Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Options

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Mini Review of the Halo Top Chocolate Ice Cream pint I picked up yesterday. The Chocolate Ice Cream was OK, Not as good as I had hoped however, Not my type of Chocolate taste. It was a bit of a weird texture fresh from the freezer, Letting it sit for ten minutes as was suggested in the message thread made it much better. The Good news is that eating 1/2 a pint is a lot of ice Cream. I may try a 1/4 pint of the other two flavors I picked up today or I may eat a 1/2 pint for my afternoon snack and for my evening Dessert :)
    I also picked up the Strawberry and a Lemon cake pint of each.

It was 10 degrees cooler this morning than yesterday for the same time, Whee!
    I got up to 10.5k steps yesterday between the usual walk and the running around.
    Today so far 7.3k steps and what a nice day it was while walking too. I suspect it will warm up quickly as there are no clouds in sight in the nice clear blue sky :)

Not to much on my agenda today either.

I had a email yesterday from NS touting new foods,

Penne Bolognese with Meat Sauce = not showing up for me yet
    Tiramisu 120 calories = was available to order
    Salted Caramel Brownie = not showing up for me yet
    Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownie 140 calories = was available to order
    Stuffed Chocolate Pie 130 calories= was available to order
    The Baked Blueberry Oatmeal Breakfast 130 calories was not listed in the email but does show up as new and available to order.

I have created A La Carte Frozen order for those three, I am just waiting to see if the other two are Shelf Stable AKA Ready to Go before I do the frozen order. I plan to be over the $50 point that gives free shipping on the frozen order which is easy to do as I delayed my Auto Delivery order the maximum time period allowed by NS and can easily use whatever I order. I decided to order 5 of the Tiramisu, Baked Blueberry Oatmeal & Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownie and not bother with the Chocolate Pie as I have several of those left in the freezer.

Have a Good Wednesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Well, I hope this isn't what they considered rain for today. Lotsa wind, very little rumbly from a distance thunder, and mist. Meanwhile my brother in MO is looking for a good ARK. He sent pix of his lake....its past full, and I don't think for one minute it can come up any farther, but if it did his house would become a houseboat! It seems to work that way...one of us is bone dry, and the other floating.

Roger! a Sister has appeared! Does she live far, or just someplace in PA/NJ?? (if you don't mind me asking...

Got my phone calls made, the load of laundry that had accumulated washed and put away, had a great, and super simple Mid Day meal...Some thick sliced slabs of tofu that I'd roasted with Korean BBQ sauce, and then frozen. So that was heat only, and 2 baby bok choy made my 6 oz of green veg's. Salad of romaine, chopped cabbage, ruby red radishes, cucumber, and grated carrot. With my dressing from yesterday...Took all of 20 minutes to fix my plate. Kitchen now cleaned, and tonite I'll have one bowl from my cereal to put into the dishwasher....how easy is that?!?!?

Time to start looking into that Module on Temperature. :)

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    I thought I had mentioned her before, She moved to Washington State many years ago. Does that count as far?

Funny that You had cereal for dinner, I had Cereal for Dinner myself :)

From what I can see on the World News broadcast, it is either very wet or very dry over much of the US. Maryland is taking a pounding from what they reported including a Tornado. Here where I am we usually escape really bad weather except from Nor'Easters.

Good Luck with that Module.
    Roger
    Howdy again y'all. It's nearly dinner time!

I am sipping a glass of Château Franc-Cardinal (Bordeaux) and waiting for the shepherd's pie in the oven to get done to my satisfaction. I also have a small slow cooker of fresh speckled butter beans for a side dish, though I usually don't bother with a side when I make shepherd's pie. But the beans came in last week's CSA box and I felt they needed to be cooked, so there they are.

Disclaimer: No actual shepherds were harmed in the making of this pie.
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! High of 92 predicted, 20% chance of rain. Sound familiar?

Tag day again. Whee!

Off to the salt races.
    Hi Ed
    So no Shepherds in the Shepherd Pie :)
    Basically as I understand it a ground Meat and Mashed Potatoes dish with a cream sauce.
    OK I just Goggled and I see this one, It sounds delicious too as well as fairly simple until You get to the meat portion :)
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/shepherds-pie-recipe2.html

If I said that sounds like a typical Summer day.

Have a Easy Tag Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,731 Member
    Options
    Finished off the shepherd's pie tonight, with more wine, and more beans.

I prefer mine with a tomato sauce, rather than a cream sauce, so I follow a different recipe than the one you found. OK. I don't actually follow ANY recipe but I did start with a recipe using tomato sauce as my original inspiration many years ago. I brown the meat with onions and garlic, salt and pepper, and rosemary, drain excess grease, add peas and carrots (frozen), cook for a few minutes, add tomato sauce, then place in a baking dish, top with garlic mashed potatoes, and bake at 350 until the potatoes have browned nicely on top.

If made with lamb, it's shepherd's pie. If made with beef, it's cottage pie. Yes, serious foodies and cooks take that VERY seriously, as do Brits. One of my nieces is an American ex-patriot Brit and she is already very serious about it, as she has learned to be, living there.

• parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! Supposed to be a high of 88 today with 50% chance of showers, but that is actually last night's forecast for today, which hasn't been updated yet on the weather channel page. Usually they get that updated by this time.

Yesterday's tagging was very light, with nothing changing outside at all so it was no problem for me. Today shouldn't be too bad, as Thursdays tend to be a little slower in the mornings.

Off to the rat mines!

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I 10.6K steps on Wednesday
    Today I am at 9200 Steps and possibly that was due to the nice weather :) It was 65 degrees out the door and a good humidity level. I did not feel the heat of the sunshine until I was on the last two blocks of my walk. I was about a Mile out, somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of my walk when Mr. iPod stated in my ear Low Battery :) I knew it was getting close when I left so I took along a old AM/FM Cassette small portable just in case, It is old and the tape mechanism dies years ago however the radio section still works. I did not need it as the iPod kept on playing. However a little further on the controls stopped letting me pause playback or change the volume and trying to bring up the playlist just made it display low battery. That was before 7AM and it still was playing the playlist at 8:05, good to know too. It is now plugged in and charging.

Another Halo Top Mini Review
    I had planned to try a 60 calorie serving of the Strawberry Ice cream and another 60 calorie serving of the Lemon Cake ice Cream For my evening Dessert. The best made plans and all that. The Lemon Cake was so tasty before I knew 1/2 of the pint carton was gone and it took some will power to put the rest back in the freezer. I pulled it out 10 minutes ahead of time and let i soften up slightly.
    Oh well Tonight is another chance to try the Strawberry. My biggest complaint is that the ice Cream is not creamy, however it was tasty and that is what counts to me.

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Finished off the shepherd's pie tonight, with more wine, and more beans.

I prefer mine with a tomato sauce, rather than a cream sauce, so I follow a different recipe than the one you found. OK. I don't actually follow ANY recipe but I did start with a recipe using tomato sauce as my original inspiration many years ago. I brown the meat with onions and garlic, salt and pepper, and rosemary, drain excess grease, add peas and carrots (frozen), cook for a few minutes, add tomato sauce, then place in a baking dish, top with garlic mashed potatoes, and bake at 350 until the potatoes have browned nicely on top.

If made with lamb, it's shepherd's pie. If made with beef, it's cottage pie. Yes, serious foodies and cooks take that VERY seriously, as do Brits. One of my nieces is an American ex-patriot Brit and she is already very serious about it, as she has learned to be, living there.
    Hi Ed
    I would have called it a Shepherds pie when topped with Mashed Potatoes no matter what meat is on the bottom :)

When I hear the Phrase Ex-Pat I think of the Brits I knew here that had moved here from there. I never thought about the reverse TBH :)
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! Supposed to be a high of 88 today with 50% chance of showers, but that is actually last night's forecast for today, which hasn't been updated yet on the weather channel page. Usually they get that updated by this time.

Yesterday's tagging was very light, with nothing changing outside at all so it was no problem for me. Today shouldn't be too bad, as Thursdays tend to be a little slower in the mornings.
    Hi Again
    Today is once again a nice looking day and starting off cool warming into the 80s. Tonight is once again forecast to be in the 60s with a bit more humidity as the humidity is supposed to start rising this evening. Rain is currently forecast to move in Friday night into Saturday. I believe they said they expect the rain to move out by 2PM Saturday :( Plus Saturday looks to be the warmest day of the next few days.

Have a Nice Thursday
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys...
    Got caught up in 'life' yesterday. Yesterday was "national watermelon day" you see, and I wanted to start my day off 'right' with that...so I had to delay breakfast until I could get to Publix for some watermelon.... And, my thyroid meds still hadn't been approved by my Doc, since my script had run out....and my next appointment wasn't until the end of this month..So, I did a swing past her office on the way to shop....that took awhile. You'd have thought I'd asked for an unlimited supply of Oxycodone!!! Good grief! FInally got home with my little piece of watermelon, and weighed out the 6 ounces...(that's no exactly a lot of little watermelon chunks let me warn ya)....and then off to Kroger for the weeks haul of veggies and fruits...and home again...just as I was nearing the time to eat my lunch, (late lunch means late midday and late dinners) the Doc's office called....COSTCO had been contacted and my script was ready....like an IDIOT I believed her... dropped the idea of lunch at that moment, drove over to COSTCO, and heck no, the order was not even taken off the computer. So, for 40 minutes I wandered the isles of COSTCO....didn't see even one thing I needed...got my script and came home...I did manage to eat before my call from DS1...they had such a good time at Hilton Head...
    so, I did get my script so I could have my morning pill, but I missed Deepak Chopra's free online presentation about meditation. I think I would have liked the presentation, and learned a thing or three, but...the good news is it will be rebroadcast Saturday at noon :)
    So, alls well that ends well I guess.
    Now, up, showered, and fed....leaving in about 10 minutes for Decatur and my chiro. :).
    Few things to get done today...and I HAVE to get started on that temperature module. Its a long one...also its trash night. SO glad I'm retired... :)
    Later...
    Oh, I also had my 6 ounces of watermelon at dinner as well:) Summer to me means watermelon and corn on the cob...fresh sun ripened tomatoes when I can get them. :)
  • RogerToo
    Options
    LjxF2S.jpg

YeyUBi.jpg
    Hi Guys...
    Got caught up in 'life' yesterday. Yesterday was "national watermelon day" you see, and I wanted to start my day off 'right' with that...so I had to delay breakfast until I could get to Publix for some watermelon.... And, my thyroid meds still hadn't been approved by my Doc, since my script had run out....and my next appointment wasn't until the end of this month..So, I did a swing past her office on the way to shop....that took awhile. You'd have thought I'd asked for an unlimited supply of Oxycodone!!! Good grief! FInally got home with my little piece of watermelon, and weighed out the 6 ounces...(that's no exactly a lot of little watermelon chunks let me warn ya)....and then off to Kroger for the weeks haul of veggies and fruits...and home again...just as I was nearing the time to eat my lunch, (late lunch means late midday and late dinners) the Doc's office called....COSTCO had been contacted and my script was ready....like an IDIOT I believed her... dropped the idea of lunch at that moment, drove over to COSTCO, and heck no, the order was not even taken off the computer. So, for 40 minutes I wandered the isles of COSTCO....didn't see even one thing I needed...got my script and came home...I did manage to eat before my call from DS1...they had such a good time at Hilton Head...
    so, I did get my script so I could have my morning pill, but I missed Deepak Chopra's free online presentation about meditation. I think I would have liked the presentation, and learned a thing or three, but...the good news is it will be rebroadcast Saturday at noon :)
    So, alls well that ends well I guess.
    Now, up, showered, and fed....leaving in about 10 minutes for Decatur and my chiro. :).
    Few things to get done today...and I HAVE to get started on that temperature module. Its a long one...also its trash night. SO glad I'm retired... :)
    Later...
    Oh, I also had my 6 ounces of watermelon at dinner as well:) Summer to me means watermelon and corn on the cob...fresh sun ripened tomatoes when I can get them. :)

Hi Valerie
    I had forgotten that, since we had the other melon in the house to be used up I had that with Dinner and more with my Breakfast today :)

It sounds as if You had a hectic day too, I hate waiting around at CostCo, next Thing You know if You wander around You get tempted to buy something You do not need :)

If I said we have a surplus of Vine ripened Tomatoes now. First they were not turning and now they are in overdrive ripening mode.

Does that first picture fit Yesterday ?

Have a Nice day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Yes! That was me yesterday. I did manage to roam thru Costco without putting anything in my basket! Phew!!

I've finally 'cracked' the video's on Temperature regulation.... More to come. Currently sitting with my feet in the foot bath, watching the news, and saying Hi to y'all... Later to be back in study mode.

Trash still in the garage...but all is out of the house. So, soon to make like a fast bunny and get the 2 containers to the street. Been doing 'little crud' that nobody would notice, but that need to be done.

Oh, sweeper trick seems to have 'slowed' the visits of the raccoons. I know they were here last night, as the cats water in its bowl was 'filthy' dirty. There was nothing on the porch to eat...so I guess they had to do 'something' to let me know they were still alive and kicking!

Made a killer lunch of onions and bell peppers with fajita spiced portabella mushrooms. Was delicious. And enough left over of the veggie parts to have tomorrow for breakfast with some beans for protein!

Olympics start tomorrow...looking forward to seeing as much of it as I can. 20 years ago, it was here in ATL...we(my two boys and myself) all enjoyed a lot of it. We used to walk the area while they were building it, until the day we got caught in an area that was 'off limits'. We were very nice to the cops who asked us nicely to vamoose! :) That was when we were all in various stages of 'single' and all lived in town. Fun times! The last 2 events I remember seeing 'live' were Men's Field Hockey, and a LaCrosse game. By the time the bomb went off, I'd had surgery, and was in the hospital. (planned surgery, a little run in with some cancer cells), and I woke in the middle of the night, still not quite lucid...and seeing all the TV stations which at first I thought were all playing the same war movie!! Then I realized it was live....shortly a nurse appeared, wondering why I was awake. She confirmed what I'd figured out, told me that Yes, they'd called in the Disaster Team, but that they had gone home, as my hospital only rec'd one minor injury.
    Then I asked her if I could maybe have some Diet Coke...she said yes, she'd SHOW me where the soda machine was...Yep, 18 hours post surgery, I was padding down the hall in the middle of the night, clinging onto the IV Pole. LOL! But I got the last laugh....two days later I could account for everybody who might possibly stop by to see me, got out of bed, got dressed in my street clothes, held my head up and walked right past the nurses station, got on the elevator, went outside the hospital to a little garden area of the hospital...sat there, and smoked my cigarette, admired the garden, went back up the elevator, past the nurses station, undressed, got back in my nightgown, and crawled back in bed!!!! :):) LOL!!! Yes, I did do that! 6 weeks later, I'd found a house (the one I'm in now) packed my stuff, (with some help moving the boxes, from neighbors, help from my kids, ) Jack's hockey team showed up to load and unload my U-Haul, and I was set up in my new little house!
    The Valerie of days gone by was a bit of a 'piece of work'! I really do try to behave myself these days.........

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi Valerie
    It sounds as if You had a good day today :)

I remember the Atlanta Olympics and the Bombing, I will have to set some timers for the events of interest. Thanks for reminding me.

It sounds as You were a model patient :)

Have a Good Evening
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Options
    A high school friend of mine has a daughter in the Olympics this year! We're all excited for Coleen Quigley and hoping she gets a gold medal.

Dinner tonight: Home made egg and olive salad on thin sliced Pepperidge Farms Deli Swirl rye and pumpernickel bread. A small serving of reduced fat kettle cooked potato chips. Oh, and some wine, rose from Spain.

J had TWO sandwiches, as I was already eating mine when he got home and frankly would have been happy to have another. But I restrained myself and just decided to make two for J as I knew he'd just eat more chips if I didn't and I figured the sandwich was a better alternative.

Each sandwich also had one queen olive speared on top with a toothpick. OK, mine had two olives. I love olives.

As for the bread, to me an egg and olive sandwich just HAS to be served on a marble rye type of bread to be "right" so I made it a point to buy that bread since I was planning on making the egg and olive salad.

Best of all, there is enough of the salad left for another meal for us!

• parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's fabulous Friday!

90 today with 20% chance so the forecast sound terribly familiar. This week's CSA box should be arriving today.

Lilo and I have been fed, and Ariel has had her snack.

Off to the rat mines!

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I did 11.3K steps on Thursday
    Today I am at 9076 Steps and possibly that was due to the nice weather :) It was 65 degrees out the door and a good humidity level. I

While I was walking I made my per-planned stop at the grocery store and picked up three Bananas, Three Apples and Two Navel Oranges as I had a few Tangerines left in the Refrigerator. I also picked up some Extra Creamy Redi-Whip to use with the NS Golden Pound Cake, Chocolate Cake, Fudge Brownie and Carrot Cake. I plan to use it as a Limited Extra, each serving is 15 calories :)

Another Halo Top Mini Review
    I had planned to try a 140 calorie serving of the Strawberry Ice cream 1/2 pint. The Strawberry was tasty and before I knew it the 1/2 of the pint carton was gone. I pulled it out 15 minutes ahead of time and to let it soften up.

Have a Great Friday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    A high school friend of mine has a daughter in the Olympics this year! We're all excited for Coleen Quigley and hoping she gets a gold medal.

Dinner tonight: Home made egg and olive salad on thin sliced Pepperidge Farms Deli Swirl rye and pumpernickel bread. A small serving of reduced fat kettle cooked potato chips. Oh, and some wine, rose from Spain.

J had TWO sandwiches, as I was already eating mine when he got home and frankly would have been happy to have another. But I restrained myself and just decided to make two for J as I knew he'd just eat more chips if I didn't and I figured the sandwich was a better alternative.

Each sandwich also had one queen olive speared on top with a toothpick. OK, mine had two olives. I love olives.

As for the bread, to me an egg and olive sandwich just HAS to be served on a marble rye type of bread to be "right" so I made it a point to buy that bread since I was planning on making the egg and olive salad.

Best of all, there is enough of the salad left for another meal for us!
    Hi Ed
    I was curious so I looked up that name, a Runner, I give a lot Credit to her for that.

I guess I am a person of limited tastes, I like well done Scrambled Eggs not runny or Hard Boiled Eggs turned into Egg Salad or Deviled Eggs.
    Howdy y'all. It's fabulous Friday!

90 today with 20% chance so the forecast sound terribly familiar. This week's CSA box should be arriving today.

Lilo and I have been fed, and Ariel has had her snack.

Your forecast sounds like a record stuck in a groove and repeating itself.

Have a Good Working
    Roger

Hi Valerie :)
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Good Morning! Pretty overcast, which maybe will keep the temp down a bit for the morning. All hope is lost for afternoon....our weather is stuck in a groove...we need to wash the record!

Everyone fed here..first load laundry just finishing its last spin...couple pans to scrub in the kitchen sink...and then time to hit the books again. Over half done...want this out of the way so I can watch the Olympics!

ED.....when is Coleen's event? Distance? Sprint? Relay....INFO please! :) I do hope she does well, and comes home just glowing!

Not much else on my agenda...so

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Well, egg and olive salad IS egg salad, just with added olive...I don't want it often, but do love it occasionally. J and I finished it off for lunch today.

Coleen is in the steeplechase event.

Here's a radio interview with the parents.

http://www.ktrs.com/ever-had-a-kid-who-made-it-to-the-olympics-gaylerd-and-ann-quigley-have-and-talk-to-john-carney-about-their-daughter-colleen-who-is-competing-in-rio-this-year/
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Ok, I just finished listening to the interview...will try to catch the race tomorrow. I'd never heard of Steeplechase Running. One more thing I learned today. The other?
    Finished my Course on Vital Signs!!! HA! no more lectures and quizzes or unit quizzes on my schedule...or at least til I find the next class I want to investigate.
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Colleen's dad went to high school with me, a year behind, and his first year of college too. Then I moved to a different college. Oh, and his mother was den mother to my cub scout group as a kid.

We've been fairly connected all our lives, really.

• parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday! 93 and 20%. Sounds familiar! 50% tonight though.

Another batch of baked beans going in the oven for another pool party. It's not (to me anyway) a difficult dish to do and people like it so I'll stick with it until I get tired of it. Since I'm not having it myself EVERY week it's not a problem. I do have other party dishes I can make and perhaps if/when we get into Autumn and Winter parties I will go with them instead of baked beans, but the baked beans do well with summer parties.

Lilo and I have been fed. Most of the dishes have been washed. When those have dried somewhat in the drainer, I'll put them away and finish the job.

We're supposed to close on the sale of our Memphis house at the end of the month. Knock on wood and cross your fingers! Our agent is trying to get the requested repairs/refurbishing completed and we're scrounging for the money. Where's that damn Nigerian prince when you need him?

And let's see if it changed anything in that last sentence to kitten...

• parityanimal
    Options
    Oh, and I won the Mega Millions last night! Four whole dollars! Woohoo!