Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,227 Member
    Well, Eddie did get the dishes all caught up, but then Eduardo had to fix lunch for J, who was not expected to be home for lunch today but ended up working from home. So Eduardo, who had already made spicy home made reduced fat pork sausage, which J won't eat, ended up making some stir fry with carrot, bell pepper, broccoli, scrambled egg, noodles, and spicy jia jiang sauce for J's lunch. I had sausage and a low carb whole wheat pita for my lunch.

Meanwhile in Londinium, Batman's mind has just supposedly been blanked out by Lord Ffogg! OH NO!

• Leemom3
    Leemom3 Posts: 103 Member
    Good Morning All - and by "All," I am including Ed, Eduardo, and Eddie,

A cricket for breakfast is not on my menu, but Dr. Wang gets my vote for being a man of his word. I have heard that the critters are an excellent source of protein. I believe some undeveloped countries are looking to how they can be used as part of their diet since they may not have access to the same proteins we have in the US.

Val, I am with you about not slow cooking a frozen chicken. Maybe chicken breasts, but definitely not a whole one. As for your hip...I feel you pain...literally. I have been putting off a visit to the hip surgeon but have rescheduled for January. I know I am not "there" yet, but it does upset met that the one thing that stops the pain is...not exercising. I spent the summer with PT, a cortisone shot (never again...did nothing, and was uncomfortable to get), and the hip doctor (physiatrist) and getting an MRI. At just turning 56 (next week) and still with more good hip days than bad, I am not ready for surgery. But I know it probably is on the horizon...

Roger...where do you find those cartoons and other "funnies"? They do give a bright start to the day.

Ed, I recently listened to a book in which two of the characters were playing a game of all the "stars" who had guest roles on the original Batman, including Joan Collins and Milton Berle. I checked the list online (because if it's on the Internet, it is true...right?). It was quite a list!

Enjoy the day folks!
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday!

High predicted of 71 today with 0% chance of rain.

Just for fun, I researched recipes for preparing frozen chicken (via any means) and found a lot of ways of supposedly safely starting from a frozen whole chicken.

Now I could see, perhaps, doing one in a pressure cooker, or even a very hot oven, though after an hour or so I'd think you would want to bring the temperature down to a more reasonable roasting level.

Despite my friend's apparent success doing them in a slow cooker, I tend to agree with the rest of you that it doesn't sound like a good idea to me, but I did see sites listing ways of doing them in a slow cooker.

Now, that being said, I do cook fish filets, cut pieces of chicken, pork chops, hamburgers, etc, often, direct from the freezer, at least in the oven or on the stove top, but they are much thinner cuts of meat and will quickly warm up to a safe temperature. I haven't even put frozen pieces in a slow cooker, though I suppose if you start them on high and then bring it down after an hour or so it might be OK...and if there aren't too many pieces in there so that they all get hot fairly quickly.

Even though I truly believe that as a kid I watched ALL of the batman episodes, there have been a few that don't seem familiar to me, but to be fair, that WAS a long time ago. Of course in those days I wasn't aware, necessarily, of just who all those impressive guest villains and cameos seen while wall climbing were, but watching now it seems EVERYONE wanted to be a guest star on Batman! Ann Baxter even played two different guest villainesses. Riddler was played by two different actors, Mr. Freeze by three different actors, and Catwoman by two different actresses, three if you count the Batman movie, where Julie Newmar wasn't available and they cast Lee Meriwether as Catwoman. She had also played a minor role in a couple of episodes starring Victor Buono as King Tut.

Tallulah Bankhead even made her last listed (at least on IMDB) screen performance as Black Widow.

Back to the marathon! Not too much left, and admittedly the marathon has slowed down a bit but I will persevere!

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi
    It was showing 43 degrees this morning , I have walked 7,918 steps. The rain yesterday amounted to more than the forecast.

I checked to Raspberry Bushes and Yea, I found 8 ready to eat and a possibility of a few more. It seems that the frost we have had has not harmed them :)
    I also stopped and picked up some Bananas, $0.19 a pound, A hard to beat price and then 10% off of that :):)
    I am also still eating a few Cherry Tomatoes as they slowly ripen on the counter from the garden. We picked what was left before the hard freeze a little while ago.

I know from Observation and from the news that some NJ towns have painted a Blue line down the middle of the road. Anywhere else?
    http://www.pennlive.com/news/2016/10/thin_blue_line_road_pennsylvan.html
    Thin blue lines painted on roadways? They appear in N.J. to support police, unlikely in Pa.
    The Thin Blue Line.

Most of us have heard the expression. It's often used to describe those few who protect the rest of us from crime and chaos.

But thin blue lines are beginning to show up on roadways around the country – and in some cases, they're running right down the middle of the road, between two thicker, yellow lines.

Is it a sign of support for local police departments? Or can it be a point of confusion – and even be a safety concern -- for drivers?

"I think there are appropriate ways to show support, and people should pursue those appropriate ways," said Greg Penny, spokesman for the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation's District 8, which includes the Harrisburg region.

Blue lines between solid, yellow lines haves have been seen recently in New Jersey, but Penny said this is not permitted on state-owned roads in Pennsylvania.

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Wellll, me and the hip are back home. Still quite sore...Icing 20 minutes every hour today and possibly tomorrow, depending on how it feels. (as usual, I did a really good job of messing up my lower back/hip)
    I came straight home, didn't even think more than one brief second about driving on to Whole Foods! So, lunch will probably be a grilled 'cheeze' open face sandwich and a big big salad. I have tofu to press and bake or dry fry, but not today!

Many years ago, I had a friend who had a pet squirrel...Henry. Henry fell from his nest, was found and brought home by my friends daughter, and she picked off all the maggots, etc, and nursed the little thing to health...Henry was one spoiled squirrel...had his own bedroom in her house, etc. Henry loved not only his nuts and other squirrel food, but he had a love of people food also...especially Cool Whip. So, one day in the grocery, she picked up a store brand instead of Cool Whip...Henry wouldn't even touch it. So, animals know! We should pay attention to them... :)

Soon as this 20 minutes is up, I'm kitchen bound, and once fed...I think this would be a good nap day!

Loved the cartoons Roger...I had not heard the story of Dr. Sam Wong....but loved the story, wish he'd have been right, and especially loved his integrity with eating a bug.
    About the Vitamin D3...mine was a direct bill from the testing lab! I'll have to watch for the Medicare explanation..

Ed, from what I read, putting a frozen chicken, etc..(including your roast) is not a good idea. The time that the protein is at a place between frozen to done has too long a time span at temps that bacteria, should their be any, and with chicken you can almost bet on it, that bacteria can rapidly grow...giving you a little 'something extra' with your protein....like sick, poison, upchuck, or worse. Not really worth it in my opinion.

Ok, time's up....off to return the frozen pack to the freezer and make myself a grilled cheeze and salad. For some reason I'm hungry, and I had a really good breakfast of black beans (5 oz) 8 oz of cooked mixed greens (spinach, mustard and kale) with onions, garlic and mushrooms for seasonings, and about 5 oz of tasty Sweet potato that I cooked in the pressure cooker...14 minutes...gotta love that! They come out nicely cooked, and moist...not always so in the microwave.

Later...

Hi Valerie
    I was happy that the election was over no matter what the Outcome was, But wait, The drama continues with the Protests every day :( In NYC, NY according to the news a man in one of the Subways wearing a "Make America Great Again" Hat Was attacked. In the Interview he also mentioned that he had been refused service for being a trump supporter. I found that to be depressing to say the least.

I'm sorry to hear about Your Hip pain continuing.

Interesting that a wild animal like a squirrel can make a good pet. Interesting about the Store brand Vs the name brand too.

I hope my explanation of benefits is correct and that my responsibility is $0. Good Luck on Your end.

I like Your reason not to go from the freezer to the slow cooker, it makes sense to me.

I actually like the texture of the Sweet Potatoes from our garden that I Microwave FWIW.
    Today I may try one of the Sunchokes that we grew and dug up the other day after they got frosted.

Lots of integrity carrying through on Your promise. I did not really think most of the people that said if Trump got elected they were leaving however.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Leemom3 wrote: »
    Good Morning All - and by "All," I am including Ed, Eduardo, and Eddie,

A cricket for breakfast is not on my menu, but Dr. Wang gets my vote for being a man of his word. I have heard that the critters are an excellent source of protein. I believe some undeveloped countries are looking to how they can be used as part of their diet since they may not have access to the same proteins we have in the US.

Val, I am with you about not slow cooking a frozen chicken. Maybe chicken breasts, but definitely not a whole one. As for your hip...I feel you pain...literally. I have been putting off a visit to the hip surgeon but have rescheduled for January. I know I am not "there" yet, but it does upset met that the one thing that stops the pain is...not exercising. I spent the summer with PT, a cortisone shot (never again...did nothing, and was uncomfortable to get), and the hip doctor (physiatrist) and getting an MRI. At just turning 56 (next week) and still with more good hip days than bad, I am not ready for surgery. But I know it probably is on the horizon...

Roger...where do you find those cartoons and other "funnies"? They do give a bright start to the day.

Ed, I recently listened to a book in which two of the characters were playing a game of all the "stars" who had guest roles on the original Batman, including Joan Collins and Milton Berle. I checked the list online (because if it's on the Internet, it is true...right?). It was quite a list!

Enjoy the day folks!

Hi Lee-Ann
    I think so to, A person should do what they said.

I do not know where they come from originally beyond the Internet in some way. I get them from emails my brother attaches them too. I cherry pick the best ones.

Good Luck with Your Hip. The Lady at ne of my Banks had them done last year and can now walk OK.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    I5EArD.jpg
    Colored Wool, Where Did You think it came from?
    jESlDi.jpg

pVWSsD.jpg

xoZ4Yn.jpg

k3xsaY.jpg
  • parityanimal
    Val, I made a grilled "cheese" sandwich using some of the Follow Your Heart American slices. Completely satisfactory grilled cheese!

Now I know what brand to get if I'm bringing a dish to a potluck and want to make it "cheesy" but still vegan, though I'm not sure if any of my vegan friends will actually believe it's vegan, since it tastes so good. :open_mouth:
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Hi! To all... Ed's house must be crowded, no wonder he's always cooking! Eddie and Eduardo, probably eat a lot!
    I made it thru buying groceries at Costco and Kroger..just barely. I came home and grabbed the Ice pack before I even unloaded the trunk of the car....owie owie!
    Just finished lunch, and am icing now, and a trip to say Hi, at the gym, and pick up a couple tomatoes, an avocado, and a lime at the market. :)

Going to stick my neck out here...If I come back headless, I guess I asked for it!
    Lee-Ann, I got rid the pain in my knees with turmeric. You might want to look into that. It doesn't act immediately, but it only took a couple weeks to notice a difference. Comes as a powder which you can cook with...curry time!...or capsules, or tablets. I've found a brand of pills that has pepper in it, to help make the turmeric more bio-available. (fat works too). Just a thought.
    Sounds more tasty to me than crickets! :) You'll find recipe's online for 'Golden Milk' and other drinks...I sometimes when I make my own almond milk will add turmeric, cinnamon, and cardamon...use it on my oatmeal. Is good!

Ok, I'm going to run out the door. Need to be back before 5 for my chat with DS1. Hopefully I'll find out whats happening Thanksgiving. Dinner at his house? or are we all going out? etc...

Later...

• parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! High expected of 77 today! Zero percent chance of rain.

Eddie might do some cleaning up today and definitely some dishes.
    ————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• Leemom3
    Leemom3 Posts: 103 Member
    Good morning all,

Waiting in the Phila airport for the plane to Atlanta. I hear the weather is supposed to be lovely there...but I still will have my lighter winter coat with me. I am wishing I had taken up the offer of the host organization to stay overnight. I might have enjoyed the time there!
    Val - I have never heard of turmeric for joint pain. I do use it for cooking. Maybe I will look for a pain-reducing recipe.

Ed, can you please send Eddie to my home? I need some cleaning too!

Roger, thanks for the pictures. You always bring a smile to my face!

Take care all - and enjoy the lovely weather.
  • RogerToo
    Val, I made a grilled "cheese" sandwich using some of the Follow Your Heart American slices. Completely satisfactory grilled cheese!

Now I know what brand to get if I'm bringing a dish to a potluck and want to make it "cheesy" but still vegan, though I'm not sure if any of my vegan friends will actually believe it's vegan, since it tastes so good. :open_mouth:
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! High expected of 77 today! Zero percent chance of rain.

Eddie might do some cleaning up today and definitely some dishes.
    Hi Ed
    I suspect that is good news for You since You do cook for Vegans. That is one thing my Brother does not have to worry about :) Which is lucky for him as he does a fair amount of cooking to pass out to friends.

Have a Nice Day and enjoy the Good Weather
    Roger
    Leemom3 wrote: »
    Good morning all,

Waiting in the Phila airport for the plane to Atlanta. I hear the weather is supposed to be lovely there...but I still will have my lighter winter coat with me. I am wishing I had taken up the offer of the host organization to stay overnight. I might have enjoyed the time there!
    Val - I have never heard of turmeric for joint pain. I do use it for cooking. Maybe I will look for a pain-reducing recipe.

Ed, can you please send Eddie to my home? I need some cleaning too!

Roger, thanks for the pictures. You always bring a smile to my face!

Take care all - and enjoy the lovely weather.

Hi Lee-Ann
    I'm glad some forum users are enjoying them :)
    I believe that if You were staying overnight Valerie and Ed could have suggested some things You would enjoy in the Atlanta area, Oh Well.

TBH I could use some help cleaning too.

Enjoy Your Trip. In the past I used to enjoy flying on vacation. OTOH that was back when the worst screening You had to go through was the Metal detector arch and emptying Your pockets on a tray to go through the scanner with You baggage and it was pretty quick. These days I do not think I would want to go through the security they use now.

Cheers
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    It was showing 48 degrees this morning , I have walked 8,449 steps. The weather forecast is for warmer today, even more warmth on Friday and warmer still Saturday. Up to around 65 for Saturday as of this mornings forecast highs. Colder on Sunday with Precipitation moving in.

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Good Morning! Lee-Ann, welcome to ATLanta! Or I should say, Welcome back to Atlanta. I remember you meeting up with your daughter for her conference here in the past, and unless my old brain is playing tricks on me, you lived in Atlanta at some point in your past???
    I am not seeing smoke this morning...wind must have changed direction..good, we needed a break..poor peeps with breathing issues were suffering. Lee-Ann, could you see our fires and smoke as you flew in?

Back is .... well it is. Walking good, sitting good, didn't wake me last night, but standing up from sitting still Owie owie! This too shall pass. Did my back stretching exercises already this morning, and my first round of icing too. (also my morning Aleve :( )
    Had a wonderful breakfast! Yesterday's greens made enough for 2 big plates of greens, so I had that for a base, and I'd cooked 2 big sweet potatoes in my pressure cooker yesterday, and had half of one of those, and I cooked 70 oz. of fake chicken strips for 21g protein! So, counting the protein in the faux chicken, greens, sweet potato, and the gluten free Millet and rice Ramen Noodles that were already cooked in the greens....I've pretty well covered Protein...will have my beans in my lunch salad later today. Oh, also there's a smidge of protein in the mushrooms that were part of the greens....yep! pretty amazing breakfast!

Roger, I hope you find Promise bread at your Costco. I had to hunt, and got what I think was the last loaf on the shelves...I found it over with the regular bread...not in the bakery section. They were also pushing a different bread. Little sample person toasting the bread and slathering it with margarine. Whoops, no thanks!
    So will consider this 2 loaf package as 'treasure' until I see it stocked again...

I'm planning to check Whole Foods to see if they carry the Follow My Heart Parm cheese. That would be fantastic! Add that touch of cheese flavor to lots of things. Mixed with Nutritional Yeast should be 'over the top' with flavor.

Ok, even though I live close by, Eddie is not here cleaning today, so I guess once more, I will be in charge of dust bunnies.... and a trip to WalMart for cat food. (Tom E. would be sorely disappointed if I fed the spider and not him!! )

Later...

• parityanimal
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Hi Ed
    I suspect that is good news for You since You do cook for Vegans. That is one thing my Brother does not have to worry about :) Which is lucky for him as he does a fair amount of cooking to pass out to friends.

Indeed! Up to now whenever I've made a vegan dish to bring, I usually have made something J likes that is vegetarian and substitute (or omit) any non-vegan ingredients. Olive oil can be used instead of ghee or butter, usually, eggs and/or cheese were generally omitted, as there didn't seem to be any decent replacements for those.

Every vegan "cheese" I'd tried wouldn't melt AND tasted like *kitten* and I wasn't going to foist that off on my friends. I won't bring anything that I won't eat. I think now the problem may be convincing them that a casserole that appears to be slathered with CHEESE is actually vegan! Lol!

• parityanimal
    Watching the extras disc of the Batman series of the 60s now. After the extras, I'll pull out my DVD of the Batman movie from 1966!
  • parityanimal
    I wonder how much cheap, easily destroyable furniture was demolished in the making of the Batman series?
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's fabulous Friday! Today, high 78, 10% chance of rain.

All done with the Batman '66 marathon. Next on the list, a much shorter Movie Theater Serial marathon of The Adventures of Captain Marvel (12 episodes, 1941), Batman (15 episodes, 1943) and Batman and Robin (15 episodes, 1949) which should be interesting. I've also got the complete George Reeves Superman television series and the ill fated television Superboy series from 1988 and, if I can find it, Superman - The 1948 & 1950 Theatrical Serials Collection. All of this should make fun watching for a while.

• GardenKatGardens
    Good Morning TGIF!
    Ed wrote, "Every vegan "cheese" I'd tried wouldn't melt AND tasted like *kitten* and I wasn't going to foist that off on my friends. I won't bring anything that I won't eat. I think now the problem may be convincing them that a casserole that appears to be slathered with CHEESE is actually vegan! Lol!"...how well I know that! It will be like Ted the first time anyone served him seitan...he asked 3 times if they were 'sure' that wasn't some form of beef!!!

Made it to O's gymnastics, bailed on the after event, a school spirit night at Chick fil A. By then I was hurting too much to have fun! Jenn had a great idea, get some of the Aleve 'patches' and apply to my hip. So, I stopped at Publix, and of course they didn't have them. The Pharm Tech did 'suggest' I might look at Walgreens...so that will be my outing today.
    I've done my back stretches as chiro instructed, so hopefully the patch will work. The upside of that is it won't have to travel thru and damage my digestive track! Fingers crossed.

Laundry already in dryer, Tom E and i both fed..so the morning off to a decent start. Supposed to be warm today, with cold front coming Saturday. I've surely enjoyed this extended warm weather.
    Ed, I'm sure you've seen the news, but we are now under Level 2 water restrictions...boils down to no car washing except at commercial places, no power washing of houses, sidewalks, etc., and 2 days a week outdoor watering...odd house numbers can water from 4p to 10 a.m on Thursdays and Sundays...Even numbers get Wednesdays and Saturdays, 4p to 10 a.m. And so it begins......
    Oh, and they are serious about the hours. Last time I got caught running over the morning cut off time. (chatting on the phone, lost track of time..busted!) I got off with a warning, and reminded there would be a $200 fine if it happened again...
    I did not see the dreaded words...'hand watering only'...so I guess we can still use the things that auto spray our lawns and flowers, etc.

I'm ont awke enough to know anything else....so..
    Later...

• parityanimal
    If I remember the restrictions right, you can auto-water any FOOD plant as needed, regardless of restriction times. As for the others, yes, auto-watering should be acceptable during the stated hours. Under NORMAL restrictions, hand watering is allowed even outside restricted hours (bucket or hand held hose) within reason, as long as you are actually OUT THERE HOLDING THE HOSE, not just laying the end of it down and going back in...but the current restrictions may preclude even hand watering except during restricted hours...I'll have to check.

Luckily they didn't notice me flushing my water heater yesterday and think I was watering the gardenia bushes! The flow was up under the bushes so not likely to be noticed.

J's greenhouse is ALWAYS a hand water item, and it's in the back, so shouldn't be an issue. We don't believe in watering lawns anyway, and I prefer outdoor plants that take care of themselves and don't generally water any of them anyway, though If I want to water my blueberries that should be allowable regardless.

Well, off to check the restrictions list to make sure!