Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi
    It was 64s this morning, Today I have done 8.9K Steps + No cents. While I was walking and Listening to a 1948 Radio show called Escape, Episode was called A Tooth for Paul Revere I noticed that the iPod battery was showing no bars so when that ended I switched to music for the balance of my walk as when the battery gets to low it keeps playing but You can not bring up the Interface to switch or Pause playback :)

Some Pictures from the backyard when I returned. The first is the Sweet Potato plants in bloom and the others are some of the late fruiting Raspberries, I took the pictures and then ate the Ripe Berries, Nice and sweet too.

RY7I3j.jpg

IFtCd1.jpg

lTNySU.jpg

Have a Great Week
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi! Figured if I didn't get here soon, I'd be saying 'Good Night' :)
    Slept in this morning. Breakfast for cats and self, trip to the gym...1 hr. Cooked my 'dinner' which is what I eat at lunch time...and tonite I will eat my cereal and fruit.
    Had to cook my food indoors...ran out of grillin' food! Somehow grilled broccoli and carrots just didn't sound like 'my food' to me.

Roger...sorry about the term..hemolysis is the breaking of red blood cell walls, and releasing their contents into the plasma portion of the blood. Messes with the testing. You don't see it until you spin a tube of blood, and then the liquid plasma part is pink to red instead of pale yellow.... (white like milkshake if you have out of control cholesterol) depending on how bad it was.. It happens if the needle is too small in size, and some other non-blood drawing reasons.

Chitterlings that's what they are named...chitlin's is how they say it! :) I've never eaten them, nor had any desire to try them....and this old goat is game to try most anything...just not chitlins! LOL!!

Tomorrow is shopping day...so I'll spend the next half hour or so looking at store ads, and then with sales in mind, will make out a meal plan for the coming week..(keeping the grill in mind). Speaking of which....Roger..you said you had a gas grill. I asked Jack where he buys his, and he said Costco...$7.00. 3 times that at Publix, and more still at filling stations, etc. Just thought I'd pass that along.... That's for the big white tanks. Weighs about 35 pounds I'm guessing. I know he checked to see if I could lift it! I could, but its not a feather!

Later...

Hi Valerie
    Don't feel bad I got a late start yesterday too. I did not worry about it due to the weather forecast. When the weather is for heat I worry a little bit and that gets me out the door early. Reverse that for winter.

So hemolysis is a bad thing to have happen especially when they send the blood out for testing and won't know right away. Interesting :)

Chitlin's is something I have never had a desire for either.

Ours takes small bottles like You might use in camping. Since only one of uses it at any one time one that takes the big bottles would be overkill :) Around here I see the big tanks available at 7-Eleven. I have no doubt that CostCo would be cheaper but thanks for the Information.

What I really need to do is clean up the actual burner on the Post Mounted one in the backyard that burns City Gas piped to it. I think the orifices are rusted closed.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! Tag day already again. High of 85 predicted with a 60% chance of rain.

The highest chance, of course, is right when I get off work to head home...
    Hi Ed
    I hope the rain holds off until the outside tagging is finished and even more so until You get home.

Enjoy Your Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited August 2016
    1NirvA.jpg

Some more Winter Pictures :)
    iMiO4E.jpg

bYsq3C.jpg

M6kCPl.jpg

47eC61.jpg
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Hi again.
    Groceries unloaded and put away...except for one bunch of kale, which is in the sink waiting to be prepped for tomorrow morning. And I got home just in the nick of time...first it 'sprinkled' and then the rains came...fortunately one I'm home the car is in the garage, so it didn't get me wet! I took a pix of part of the produce before I put it in the refrigerator. The cans of beans, the 3 pound bag of yellow onions, etc didn't make the pix..I'd post it but....
    Roger loved the garden pictures! Very nice crop of raspberries and this is their first year, right? WOW!!

Ed may have gotten wet, but hopefully he had the outside tagging done by 11. And if not, the rain caught him by surprise like it did the cats! They were two wet kitty's! And crying to come in....like Nope!!!

Need to get my lunch going...I may wait just a little, and hope the rain lets me grill my corn, and an onion to then chop and put the grilled onion in my salad! I may even warm the left over tempeh while I've got the other things on the grill.

Later...
  • GardenKatGardens
    Oh, Roger...hemolysis usually happens when a too small bore needle is used. Lab techs and phlebotomists know this.. if for some reason, the sample was hemolyzed, the tests would not be performed on that sample. You have nothing to be concerned about.
    I forgot to mention the sweet potato vines are really pretty. They are on the ground, right? Or trained on a trellis?
    My grilled corn, red pepper, mushroom caps was delicious, and I reheated the tempeh just right at the end of the cooking. I haven't tried the onions, but I think they may need a bit more cooking? So, I may have to check out grilling onion later today. I can always nuke the one that I cooked...it will still have the grilled flavor :)
    I'm having just too much fun with that grill!

Later...
  • RogerToo
    edited August 2016
    Hi again.
    Groceries unloaded and put away...except for one bunch of kale, which is in the sink waiting to be prepped for tomorrow morning. And I got home just in the nick of time...first it 'sprinkled' and then the rains came...fortunately one I'm home the car is in the garage, so it didn't get me wet! I took a pix of part of the produce before I put it in the refrigerator. The cans of beans, the 3 pound bag of yellow onions, etc didn't make the pix..I'd post it but....
    Roger loved the garden pictures! Very nice crop of raspberries and this is their first year, right? WOW!!

Ed may have gotten wet, but hopefully he had the outside tagging done by 11. And if not, the rain caught him by surprise like it did the cats! They were two wet kitty's! And crying to come in....like Nope!!!

Need to get my lunch going...I may wait just a little, and hope the rain lets me grill my corn, and an onion to then chop and put the grilled onion in my salad! I may even warm the left over tempeh while I've got the other things on the grill.

Later...

Hi Valerie
    You remember correctly, This is the first year for the Raspberry plants. Jungs the sellers website said they might produce a few the first year, I had 10 this morning and there are a lot still smallish and growing on two or three of the plants as well as the plant with the ripes ones I picked.

According to Wikipedia regarding the Sweet Potato vines, The young leaves and shoots are sometimes eaten as greens. I never would have thought of that if they did not mention it.

I was nibbling on some of t he Vine ripened Cherry Tomatoes as we were picking them today. I eat the Cherry Tomatoes and my Brother eats the Regular and Plum tomatoes. We grew two types of Cherry tomatoes this year, Yellow looking like a miniature plum and red ones.
    Oh, Roger...hemolysis usually happens when a too small bore needle is used. Lab techs and phlebotomists know this.. if for some reason, the sample was hemolyzed, the tests would not be performed on that sample. You have nothing to be concerned about.
    I forgot to mention the sweet potato vines are really pretty. They are on the ground, right? Or trained on a trellis?
    My grilled corn, red pepper, mushroom caps was delicious, and I reheated the tempeh just right at the end of the cooking. I haven't tried the onions, but I think they may need a bit more cooking? So, I may have to check out grilling onion later today. I can always nuke the one that I cooked...it will still have the grilled flavor :)
    I'm having just too much fun with that grill!

Later...

Hi Again
    The Sweet Potatoes I took the picture of are hanging over the side in a temporary raised bed we built out of wire mesh and Posts, Later in the fall when it is time my brother plans to let it collapse to get at the Potatoes easily and as he also wants to expand it so Not a problem. Well that is the plan anyway. This is the second year for it and considering it is just metal posts, wire mesh and the fabric used to keep weeds from coming up under things it has held up pretty good. If I remember to take the picture I can post the other side where more of the construction is exposed if You are interested. My Brother has been eating Fresh from the Garden Eggplant, Two kinds of peppers and three kinds of Onion as well as the different tomatoes FWIW :)

Enjoy the New Toy :)
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,234 Member
    edited August 2016
    Yep, the rain caught me. It was pouring when I left work. It waited until I left the kiosk, went into the store, and did my little bit of closing out work in there, and when i rung out, it was too late...so since I was doomed, I shopped a little, bought some things to make lunch (yes, I could have managed with stuff already at home) and trudged on out through the river...I mean parking lot, to my vehicle to head on home, where I made refried bean soft tacos, for a very satisfying lunch that I could share with J, who was working from home. The shredded lettuce and the soft, flour tortillas were freshly purchased, as well as he refried beans, though I could have made that myself from a can of pinto beans if necessary. If he's home tomorrow for lunch, we'll likely repeat as there are still some tortillas, salsa, lettuce, etc, left, and it's an EASY lunch.

Then, nap time with Lilo!

I had a chili cheese dog for dinner and in a couple of hours will be moseying on to bed.

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! The week is more than half over. High of 90 today, with 0% chance of rain according to the weather channel.

Off to the rat mines!

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• RogerToo
    edited August 2016
    Hi
    It was 69 this morning, Today I have done 7.8K Steps + No cents. While I was walking and Listening to a 1948 Radio show called Escape. 7 More episodes left and then decision time for what to listen to while walking :)

It was still comfortable out the door and on the return. I abandoned my plans to mow this morning since my neighbor Sealed the Driveway and no matter how careful I am some of the cut grass always ends up on it. Tomorrow I know it will be somewhat less comfortable but I do need to be a good neighbor :)

Later on today we need to strip the Turkey Carcass so it can go out the door for the last of this weeks garbage pickup and not hang around the kitchen garbage to smell up the place over the weekend. That also means weighing it into portions and freezing it and some of the Stuffing and maybe mashed Potatoes. I did not care for them after defrosting them the last time, My brother claimed I did not handle them right so they had the right texture when Microwaved.

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Yep, the rain caught me. It was pouring when I left work. It waited until I left the kiosk, went into the store, and did my little bit of closing out work in there, and when i rung out, it was too late...so since I was doomed, I shopped a little, bought some things to make lunch (yes, I could have managed with stuff already at home) and trudged on out through the river...I mean parking lot, to my vehicle to head on home, where I made refried bean soft tacos, for a very satisfying lunch that I could share with J, who was working from home. The shredded lettuce and the soft, flour tortillas were freshly purchased, as well as he refried beans, though I could have made that myself from a can of pinto beans if necessary. If he's home tomorrow for lunch, we'll likely repeat as there are still some tortillas, salsa, lettuce, etc, left, and it's an EASY lunch.

Then, nap time with Lilo!

I had a chili cheese dog for dinner and in a couple of hours will be moseying on to bed.
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! The week is more than half over. High of 90 today, with 0% chance of rain according to the weather channel.
    Hi Ed
    I was wondering if You got caught, Sorry to hear that it was that much rain however. The Chili Cheese Dog sounds delicious. Sometimes I just like a Hot Dog with Cheese and Ketchup, Sometimes Plain, Sometimes Ketchup only or Ketchup & Relish and last but not least, Cheese, Bacon and ketchup. Darned if I did not just make myself hungry :)

FWIW Our slim chance of rain, 20% , is Friday.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Good Morning...Thursday as noted. (I do this mostly for self, so IF I go back looking for something, makes it a little easier to find.)
    Top of list today is visit to chiro...
    I MAY go on to Whole Foods Midtown, for some chicken fried tofu.
    Ed, you lunch sounded good to me...I could actually eat that, as long as the refried beans remained animal free, and I'm guessing that it was since J ate some! :)
    Ya'll can eat the cheese dogs. I used to crave/love a hot dog about once/twice a year...but not eating them doesn't bother me. I was like Roger...ate my hot dog with whatever was handy...only I would have chosen mustard instead of the catsup! (its the tomato thing)...

Trash night, and a couple small things to catch up on and then Gymnastics tonite. Will I fight traffic again this week. Probably, I have no real desire to eat salty/greasy Chinese food the night before my annual physical!!!! LOL!

I seem to be missing a cat. Hoot hasn't been here to eat now for 3 meals. Wonder whats up with that? Miffed with me I'm guessing, cuz I wouldn't let the two of them in when they were soaking wet and crying at the back door. Its not like they're dogs, who'd patiently wait to be towel dried...no thanks to wet cat. :)

Ok, off to the shower.

Later...
  • parityanimal
    edited August 2016
    Howdy y'all. It's fabulous Friday! Training a new person this morning so the first half of my shift should be interesting.

Hopefully everything that can happen will, so she can learn. Realistically, things WILL come up after training that just didn't come up during it, and she'll have do figure it out. But that's going to be true with any job.

Supposed to reach a high of 92 today, with 40% chance of rain.

I won $50 in yesterday's Georgia drawing for Jumbo Bucks!

Off to the salt races!

• RogerToo
    Hi
    It was 75 Degrees this morning, Today I have completed 9,270 Steps + 32 cents found in a parking lot as I was crossing it. While I was walking I was Listening to a 1948 Radio show called Escape. 2 More episodes left and then decision time for what to listen to while walking :)
    I generally listen to Three 1/2 hour shows while walking so I really need to decide what to listen too once Escape is done tomorrow.

It was still moderately comfortable out the door and on the return. I decided to Mow tomorrow or Sunday as the Lawn does not look terrible. I can see where it sort of needs it OTOH.........

My Brother is heading out to the ShopRite in al little while and will pick up some of the 60 calorie per wrap, wraps. And since the Reduced Sugar Mount olive are on sale starting Sunday I have postponed their purchase. Not a Surprise to me that anything BBQ related is on sale FWIW. Example 80% Lean Hamburger will be $2.49, OTOH London Broil is going on sale for $1.99 and He can turn that into leaner hamburger for less per pound :)

Have a Great Friday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good Morning...Thursday as noted. (I do this mostly for self, so IF I go back looking for something, makes it a little easier to find.)
    Top of list today is visit to chiro...
    I MAY go on to Whole Foods Midtown, for some chicken fried tofu.
    Ed, you lunch sounded good to me...I could actually eat that, as long as the refried beans remained animal free, and I'm guessing that it was since J ate some! :)
    Ya'll can eat the cheese dogs. I used to crave/love a hot dog about once/twice a year...but not eating them doesn't bother me. I was like Roger...ate my hot dog with whatever was handy...only I would have chosen mustard instead of the catsup! (its the tomato thing)...

Trash night, and a couple small things to catch up on and then Gymnastics tonite. Will I fight traffic again this week. Probably, I have no real desire to eat salty/greasy Chinese food the night before my annual physical!!!! LOL!

I seem to be missing a cat. Hoot hasn't been here to eat now for 3 meals. Wonder whats up with that? Miffed with me I'm guessing, cuz I wouldn't let the two of them in when they were soaking wet and crying at the back door. Its not like they're dogs, who'd patiently wait to be towel dried...no thanks to wet cat. :)

Ok, off to the shower.

Later...

Hi Valerie
    And strangely enough I have never really used Mustard. About the only place I had it was on fast food Burgers where McD's used to put a small squirt from their large Grease Gun looking dispenser that takes cartridges of Ketchup, Mayo or Mustard. I believe they had one for each of those and the amount applied was calibrated by the Guns plunger travel per squeeze. If curious they would put a pattern of dots on the Toasted buns. The Buns used to smell so good when toasting too. Despite that in my area the Bun formula was a very simple recipe. I know this as I had a brother worked in one of their bakeries. I used to be in the back of the McD's when working elsewhere and knew a lot of the managers and owners.

I would think You could find some Chinese that is vegetarian and not greasy, or just not something You would like. Around here they carry a lot of the same menu items, OTOH only the one that my brother has settled on carries Crispy Duck.

Hopefully nothing serious with the Cat only miffed as You say, they can be something else.

I do not crave Hot Dogs as such, OTOH I would like to get a Jimmy Buffs Italian Hot Dog or Italian Sausage. They are deep fried in a Sloping tray and put in 1/4 or 1/2 of a round Italian Pizza bread that has a small hole in the Center. Served with Deep Fried Potatoes, Onions, Peppers and a smear of Mustard in the Bun unless requested to leave something off of the sandwich.

Jimmy Buff's, the originator of the Italian style hot dog and sausage sandwiches. We've been doin' it Italian Style since 1932!
    http://www.jimmybuffskenilworth.com/menu/
    Here is a Picture of what they call a Combo, A Hot Dog and Italian Sausage in one sandwich.
    daPCrL.jpg

Have a nice Day
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's fabulous Friday! Training a new person this morning so the first half of my shift should be interesting.

Hopefully everything that can happen will, so she can learn. Realistically, things WILL come up after training that just didn't come up during it, and she'll have do figure it out. But that's going to be true with any job.

Supposed to reach a high of 92 today, with 40% chance of rain.
    Hi Ed
    Into each life a little rain must fall, In your case it may be a double header, Training and a chance of rain. 20% in our case chance of rain.

Have a Great last workday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    BTW Jimmy Buffs even has a Veggie Sandwich :)

Menu link is posted above if curious.

Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Good afternoon...its Funk Friday.
    Had my meeting with little Doc this morning...it did not go well in my opinion!
    Most of my labs are fantastic...Sodium was a bit low, so out loud I said 'use salt again'...boy was she opposed to that! BUT...my blood sugar was way too high. I was so ARGGGG!!
    So she decided I need a blood pressure med, other than the diuretic I was taking...(which she said accounts for my low sodium)..not that it was 'awful', it was 2 points below range. ARGGG again! I showed her my readings from April 9th when I got an app for that...all 120's to 140's, not the 180 she was getting.... My White Coat Syndrome at its best/worst??????

Roger I would love to see the pix of your brothers raised garden bed. Always open to new ideas!!! And it sounds like his gardens do great for him. (exclude deer, and other critters)
    I laughed aloud when your referenced the Veggie Sandwich at Jimmy Buffs!!! I was never a mustard gal, but in my life's travels, I ran into a coworker/friend who put mustard on his French Fries....I thought that was really weird...until I tried it!!! Loved it...and it started my mustard habit on lots of stuff....honey mustard anything, mustard on burgers, small amounts in potato salad, baked beans, etc....

ED!!! $50 bucks! You surely out did Roger and I!!! I'm happy anything I win $7-8 from matching 3 in Fantasy Five! (I have in the past...like 2-3 years ago win $90 in Fant. Five....but I've been playing the same #'s for years...so nothing to be excited about. I've never played Jumbo Bucks....maybe I should re-thing that! :)

I'm sorry, my brain just isn't working...it can't get off my blood pressure. My diet SHOULD be keeping my BP in check... aggravating, just aggravating...........:(

Later guys...
    Oh, and missing cat is still missing.
    Have a great day....and fun weekend!

• GardenKatGardens
    Missing wild woods kitty was found.... Hoot is in kitty heaven. For a wild outdoor cat, his 12.25 years was pretty good. So, now its just me and Tom E. Cat! Heaven help me. :)

Tomorrow morning hockey in Cumming, 9:10! I shouldn't need to worry about traffic!

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Hi Ed
    I meant to congratulate You on Your winnings and forgot to. So here Goes, Congratulations!
    Roger
    Good afternoon...its Funk Friday.
    Had my meeting with little Doc this morning...it did not go well in my opinion!
    Most of my labs are fantastic...Sodium was a bit low, so out loud I said 'use salt again'...boy was she opposed to that! BUT...my blood sugar was way too high. I was so ARGGGG!!
    So she decided I need a blood pressure med, other than the diuretic I was taking...(which she said accounts for my low sodium)..not that it was 'awful', it was 2 points below range. ARGGG again! I showed her my readings from April 9th when I got an app for that...all 120's to 140's, not the 180 she was getting.... My White Coat Syndrome at its best/worst??????

Roger I would love to see the pix of your brothers raised garden bed. Always open to new ideas!!! And it sounds like his gardens do great for him. (exclude deer, and other critters)
    I laughed aloud when your referenced the Veggie Sandwich at Jimmy Buffs!!! I was never a mustard gal, but in my life's travels, I ran into a coworker/friend who put mustard on his French Fries....I thought that was really weird...until I tried it!!! Loved it...and it started my mustard habit on lots of stuff....honey mustard anything, mustard on burgers, small amounts in potato salad, baked beans, etc....

ED!!! $50 bucks! You surely out did Roger and I!!! I'm happy anything I win $7-8 from matching 3 in Fantasy Five! (I have in the past...like 2-3 years ago win $90 in Fant. Five....but I've been playing the same #'s for years...so nothing to be excited about. I've never played Jumbo Bucks....maybe I should re-thing that! :)

I'm sorry, my brain just isn't working...it can't get off my blood pressure. My diet SHOULD be keeping my BP in check... aggravating, just aggravating...........:(

Later guys...
    Oh, and missing cat is still missing.
    Have a great day....and fun weekend!

Hi Valerie
    FWIW and I am not sure how accurate they are I use a Contour BS monitor. I have two models one on each floor :)

They are close to each other when I tested one against the other however only close. they came with a test liquid FWIW, I do not know how accurate that is either.

Bottom line they both say the FBS is good so I only check now and then as I am cheap and the test strips are not!

Hopefully the high BP was an anomaly. I use a Cheap BP thing I picked up at harbor freight that straps on the wrist and Thus I can take it along if I want to to take the BP while walking or exercising. It even stores readings

Good Luck
    Roger
    Missing wild woods kitty was found.... Hoot is in kitty heaven. For a wild outdoor cat, his 12.25 years was pretty good. So, now its just me and Tom E. Cat! Heaven help me. :)

Tomorrow morning hockey in Cumming, 9:10! I shouldn't need to worry about traffic!

Later...
    Hi Again
    I am sorry to hear that Hoot has passed on.

9:10Am or PM?

Either way missing traffic is the best :)

Have a Good Upcoming weekend
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Hey,
    Roger thank you...Hoot was the wildest one who never tamed. I was only allowed to touch him when I called them to eat..and if I did that too often, he would sit outside the porch and wait for me to go in the house and close the door before he'd come on the porch and eat. Sorry he's dead, but his muzzle had gotten white, and I was not overly surprised. Just saddened.

a.m. hockey...9:10 p would be a mess! I go thru business heaven, shopping malls, groceries, etc. miles and miles of them.....so, no, 9:10a.m. is just fine.

I have a blood pressure cuff I've never taken out of the box...oops.. I check it every Wednesday at Publix when I was there to do my grocery shopping...and I would log it into an app on my phone...she saw it and by the time they were done, I'd been measured with 2 different cuffs, on both arms...and it just kept getting worse til it was up to 180...if they'd kept it up I'd have probably stroked!!! LOL!!! So, new drug , back in two weeks to check it out....oh, she noticed I'd gained weight....2 pounds...I just laughed, my wt will fluctuate that much day to day....no the blood pressure was the real issue...it just irks me to no end.
    You can take your cuffs to a fire station...most check blood pressures gratis these days. And check them against theirs. Also, how far apart are they? BP's are a snap shot, and can vary a few mm/mercury from 5 minutes ago...
    I think I'm going to put a lid on this day, and go crawl in bed, check progress on the Scrabble game..., do a Suduko or two, and a word game I play...and then sleep!

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Valerie, I'm so sorry to hear about Hoot. But he had a better life because of you. I have cried like a baby every time I have had to let a cat go to heaven. At least you didn't have to decide for him, which is ALWAYS very hard. Still, I know the pain.

More kale, less fruit? And beans. Beans are a diabetic's friend!

We had dinner at a nice Persian restaurant tonight. Expensive, but very nice.