Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,233 Member
    Lilo and nature let me sleep in until about 5:30 this morning. Lilo and I have both been fed, and I'm finishing up the chicken soup. Just need to bring it back to a boil, add some ditalini, cook that and then perhaps have a small bowl as a sample, and put the rest in the fridge for later meals/snacks.

J and a friend want to go to Woodstock today to visit an orchid nursery there. Don't know yet whether I'll go along, but probably will.

Last night's dinner was pretty much as anticipated: A sauté (using ghee) of bell pepper, broccoli, and Shiitake mushrooms. Spiced, roasted potatoes, Hakurei turnips, and onions. Wine of choice: Sea Pines, Old Vine Petite Sirah, 2014, Lodi, California.

While the soup is heating I guess I'll clear the sink from last night's feeding of the sugar gliders.

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    The soup turned out quite nicely. I had a small bowl as a sample and the remainder is in the refrigerator. Crockpot is all cleaned up and sink is empty. This has been a really good roasted chicken, and I'm so glad I made soup out of the last bit of leftovers.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi
    It is 52 degrees this morning cloudy and rainy, 16 degrees colder than yesterday, I went walked today for 8,999 steps One shy of 9K.
    Forecast today is for rain and later today windy. I geared up for the walk in in a medium weight long sleeve sweatshirt and my Frogg Toggs and of course gloves and was OK. The rain hitting the Hood on the Jacket sounded just like scratches on a record would :)

I was Listening to a Charlie Chan movie soundtrack while walking. One line stuck in my head. Someone told him he needs to use a Lie Detector, His answer, I have a Instant Lie detector, I'm married :)

The MFP problems yesterday are likely related to the DDOS that was on the news.

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Hi! I'm home...semi unpacked, Tom E. fed and loved on, I've had a snack, and now I'm heading to bed...hockey game tomorrow morning at 8:50...meaning 8a.m. leaving home time....we'll see if I make it.... :)
    Will catch up with you guys tomorrow..
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday!

High today predicted to be only 75, with 0% chance of rain. ONE WEEK - 5 DAYS to go and then I'm free again! At least for a while.

Breakfast was a big bowl of my chicken soup, with a few nibbles on the side.

Maybe laundry today. We'll see.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• parityanimal
    Squash bounty from yesterday's run to the farmers market. 3 different colored acorn squash and one smallish turban squash. They should all be delicious.

20161022_185408_zpswwid14ys.jpg
  • RogerToo
    edited October 2016
    Hi
    It is 47 degrees this morning and sunny. I went walking today for 8,149 steps. The forecast high for today is in the 60s.

The Frightmare on 16th Street Haunted house a family tradition for 31 years

http://hudsonreporter.com/view/full_story/2414119/article-The-Frightmare-on-16th-Street-Haunted-house-a-family-tradition-for-31-years
    Tom Cannella grew up with 1950s science fiction and horror movies
    Cannella, whose home has become something of a local legend.

Kids and adults line up for almost a month before Halloween to see what he will come up with next.

"I started out small and just added something every year," Cannella said.

Most of the additions have some interactive component, such as a moving arm or characters that suddenly come alive whenever someone comes near.

"I don't let anybody into the house," he said. "But we put up barricades and let people walk by the house."

People do, often lining up to wait their turn, especially on Halloween.

The interactive elements are only part of the fun. Over the years, family members and friends have joined in what amounts to a large Halloween party by dressing up. This year, their pet dog, Odie, dressed up as a lobster, and Cannella's grandson, Brandon, dressed up as Nemo.

He's mad!!!

This year, Cannella added a mad scientist to the collection that features over 50 separate interactive items. Some of the life-sized figures are from manufacturer's catalogues, but some are Cannella's own creations, with family members supplying him with clothing and other items.

Pictures Here
    http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index.ssf/2013/10/the_house_at_436_kennnedy_blvd.html

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi! I'm home...semi unpacked, Tom E. fed and loved on, I've had a snack, and now I'm heading to bed...hockey game tomorrow morning at 8:50...meaning 8a.m. leaving home time....we'll see if I make it.... :)
    Will catch up with you guys tomorrow..
    Hi Valerie
    I used to not unpack until the next day after returning from vacation so You are ahead of me that way :)

We had 1/4 inch rain yesterday as near as I can tell. It then stopped raining and got very windy, Today a mild breeze that was tolerable while walking.

The replacement Kindle cover shows as out for Delivery today. AFAICT it is amazons own delivery service.

Enjoy the Hockey Game
    Roger
    Squash bounty from yesterday's run to the farmers market. 3 different colored acorn squash and one smallish turban squash. They should all be delicious.

20161022_185408_zpswwid14ys.jpg

Hi Ed
    I have had the Turks Turban before and it was delicious, Turks Turban might be a regional name?
    Acorn is good, I prefer the Turks Turban and Butternut TBH. However I am sure You will enjoy them all. I always had them with butter FWIW.

Have a Nice Sunday and upcoming last week of work
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited October 2016
    nis6bX.jpg

suYT1j.jpg

FYET7g.jpg
    Epic Fail

2Nmu4f.jpg
    Epic Fail Too :)

lDU9Gz.jpg
  • GardenKatGardens
    Hi!
    I DID go to the hockey game. It ended up in a tie, was a good game! Then Jack/coach had his own game today, but I didn't stay for that one. I came home nibbled on some humus and pita chips and slept for awhile! Now waking up, going thru email...etc. I still have unpacking to do, and it may well have to wait until Tues, as tomorrow morning I have a chiro appt, and then birthday lunch with Ted. His birthday is Tues, but Monday will have to do! :) We're going to Cafe Sunflower. And I will pick up a cake at Whole Foods as I go past it tomorrow. Hoping for a Hummingbird cake, as I know that's his favorite.

Roger great pix. The house decorations are fantastic!

I saw this in my emails this morning from the GA Dept of Agriculture:
    Nutrisystem Everyday, LLC- Nutricrush Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bar-Recalled due to concerns that the chocolate chip cookie dough has the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. Product was sold online through Amazon.com and Walmart.com. The bar was sold in a 5-count carton, with UPC code 6 32674 85579 4, Enjoy by Aug 22 2017 and Lot Code NF082216A.
    I don't think you get these, but I also know you bargain hunt :) So, better forewarned than really sick!

Sunny outside. And its that hot fall sun that can really 'burn'. I turned on the heat a few minutes ago. Get the chill out of the house. I'm a wimp! And its going to warm up tomorrow and Tuesday I think....but for now it will be 70 inside my house!! :)

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Hi Valerie
    A nice enjoyable Hockey Game for You, Whee.
    Good Luck finding the cake. Enjoy the Birthday Lunch with Ted.

I actually do have some of Nutricrush bars that I got through NS, However mine should be OK unless they expand the recall significantly. The closest I have is a lunch bar Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bar UPC code 6 32674 58140 2, Enjoy by Dec 11, 2016 and Lot Code NF121115A and not what You posted "UPC code 6 32674 85579 4, Enjoy by Aug 22 2017 and Lot Code NF082216A."
    I also tried and have a NutriCrush Peanut Butter Chocolate bar with a different UPC and date code.

For the heck of it I looked on Amazon and I see several flavors of Nutricrush Bars that I do not see on the NS site itself so I'm a bit puzzled by that.

I turned on the heat Yesterday too.

Stay Comfortable and Thank You for the heads up just in case.
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    I decided to be lazy today. No laundry. Maybe one afternoon later in the week...

Tonight’s dinner: Eye of round, braised in red wine with a hefty splash of liquid smoke, served with the red wine reduction (and drippings) as a gravy. Sides of lightly buttered, steamed, asparagus tips and microwave baked red kabocha squash. Wine of choice (used for the cooking AND the drinking) was Pat Paulsen Winery’s American Gothic California Dry Red Table Wine.

G'nite all!

Tonight’s dinner: Eye of round, braised in red wine with a hefty splash of liquid smoke, served with the red wine reduction (and drippings) as a gravy. Sides of lightly buttered, steamed, asparagus tips and microwave baked red kabocha squash. Wine of choice (used for the cooking AND the drinking) was Pat Paulsen Winery’s American Gothic California Dry Red Table Wine.
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday!

High of 80 predicted for today with 0% chance of rain.

Off to the salt races!

• GardenKatGardens
    Good Morning!
    Having a cup of decaf...yuck. Need to find a better alternative. Or, I may just get used to it.

Great Dinner Ed! Did you enjoy the Kabocha squash? It was a pretty color.

I guess summer has truly gone...calendar says its time. Could use some rain, still. Hasn't rained in weeks, unless it happened while I was gone last week. Lake lowest its been in 4-5 years they said on the news last night. This is not good.

Chiro today, and then I'm picking up cake for my birthday boy! The 'boy' will be 47 tomorrow. Good Grief how did that happen??? :) Will have a nice lunch, and then the Mom will head home before traffic comes to a creep and crawl.

I had some pretty good food while at the beach...all from the 'sides' portion of the menu. One place had squash casserole, and I decided I'd eat and enjoy even though it probably had stuff in it that I prefer not to eat. Well....best I could tell it was just yellow crookneck that was devoid of liquid, with some seasonings like onion, probably a bit of salt, and some black pepper. It was delicious.
    And Ed....figure this out... there was Grits Fritters on the menu at another place, and I decided to try them, grits not being my fav. food. These were not disk shaped, but round as a golf ball, definitely deep fried, but not greasy...and had a red bell pepper sauce on them..delicious. but how the heck they fried perfectly round balls of grits I do not know! (nor do I NEED to know, as I do my best to avoid fats. :) )

Roger I wondered about the NS bars myself. Interesting that they are not on the web site, yet have the NS name. Glad you didn't have any!

Ok, off to the shower

Later...
  • RogerToo
    edited October 2016
    Hi
    It is 52 degrees this morning and sunny, we did have a light rain overnight, not enough to get the ground wet under the trees:) I went walking today for 9,030 steps. The forecast high for today is in the 60s.
    NEWS from Friday
    Human bones found in Wis. haunted house

http://abc7chicago.com/news/human-bones-found-in-wis-haunted-house/1566569/
    Friday, October 21, 2016 11:59AM
    GREEN BAY, Wis. --
    Haunted houses are supposed to be scary.

But, something truly unsettling was found at one in Wisconsin, WFRV-TV reports.

"This right here is where you enter into the hallway and Catacombs room," said Miranda Schutt, social media coordinator. "And then we have the full skeleton here. Upon closer look we realized those are not fake bones."

Two real human skeletons joined Halloween goers as they walked through a room lined with fake skulls.

"When we pulled the caskets out of storage that's when we realized there were skeletons in there," Schutt said.

The two 19th century coffins were donated years ago.

"We don't really know the era of the casket. We are guessing it's maybe from the 1900s, but we do know," one worker said.

And until this season, the caskets had been tucked away in the haunted house storage. That was until this year's remodel of the main haunt near Green Bay prompted Terror on the Fox staff to open up the vintage caskets for the first time.

"They are definitely medical skeletons, I mean, one skeleton is totally intact," Schutt said.

I have been adding a little treat to my daily foods since I am now working at maintenance. Yesterday I had a Extra Black Plum at lunch and mid afternoon I had a snack bag of Lays Potato Chips, 160 calories 170mg sodium and 15g carbs. I had been having a bit of a craving for something salty so those hit the spot.

Have a Great Monday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good Morning!
    Having a cup of decaf...yuck. Need to find a better alternative. Or, I may just get used to it.

Great Dinner Ed! Did you enjoy the Kabocha squash? It was a pretty color.

I guess summer has truly gone...calendar says its time. Could use some rain, still. Hasn't rained in weeks, unless it happened while I was gone last week. Lake lowest its been in 4-5 years they said on the news last night. This is not good.

Chiro today, and then I'm picking up cake for my birthday boy! The 'boy' will be 47 tomorrow. Good Grief how did that happen??? :) Will have a nice lunch, and then the Mom will head home before traffic comes to a creep and crawl.

I had some pretty good food while at the beach...all from the 'sides' portion of the menu. One place had squash casserole, and I decided I'd eat and enjoy even though it probably had stuff in it that I prefer not to eat. Well....best I could tell it was just yellow crookneck that was devoid of liquid, with some seasonings like onion, probably a bit of salt, and some black pepper. It was delicious.
    And Ed....figure this out... there was Grits Fritters on the menu at another place, and I decided to try them, grits not being my fav. food. These were not disk shaped, but round as a golf ball, definitely deep fried, but not greasy...and had a red bell pepper sauce on them..delicious. but how the heck they fried perfectly round balls of grits I do not know! (nor do I NEED to know, as I do my best to avoid fats. :) )

Roger I wondered about the NS bars myself. Interesting that they are not on the web site, yet have the NS name. Glad you didn't have any!

Ok, off to the shower

Later...

Hi Valerie
    I do use Decaf some days and I have a Decaf/regular coffee blend I can brew too. Maybe if You use something like that? If You blend the two together yourself I bet You could dial in a flavor You would like?

I hope the Chiro visit goes well and is helpful. Enjoy the Birthday and I hope You find the perfect cake :)

I ran across this in a a different message thread recently
    The muffins for the grits contest had the cheese baked into the muffins as well as the sausage. I just used regular Jimmy Dean sausage in the tube, cooked it up, let it cool, and crumbled it in the batter. The recipe called for much the same as a regular flour muffin, it just used grits instead.

Maybe You would like some Grits Muffins :)

I found it strange that Amazon had more Nutricrush flavors than the Customer website :(
    I was happy I did not have any of the suspect packages too. I need to use these Nutricrush bars however since I bought them, TBH not my favorite item either.

Enjoy Your Busy Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy again y'all.

Tonight’s meatless Monday dinner (OK, I had leftover roast beef as an open faced hot roast beef sandwich for LUNCH, but dinner was meatless…): Shakshuka over spaghetti. We did add some grated Parmesan/Romano as a topping. Putting shakshuka over spaghetti REALLY works well! It was delicious!

Wine of choice: Albero, Monastrell, organic, 2015. Paired very nicely with the shakshuka.

For those who didn’t nab it the last time I made shakshuka, a recipe for it can be found HERE: https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2010/07/summer-2010-travel-blog-shakshuka/

• parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! High today predicted to be 76, with 0% chance of rain.

Off to the rat mines!

• RogerToo
    Hi
    It is 46 degrees this morning and sunny, with a hard freeze forecast for parts of NJ Tonight. I walked today for 8,696 steps. The forecast high for today is in the 50s :(

Today's news info :)
    More Information and Pictures by following the link below.
    The ship that saved 7 during 'Perfect Storm' to be sunk off N.J.
    https://www.navytimes.com/articles/the-ship-that-saved-7-during-perfect-storm-to-be-sunk-off-nj
    The USS Zuni survived the submarine-infested waters of the Pacific during World War II as it towed torpedoed warships to safety and aided in the Battle of Iwo Jima.

A half-century later and renamed the Tamaroa, it overcame gale force winds and 40-foot waves to help save seven people off the New England coast, a rescue effort immortalized in the book and film “The Perfect Storm.”

But the Tamaroa could not conquer time.

This ship that has made so much history will soon be sunk off the southern coast of New Jersey to help expand an artificial reef that attracts both scuba divers and anglers. A decade long effort to turn the ship into a museum and memorial was derailed when the Tamaroa’s hull sprung a leak four years ago, causing significant damage to key parts of the ship.

The man who commanded the ship during the 1991 “Perfect Storm” said sinking the Tamaroa is a better outcome than being demolished for scrap metal, a common ending for old service ships.

“It’s always sad when you sink a ship, but some good will come of it,” retired Coast Guard Capt. Larry Brudnicki said. “It’s being repurposed. It’s being used. If it’s cut up, who’s going to know that their razor blade came from the Tamaroa?”

New Jersey and Delaware officials say the 205-foot ship will help expand their joint deepwater reef 25 miles south of Cape May Point by attracting large game fish and aiding the Garden State’s $1.7 billion recreational fishing industry.

Have a Great Tuesday
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Good Morning!
    List is short today...last load of laundry, trip to Costco for gasoline and Scripts, a seminar tonite at 8:30. Other things, sure...want to make a pot of lentils, and some hand dishwashing to do...
    I may bag up some Disney movies for the littles in the cul-de-sac. :) No need to keep them here.

Later...