Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,227 Member
    Valerie, I tried the Follow Your Heart vegan egg replacer I bought at Sprouts. If you miss eggs, I think you'd be impressed with them, at least as a breakfast scramble. I prepared, according to their directions, two eggs worth, mixed in my Magic Bullet, and scrambled them. Tasting without any seasoning I wasn't impressed, but after adding a sprinkle of salt and pepper, I found them to be pretty good! Fairly good, egg-like texture, flavor, and appearance.

Next I need to try them in some baked good...
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good Morning! It is Thanksgiving Week. Now, I can think about pumpkin/spice stuff. To early for it when it all started before Halloween. If I didn't have issues with milk and sugar, I'd run right out and buy a pumpkin spice latte!!!

Lee-Ann, Hi, I knew your daughter was on the west coast...and I did remember you visiting with her here when she attended a conference...I just remembered the wrong season!!
    May I ask what conference you spoke at? That has to be exciting...to be able to stand among peers and impart vital information.
    My veg breakfast was not hot...however, the dinner sandwich I ate with the pita bread and falafel and the leftover Indian red sauce...now THAT was spicy hot! Several months ago I decided to switch up my meal times....in the mornings I seem to have the most energy, etc. and by dinner time I'm tired and not wanting to cook, just grab something and eat...and that choice is usually is not a very healthy one...Sooooo, my morning meal generally is a 'formula'. A green, a bean, and a piece of fruit. Spinach and beet greens + tofu (soybeans) + a banana. The mushrooms, onion, garlic are mainly there to flavor or add to the healthy part of eating in general. Make sense? I didn't last night, but I generally have a bowl of cereal (often oatmeal) at night with again some fruit, mostly berries, and my 2 T of daily ground flax seeds. Lunch? oh, a big, really big, raw salad and a protein, maybe a grain, and usually another non meat protein. It all works for me...by the time my cereal rolls around, the kitchen has been cleaned up, and all that's left is a bowl and spoon to rinse and add to the dishwasher!!!

Roger! SNOW!!! so happy it was in NJ. It was 36 here this morning...had I seen snow I'd have probably crawled right back into bed and tried not to think about it!
    Sorry your lunch was postponed...but nice that you've already rescheduled that event!. I love Thai food! Not at all sure how NS it would be, but I loved the Maasaman curry! With the chunks of potato, chicken, avocado, and a scattering of whole cashews!!! So good...and not hot and spicy. Kinda like an Asian version of chicken pot pie with different spices??? It was always 'comfort' food for me. I should look into recipe's and see if I can 'veganize' Is that even a word?

Ed...I am sure that D's family will very much appreciate their Thanksgiving dinner, and sincerely hope that they are thoughtful enough to call You! I'm sure it was tasty, though I've never gotten on of WF's dinners, I have eaten plenty of their hot and cold bar foods to know that they do have decent food!
    I think there were several alien beings on my back porch last night. The warm kitty box, with the thermal heat pad was turned almost 45degrees, a corner of the throw rug for kitty scratching was moved, and big clue here...the water in Tom E's bowl was not just dirty, it was filthy! Somebody had been to the pond, and then came up here to sponge bath in Tom's water dish. Damn raccoons! :) Remember last year they stole the heating pad! (this year the new one is attached to the box in two places with those plastic tie strips! And the box is bigger than the kitty windows...so this year it will stay on the porch!

Later...

• GardenKatGardens
    Ok, somehow I missed a bunch of posts????
    Ed, I don't so much miss the egg taste, and I love the tofu scrambles I make...but its how does it act as a 'binder' in baked goods, sauces, etc. I know there's the ground flax egg replacer that you can make, (and no I've never tried that either!)...

Roger thanks for the Hard Cheese recipe. I will give that a try! I don't have any agar-agar, and wonder if that can be replaced with another 'thickener'...I think agar-agar, and my mind sees stacks of petri dishes filled with agar, and growing bacteria....some of it pretty disgusting smelling growing bacteria. And even with all of that, I really always enjoyed working in the Bacteriology Lab! It always struck me a being like planting a garden with a packet of nameless seeds....you never knew what would grow. So, I'll have to think on that....like just buy some and try it! Or as the kids would say.."get over it"...

I liked the 'middle' weather station...lots of information, and elegant looking as well. But, I don't know your sister...she may very well prefer one with the Storm Glass! Tough choice.
    Your after TDay skillet sounds really good...not on my diet either! :)
    Jenn makes a great stuffing that is made in a casserole dish, and made with vegetable broth. Its tasty. I'm going to make my Bourbon Cranberry Sauce, and there is always corn and peas in my freezer...soooo, some dry fried tofu cubes (ala Eddie), and I may have a dinner? Oh, potato...well, could add some chunks of cooked white potato, or chunks of cooked sweet potato...and I think I'd have a winner!!! :) I may just have to try that! Or, I'm threatening to make the sausage stuffing using broken up pieces of vegan sausage patties...(flavor is the key here!).... I just ATE! Already I'm planning food??? I think I need to find a chore or two and clear my brain! LOL!!

Off to the kitchen to wash up a few dishes, like the insert for the Instant Pot..(14 minute Sweet potatoes) :) I really do love that thing! And a few 'non dishwasher' items...like my knives, etc.

Later...
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Good Morning! It is Thanksgiving Week. Now, I can think about pumpkin/spice stuff. To early for it when it all started before Halloween. If I didn't have issues with milk and sugar, I'd run right out and buy a pumpkin spice latte!!!
    Snipped

Roger! SNOW!!! so happy it was in NJ. It was 36 here this morning...had I seen snow I'd have probably crawled right back into bed and tried not to think about it!
    Sorry your lunch was postponed...but nice that you've already rescheduled that event!. I love Thai food! Not at all sure how NS it would be, but I loved the Maasaman curry! With the chunks of potato, chicken, avocado, and a scattering of whole cashews!!! So good...and not hot and spicy. Kinda like an Asian version of chicken pot pie with different spices??? It was always 'comfort' food for me. I should look into recipe's and see if I can 'veganize' Is that even a word?

Ed...I am sure that D's family will very much appreciate their Thanksgiving dinner, and sincerely hope that they are thoughtful enough to call You! I'm sure it was tasty, though I've never gotten on of WF's dinners, I have eaten plenty of their hot and cold bar foods to know that they do have decent food!
    I think there were several alien beings on my back porch last night. The warm kitty box, with the thermal heat pad was turned almost 45degrees, a corner of the throw rug for kitty scratching was moved, and big clue here...the water in Tom E's bowl was not just dirty, it was filthy! Somebody had been to the pond, and then came up here to sponge bath in Tom's water dish. Damn raccoons! :) Remember last year they stole the heating pad! (this year the new one is attached to the box in two places with those plastic tie strips! And the box is bigger than the kitty windows...so this year it will stay on the porch!

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    I was not happy seeing it either. Maybe if I had seen it before I left I might have crawled back in bed too. It was a weird snow. I did not notice until I crossed the cross street as I headed up for Coffee. Some areas it was only on Cars or only on roofs and in front of the house was one of those. My car in driveway had snow on it, however I only walked past my brothers that only had a few drops of water on it and I did not really look up at the roofs or I would have seen it there.

The Thai Place is this one.... http://www.thaion22.com/

When I was working nearby there was one person that ate Lunch or dinner there everyday, Must be good food :)
    I found the yelp review page, You might find the reviews interesting. FWIW When I worked nearby in the same Strip Mall I ended up eating one of the lunch specials several days a week.
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/house-of-thai-cuisine-green-brook

I'm sure 'veganize' must or should be a word.

Good Luck keeping the Raccoons away now that You not only provided water for washing but warm sleeping quarters.
    Ok, somehow I missed a bunch of posts????
    Ed, I don't so much miss the egg taste, and I love the tofu scrambles I make...but its how does it act as a 'binder' in baked goods, sauces, etc. I know there's the ground flax egg replacer that you can make, (and no I've never tried that either!)...

Roger thanks for the Hard Cheese recipe. I will give that a try! I don't have any agar-agar, and wonder if that can be replaced with another 'thickener'...I think agar-agar, and my mind sees stacks of petri dishes filled with agar, and growing bacteria....some of it pretty disgusting smelling growing bacteria. And even with all of that, I really always enjoyed working in the Bacteriology Lab! It always struck me a being like planting a garden with a packet of nameless seeds....you never knew what would grow. So, I'll have to think on that....like just buy some and try it! Or as the kids would say.."get over it"...

I liked the 'middle' weather station...lots of information, and elegant looking as well. But, I don't know your sister...she may very well prefer one with the Storm Glass! Tough choice.
    Your after TDay skillet sounds really good...not on my diet either! :)
    Jenn makes a great stuffing that is made in a casserole dish, and made with vegetable broth. Its tasty. I'm going to make my Bourbon Cranberry Sauce, and there is always corn and peas in my freezer...soooo, some dry fried tofu cubes (ala Eddie), and I may have a dinner? Oh, potato...well, could add some chunks of cooked white potato, or chunks of cooked sweet potato...and I think I'd have a winner!!! :) I may just have to try that! Or, I'm threatening to make the sausage stuffing using broken up pieces of vegan sausage patties...(flavor is the key here!).... I just ATE! Already I'm planning food??? I think I need to find a chore or two and clear my brain! LOL!!

Off to the kitchen to wash up a few dishes, like the insert for the Instant Pot..(14 minute Sweet potatoes) :) I really do love that thing! And a few 'non dishwasher' items...like my knives, etc.

Later...

I think the same thing when I see the word Agar :)

I did provide the link to the MFP post regarding it so You could look at the hard Cheese posts FWIW.

The one I decided on was the Second one with the Two glass tubes.... Decorative looking to me :)
    I went on Amazon and I found the same appearance weather station with free shipping to my sisters in Washington State since I do have Prime. I paid the little extra for gift wrap and the gift card is free. $47.75 at Amazon vs the other place which was cheaper. However I don't like having my credit card information all over the place. The Other place was $29.95 with flat rate for the $5 on the first order. The other reason is I could have sworn I saw a higher price on the other place :( Oh well....
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PE0451G/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I hope She likes it as well as the 72 piece Sports Emergency pack. I try to do a 1 each useful and decorative gifts.

It sounds as if Your mind is working on trying new things.
    I got some more of the old kitchen floor up. The part that is left is coming up harder. I think the easier parts were loosened up with the foot traffic on it over the years.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Valerie, I will try the egg replacer in something baked, soon...just not sure yet what sort of baked thing to make, as I don't make a lot of baked good in recent years. I'm afraid to try it in the pumpkin pie as I want to be sure it works first! Maybe I can make a small batch of fairly plain, sugar free muffins one day...

And I'd definitely recommend buying some agar, as I've used that successfully as my gelatin replacement for years, as J doesn't eat anything with gelatin in it. I'm not sure how "jell-like" other thickeners, like guar gum, will get, but I know agar works. Readily available at any Asian grocery or farmers market. Maybe even in the more standard stores now or from Amazon.

• Leemom3
    Leemom3 Posts: 103 Member
    Valerie,
    I get it, thinking back to high school bio when you hear "agar-agar"! although kosher (vegetarian) gel-stuff really is similar to agar-agar, perhaps if you buy it under a different label (from a kosher section of a market?) it might fool you? What about fruit pectin? Do you think that might work?
    As for the conference - I have a rather specialized professional niche for speaking these days. I speak on legal issues for school nurses. My background from years ago as a lawyer combined with my clinical practice as a school nurse - and now teaching school nursing on a grad level - have put me in a good spot for that. But, it really has a limited audience. For those not interested in the topic...believe me, I understand!
  • parityanimal
    Well, about to go to bed. J didn't go to Kentucky yet, but does still plan to go. We finished up with moving plants indoors today though.

For dinner, as it was proving to be a chilly evening, Eduardo concocted some nice, spicy black bean soup that was served with sliced avocado as a starter, sprinkled with smoked paprika and just a pinch of pink Himalayan salt. No leftovers, as Eduardo cleverly sliced up one avocado each, and made just enough soup for two nice bowls, one apiece. Eddie eyed the dishes warily (not really all THAT many of them) and decided to take the evening off, but will take care of that in the morning.

Later we had small servings of popcorn watching television and split a sweet, ripe, Bosc pear for dessert. The sugar gliders got part of the pear too.

Overall, quite a pleasant evening. J isn't sure now just when he's going to Kentucky, but no later than Wednesday night I am pretty sure.

G'nite all! Sleep tight!

• RogerToo
    Hi
    It was showing 37 degrees and still breezy this morning and a few stray flakes of snow.

Have a Great Monday
    Roger
    Leemom3 wrote: »
    Valerie,
    I get it, thinking back to high school bio when you hear "agar-agar"! although kosher (vegetarian) gel-stuff really is similar to agar-agar, perhaps if you buy it under a different label (from a kosher section of a market?) it might fool you? What about fruit pectin? Do you think that might work?
    As for the conference - I have a rather specialized professional niche for speaking these days. I speak on legal issues for school nurses. My background from years ago as a lawyer combined with my clinical practice as a school nurse - and now teaching school nursing on a grad level - have put me in a good spot for that. But, it really has a limited audience. For those not interested in the topic...believe me, I understand!

Hi Lee-Ann
    That is a interesting niche and IMO a niche is better than being a generalist.

Wow, I have not used Fruit Pectin for years, the last time being when I made some Crab Apple jelly.

Some foods I suspect that the Kosher is a better quality especially given that the way the Feds grade things is weird. Example being that as I understand it beef is graded on how it is marbled more than cleanliness. However You do pay through the nose for Kosher meats especially.

Have a nice Day
    Roger

Hi Ed
    Hi Valerie
  • parityanimal
    edited November 2016
    Howdy y'all. Its marvelous Monday! I've been up for hours but distracted by various things. Eduardo had to whip up breakfast, Eddie had to take care of the dishes, and then the INTERNET...

Valerie, I tried the vegan egg replacer this morning in BLUEBERRY PANCAKES, using up the last of my summer blueberries from the freezer. The egg replacer worked just fine in the pancakes. Oddly enough, the egg replacer even has a slight sulfur smell, right as you start to reconstitute it. At any rate, I was quite pleased with the result, though pancakes may not technically be a "baked" item.

Eduardo has some instant chili mix going in a slow cooker now for lunch. I'm trying THIS ONE, to see how it goes.

https://www.amazon.com/Harmony-House-Foods-Mixed-Chili/dp/B00PSZKXRW/ref=sr_1_18_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1479741983&sr=8-18&keywords=harmony+house+dehydrated+food

I added some of their dried, minced jalapeño, and my own mix of chili seasoning, as the mix only has the dried beans, onion, bell pepper, and soy flour in it. Hopefully it will be tasty. I've been very pleased with this brand of dried foods over the years, and generally have quite a few of their products in my cupboard as quick fall backs for when I need a certain veggie and just don't have time to run to the store.

Some of them do need a longer rehydration/cooking time than specified, but that's easily accomplished. I tend to keep some mushrooms, bell peppers, jalapeño, carrots, diced AND sliced potatoes, and the veggie soup mix. All great for a quick fix dinner or lunch, and one can also just add extra veggies to any other soup easily.

Oh, and the tomato powder! Can't say enough good things about the tomato powder. I ALWAYS keep that on hand for when I don't have any tomato sauce, tomato paste, or tomato juice for a recipe...

• GardenKatGardens
    Slept in til 8!! And have spent my morning online, with a heat pad on my back, and finally about 11 I made my 'greens +' breakfast. Lunch, raw salad based, may actually happen at Sweet Tomatoes about 3-3:30p. Dinner will def. be a bowl of oatmeal!

You guys are great resources!!! Holy cow! So many ideas about the agar-agar. I see it at Amazon for 2 oz reasonable... I've never tried this fake hard cheese recipe, so I surely don't want to buy a big amount of it. Our local groceries so have some foods that are kosher, I've never noticed agar, but then I was never looking for it either. Fruit pectin might work, I've used it in jellies and jams...It might just work, since its added to water and cooked for 5 minutes, then added to the rest of the ingredients in the blender. Hmmmm

Ok, so on to the tomato POWDER? Do tell me where to find this! I hate opening a little can of tomato paste for a tablespoon or less and having to toss the rest of it....same with tomato juice, and you only need 1/4c of it. And thanks about the Egg Replacer! For sure will hunt that down...Sprouts, right? Not often I bake stuff, but occasionally I see a recipe I'd like to try....
    Like I originally said, you guys are a treasure!!! :)

It was 32 here this morning...in both Duluth and ATL... so, it froze ( :)), now can we have spring? There's a robin on my back porch hoping towards Tom E's food! Thats a spring sign, right?? LOL!!!

Ok, I think there's some baked tofu that needs to go to the refrigerator, and since I ate there must be dishes and my big 'everyday' sauté pan to scrub.

Check your refrigerators for Sabra Hummus...huge big recall. Nationwide from what I hear. I don't often buy it, generally make it from scratch...or I should say my VitaMix does!

Later...

• RogerToo
    Hi Again
    The Wind is still gusting, wind gusts into the 20s MPH. I ran off to CostCo since when I went to pull the Last Bag of Frozen Vegetables I thought was in the freezer it was not there.

Steps so far after that are 9,749 :) I spent $60 there with everything, Two trays of Apples, Gala & Fuji, 18 pack of Greek Yogurt and three bags of Vegetables. I was not afraid of the apples as I have never gotten a bad tray of them from CostCo.

Cheers
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Slept in til 8!! And have spent my morning online, with a heat pad on my back, and finally about 11 I made my 'greens +' breakfast. Lunch, raw salad based, may actually happen at Sweet Tomatoes about 3-3:30p. Dinner will def. be a bowl of oatmeal!

You guys are great resources!!! Holy cow! So many ideas about the agar-agar. I see it at Amazon for 2 oz reasonable... I've never tried this fake hard cheese recipe, so I surely don't want to buy a big amount of it. Our local groceries so have some foods that are kosher, I've never noticed agar, but then I was never looking for it either. Fruit pectin might work, I've used it in jellies and jams...It might just work, since its added to water and cooked for 5 minutes, then added to the rest of the ingredients in the blender. Hmmmm

Ok, so on to the tomato POWDER? Do tell me where to find this! I hate opening a little can of tomato paste for a tablespoon or less and having to toss the rest of it....same with tomato juice, and you only need 1/4c of it. And thanks about the Egg Replacer! For sure will hunt that down...Sprouts, right? Not often I bake stuff, but occasionally I see a recipe I'd like to try....
    Like I originally said, you guys are a treasure!!! :)

It was 32 here this morning...in both Duluth and ATL... so, it froze ( :)), now can we have spring? There's a robin on my back porch hoping towards Tom E's food! Thats a spring sign, right?? LOL!!!

Ok, I think there's some baked tofu that needs to go to the refrigerator, and since I ate there must be dishes and my big 'everyday' sauté pan to scrub.

Check your refrigerators for Sabra Hummus...huge big recall. Nationwide from what I hear. I don't often buy it, generally make it from scratch...or I should say my VitaMix does!

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    I doubt that the Robin is a sign of spring no matter how much You would like it to be :)

I have seen advertisements for that brand of Hummus on the TV in the past. I caught with 1/2 a ear that there was a food recall, I missed what it was so thanks. No Hummus in the refrigerator however.

Since I was in CostCo today for Frozen Vegetables I looked for that bread. The Bakery has changed from the way it was in the past however. Now I did not see and Breads or Baked goods beyond the items that are baked in the store. I was tempted by the Danish, Two 4 packs of flavors, mix & match for $7.99. However I made a valiant effort and passed them by :)
    Bottom line no chance as I see it for the bread you mentioned so I am glad I did not make a special trip looking for it.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Valerie, I order the tomato powder through Amazon too. I order ALL my Harmony House dehydrated or freeze dried foods through Amazon and have never been disappointed by the quality.

Here's the link to the tomato powder.

https://www.amazon.com/Harmony-House-Foods-Tomato-Powder/dp/B0039QS496/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1479751665&sr=8-1&keywords=harmony+house+tomato+powder&th=1
  • parityanimal
    We first tried Harmony House foods when we used to camp more. Before ordering any large quantities, we ordered a sampler of the veggies to see which ones we liked.

Here's a veggie sampler:

https://www.amazon.com/Harmony-House-Foods-Vegetable-Emergency/dp/B0039QW1HM/ref=sr_1_2_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1479752351&sr=1-2&keywords=harmony+house+foods+sampler&th=1

While the generic instructions do say 10 to 15 minutes, we quickly found that some items required considerably more time to achieve full rehydration. The corn, for instance, rehydrates beautifully, but only if simmered for at LEAST 30 minutes to an hour for full, soft, sweet corn texture. So I only used that when we had plenty of time for it. Carrots take a bit longer than 15 minutes as well, to get to a texture J and I really like. Broccoli, bell peppers, onion, jalapeño, mushrooms, all rehydrate very nicely in a short time, as did the cabbage and celery.

With the standard vegetable soup mix, I always let it simmer for 30 to 45 minutes to ensure full hydration of all the veggies, and it comes out great. I just use vegetable broth, add seasonings, add soup mix, and simmer for a quick, hot lunch.

• parityanimal
    Well, the lunch chili came out delicious. I had a big bowl of "cheesy" vegan chili because I crumbled up the last couple of slices of my Follow Your Heart American slices into my bowl to see how well that would work. It worked well, and tasted cheesy. J even liked the chili despite the soy flour having been formed int little burger like bits, as they were so soft that they didn't really cause him any distress with their similarity to burger. Could be because I simmered the chili a LOT longer than 15 minutes. :) Anyway, it's a winner and he'll be happy to eat it again, which is good as we barely put a dent in the jar of mix.

I won't worry about that Sabra Hummus recall, as I ate it last Tuesday and I think the listeria would have got me by now if mine was bad...I have NO IDEA whether mine was in the recall "sell by" date or not, as it's long gone.

Lunch dishes all washed up. Might hear a nap calling me shortly!
  • GardenKatGardens
    Same here, no uneaten Sabra at my house...canned chick peas at the ready for home made this week!
    Glad J liked your lunch!, also glad to know the Am. Cheese flavor is great with Chili! Yep, wheels turning between my ears....

I'm ready for bed. I cannot quit yawning. Tom E's been fed and is back outside, and I'm still full from my late Sweet Tomato lunch...

Had a funny discourse in line at Kroger this evening. Lady behind me saw the heating pads that I was buying, asked me if I'd tried XYZ brand...said they were working great on her shoulder. Then pointed to a very large bottle of wine, and said it was her pain killer. We shared a good laugh. I love people who are friendly and congenial and unafraid to talk to strangers.

I think, if I heard correctly Sabra was being very pro-active. That the Listeria was found in the mfg building,or area?, but hadn't actually been found in any of the product tested. Better safe that sorry for sure.

Nighty Nite...I'm done for this day...

• RogerToo
    Hi
    It was showing 37 degrees today the same as yesterday and still breezy this morning. The wind chill makes it uncomfortable walking. I hit 11K steps yesterday between the mornings walk and the bank stop on the way to CostCo and shopping at CostCo :)
    There was one pair of people at the CostCo that had two shopping carts piled with their large pies. One Cart was Pumpkin Pies and the Other with lots of Apple Pies. I wondered what they were going to do with all of them, My brother suggested that they were probably going to be handed out with Thanksgiving meals which makes sense.

Have a Great Tuesday
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! We're back on a warming trend. High today of 63!

Smokin' jalapeño cornbread made for the stuffing/dressing. Turkey still thawing out in the fridge. Probably make the pie tomorrow, but maybe later today...

So I've been up for a while but distracted by various things. Banana and some spiced lamb patties for breakfast.

Still a few dishes to wash up.

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• RogerToo
    We first tried Harmony House foods when we used to camp more. Before ordering any large quantities, we ordered a sampler of the veggies to see which ones we liked.

Here's a veggie sampler:

https://www.amazon.com/Harmony-House-Foods-Vegetable-Emergency/dp/B0039QW1HM/ref=sr_1_2_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1479752351&sr=1-2&keywords=harmony+house+foods+sampler&th=1

While the generic instructions do say 10 to 15 minutes, we quickly found that some items required considerably more time to achieve full rehydration. The corn, for instance, rehydrates beautifully, but only if simmered for at LEAST 30 minutes to an hour for full, soft, sweet corn texture. So I only used that when we had plenty of time for it. Carrots take a bit longer than 15 minutes as well, to get to a texture J and I really like. Broccoli, bell peppers, onion, jalapeño, mushrooms, all rehydrate very nicely in a short time, as did the cabbage and celery.

With the standard vegetable soup mix, I always let it simmer for 30 to 45 minutes to ensure full hydration of all the veggies, and it comes out great. I just use vegetable broth, add seasonings, add soup mix, and simmer for a quick, hot lunch.
    Hi Ed
    FWIW just to be saying something, I know from experience in the 80s and 90s that one Burger chain at that time anyway used Dehydrated Onions on the small burgers and delivered already Chopped onions on the larger burgers :)

The Onions re-hydrated pretty fast from what I observed. I would imagine how long things take to hydrate depend on how big the parts are chopped.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
    Same here, no uneaten Sabra at my house...canned chick peas at the ready for home made this week!
    Glad J liked your lunch!, also glad to know the Am. Cheese flavor is great with Chili! Yep, wheels turning between my ears....

I'm ready for bed. I cannot quit yawning. Tom E's been fed and is back outside, and I'm still full from my late Sweet Tomato lunch...

Had a funny discourse in line at Kroger this evening. Lady behind me saw the heating pads that I was buying, asked me if I'd tried XYZ brand...said they were working great on her shoulder. Then pointed to a very large bottle of wine, and said it was her pain killer. We shared a good laugh. I love people who are friendly and congenial and unafraid to talk to strangers.

I think, if I heard correctly Sabra was being very pro-active. That the Listeria was found in the mfg building,or area?, but hadn't actually been found in any of the product tested. Better safe that sorry for sure.

Nighty Nite...I'm done for this day...
    Hi Valerie
    No Hummus in the house, Sabra or otherwise :)

I always liked Shredded Cheddar on Chili.

That lady in line behind You sounds exactly like something my Brother would do in line.

Pro-Active is good.

Enjoy Your Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    1umgQl.jpg
    Looks good to me, possibly a little high in calories however

4OCIry.jpg

3hlWnz.jpg

biDqJ9.gif

kWDMqC.jpg

ztrj7M.jpg