Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good Thursday morning!
    Its 68 degrees in my house again this morning. . . that's winter time temperature, and I'm freezing! I have a feeling that this winter the indoor temp is going to be at least 70. I'll just have to cut the budget someplace else. No point in being so 'thrifty' that I'm miserable.
    Thinking about some heat...will maybe use the oven for something soon as I'm finished here.

I have to quit whining about the Ortho Doc's personal info breech...email from my friend Marietta...she got 4 letters..for self, hubby, and one each for her in-laws. Four...I remain silent!

Tom E's been fed, and already the little birds are hopping onto the porch to have a few bites of the dry cat food! Crazy birds. Or very smart birds, they obviously know Tom is was beyond hunting feathered creatures.

I have good neighbors. Really good neighbors. I'm thinking someone from the Gonzales household turned off my outdoor sprinkler sometime yesterday. I'd turned it on when I got the mail about 4:30. Read about the C/C etc info, totally forgot the sprinkler...UNTIL, about 2:30 a.m when I'd just crawled back in bed after a trip to the potty....so I got up, grabbed a robe, and put on some shoes...disarmed the alarm system, and the sprinkler was not waving water. So, sometime, and I don't know just when, some very thoughtful and kind person turned off my water at the faucet, and saved me a few bucks. I can say that that area of the yard is well watered!!! :)
    I need to look into timers that will cut off the water. I know they exist, Jack has used them in the past. So, when I see him tonite at Gymnastics I'll get the skinny on what to buy at Home Depot or online... end of problem!

Ok, breakfast is calling. Talk about simple...I have a roasted sweet potato, and enough baked seasoned tofu to make a good start...only need to cook some spinach and I"ll have a dandy 'warm' delicious breakfast. Going to have lunch with Marietta, and after Gymnastics dinner will be cereal...hot or cold to be determined probably by the temp. of the house! :).

Ed, not that I want any, but where did you get the cubed pork steaks? I'm like Roger, have seen beef...which is a great way to tenderize bottom round, and assorted pieces of tough beef...but I don't recall ever seeing pork done that way.
    Hope you wore your jacket....its 48 degrees on my back porch right now at 8:45...forgot to look when I got up at 7. This is really good walking weather, but its a bit chilly for my old bones! (not to mention my cold nose and toes!)

Later...
  • GardenKatGardens
    Ok, solved the mysterious Roger popping up! I saw the notification that you were typing as I was typing, and so I had to reload the page...

Roger, what happened? I cannot imagine its anything good. I do hope you are not ill and nothings broken, strained, pulled, etc. Happy thought...maybe its just raining? No, you'd have said so....rain is not a long story for you.

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi Valerie
    It does seem as if when something bad happens to You someone else has it worse.

Damn hackers :(

That is the same reason I put the heat on the other day, As You say no sense being miserable.

You do seem to have nice Neighbors, always a blessing.

I'm not sure if they have timers You can attach to the faucet and plug into a outside outlet for power or maybe battery powered? Either way if they are outside above ground I would think they have to be brought into the house or well drained for freezing weather.

That sounds like a enjoyable Breakfast. I suspect a Hot cereal tonight.

When it starts getting this cold I feel it in my fingers first. You might think I'd also feel it in my feet, Nope. Hence the had warmers to go in the mittens :)

Have a Fun Day out and about
    Roger

P.S. As I said a longish story, maybe one of these days. For now lets say I am not walking for a couple of days minimum with a sore knee.
  • GardenKatGardens
    Oh Roger,
    Hope nothing damaged with your knee, and just needing a good rest.
    Yes, I do have the very best neighbors next door.
    The timers are sorta like spring loaded, I guess....like the old kitchen timers before digitals...twist it, and at the appointed time, it buzzes. Now, that's just a guess...

And yes, like the hose has to be drained, so the timer will have to come into the garage...no big deal, as I can't think of anything here that would require winter watering...unless I plant some pansies, and it ends up being a dry winter like they are saying we'll have...and that I can do with a watering can.

Also I do understand about not having a place for a compost pile. They can be unsightly unless caged in chicken wire, or one of the manufactured ones...etc. My back yard is totally inclosed, so in one corner I made a compost pile...worked for years...and then 'something' started digging through it....yep, my bandit faced foes! SO, right now no compost pile, BUT :)
    I have an old screen door so some great warm gotta get outside afternoon, I will 'screen' it with chicken wire, and lay it over the spring compost pile. At least in my mind this will work. I may have to set a couple cinder/concrete blocks on it to keep the little beasties from simply moving it. Like monkeys, they have 5 usable 'fingers and toes'...makes them pretty clever.

Hope the knee does well the next few days, and won't require a lengthy rehab.

Later...

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,233 Member
    Back and posing before nap time with Lilo. J is finishing off his roasted veggie and cheese tamales, and I ate a can of soup.

My Kroger store occasionally makes pork cube steak. I'm not sure what cut they make it from, but they are quite good when cooked up. I lucked out on finding three packages (three steaks each) in the "used meat" rack and they were marked down enough to be almost a steal! Two packages remain in the freezer and the first package was sautéed in ghee with just salt, pepper, and crushed rosemary. No breading at all, though I know most people dredge these sorts of things in seasoned flour. That package came out delicious.

I might smother the next package in a can of cream of mushroom soup. I like pork chops made that way and I think it would work well with the cube steaks, adding a bit of garlic, some onion perhaps, pepper, rosemary and hot paprika. Or anything else that pops into my head. LOL!

Italian seasoning would probably work well in that too.

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    edited October 2016
    Ah...dinner complete.

Tonight’s dinner: Vegetarian Chili Taco Salad, made with Azteca taco salad shells (the BEST!), home made spicy hot vegetarian chili, shredded lettuce, home made honey mustard dressing, diced tomato, Kroger Private Select hot habanero salsa, home made guacamole, and Kroger shredded Mexican style cheese.

Wine of choice: Diseño Old Vine Malbec, 2014, Argentina. A little bit stronger on the tannins than what I’ve been drinking lately, but it worked well with the food. I didn’t wait for the food to start drinking it… :P
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's fabulous Friday!

High of 81 predicted for today with 10% chance of rain.

Off to the salt races!

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • RogerToo
    Oh Roger,
    Hope nothing damaged with your knee, and just needing a good rest.
    Yes, I do have the very best neighbors next door.
    The timers are sorta like spring loaded, I guess....like the old kitchen timers before digitals...twist it, and at the appointed time, it buzzes. Now, that's just a guess...

And yes, like the hose has to be drained, so the timer will have to come into the garage...no big deal, as I can't think of anything here that would require winter watering...unless I plant some pansies, and it ends up being a dry winter like they are saying we'll have...and that I can do with a watering can.

Also I do understand about not having a place for a compost pile. They can be unsightly unless caged in chicken wire, or one of the manufactured ones...etc. My back yard is totally inclosed, so in one corner I made a compost pile...worked for years...and then 'something' started digging through it....yep, my bandit faced foes! SO, right now no compost pile, BUT :)
    I have an old screen door so some great warm gotta get outside afternoon, I will 'screen' it with chicken wire, and lay it over the spring compost pile. At least in my mind this will work. I may have to set a couple cinder/concrete blocks on it to keep the little beasties from simply moving it. Like monkeys, they have 5 usable 'fingers and toes'...makes them pretty clever.

Hope the knee does well the next few days, and won't require a lengthy rehab.

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    Thank You for asking, I had hoped to be able to get out and about Today or Tomorrow, Now I do not think that will be happening as I felt more pain overnight last night than the night before :(
    it may be time to see the doctor, that is something I do not like to do FWIW. I hope this is just a minor speed bump on the road of life.

I could see a Spring powered timer like You describe that simply shuts off the water when the time is up as being simple, reliable and hopefully inexpensive.

I suspect that we have Raccoons and Skunks to go with the tree rats and walking appetites AKA Deer in this neighborhood. I have seen them around town or in the yard. I have also seen Turkeys and Buzzards and Fox nearby too. I have Opossum near some of the brooks in the area too. Considering this is a Old well populated area of NJ it is somewhat surprising how they have integrated themselves into city life. I have heard that we have had Coyotes sighted too, They are even invading New York City.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Back and posing before nap time with Lilo. J is finishing off his roasted veggie and cheese tamales, and I ate a can of soup.

My Kroger store occasionally makes pork cube steak. I'm not sure what cut they make it from, but they are quite good when cooked up. I lucked out on finding three packages (three steaks each) in the "used meat" rack and they were marked down enough to be almost a steal! Two packages remain in the freezer and the first package was sautéed in ghee with just salt, pepper, and crushed rosemary. No breading at all, though I know most people dredge these sorts of things in seasoned flour. That package came out delicious.

I might smother the next package in a can of cream of mushroom soup. I like pork chops made that way and I think it would work well with the cube steaks, adding a bit of garlic, some onion perhaps, pepper, rosemary and hot paprika. Or anything else that pops into my head. LOL!

Italian seasoning would probably work well in that too.
    Hi Ed
    Thank You for the explanation of the Pork Cube Steaks. I am sure they would be great smothered with Mushroom Soup.

I have had and enjoyed Chicken Breasts baked after being covered with Mushroom Soup and They were tasty.
    Ah...dinner complete.

Tonight’s dinner: Vegetarian Chili Taco Salad, made with Azteca taco salad shells (the BEST!), home made spicy hot vegetarian chili, shredded lettuce, home made honey mustard dressing, diced tomato, Kroger Private Select hot habanero salsa, home made guacamole, and Kroger shredded Mexican style cheese.

Wine of choice: Diseño Old Vine Malbec, 2014, Argentina. A little bit stronger on the tannins than what I’ve been drinking lately, but it worked well with the food. I didn’t wait for the food to start drinking it… :P
    Interesting that You like that specific brand. I have heard that some people do a double shell by putting a Tortilla around the hard Taco shell in case it breaks.
    Howdy y'all. It's fabulous Friday!

High of 81 predicted for today with 10% chance of rain.
    Our rain yesterday was a teaser, the road and sidewalks were wet and it was still dry under the trees. Not a useful amount.

Enjoy the Day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Good Afternoon!
    Busy this morning...finally made my potato leek soup...tasty. Would have been over the top with the called for 2T butter, instead of the 1T EVOO and some broth that I actually used.

Have spent several valuable hours hunting down the name of a plant that Jenn's Mom wanted an I.D for. first pix was in a text message and I couldn't really tell what I was looking at...next she sent it as requested in an email...that helped. Flower looked somewhat familiar and distinctive as it is like a fan shape, or 'half a circle'...so I hit the internet, finally gave up on that and got out several of my hard bound plant books...I think I found it, sent it to her, and the reply I got back was 'Sort of'..... Like that was a help? So I sent her some ideas of where she could send the pix for i.d. and I am now officially 'quit'.

Beautiful day out...I don't think we need worry about that 10% rain chance...and probably not the 20% chance of brief showers for tomorrow either. Lake's down 10 ft they said on the news today. It was down 20 ft when we had the big drought several years ago.

Got a bit more computer stuff to get done, and then I may just go out and pick up sticks. Too nice to be indoors.

Later...
  • parityanimal
    WE SOLD THE HOUSE IN MEMPHIS! Closing was yesterday. Utilities have already been transferred to the new owners (I checked with the utility company) and the closing money is in J's account. We have just about enough to cover the money we borrowed for the agreed upon repairs and carpet replacement that we did during the sale process.

After the dust settles we should also get a bit more back from overpayment of the remaining mortgage and whatever little bit is left in the escrow account.

And I gave notice at Kroger today. October 28 will be my last day working there.

I'll probably find something else but I need something where I'm not so essential and definitely not getting up at 3:00 in the morning!

Cheeseburger and fries for celebration lunch. I didn't eat any of the bun though. :)

• parityanimal
    Oh, and I got shot today!

My flu shot that is...

• GardenKatGardens
    YEA!!!! I know you're glad to have that house Done!!!
    Last day Oct. 28th! Thats fantastic! I know you'll be glad to be a 'normal' person again.
    Boy will Lilo be confused for a few days!! :)
    I was shot a month ago. I thought that was a bit early, as I usually get mine about now too, but little doc said it was ok...so I did it.

Again very happy for you! Kroger will miss you...pity. They'll be a long minute finding a replacement as dedicated and knowledgable as you. Big ole congrats hug.
  • parityanimal
    edited October 2016
    I don't think it will take me too long to get used to sleeping a bit later than 3:00! And then I can stay up sometimes until midnight, when I turn into a pumpkin...

Speaking of pumpkins...well, winter squash anyway, my CSA box arrived today with a red kabocha squash instead of the red kuri squash I had ordered. Not a huge deal, but I did send a note about it, even telling them I didn't necessarily need a replacement but just wanted to know that if I ordered a red kuri the next time I'd actually get a red kuri.

Regardless I'm sure I'll enjoy the kabocha as I pretty much like all the winter squash...

I know, first world problems, right? LOL
  • GardenKatGardens
    Ok, I had to look up both squashes! And both sound interesting and tasty good. Wonder if I could tolerate them. I love good old acorn squash and really miss not eating it. Many years ago I ate a spagh. squash that apparently wasn't good, and it instantly made me quite ill. After that I tried a butternut with the same trip to hug the porcelain. Really sad, as I love squash. Haven't tried any in years, so maybe I'll get brave and have a go at squash again this fall. Hmmmm.

• parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's the Ides of October! High of 82 predicted today with a 20% chance of rain. We might go to a house party this afternoon/evening, but might not. I'd rather like to go because one of the other guests who might arrive is having a birthday today and I'd like to give a hug.

Even though J and I stayed up late marathoning the rest of the ending season of Downton Abbey, so that I didn't get to bed until after I'd turned into a pumpkin, I was up at 5:15 this morning. So Lilo and I have had breakfast and I'll get back to bed later for some more morning nap I suppose.

Meanwhile, I'll just get distracted by the internet...
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    It is 42 degrees this morning a change to the colder from yesterdays temperature. I won't be walking today. I'll be siting here drinking my coffee. This is the rest of Thursdays coffee that I need to Microwave since I went to the bank Yesterday and stopped at McDonalds for a large black coffee instead of heating the leftover coffee.

Forecast today for the 60s, warmer tomorrow and parts of NJ had a frost warning for the overnight Friday into Saturday morning. First one of those that I can remember for this season.

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good Afternoon!
    Busy this morning...finally made my potato leek soup...tasty. Would have been over the top with the called for 2T butter, instead of the 1T EVOO and some broth that I actually used.

Have spent several valuable hours hunting down the name of a plant that Jenn's Mom wanted an I.D for. first pix was in a text message and I couldn't really tell what I was looking at...next she sent it as requested in an email...that helped. Flower looked somewhat familiar and distinctive as it is like a fan shape, or 'half a circle'...so I hit the internet, finally gave up on that and got out several of my hard bound plant books...I think I found it, sent it to her, and the reply I got back was 'Sort of'..... Like that was a help? So I sent her some ideas of where she could send the pix for i.d. and I am now officially 'quit'.

Beautiful day out...I don't think we need worry about that 10% rain chance...and probably not the 20% chance of brief showers for tomorrow either. Lake's down 10 ft they said on the news today. It was down 20 ft when we had the big drought several years ago.

Got a bit more computer stuff to get done, and then I may just go out and pick up sticks. Too nice to be indoors.

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    We are in a moderate drought condition here too as it has been a dry summer overall and there was not that much snow last winter either.

When You said I may just go out and pick up sticks it reminded me of the Game :)
    Ok, I had to look up both squashes! And both sound interesting and tasty good. Wonder if I could tolerate them. I love good old acorn squash and really miss not eating it. Many years ago I ate a spagh. squash that apparently wasn't good, and it instantly made me quite ill. After that I tried a butternut with the same trip to hug the porcelain. Really sad, as I love squash. Haven't tried any in years, so maybe I'll get brave and have a go at squash again this fall. Hmmmm.
    I love Winter Squash of all kinds. We always had Butternut and Acorn and others such as Turks Turban roasted with butter melted into them. Squash pairs nicely with Thanksgiving as a side to the Turkey. I have avoided it the last couple of years working on losing weight, This Year I think I may start using them again occasionally :)

Good Luck trying the squash.
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited October 2016
    WE SOLD THE HOUSE IN MEMPHIS! Closing was yesterday. Utilities have already been transferred to the new owners (I checked with the utility company) and the closing money is in J's account. We have just about enough to cover the money we borrowed for the agreed upon repairs and carpet replacement that we did during the sale process.

After the dust settles we should also get a bit more back from overpayment of the remaining mortgage and whatever little bit is left in the escrow account.

And I gave notice at Kroger today. October 28 will be my last day working there.

I'll probably find something else but I need something where I'm not so essential and definitely not getting up at 3:00 in the morning!

Cheeseburger and fries for celebration lunch. I didn't eat any of the bun though. :)
    Hi Ed
    Congratulations on being done with the sale. I hope You get more than a little $ back.

I suspect that they will miss You, finding help is easy, finding reliable and honest trustworthy help is extremely hard. I know on my last job they had problems finding good help for another location. Not to mention in the late 90s we had a suspected thief. We were pretty sure once we noticed things missing, When he moved on surprise the missing items problem stopped too.
    Oh, and I got shot today!

My flu shot that is...

Nice one.

Flu Shot is something I have not been getting for years. So far so good despite that.
    I don't think it will take me too long to get used to sleeping a bit later than 3:00! And then I can stay up sometimes until midnight, when I turn into a pumpkin...

Speaking of pumpkins...well, winter squash anyway, my CSA box arrived today with a red kabocha squash instead of the red kuri squash I had ordered. Not a huge deal, but I did send a note about it, even telling them I didn't necessarily need a replacement but just wanted to know that if I ordered a red kuri the next time I'd actually get a red kuri.

Regardless I'm sure I'll enjoy the kabocha as I pretty much like all the winter squash...

I know, first world problems, right? LOL
    I know I have much more of a problem getting used to getting up early compared to getting up later which is easy. I did my years of getting up in the overnight hours, it was much better once I got the last job and was able to get up at 9AM + and still be at work for a 10AM opening :)

OK I did a Valerie and looked up the Squash types, since the Red Kuri is in the Hubbard squash family I am sure it is tasty. The Red Kabocha squash also sounds delicious.
    Howdy y'all. It's the Ides of October! High of 82 predicted today with a 20% chance of rain. We might go to a house party this afternoon/evening, but might not. I'd rather like to go because one of the other guests who might arrive is having a birthday today and I'd like to give a hug.

Even though J and I stayed up late marathoning the rest of the ending season of Downton Abbey, so that I didn't get to bed until after I'd turned into a pumpkin, I was up at 5:15 this morning. So Lilo and I have had breakfast and I'll get back to bed later for some more morning nap I suppose.

Meanwhile, I'll just get distracted by the internet...

Your weather sounds so much better than ours for this time of year. Downton Abbey is a show I just never looked at, I have had more TV series that I watch than I have had time to watch as is without adding another one.

Good Luck on the nap front
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    iln3o3.jpg
    Chicken Pot Pie

Y2UOjn.jpg

bfBbBH.gif

zYNlMM.gif

q9hG0Z.gif