Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Cottage pie is NOT shepherds pie. Cottage pie is made with beef. Shepherds pie is made with lamb. Many recipes for cottage pie call for sprinkling a little shredded cheese on top of the potatoes, and in fact, I do that. I haven't actually SEEN any recipe for shepherds pie that calls for the sprinkle of cheese, but I suppose someone, somewhere has probably done that.

Aside from the different meat, the dishes are pretty much the same, but if you call a cottage pie a shepherds pie, or vice versa, purists will eye you warily and back slowly away...
    Hi Ed
    I can see where that would happen, I tend to think that words have precise meaning myself TBH :)

Thank You for the Clarification
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Well, learned something today! Thanks Ed. To be honest, I'd never heard of 'cottage pie', and now I know a good bit about it! Don't see either pie in my immediate future though:)

Leaves may be insulation for the ground Roger, they can also suffocate grass..unless its the kind like Bermuda, which is pretty much dead when the top browns...OTOH, chopped up leaves, like those run thru a mulcher, can be some degree of fertilizer. If your ground is not frozen, and your lawn mower mulches, or has a bagger, or you have a leaf blower like mine that also mulches, you 'could' dig the chopped up leaves into the garden soil...it would kinda be like pre-humus :) They will pretty much break down over winter, and will enrich the soils tilth. 'fluffier soil' if you want to look at it that way...will also hold moisture better, etc.

Oh, and try just sprinkling a bit of cinnamon and sugar (or artificial sweetener, or Stevia) on your sweet potato. Also, I like to scrub mine poke a few holes in it, and wrap it in waxed paper before nuking it. They seem to be more moist inside in my opinion. For really moist sweet potato, you can boil them, or use a pressure cooker. But, since you said you'd nuke them, just be sure to wrap them up and I think you'll like them (yes, even without butter) :)
    Hi Valerie

My brother has been bagging leaves to use around the Fig Trees for the winter and then leftovers will get tilled into the garden soil, no sense giving them to the town to recycle. That is just giving away the soils nutrients as I see it.

I Nuked a sweet potato tonight to go with dinner, I did forget to poke it, however it did not explode and was fine plain. I do have some Truvia Sweetener from CostCo that I use on my cereal, I had not thought about using it on a sweet potato to make a ersatz candied Yam version :) I just used the preset Potato button on the Microwave.

I used to have a recipe somewhere, in fact I may still have it that used Vegetarian protein. Found it.
    From a user submitted section on the old NS forums
    Shepards Pie

I made Shepard's Pie today for lunch with the Cheesy Potatoes,

2/3 c. Morning Star Farms Soy crumbles
    1 strip soy bacon
    1-2 c. frozen Veggies- I used frozen broccoli
    1/4.c FF shredded cheddar cheese (Use Vegetarian substitute)
    Cheesy potatoes- made according to directions.

Cut bacon into pieces, and place in a small fry pan sprayed with pam. Add soy crumbles, and seasoning if you'd like. I used dehyrated onions, some seasoned salt, and tastefuly simple Spinach and herb seasoning. Cook until soy crumbles are thawed and slighlty golden brown.

Place mixture in a small oven safe dish. Put 1/2 of the cheese on top of the mixture, put potatoes on top, and sprinkle remaining cheese. Cook at 350 for 10-15 minutes.

2 Proteins( i took one from a snack)
    1 veggie
    1 Lunch Entree

Makes alot and is very filling.

Thank You for the help with the sweet potatoes, we always Baked them at Thanksgiving through New Years dinners, however it seems wasteful to use the electric oven for a solitary potato :)

Have a nice night
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,232 Member
    Well, I suppose one could call the pie made with soy crumbles cottage pie...sort of. But I wouldn't call it shepherds pie. It does sound pretty tasty.
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good Morning! Tuesday...one more week of this political dog and pony show, and then for better or worse it will be done! ARGHHHHH. This has been a nasty one.
    Internet caught me, and has held me captive for well over an hour now...Not good! (although I did find a new dressing recipe that I have to try...a green dressing with tahini and parsley and spinach leaves...and my VitaMix!) When I found it thru my emails this morning, it was featured in a breakfast bowl, and I'm either unusually hungry (which I haven't really noticed) or it was visually appealing? (greens can be interchanged to use cilantro, or different herbs, etc.) It is far from fat free, but still looks good.
    I'm not a fan of 'crumbles'....as they are usually soy isolates, or involve egg...especially Morning Star...though I do on rare occasion use some of their products, I'm trying to limit them. It would be the bacon and cheese that gave me most pause! I've yet to find a 'fake' cheese that either doesn't have either casein or that tastes good. There are vegan recipe's for Shepard's Pie out there, I just haven't personally made one .... yet!

The sun looks pretty this morning coming thru the remaining leaves on my little 'forest'. I don't want to think about what my front yard must look like....that's tomorrow's chore! :)
    Roger good on you and your brother for the great uses of fallen leaves! I have been known in the past to actually beg? oak leaves from lawn people or neighbors in the fall, and grass clippings in the summer!! I could always put them to good use, and like you, didn't think they'd be noticed as missing at the county compost efforts. (to my knowledge Gwinnett Co. does NOT compost yard waste...but Dekalb Co. has a fantastic program, and they don't check license plates for counties very carefully....meaning, they love giving the stuff away!) Another perk of taking that Master Gardener class.....resources!!!

I think by now the raccoons should be holed up where ever it is they are supposed to sleep for the day...so I'd best be feeding Tom E. !!! And then me!

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    It is showing 38 degrees this morning 10 degrees cooler than yesterday's 48 degrees for the same time, I walked today for 8.8K steps. The forecast high for today is around 61. Tomorrows high is predicted to be 71 and Thursdays for 73 degrees.

We gave out 50cent coins AKA Kennedy 1/2 dollars. We went through 59 dollars of them. We ended up with 118 Trick or Treaters before we closed up for the night. All were in nice costumes too. FWIW we give out money for three reasons, leftovers never spoil :), No temptation to overeat with them, and carrying on Moms tradition of doing it, we just adjusted up the amount from a quarter to a half dollar.
    Now it is time to de-decorate from Halloween and look for the Thanksgiving window decoration

Have a Great Tuesday
    Roger

Hi Ed
    I believe that is why I saved the recipe. I saved a lot of the Dietician recipes and user posted recipes from the old NS forums before the shutdown.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! I meant to post this morning but got distracted by the internet. Hey, look! A squirrel!

• parityanimal
    Dinner tonight was MOM'S MEATLOAF! OK, I made it but it was MOM'S MEATLOAF! And it makes a lot so I'll be eating meatloaf for several days now. Tonight I had it with a small serving of mashed potatoes, and some lightly buttered calabaza. Tomorrow, perhaps a meatloaf sandwich for breakfast? Who knows? The possibilities are endless...

• parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! High of 80 predicted for today with 10% chance of rain.

Meatloaf sandwich for breakfast! Yay!

Expecting a couple of packages today so have to kind of hang at home...

• RogerToo
    Hi
    It was showing 52 degrees this morning quite a bit warmer than yesterday for the same time, I walked today for 9k steps. The forecast high for today is 70.

I need to remove the Halloween decorations today :)

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger

Hi Ed
    I love a Good Meatloaf, fresh from the oven or in a sandwich as Long it was not standing in the grease from cooking :)

You are having nice weather IMO.

Cheers
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! High today is predicted to be 82 with 10% chance of rain.

Breakfast this morning was a Lenny & Larry's pumpkin muscle muffin. I was quite impressed with the flavor and texture. I warmed it briefly (very briefly) in the microwave. For flavor and texture, I'd say I thought it was BETTER than any of the muffins I got in the past from NS.

The only problem is that the package is one muffin. The serving size is supposedly 1/2 a muffin. Now I know why companies do this, to get their "serving size" calories, carbs, fat, etc., into certain ranges that are considered best. But really, who eats half a relatively small muffin (bigger than NS muffins I think, but still not HUGE like the Otis Spunkmeyer ones) and what are you supposed to do with the other half? It won't stay all that fresh, once cut, even if you re-wrap it in plastic. I suppose if you save it for mid-morning snack or something it might be all right.

At any rate, my breakfast was pretty much the muffin. I just considered it to have my "extra" protein built in, along with my fruit and carbs and all. Stats then were actually reasonably comparable to NS suggestions for an adult male diabetic breakfast, with all the add ons. Maybe just a hair high on the total carbs/sugar carbs but not bad at all. And it was a tasty, and easy breakfast.

Stats can be seen here. Use the pulldown to change the serving size from 2 oz to "1 container - 4 oz" to see the stats for the whole muffin.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/lenny-larrys-muscle-muffin-pumpkin-209082544
  • GardenKatGardens
    Good Thursday Morning!
    Sun shining thru the dwindling leaves in the 'forest' behind my house...looks pretty..is only 66 degrees. Think I'll get dressed and go blow leaves...then as it warms, I will get the front porch ready to paint. Bought the paint yesterday...porch paint only came in gallon buckets, so I probably have a 6-8 year reserve!!! I really don't care...just thought I'd take advantage of this very long dry spell.

Tom E. and I have both finished our breakfasts, and I've done my morning plank exercise. A group of us 'girls' doing a 'Planksgiving Challenge'...started at 20 seconds, and working our way to 3 minutes by Thanksgiving. I am doing it, and reporting it, but also sorta to myself grinning. They all measured their waists to see inches changes...one thinks she's on her way to 6pack abs! OMG...Don't want to break their bubbles...so just sitting back and watching...

I've been feeding small moths and little bugs that I find under the porch light to my 'window spider, Mike'...Over the weekend I brought him a really big moth...and it just appeared to be ignored, and sat there.....well, Mike is a tricky spider...he's been slowly, daily, removing the soft body of the moth, and the way the moth is situated I really couldn't see it happening...then he started nibbling away at the wings (that I noticed)....and last night some time he pulled it closer to his 'web tunnel'...busy little guy he is!!! So we can add Mike to the already fed at my house

Still a little breezy to blow the leaves. But that has to happen before the porch paint. There will be some leaves fall on the wet paint, but that will just add 'character' to the job....yep, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

TIme to get dressed and also do a bit of kitchen kp... today's breakfast was ...
    Spinach, beet greens, and chard sautéed in broth with chopped onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Added turmeric and black pepper at the end, also some leftover fat free wild mushroom gravy I had left over from a baked potato earlier in the week. And half a sweet potato...(about 5 oz. after nuking and peeling) That should hold me til afternoon. Oh, the greens also had about ⅔ c. left over mixed beans, and several strips of smoked tempeh...So I've had LOTS of protein to start this day!

I forgot yesterday to ask Ed if he felt like he was forgetting to do something....it was his first missed day for Tagging!!!! :)

Later...
  • RogerToo
    edited November 2016
    Hi
    It was showing 57 degrees this morning a bit warmer than yesterday for the same time, I walked today for 13.9k steps. The forecast high for today is in the 70s. The steps are high as I went back out to go to the bank that opens at 9AM :)

I picked a handful of Raspberries this morning after my walk. It seems that the frost has not hurt them that way sop far. They are the only thing left growing in the garden now.

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! High today is predicted to be 82 with 10% chance of rain.

Breakfast this morning was a Lenny & Larry's pumpkin muscle muffin. I was quite impressed with the flavor and texture. I warmed it briefly (very briefly) in the microwave. For flavor and texture, I'd say I thought it was BETTER than any of the muffins I got in the past from NS.

The only problem is that the package is one muffin. The serving size is supposedly 1/2 a muffin. Now I know why companies do this, to get their "serving size" calories, carbs, fat, etc., into certain ranges that are considered best. But really, who eats half a relatively small muffin (bigger than NS muffins I think, but still not HUGE like the Otis Spunkmeyer ones) and what are you supposed to do with the other half? It won't stay all that fresh, once cut, even if you re-wrap it in plastic. I suppose if you save it for mid-morning snack or something it might be all right.

At any rate, my breakfast was pretty much the muffin. I just considered it to have my "extra" protein built in, along with my fruit and carbs and all. Stats then were actually reasonably comparable to NS suggestions for an adult male diabetic breakfast, with all the add ons. Maybe just a hair high on the total carbs/sugar carbs but not bad at all. And it was a tasty, and easy breakfast.

Stats can be seen here. Use the pulldown to change the serving size from 2 oz to "1 container - 4 oz" to see the stats for the whole muffin.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/lenny-larrys-muscle-muffin-pumpkin-209082544
    Hi Ed
    No Way could the average person or most people eat only 1/2 of anything. When I see that sort of thing I tend to steer clear. Their own website did not show nutrition information when I looked.... Hmm... Somewhat strange :)
    I looked at the Fatsecret website
    https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/lenny-and-larrys/muscle-muffin---blueberry
    https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/lenny-and-larrys/muscle-muffin---double-chocolate
    And Yup high enough to be the entire breakfast.

Thank You for that information
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Hi Ed
    No Way could the average person or most people eat only 1/2 of anything. When I see that sort of thing I tend to steer clear. Their own website did not show nutrition information when I looked.... Hmm... Somewhat strange :)
    I looked at the Fatsecret website
    https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/lenny-and-larrys/muscle-muffin---blueberry
    https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/lenny-and-larrys/muscle-muffin---double-chocolate
    And Yup high enough to be the entire breakfast.

Thank You for that information
    Roger

Now that I've tried the pumpkin muffin (hey, it's the season for that!) I may have to run by GNC and see if perhaps they have other flavors of muffin. The giant chocolate chip cookie had a slightly odd texture but tasted great. I bought some of the other flavors of cookie to try, and three of the brownies.

I'll keep y'all posted on the taste and texture of all of them.

So far; Chocolate Chip Cookie - Thumbs up! Pumpkin muffin - Thumbs up!

And they're VEGAN, though not gluten free...
  • RogerToo
    Good Thursday Morning!
    Sun shining thru the dwindling leaves in the 'forest' behind my house...looks pretty..is only 66 degrees. Think I'll get dressed and go blow leaves...then as it warms, I will get the front porch ready to paint. Bought the paint yesterday...porch paint only came in gallon buckets, so I probably have a 6-8 year reserve!!! I really don't care...just thought I'd take advantage of this very long dry spell.

Tom E. and I have both finished our breakfasts, and I've done my morning plank exercise. A group of us 'girls' doing a 'Planksgiving Challenge'...started at 20 seconds, and working our way to 3 minutes by Thanksgiving. I am doing it, and reporting it, but also sorta to myself grinning. They all measured their waists to see inches changes...one thinks she's on her way to 6pack abs! OMG...Don't want to break their bubbles...so just sitting back and watching...

I've been feeding small moths and little bugs that I find under the porch light to my 'window spider, Mike'...Over the weekend I brought him a really big moth...and it just appeared to be ignored, and sat there.....well, Mike is a tricky spider...he's been slowly, daily, removing the soft body of the moth, and the way the moth is situated I really couldn't see it happening...then he started nibbling away at the wings (that I noticed)....and last night some time he pulled it closer to his 'web tunnel'...busy little guy he is!!! So we can add Mike to the already fed at my house

Still a little breezy to blow the leaves. But that has to happen before the porch paint. There will be some leaves fall on the wet paint, but that will just add 'character' to the job....yep, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

TIme to get dressed and also do a bit of kitchen kp... today's breakfast was ...
    Spinach, beet greens, and chard sautéed in broth with chopped onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Added turmeric and black pepper at the end, also some leftover fat free wild mushroom gravy I had left over from a baked potato earlier in the week. And half a sweet potato...(about 5 oz. after nuking and peeling) That should hold me til afternoon. Oh, the greens also had about ⅔ c. left over mixed beans, and several strips of smoked tempeh...So I've had LOTS of protein to start this day!

I forgot yesterday to ask Ed if he felt like he was forgetting to do something....it was his first missed day for Tagging!!!! :)

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    I suspect that the Paint will dry out before you use it all if it will take that long.

I was optimistic when I started Dieting, I worked it out that if I could lose at this rate I'll be done before Thanksgiving :) Nope Two years as every week with the weight loss the loss rate slowed a little bit.
    I agree why burst their bubble, That could discourage them from what they will be losing.

BTW, Planksgiving?

That is one way to clean the dead bugs away :)

I have been Microwaving the Sweet Potatoes in the skin, slicing it and eating right out of the skin. Does that make me lazy?

Interesting question, in my case I adjusted really quickly to not working :)

Have a Nice Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Now that I've tried the pumpkin muffin (hey, it's the season for that!) I may have to run by GNC and see if perhaps they have other flavors of muffin. The giant chocolate chip cookie had a slightly odd texture but tasted great. I bought some of the other flavors of cookie to try, and three of the brownies.

I'll keep y'all posted on the taste and texture of all of them.

So far; Chocolate Chip Cookie - Thumbs up! Pumpkin muffin - Thumbs up!

And they're VEGAN, though not gluten free...
    Hi Ed
    I wonder where there is a GNC near me, Let me look. Well I looked and they all require a drive due to the distance.
    Their website shows they are available at 7-ELeven, I'll have to remember to look when I stop for coffee, However the local one is not the largest so I doubt it.

Glad You are enjoying them
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    They may be available at other places than those listed on the website. I know the chocolate chip cookie that was in my retirement basket came from Kroger, though I haven't been back there yet to see what else there may be. I'm trying to give "my" Kroger a bit of a rest. I did stop at another Kroger the other day, and bought a few things but forgot to check the "natural foods" section to see if they had other cookies, or muffins, or brownies. But I've got plenty for now so there's no hurry on looking for more until I've tried all the ones I have on hand. Definitely planning on eating more of the pumpkin muffins! And if I happen to see other flavors, I'll try them too. I figure if I make the muffin or cookie the WHOLE MEAL, they will work out OK. Obviously not something I want to do every day, but putting them into rotation should be fine.
  • RogerToo
    Hi Ed
    Based on the calorie count and the carbs in a entire muffin that sounds like a wise plan to me.

Good Luck with all the ones You bought
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    The peanut butter brownie (eaten as a snack/dessert) - VERY odd texture, and the flavor...acceptable but not really a winner. I have to give the peanut butter brownie a thumbs DOWN. Could just be that they didn't blend the peanut butter and chocolate flavors well, and I WOULD eat it again if given to me, but won't be buying it again.

That's probably all the ratings until the weekend, when I might try another cookie and possibly another brownie. I DO have some more pumpkin muffins, but will probably wait a few days before bringing that back into the rotation.
  • GardenKatGardens
    Good Friday Morning!
    We three, are currently immune to the allure of 'Friday aka TGIF' day! LOL!!! Its a great feeling!

I don't know why I'm up so early...4:15 just seemed to early, so snoozed til nearly 5 a.m....then I found a 'killer' word for my next Scrabble word...assuming the kid doesn' take one of 'my' spaces, of course. Anyhow, have plowed thru the early morning emails, enjoying my coffee. Sunrise this morning is 7:59 here in ATL. Wondering if tomorrow it will be at 8? And then of course we'll fall back, so Sunday we'll be back to a decent sunrise hour!

No rain, and none in the forecast. Extreme Drought Redux.

I almost don't want to see my yard this morning. It took forever yesterday to blow those leaves and get them pulled to the woods on a piece of blue plastic tarp. And the leaves were falling the whole while. Sorta like shoveling snow while in the midst of a snow storm. So, I think every 3 days is probably the schedule I need to be on...(yesterday was day 4 since last cleaning...it was too long to manage easily) Lesson learned...again.

Today I'm going to get the porch at least started. Yesterday I noticed there was a bit of 'green' growing .... algae ..so today it gets a scrub with some 10% bleach! Supposed to be a bit breezy today, so it should be dry by Saturday which seems to be the new date for painting, or possibly Kiltz ?sp? Sat. Paint Sunday??? Stay tuned.

You all are making me want to go looking for cookies and muffins!!! :) See how easily I can be led astray??? Sugar, I keep telling myself, sugar is my poison...along with wheat and oils.

Breakfast is leftovers from yesterday's breakfast and is already calling my name!

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. I see Val posted while I was eating my meatloaf sandwich with spicy brown mustard. And Lilo was watching every bite. I let her see the paper plate after to prove there was nothing there for her to eat.

Now back to my Batman marathon! I do need to get to the store for a few things but want to wait until after rush hour.