5 @ 350 lb

BP. 65 3x5, 2 x4 My fractional plates finally arrived so no more of this I hope!

Row 70 5 ×5

Plank 3 @ 30 seconds
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    For grins and giggles, I decided to test myself on the Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT). For anyone who doesn't know, it's 2 minutes of push-ups, 2 minutes of sit-ups, and a 2 mile run. To pass, you have to get 60 points on each "section" with a minimum score of 180/300 points. I ended up scoring 212/300, with 25 push-ups, 53 sit-ups, and 2 miles in 17:53.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    @xcalygrl you're killing it hun!!

I see a lot of ladies struggling with having to deload, or needing to deload - its a mental game, but seriously your body will tell you when you need to take a break, listen to it - you do as much good by resting as you do by working! And when you fail a weight several times, use the experience of deloading and working back up as a chance to perfect your form, to do them better with better form, or faster, or more efficient, or with less time in between sets - all of these are still progressing, just a slightly different way of progressing. Don't ever see a deload as a failure - nothing is a failure, its a chance to rebuild and come back even stronger!!

xxx
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Just went for a run but my gps went a little nuts. I think two cell towers were fighting over it. mro5wdsfupvn.jpg

Just kidding, I can run really fast on water, no less!
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Workout A (Tues)

Squats 1 x 5 - 125

Squats 1 x 5 - 175

Squats 5 x 5 - 195

Squats 1 x 5 - 200

Overhead Press, Barbell - 5 x 5 - 80

Pendlay Row - 5 x 5 - 115
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @xcalygrl...Nice job! ooh rah @psych101, de-loading to work on form is not failure, it is strategy, when I start intermediate (which I am closing in on fast, I was originally going to start in January pre-accident, but it is coming around my 1 year StrongLifts anniversary so that is cool too) anyway, I plan to deload on things and work on my form at least 1 day/week. It is all good.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Yes, you ladies are definitely awesome and motivating!!
    It's been almost 3 weeks since I was able to get a real workout in due to travel. So happy to have gotten workout B done yesterday and a walk/jog today!! Feeling great!
    All 5x5, chose to do a download which was fine:
    Squat: 60
    OHP: 40, 30, 30, 25, 25 (I've joined the OHP hate group - felt a tendon or something grind/catch at the top of the 40# = scary!! 25 felt fine I was scared I had hurt myself.)
    DL: 65
    Ok-who else watches the YouTube of mark rippetoe doing squats before/while squatting? I put my phone on the bench in front of me and I pretend we are working out together.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Ok-who else watches the YouTube of mark rippetoe doing squats before/while squatting?

no, but i saw it and it made my weekend.

• awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Another cardio session since my husband needs to drill more holes in wood in the garage next to my squat rack.. making more dust. If he doesn't vacuum this time I'm not baking him cookies.

So I did another session of GSP Rushfit, with 10lb dumbells. Turns out the isometric moves are now a piece of cake, holding a past parallel squat is a piece of cake, whereas GSP is barely squatting enough to hover over a toilet set. :p
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Finished work early so I could lift Hahahahaha. Yup. Priorities.

Squat 5x5x145lbs
    Ohp 5x5x70lbs
    Deadlift 1x5x200lbs then 1x1x230lbs woooooooohooooo!! I may have fist pumped and jumped around the shed when I pulled that deadlift!
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    The gym was blissfully empty today. Makes me wonder if I should switch to a T/Th/Sa schedule instead of M/W/F. I'm considering it.

Obviously still working my way back up to my pre-thesis weights.

Squats -- 5x5 @ 100 lbs.
    - Warmed up with super sets of squats / good mornings 3x5 @ 45
    - These felt decent weight-wise, but not exactly easy. I'll probably stay here at least one more workout, maybe two. As eager as I am to get back to my big girl plates, I do like staying at a weight for a full week before moving up. We'll see.
    - I recorded one set and was sad to see that I'm not getting as low as I *feel* like I am. I'll keep working at it.
    - Really concentrating on engaging my core all the way through the descent and ascent. That's the #1 goal for right now, until it becomes second nature.

Bench -- 5x5 @ 65 lbs.
    - These are still relatively easy. We'll see how 67.5 lbs. feel next time -- if it's easy, I'll bump to 70 lbs.

Rows -- 5x5 @ 65 lbs.
    - These felt much better than last week. I'm sure it had something to do with the set up. (I didn't stack plates like usual last week and they just didn't work as well.)
    - I'd like to figure out a way to record these to see if I'm keeping my back parallel to the ground. The angle from the floor won't work, so I'll have to figure out some other way to do this.

No accessories today due to a couple of appointments. I did take Huck for a ~45 minute walk after though. It was hot (about 95 degrees) but lovely in the shade, especially after a handful of days that were in the 60s.

Keep up all the good work, Everyone!

xoxo,
    C.