Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,232 Member
    Work did give me a very nice retirement lunch. I had hoped to just quietly slide out the door but kinda figured that wasn't going to happen. They bought 20 medium pizzas, 4 pasta bakes and a tray of wings from Domino's, brought up some big bowls of salad from the deli, with some soft drinks and a bag of ice, and invited all the associates who could get away. The new fuel lead was able to come and get some, and he took some to the young lady who was out at the fuel center too, so for a change the fuel center wasn't left out in the cold!

They also gave me a basket of goodies, mostly more sugary than I'd prefer but J might eat those. There is one enormous cookie that is 16 grams of protein per serving (and I think it's two servings) and I've eaten that before and it's pretty good actually. That one is MINE, MINE, MINE! I'll have a few of the Red, White and Blue Terra chips, and there are a couple more protein bars, and I already ate the small bag of cheddar nut thins, made from almond and rice flour. That was my "up from nap" snack.

Now I'm drinking some wine and waiting for J to do whatever he's doing outside. He wanted to get some work done out there before it got too dark, so I can wait a bit before assembling tonight's melt your face nachos.

• parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday! High today supposed to be 85 with 0% chance of rain.

We have a Halloween barbecue to attend tonight, so I guess I'll be making baked beans for it.

Lilo was letting me sleep but I just couldn't get past 5:00 this morning. By that time she was ready for her breakfast anyway.

Off to the kitchen for mine!

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi
    It is showing 40 degrees this morning, I walked today for 9,666 steps. The forecast high for today is in the 60s.
    f16pql.gif

RlOK1Z.gif
    About how I feel when I look at the news as I reach for the Mute or skip button on the remote
    Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    wQzQS3.png

XBfX9A.jpg

z5dSoN.png

jc1FwQ.gif

VjTKCl.png
    So True
  • RogerToo
    Work did give me a very nice retirement lunch. I had hoped to just quietly slide out the door but kinda figured that wasn't going to happen. They bought 20 medium pizzas, 4 pasta bakes and a tray of wings from Domino's, brought up some big bowls of salad from the deli, with some soft drinks and a bag of ice, and invited all the associates who could get away. The new fuel lead was able to come and get some, and he took some to the young lady who was out at the fuel center too, so for a change the fuel center wasn't left out in the cold!

They also gave me a basket of goodies, mostly more sugary than I'd prefer but J might eat those. There is one enormous cookie that is 16 grams of protein per serving (and I think it's two servings) and I've eaten that before and it's pretty good actually. That one is MINE, MINE, MINE! I'll have a few of the Red, White and Blue Terra chips, and there are a couple more protein bars, and I already ate the small bag of cheddar nut thins, made from almond and rice flour. That was my "up from nap" snack.

Now I'm drinking some wine and waiting for J to do whatever he's doing outside. He wanted to get some work done out there before it got too dark, so I can wait a bit before assembling tonight's melt your face nachos.
    Hi Ed
    Congratulations on Joining the retired :)
    That was nice of them t do that, They must have really appreciated You.
    That is a interesting cookie, is it a brand name available other places?
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday! High today supposed to be 85 with 0% chance of rain.

We have a Halloween barbecue to attend tonight, so I guess I'll be making baked beans for it.

Lilo was letting me sleep but I just couldn't get past 5:00 this morning. By that time she was ready for her breakfast anyway.

Off to the kitchen for mine!
    I had that problem with rising at the usual time from when I was working, however it eventually passed.

Enjoy the BBQ
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi Valerie
    Here are some funnies to give both of You a chuckle.
    Great moving image of the delivery FWIW.

Enjoy the day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good Morning!
    This would be a perfect fall day...if it wasn't so very dry.
    Slept in this morning....just now eating my breakfast. (Tom E was fed over an hour ago and has come back for seconds)
    Need to blow some leaves today...and you can't even tell the trees have lost any.

Hockey tomorrow, so I have the whole day to get my list checked off. :)

Cute cartoons again Roger...truck unload was a good one, as was 'Shoe'.

Later...

• parityanimal
    Here's the web site for the cookie bakery. I seem to remember eating one of these before and liking it OK. I'm sure they must be available at places other than Kroger. The one I have says 16 grams protein per serving but that may be if one eats the whole big cookie at once. Some of the "single serving" ones on the web site say 8 grams.

They gave me a chocolate chip one in my retirement basket. I haven't opened it yet.

https://www.lennylarry.com/?pid=GOOGLE&cid=BRANDC1&gclid=Cj0KEQjwkdHABRCHiZ2gs6yGh50BEiQAA91Wlj0HG2yAHTVZHoMnhjFiELWuIjwxeoJ68KXMCKJbQh0aAol28P8HAQ
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. Loved the funnies! It's superlative Sunday! Technically, I'm on VACATION this week and retired next week, but either way I'll TAKE it!

Lilo has been fed and I'm still simmering the last pork cube steaks on the stove in a cream of mushroom sauce. I'll finish off that kabocha squash with some of the pork for breakfast.

Meanwhile I think I must share this consumer warning with you all! It's very important!

http://cheezburger.com/83168257/funny-fail-video-news-anchors-reads-wrong-word-on-teleoprompter
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    It is showing 60 degrees this morning quite a bit warmer than yesterday for the same time, I walked today for 8,871 steps. The forecast high for today is in the 60s. No sunshine yet either.

Yesterday while walking I had a Deer running around on the street ahead of me for part of my walk. It would run ahead, freeze in place until I got to close and run again :) Then a little further on I saw the Blue Heron standing motionless in the brook waiting for it's breakfast to swim past.

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good Morning!
    This would be a perfect fall day...if it wasn't so very dry.
    Slept in this morning....just now eating my breakfast. (Tom E was fed over an hour ago and has come back for seconds)
    Need to blow some leaves today...and you can't even tell the trees have lost any.

Hockey tomorrow, so I have the whole day to get my list checked off. :)

Cute cartoons again Roger...truck unload was a good one, as was 'Shoe'.

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    My Brother is muttering about raking the lawn for the second time, today most likely.

Enjoy the Hockey Game
    Glad You liked the Cartoons
    Roger
    Here's the web site for the cookie bakery. I seem to remember eating one of these before and liking it OK. I'm sure they must be available at places other than Kroger. The one I have says 16 grams protein per serving but that may be if one eats the whole big cookie at once. Some of the "single serving" ones on the web site say 8 grams.

They gave me a chocolate chip one in my retirement basket. I haven't opened it yet.

https://www.lennylarry.com/?pid=GOOGLE&cid=BRANDC1&gclid=Cj0KEQjwkdHABRCHiZ2gs6yGh50BEiQAA91Wlj0HG2yAHTVZHoMnhjFiELWuIjwxeoJ68KXMCKJbQh0aAol28P8HAQ

Hi Ed
    Thank You for the Link and Think You are right it looks like the single serve are 8 grams and the entire large cookie is 16 grams still not bad however.

Enjoy that cookie.
    Howdy y'all. Loved the funnies! It's superlative Sunday! Technically, I'm on VACATION this week and retired next week, but either way I'll TAKE it!

Lilo has been fed and I'm still simmering the last pork cube steaks on the stove in a cream of mushroom sauce. I'll finish off that kabocha squash with some of the pork for breakfast.

Meanwhile I think I must share this consumer warning with you all! It's very important!

http://cheezburger.com/83168257/funny-fail-video-news-anchors-reads-wrong-word-on-teleoprompter
    Hi Again
    That clip was hilarious, what a difference one missing letter can make. That is what You get for depending on spell check :)

Nothing wrong with getting paid to sit home.

Enjoy the paid vacation week off
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday! Happy Halloween! High predicted of 85 today with 0% chance of rain. Any kids trick or treating should have a nice evening of it. We've only had one doorbell ring ever, to my recollection, at this house, even though the outdoor lights were OFF and there was nothing to indicate we would be participating. We politely told the teenagers that we didn't participate.

Frankly, we were surprised they bothered to climb the somewhat steep driveway to a dark house. They were too old, in my opinion, to be trick or treating anyway, unless accompanying a small child, which they were NOT. But they just shrugged at the non-participation and moved on.

Fortunately there is a fairly large condominium complex just across the road, with a nice "barrier" of trees and shrubs to separate them from the street and make them less ... obvious. I expect they had their fair share of trick or treaters as any area with a lot of closely spaced homes is generally a good target.

I managed to stay in bed until a little bit after 6:00 this morning. I did wake a couple of times earlier but was able to roll over and go back to sleep.

Got up and made Lilo's breakfast and then made myself some cottage pie for breakfast (and, of course, dinner or lunch too) which washed down my morning vitamins and medicine quite nicely, though ground round isn't the tastiest of meats for it. It worked well enough. Normally I'd use lean ground round for something a bit spicier, like chili or spaghetti, but I just felt in the mood for cottage pie this morning.

And now, to enjoy the rest of my first day of freedom in several years! I may go to the farmers market in a while, once morning rush is off the streets.

• GardenKatGardens
    Good Morning! Happy BOO! Day!
    Time to hand out sugar poison to the little ones. (sugar being as addictive as heroin or any of the other drugs) Yes, I bought a small bag, just in case a little goblin comes by.
    Makes me think of my last conversation with O. They gave the little gym rats a choice of candy pieces after their workouts, and then O got her quarter for the candy bucket as usual, she bade me good bye by saying Grammie have a great Halloween, and eat lots and lots of candy...at that point my DS1 intervened and to her that Grammie was allergic to sugar...out of the mouth of an 'unfiltered' 12 year old..."Grammie, it sucks to be you" I need to explain to her that my life does not suck! And that I'm sensitive to sugar, not allergic like a peanut allergy. :)
    Need to make a grocery run today. I've run out of 'greens'...so there will be a quick run to Publix/Kroger for some baby spinach, and a bit of arugula, and a bag of chopped salad from Kroger (Dole makes the one I like, and Publix does not carry it.)
    Time now to start a load of Monday Laundry, and hand wash my skillets and wooden implements of destruction. LOL! Halloween today, and in the blink of an eye, we'll be hunting down our copy of Alice's Restaurant for Thanksgiving!

Sun's coming up...soon to warm up...predicted high today is something like 86 degrees! Really crazy, and I looked at the Weather Channels longer term predictions, no rain in sight for about 10 days. I may just take this time slot and paint my front porch! Temp and rain forecast are ripe for that!

Later...
  • RogerToo
    edited October 2016
    Hi
    It is showing 48 degrees this morning somewhat cooler than yesterday's 60 degrees for the same time, I walked today for 7.7K steps. The forecast high for today is 56. We had Thunderstorms roll through Yesterday twice with a short break in-between and short lived heavy rain and some wind.

Yesterday when I returned from walking I browsed through the Garden area and picked a few small Raspberries, There may be a few more that will ripen as they are almost there. I also picked the last of the Green Beans. The rest of the garden is done and the leaves on the Fig Trees are curling from the previous frost.

soa7jx2buurg.gif

Have a Great Halloween
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday! Happy Halloween! High predicted of 85 today with 0% chance of rain. Any kids trick or treating should have a nice evening of it. We've only had one doorbell ring ever, to my recollection, at this house, even though the outdoor lights were OFF and there was nothing to indicate we would be participating. We politely told the teenagers that we didn't participate.

Frankly, we were surprised they bothered to climb the somewhat steep driveway to a dark house. They were too old, in my opinion, to be trick or treating anyway, unless accompanying a small child, which they were NOT. But they just shrugged at the non-participation and moved on.

Fortunately there is a fairly large condominium complex just across the road, with a nice "barrier" of trees and shrubs to separate them from the street and make them less ... obvious. I expect they had their fair share of trick or treaters as any area with a lot of closely spaced homes is generally a good target.

I managed to stay in bed until a little bit after 6:00 this morning. I did wake a couple of times earlier but was able to roll over and go back to sleep.

Got up and made Lilo's breakfast and then made myself some cottage pie for breakfast (and, of course, dinner or lunch too) which washed down my morning vitamins and medicine quite nicely, though ground round isn't the tastiest of meats for it. It worked well enough. Normally I'd use lean ground round for something a bit spicier, like chili or spaghetti, but I just felt in the mood for cottage pie this morning.

And now, to enjoy the rest of my first day of freedom in several years! I may go to the farmers market in a while, once morning rush is off the streets.
    Hi Ed
    We do participate in the earlier part of the day when the Smaller children are out and then when they are done off go the lights and we are done. Once again we will be handing out 50 cent pieces which eliminates and left over candy that would be eaten :)

I suspect that the costumes will be covered by jackets this year as 56 degrees is a bit chilly.

Cottage Pie is Shepherd's Pie?

Freedom, Whee!

Congratulations on being able to roll over and get back to sleep
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good Morning! Happy BOO! Day!
    Time to hand out sugar poison to the little ones. (sugar being as addictive as heroin or any of the other drugs) Yes, I bought a small bag, just in case a little goblin comes by.
    Makes me think of my last conversation with O. They gave the little gym rats a choice of candy pieces after their workouts, and then O got her quarter for the candy bucket as usual, she bade me good bye by saying Grammie have a great Halloween, and eat lots and lots of candy...at that point my DS1 intervened and to her that Grammie was allergic to sugar...out of the mouth of an 'unfiltered' 12 year old..."Grammie, it sucks to be you" I need to explain to her that my life does not suck! And that I'm sensitive to sugar, not allergic like a peanut allergy. :)
    Need to make a grocery run today. I've run out of 'greens'...so there will be a quick run to Publix/Kroger for some baby spinach, and a bit of arugula, and a bag of chopped salad from Kroger (Dole makes the one I like, and Publix does not carry it.)
    Time now to start a load of Monday Laundry, and hand wash my skillets and wooden implements of destruction. LOL! Halloween today, and in the blink of an eye, we'll be hunting down our copy of Alice's Restaurant for Thanksgiving!

Sun's coming up...soon to warm up...predicted high today is something like 86 degrees! Really crazy, and I looked at the Weather Channels longer term predictions, no rain in sight for about 10 days. I may just take this time slot and paint my front porch! Temp and rain forecast are ripe for that!

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    We just use 50 cent coins. That way no temptation or waste as they do not have a use by date on them :)

I agree there is a difference between sensitive and allergic.

Just curious is Publix cheaper than Kroger?

Alice's Restaurant, I had not thought about that :) When I think about Halloween movies I think of movies like Hocus Pocus or Halloween the Horror movie.

Hopefully the Dry conditions get better soon
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    No Roger, Kroger is cheaper than Publix, but Publix is closer. Some things I like are not carried at Kroger, and vise versa! Makes for interesting Wednesdays, when both offer 5% off for the old peeps....

Alice's Restaurant is for Thanksgiving! :) Something was said that made me think of it.

I do have a small bag of Snickers or some such 'bite sized' bars....any leftovers will go to the gym...the staff there will eat ANYTHING!

Oh, did I tell you...my Costco had Ambrosia apples last week. They are really good again this year.

I had soup for breakfast. Some very large white beans that I froze a year ago, thawed with the sauce it was in, and added spinach and swiss chard that I'd sautéed with onion and garlic. Tasty, and warmed me up. Lunch is going to look like a baked russet potato, with Wild Mushroom gravy, and a big salad. Dinner will be oatmeal! I think I'm going to actually roast the potato in the oven...I'm still chilly. Afraid to look outside, cuz it will be depressing to see all the leaves that have dropped thru the night. I think after yesterday's huge mess, I will be doing the leaf blowing every 3 days. So, Wednesday, Saturday,and next Tuesday...predicted rain on Wednesday! That should work out well. I just keep telling myself how much I love my trees all summer long......otherwise they'd be firewood!

Ok, off to a grocery....... most likely Publix? close by counts some days....

Enjoy your little's tonite. Several years ago, when I was still having 20 or more kids, I'd take their pictures with my phone camera. The kids LOVED it.

• RogerToo
    Hi Valerie
    Thank You for that information. I wonder why it is always Wednesdays, Possibly the slowest day of the week?
    It would be nice if they both carried everything You like...

I may need to run out to CostCo, Just for fruit, lately the locally available fruit is just not been that great. I like the Bubble packs that the Apples come in, I never have bruised that way, Knock Wood :)

My brother has put off raking the leaves since it is windy today. In the past when It was my job only, I looked at them as natures insulation for the ground :)

Maybe I'll just Microwave or Bake a Sweet Potato since we had a bumper crop of them instead of a fruit with my Lunch, Dinner or both. OTOH I like them with butter melted into them so... Decisions, Decisions.

I hope this year is better than last year, I talked to someone in another par of town while walking and she commented she had less kids last year than the year before too.

Have fun Shopping
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Cottage pie is NOT shepherds pie. Cottage pie is made with beef. Shepherds pie is made with lamb. Many recipes for cottage pie call for sprinkling a little shredded cheese on top of the potatoes, and in fact, I do that. I haven't actually SEEN any recipe for shepherds pie that calls for the sprinkle of cheese, but I suppose someone, somewhere has probably done that.

Aside from the different meat, the dishes are pretty much the same, but if you call a cottage pie a shepherds pie, or vice versa, purists will eye you warily and back slowly away...

• GardenKatGardens
    Well, learned something today! Thanks Ed. To be honest, I'd never heard of 'cottage pie', and now I know a good bit about it! Don't see either pie in my immediate future though:)

Leaves may be insulation for the ground Roger, they can also suffocate grass..unless its the kind like Bermuda, which is pretty much dead when the top browns...OTOH, chopped up leaves, like those run thru a mulcher, can be some degree of fertilizer. If your ground is not frozen, and your lawn mower mulches, or has a bagger, or you have a leaf blower like mine that also mulches, you 'could' dig the chopped up leaves into the garden soil...it would kinda be like pre-humus :) They will pretty much break down over winter, and will enrich the soils tilth. 'fluffier soil' if you want to look at it that way...will also hold moisture better, etc.

Oh, and try just sprinkling a bit of cinnamon and sugar (or artificial sweetener, or Stevia) on your sweet potato. Also, I like to scrub mine poke a few holes in it, and wrap it in waxed paper before nuking it. They seem to be more moist inside in my opinion. For really moist sweet potato, you can boil them, or use a pressure cooker. But, since you said you'd nuke them, just be sure to wrap them up and I think you'll like them (yes, even without butter) :)