Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi
    It was showing 45 degrees a bit warmer than yesterday. I only walked 6,039 steps on this walk as I was feeling a bit under the weather.

My mistake with the weather Station was not mentioning that It would be obvious if it was damaged without it being unwrapped :(

I think that I ended up the day better than I expected too, especially since I had most of everything for Lunch and Dinner except the Pumpkin Pie. I'll use that as a Smart Carb for my Snacks today without the Home Made Whipped Cream.

Well before Bedtime the Kitchen was finished, All of the Pans cleaned and put away, Dishes done, Turkey broken down off of the Bones and on a large platter for the Dark meat and Another one for the Breast meat. I know have enough White meat to take me past Christmas when used 2 or 3 ounces a day for a Power Fuel. Today is Vacuum Seal day and Freeze much of the leftover Turkey and Dressing.

In the news the other day. I found it hard to believe personally however here is a link.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/16/us/political-divide-splits-relationships-and-thanksgiving-too.html?_r=0
    WASHINGTON — Matthew Horn, a software engineer from Boulder, Colo., canceled Christmas plans with his family in Texas. Nancy Sundin, a social worker in Spokane, Wash., has called off Thanksgiving with her mother and brother. Ruth Dorancy, a software designer in Chicago, decided to move her wedding so that her fiancé’s grandmother and aunt, strong Trump supporters from Florida, could not attend.

The election is over, but the repercussions in people’s lives may be just beginning as families across the United States contemplate uncomfortable holidays — or decide to bypass them — and relationships among friends, relatives and spouses are tested across the political divide.

Democrats have dug in their heels, and in some cases are refusing to sit across the table from relatives who voted for President-elect Donald J. Trump, a man they say stands for things they abhor. Many who voted for Mr. Trump say it is the liberals who are to blame for discord, unfairly tarring them with the odious label of “racist” just because they voted for someone else.

I hope everybody Had a Great Holiday
    Have a Great Friday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    The bird is in the oven. The celery and onion are chopped for the stuffing, the giblets are almost cooked and ready to go to the next step of the giblet gravy...need to chop onion and bell pepper and prep some broccoli for the two broccoli dishes.

Everything going smoothly, and the Macy's parade playing on my other monitor.

For the sun-chokes, I'm trying to follow the KISS principle...and since the oven is already at 350, will be sticking them in on the shelf under the turkey at the appropriate time.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/231247/roasted-jerusalem-artichokes-or-sunchokes/
    Hi Ed
    Thank You for the Recipe, Saved it as a document and Printed it to go with some Sunchokes that my brother is going to hand out to a friend Tomorrow when we have lunch at the Thai Food place. That being: http://www.thaion22.com/
    The feast! Ham, turkey, jalapeño Cajun cornbread dressing, giblet gravy, maple glazed sweet potato, roasted sun- chokes, broccoli rice cheese casserole, Greek yogurt deviled eggs, gingered cranberry kumquat relish, pumpkin pie. As presented, as plated, except for the cranberry relish and the pie, as appreciated by Lilo, the leftover turkey, and the stuffed fridge after. I'll make the broccoli saute another day.
    I snipped out the images to save viewing room on the page.
    That feast looks delicious. I meant to take pictures too, one more thing I forgot to do :)
    Howdy y'all. It's Leftover Thanksgiving Food day!

I feel that I managed to restrain myself fairly well. The "no potatoes, no rolls" idea worked well and I didn't really miss them. You saw my plate(s)...I did ad a spoonful of my cranberry relish to the middle of the main plate, and had a piece of my pie, but other than that, dinner was just a fairly small plate, and while I felt FULL, I didn't feel STUFFED as on prior Thanksgivings. But even if I did, I always take Thanksgiving as something of a day off from counting carbs, calories, or anything else WITHIN REASON. A bite or two of everything but not a lot of anything. Maybe I did have just a little more than a bite or two of stuffing and turkey, but that's what it's all about! :)

And Lilo loved her small serving of turkey breast.

Supper last night was, for me, just some turkey, stuffing, and gravy. For J it was the rest of the deviled eggs and some potato chips. Oh, and I did have another small slice of my pie.

Breakfast this morning: leftover ham, and one small banana.

I know I'm going to have to freeze some of this turkey breast unless I make an enormous turkey pig of myself. The ham I'll finish off in a day or three, but there is a LOT of turkey left. It will all, eventually, be eaten, just some may be a while. LOL.

If I go anywhere today, it will just be to Kroger for some salad dressing so I can make turkey sandwiches. I don't DO Black Friday sales. Ever.
    I know what You mean, Holiday food :)

Hmm... I never noticed that the Potatoes were not being used :) OTOH You had Sunchokes.

Today is vacuum Seal the Leftover starches and Turkey. Probably vacuum seal and freeze the 2nd Pumpkin pie too. Yup we have Vacuum seal bags that can take a 10 inch Pie, The sides have Pleats so that it can take thick foods.

My brother and I were talking last night and he asked me if I wanted Ham for Christmas or he could make a Lasagna. I mentioned that last years Low Sodium Ham was delicious and since we qualified for the free one Last year the price was really good too.

Your mention if Potato Chips reminds me that I want to find reasonably priced snack size Chips too. Something around 100 to 150 calories per bag. I know if I bought a big bag I would start on it and oh oh, suddenly it would be empty :)

I did not have any Pumpkin Pie Yesterday, I ate too much other foods as was. Today I'll have small wedges as my Mid-afternoon and evening snacks however.

I keep Thousand Island Salad Dressing in stock since I like it on the NS Grilled Chicken Sandwiches and their Hamburger and their Dinner Meatloaf Sandwich. I am thinking today I will try it with some Turkey Breast in a 60 calorie Wrap for my Mid-morning PF + SC snack.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    It was showing 45 degrees a bit warmer than yesterday. I only walked 6,039 steps on this walk as I was feeling a bit under the weather.

My mistake with the weather Station was not mentioning that It would be obvious if it was damaged without it being unwrapped :(

I think that I ended up the day better than I expected too, especially since I had most of everything for Lunch and Dinner except the Pumpkin Pie. I'll use that as a Smart Carb for my Snacks today without the Home Made Whipped Cream.

Well before Bedtime the Kitchen was finished, All of the Pans cleaned and put away, Dishes done, Turkey broken down off of the Bones and on a large platter for the Dark meat and Another one for the Breast meat. I know have enough White meat to take me past Christmas when used 2 or 3 ounces a day for a Power Fuel. Today is Vacuum Seal day and Freeze much of the leftover Turkey and Dressing.

In the news the other day. I found it hard to believe personally however here is a link.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/16/us/political-divide-splits-relationships-and-thanksgiving-too.html?_r=0
    WASHINGTON — Matthew Horn, a software engineer from Boulder, Colo., canceled Christmas plans with his family in Texas. Nancy Sundin, a social worker in Spokane, Wash., has called off Thanksgiving with her mother and brother. Ruth Dorancy, a software designer in Chicago, decided to move her wedding so that her fiancé’s grandmother and aunt, strong Trump supporters from Florida, could not attend.

The election is over, but the repercussions in people’s lives may be just beginning as families across the United States contemplate uncomfortable holidays — or decide to bypass them — and relationships among friends, relatives and spouses are tested across the political divide.

Democrats have dug in their heels, and in some cases are refusing to sit across the table from relatives who voted for President-elect Donald J. Trump, a man they say stands for things they abhor. Many who voted for Mr. Trump say it is the liberals who are to blame for discord, unfairly tarring them with the odious label of “racist” just because they voted for someone else.

I hope everybody Had a Great Holiday
    Have a Great Friday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi,
    I posted, or at least thought I did. But, I think I typed, and Ted arrived, and I'll bet I never 'posted my reply'...
    So, hope you've had wonderful meals, and everybody is stuffed!!! Ted and I ate well at Jack and Jenn's home. We had visiting time on the porch, while the turkey breast finished in the smoker, and everybody had fun.
    Ed, loved the pix....for sure you were well fed, as was Lilo. I'm not sure I'd ever seen a pix of her....she's beautiful!!!
    Roger, hope you had a great day as well...Did you try cooking the sun chokes?
    Who posted 'The Bird is the Word?' Its been in my head ALL day long! LOL!!!

I'm tired now, and its time to remove the cold pack from my sore back, so I'll see you all in the morning....
    Later...

Hi Valerie
    Wait for it, I know this one, The Trashmen - Surfing Bird (1963) on Dick Clark's show.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GizTr6QLfc

The food was great, Home Cooked everything. Well except for the Pumpkin Pies :( I just put them back in the Oven. Despite bring cooked sitting on baking pans the crust is near raw on the bottom so back they go. Wish me luck :)

Good that You had a Great Visit.

I know I have done silly things and killed a long post.

I hope Your back is OK today
    Roger
    Leemom3 wrote: »
    End of the evening Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Yes...I overdid the evening (which truly is not typical of me). No one item was in excess, but the evening as a whole was. Back to the reality tomorrow.
    Lee-Ann

Hi Lee-Ann
    If I said I suspect ell of us overdid the eating in some manner or other, The only trick is to make sure it was a one day thing and get back on plan until Christmas.

Have a Nice Day & upcoming Weekend
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good Black Friday non shopping day to all!!!
    I've slept in, had my cup of coffee, and now a cup of Green Tea, lots of computer time, still in my jammies! LOL!!
    Going to head to the kitchen eventually, and make myself some mushroom gravy. Will be good on, well, everything! Also going to make the Faux Sausage Stuffing, and maybe, maybe a chocolate mousse, or may wait and do that tomorrow.
    I also want to make a blender full of Carrot Ginger Soup...its good, filling, and warming thanks to the ginger.

I think this is going to be a two meal day. Had my 'breakfast' about 1 o'clock...so dinner around 6 maybe 7 and I should be good for the day! I considered a run to Kroger, and changed my mind. There are plenty of things in the freezer, and enough greens for another day..so I'm good!

Roger, loved the conversation and logic to 'What to eat for Christmas'! You sorta baited me into listening to Bird is the Word again, sneaky fellow. No, I didn't listen to the whole thing! I've heard enough about the bird for one year...and it made me remember I forgot to listen to 'Alice's Restaurant' yesterday!!! OMG. I will get that done today, maybe while I make the stuffing. Er, Dressing? Can I call it 'stuffing' if its not stuffed? LOL! English is so much fun.

Hi Lee-Ann. There's a phrase for days like yesterday.....Just Resume! Yep, no recriminations, or guilt, etc...just simply resume. :) Easy Peasy!

I'm thinking I may go looking at shoes tomorrow at SAS. A bit pricy, but they are well made, and they hold up very well. (and I have this lovely coupon for buy one, second pair half off), still pricey, but worth it. And I may not...hmmm. Obviously I am not in great need, but its on my 'would be nice if' list.

Almost don't want to look outside. My wonderful neighbors blew the leaves out of my yard, and when Ted and I returned last night, the driveway was already littered with leaves from that very tardy maple tree. I don't know what got into it this year...like it has rebelled regarding leaf drop!

Everybody enjoy this day, stay warm, enjoy just relaxing, deep breathing, etc...I'm going to daily do my stretches, and hopefully, the chiro's estimate of 'when will this be better?', will be more like 4 weeks than 6. Monday I go back and will see my wonderful Chiro. The guy this week was a credible stand-in, but just not 'MY' chiro! LOL!! Can you say"prejudiced"? Yep!

Later...
  • RogerToo
    edited November 2016
    Hi Valerie
    I did not twist Your arm :)

The Turkey Portions for myself and the ones for my Brother (different sizes and types of Turkey) are now portioned out, Vacuum sealed and in the freezers. We both kept one portion out to use fresh Too.

On the Plus side I re-baked the Pumpkin Pies this morning and just had a slice, all of two inches wide at the crust end and it was delicious. I had passed on tasting it yesterday and then when my Brother mentioned that the crust was under done and displayed it I passed on it until the re-bake :)

I like that "Just Resume!" what a great way to look at it, Thanks

When I see SAS I think of SAS (previously Scandinavian Airlines System)
    http://www.flysas.com

Have a Nice Evening
    Roger
  • Leemom3
    Leemom3 Posts: 103 Member
    Good Morning All,

Such delicious discussions. Val - you are right: "just resume" makes sense. That is what I did yesterday. And when reading your post about Alice's Restaurant...I remembered that I forgot to listen to it on Thursday. Somehow, playing it from the computer whenever I want doesn't have the same...sound. Perhaps I mean...it doesn't evoke the same memories or emotions.

Roger, your talk about a vacuum sealer makes me think it is a good investment. I end of just freezing things in bags, but then I lose track of them (think: $ going into the trash). Maybe there is still a Black Friday sale today - on Saturday. I also am telling myself that I am trying to divest myself of anything that takes up space, as I am hoping to move in the next couple of years. So, unless it is smaller than a pair of socks and as useful, I am not sure I want it.

Ed, as usual, you have posted some delicious-sounding recipes. Thanks.

Enjoy the day all. Today is "Shop local Saturday," an effort to support local businesses. Is this done in your areas, too?

Take care,
    Lee-Ann
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    It was showing 46 degrees one whole degree warmer than yesterday. I only walked 6,932 steps on this walk.
    I was feeling better later in the day on Friday So I walked to the Dollar Store and Bought a Box of Blueberry Waffles and a box of Blueberry Pancakes and a quart of 1% milk, Use by Date of September 2017. I ended up over 10K steps on the return from that walk :)

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Leemom3 wrote: »
    Good Morning All,

Such delicious discussions. Val - you are right: "just resume" makes sense. That is what I did yesterday. And when reading your post about Alice's Restaurant...I remembered that I forgot to listen to it on Thursday. Somehow, playing it from the computer whenever I want doesn't have the same...sound. Perhaps I mean...it doesn't evoke the same memories or emotions.

Roger, your talk about a vacuum sealer makes me think it is a good investment. I end of just freezing things in bags, but then I lose track of them (think: $ going into the trash). Maybe there is still a Black Friday sale today - on Saturday. I also am telling myself that I am trying to divest myself of anything that takes up space, as I am hoping to move in the next couple of years. So, unless it is smaller than a pair of socks and as useful, I am not sure I want it.

Ed, as usual, you have posted some delicious-sounding recipes. Thanks.

Enjoy the day all. Today is "Shop local Saturday," an effort to support local businesses. Is this done in your areas, too?

Take care,
    Lee-Ann

Hi Lee-Ann
    The Vacuum Sealer keeps the foods fresh in the freezer without freezer burn. I do buy the bags Via Amazon as they are much cheaper there. They actually make a bag that is larger enough to take a 10" pie. We freeze any baked goods before sealing them. The Really large bag has pleated sides since it has to fit within the width that the sealer can do. I will say that their advertising is somewhat misleading as I do not think You can save as much money as they say :) At what the bags cost, especially if bought from them, it does not pay to shrink wrap 1/2 an Avocado like they show. An Alternative source for The Hardware and Bags is Bed, Bath & Beyond. Especially if You have their 20% or a $5 off coupons.

My Brother & to a lesser extent myself have been doing something similar. If it has not been used in a couple of years it most likely will not be used and out it goes. We do donate them to charity when possible however. The local Salvation Army Bin has benefited for example. Their are other organizations that take other things.

I Seem to recall Shop Local days in the past. I do not recall hearing about them this Holiday, OTOH yesterday I missed much of the news.

Have a Nice Saturday
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,227 Member
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday!

Most of the turkey has now made it to the freezer. I left a bit out for one or two more meals, today...and If I want some tomorrow I can get some back out of the freezer.

Dark meat in one big bag, to be shredded for barbecue sandwiches at some future point. Light meat in mostly serving size packets, though one or two are larger, for making turkey noodle soup or turkey and dumplings...using the leftover turkey aspic from the pan drippings, which is also in the freezer!

Lilo helped with the cleanup and storage, by eating all the turkey crumbs I scraped onto a paper plate for her.

There is still some ham to be consumed, in addition to some stuffing, but ham is cured meat, and the stuffing is vegetarian so I feel safe going past the three day mark on those items. I did eat some ham for breakfast, before starting my packing and freezing binge.

Some of the giblet gravy will just have to go down the disposal, after I am sure I'm finished with it, as corn starch thickened gravies will separate if frozen, so probably this evening, as there is more than I think I will consume, it will be goodbye for the rest. I didn't deliberately make too much, it was just that the amount made from all the giblets and the broth and milk was more than enough. I didn't even make the brown gravy I usually make, because I didn't need any more gravy (or have anywhere to put it).

With my "usual" Thanksgivings of late, there is no giblet gravy as I am not buying a whole bird, with giblets...but just a boneless turkey breast, so I have been having just brown turkey gravy, which is fine, as I like either gravy. In one sense, making giblet gravy (and discovering I could still successfully pull that off, from scratch) was an EXTRA SPECIAL treat for me this year. And unless I get a free turkey next year, it may be a while before I make giblet gravy again.

I'm so glad I only had one large sweet potato...it's all gone now. I like sweet potato but only in small batches and not too often...

Some of the gingered cranberry and kumquat relish may be frozen too. I'll think about that. It's not hard to make at all, but still hate to waste any of it. Another recipe that makes SO MUCH more than I'm likely to use by myself.

Half a pumpkin pie left. But it IS no-sugar added, and made from a real pumpkin that I cooked. I think I will finish that off. J did have one slice but he's not really much into pumpkin pie. I'll make him a pecan pie sometime after he finishes the chocolate cake I made yesterday, at his request. Or I may wait and see if he brings one (or two) made by his mother after Christmas...but he does like pecan pie. I HAVE, in the past, made that without added sugar but using maltitol sweetened syrup is risky as far as possible...digestive issues if one eats more than a few bites. It works, but if I am only going to eat a few bites, it might as well be the real thing, and I make a killer maple pecan pie. So I'll eat one or two, very thin, slices and J can have most of the pecan pie when I make it.

Now...what to do with the rest of this head of celery???

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• GardenKatGardens
    Soup Ed....celery soup. Made with potato, dairy, broth, and will taste delicious this coming week when it is RAINING outside. (and they have my hopes up....so it better rain!)
    I'm making soup today...just not sure which soup! I have these lovely carrots...
    I put celery in my big salads at lunch. Or dippers along with cucumber chips (rounds) with the hummus I also intend to make. I've been wanting some since the Sabra recall...sick, I know.

My sausage stuffing was very good yesterday, and my mushroom/onion gravy..added some green beans and had a nice feast yesterday evening.

I also forgot, (?) to put together my door wreath...or to set the 'desk top fake tree' on my desk. I was busy making stuffing, and watching the Flyers play hockey...the last two minutes of that game were nail biters! WOW! Then I watched Nebraska football, poor little used TV got some air time!!, and I got nothing done. SOOO, today I have a thing or three to do.

Roger, glad you're feeling better. I have to agree about the food saver...I don't use mine as often as I should, but they are great for freezer stuff...and if you don't eat a lot of avocado, or a pricy cheese, etc. they would be worth the cost. For everyday storage, no...not cost effective..

Breakfast is next item on my list. I woke last night, and came out to the kitchen for something, and was then 'awake'...I spent 2 hours laughing over the Obama/Biden memes. There are some seriously funny ones! Anyhow, I did go back to sleep, and of course then it was late when I woke again.

Ok....later...

• parityanimal
    Celery soup is definitely an idea. Never had it but might be worth a try, and doesn't look difficult to make.

It occurs to me I could also just clean it, chunk for inclusion in my next pot roast, or dice small for inclusion in turkey noodle soup or just turkey and noodles, and freeze it...I don't mind a little celery in any of those scenarios, though I won't go out and buy it just for those purposes. It's one of those "take it or leave it" veggies for me. If it's there, I'll eat it, but I won't go out of my way to get it, except sometimes for Thanksgiving...which is probably the ONLY TIME in the entire year I might deliberately buy celery, as I am just fine without it in my stuffing most of the year, and the same with pot roast, or poultry and noodles...won't go out of my way to include it but won't complain if it's there, as long as it's well done and not too stringy.

J doesn't care much for celery either, so it's not something we generally have around.

• GardenKatGardens
    edited November 2016
    Funny how we all have our own tastes! I almost always have celery. Like it in soups, braised, raw in my salads etc.
    Celery is an excellent source of vitamin K and molybdenum. It is a very good source of folate, potassium, dietary fiber, manganese and pantothenic acid. Celery is also a good source of vitamin B2, copper, vitamin C, vitamin B6, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and vitamin A (in the form of carotenoids) All of that for only 6 calories a stalk or stick or whatever you choose to call it! :)
    On the other hand, and I can't recall what right now, but you enjoy a few veg. that aren't exactly my favs!! LOL!!!

Dinner tonite was another serving of the sausage dressing, smothered in the onion mushroom gravy, and steamed broccoli, and a fake piece of chicken patty....and yet to come? Chocolate Mousse! The simplest dessert ever made! I used ⅓ cup of silken tofu in my carrot soup this morning, and so I took the rest of the package, dumped it, Hershey's cocoa, a bit of vanilla and medjool dates in my ancient food processor, and zip! a smooth chocolate mousse! Its in the refrig chilling, and I may top with some toasted nuts, or maybe some flaked coconut, etc... Hungry yet? :)

Got those leaves pretty much blown into the woods. I didn't get too particular with them, just wanted the water to be able to run off when it rains next week. Made my back ache, and I was only out there 25-30 minutes. I think maybe I shouldn't have! I iced it when I came in, and just had my Aleve with dinner. Will warm it for a few minutes at bed time, and do some light back stretches....and hope for the best for tomorrow!

The processor is in the drain basket, and will soon after Mousse make a nice big container of hummus! (that's for tomorrow when I'm just wanting to snack)

Have about 2 hours of a summit on gut flora and autoimmune diseases...you know the 'fun' bunch...diabetes, heart disease, lupus, rheumatoid arthur, celiac disease, etc. Most interesting work going on in that field. After I finish that, I will be more than ready to go to bed! :)

Later...
    PS, hope you like the celery as soup.
  • RogerToo
    edited November 2016
    Hi
    It was showing 37 degrees a bit cooler than yesterday. I walked 8,909 steps + 1 Cent. I ended up with 10,022 steps yesterday and too much Thai food. The scale was not happy with me this morning. Now I have to resume and get rid of that extra weight :(

The only left overs I plan to eat are the Turkey breast that I broke down into two day packages of 4.5 Ounces Plus or minus a little. According to http://www.ohpoultry.org/fastfacts/docs/nutrition/Turkey nutrition facts.pdf
    a 3 ounce portion is 120 calories so the 2.25 ounce portion of it will be a good Power Fuel.
    Turkey Nutrition Facts
    A three-ounce serving of boneless, skinless turkey breast contains 26 grams of protein,
    one gram of fat and 0 grams of saturated fat.

A skinless turkey breast has eight percent more protein than the same size serving of
    boneless skinless chicken breast or trimmed top loin beefsteak

I have done most of today's goal, I did my walk and went a little further than usual and am nearly ready to go finish my spread out Breakfast. Banana before the walk, Protein Shake after and in a little while a Sunday treat, a NS Frozen Cinnamon Roll to finish my breakfast :)

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger
    L435vH.gif

5kgiIV.gif
    Close Call Indeed :)

qVamSE.png

6C17lV.jpg

zSW0Y7.gif
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday!

Most of the turkey has now made it to the freezer. I left a bit out for one or two more meals, today...and If I want some tomorrow I can get some back out of the freezer.

Dark meat in one big bag, to be shredded for barbecue sandwiches at some future point. Light meat in mostly serving size packets, though one or two are larger, for making turkey noodle soup or turkey and dumplings...using the leftover turkey aspic from the pan drippings, which is also in the freezer!

Lilo helped with the cleanup and storage, by eating all the turkey crumbs I scraped onto a paper plate for her.

There is still some ham to be consumed, in addition to some stuffing, but ham is cured meat, and the stuffing is vegetarian so I feel safe going past the three day mark on those items. I did eat some ham for breakfast, before starting my packing and freezing binge.

Some of the giblet gravy will just have to go down the disposal, after I am sure I'm finished with it, as corn starch thickened gravies will separate if frozen, so probably this evening, as there is more than I think I will consume, it will be goodbye for the rest. I didn't deliberately make too much, it was just that the amount made from all the giblets and the broth and milk was more than enough. I didn't even make the brown gravy I usually make, because I didn't need any more gravy (or have anywhere to put it).

With my "usual" Thanksgivings of late, there is no giblet gravy as I am not buying a whole bird, with giblets...but just a boneless turkey breast, so I have been having just brown turkey gravy, which is fine, as I like either gravy. In one sense, making giblet gravy (and discovering I could still successfully pull that off, from scratch) was an EXTRA SPECIAL treat for me this year. And unless I get a free turkey next year, it may be a while before I make giblet gravy again.

I'm so glad I only had one large sweet potato...it's all gone now. I like sweet potato but only in small batches and not too often...

Some of the gingered cranberry and kumquat relish may be frozen too. I'll think about that. It's not hard to make at all, but still hate to waste any of it. Another recipe that makes SO MUCH more than I'm likely to use by myself.

Half a pumpkin pie left. But it IS no-sugar added, and made from a real pumpkin that I cooked. I think I will finish that off. J did have one slice but he's not really much into pumpkin pie. I'll make him a pecan pie sometime after he finishes the chocolate cake I made yesterday, at his request. Or I may wait and see if he brings one (or two) made by his mother after Christmas...but he does like pecan pie. I HAVE, in the past, made that without added sugar but using maltitol sweetened syrup is risky as far as possible...digestive issues if one eats more than a few bites. It works, but if I am only going to eat a few bites, it might as well be the real thing, and I make a killer maple pecan pie. So I'll eat one or two, very thin, slices and J can have most of the pecan pie when I make it.

Now...what to do with the rest of this head of celery???
    Hi Ed
    We broke down the Turkey and except for what was planned for the day we packetized and Vacuum sealed the leftovers. We did 1 day packets of Dark meat for my Brother and two day packets of Turkey Breast for me. That Way I can pull it from the freezer, Eyeball 1/2 and it is ready to go. I can shred it for Turkey Salad or Use it in a sandwich.

We never have enough Gravy to freeze :)

Most everything is eaten or frozen which is good as that makes room in the refrigerator again.

I love a Good pecan Pie

Have a Nice Sunday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Soup Ed....celery soup. Made with potato, dairy, broth, and will taste delicious this coming week when it is RAINING outside. (and they have my hopes up....so it better rain!)
    I'm making soup today...just not sure which soup! I have these lovely carrots...
    I put celery in my big salads at lunch. Or dippers along with cucumber chips (rounds) with the hummus I also intend to make. I've been wanting some since the Sabra recall...sick, I know.

My sausage stuffing was very good yesterday, and my mushroom/onion gravy..added some green beans and had a nice feast yesterday evening.

I also forgot, (?) to put together my door wreath...or to set the 'desk top fake tree' on my desk. I was busy making stuffing, and watching the Flyers play hockey...the last two minutes of that game were nail biters! WOW! Then I watched Nebraska football, poor little used TV got some air time!!, and I got nothing done. SOOO, today I have a thing or three to do.

Roger, glad you're feeling better. I have to agree about the food saver...I don't use mine as often as I should, but they are great for freezer stuff...and if you don't eat a lot of avocado, or a pricy cheese, etc. they would be worth the cost. For everyday storage, no...not cost effective..

Breakfast is next item on my list. I woke last night, and came out to the kitchen for something, and was then 'awake'...I spent 2 hours laughing over the Obama/Biden memes. There are some seriously funny ones! Anyhow, I did go back to sleep, and of course then it was late when I woke again.

Ok....later...
    Hi Valerie
    The Celery Soup sounds tasty.

We have a soaker rain forecast for Tuesday afternoon into Wednesday and possibly left over showers Thursday. They think it will make a dent int 9 to 12" depending on location rain shortfall.

It sounds as if You had a Good Day too.
    Funny how we all have our own tastes! I almost always have celery. Like it in soups, braised, raw in my salads etc.
    Celery is an excellent source of vitamin K and molybdenum. It is a very good source of folate, potassium, dietary fiber, manganese and pantothenic acid. Celery is also a good source of vitamin B2, copper, vitamin C, vitamin B6, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and vitamin A (in the form of carotenoids) All of that for only 6 calories a stalk or stick or whatever you choose to call it! :)
    On the other hand, and I can't recall what right now, but you enjoy a few veg. that aren't exactly my favs!! LOL!!!

Dinner tonite was another serving of the sausage dressing, smothered in the onion mushroom gravy, and steamed broccoli, and a fake piece of chicken patty....and yet to come? Chocolate Mousse! The simplest dessert ever made! I used ⅓ cup of silken tofu in my carrot soup this morning, and so I took the rest of the package, dumped it, Hershey's cocoa, a bit of vanilla and medjool dates in my ancient food processor, and zip! a smooth chocolate mousse! Its in the refrig chilling, and I may top with some toasted nuts, or maybe some flaked coconut, etc... Hungry yet? :)

Got those leaves pretty much blown into the woods. I didn't get too particular with them, just wanted the water to be able to run off when it rains next week. Made my back ache, and I was only out there 25-30 minutes. I think maybe I shouldn't have! I iced it when I came in, and just had my Aleve with dinner. Will warm it for a few minutes at bed time, and do some light back stretches....and hope for the best for tomorrow!

The processor is in the drain basket, and will soon after Mousse make a nice big container of hummus! (that's for tomorrow when I'm just wanting to snack)

Have about 2 hours of a summit on gut flora and autoimmune diseases...you know the 'fun' bunch...diabetes, heart disease, lupus, rheumatoid arthur, celiac disease, etc. Most interesting work going on in that field. After I finish that, I will be more than ready to go to bed! :)

Later...
    PS, hope you like the celery as soup.

Interesting about the Celery Nutrition, I never thought of it as having much.

Good Luck With Your Back
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! Finished off the ham for breakfast. Still some pie left and some of the broccoli rice cheese casserole, but that's about all that's left in the refrigerator. Plenty of turkey in the freezer, along with aspic, the turkey gravy "starter" that came with the bird, and some cranberry relish. I can think of things to do with the turkey, over the next few months. Soups and noodle dishes come immediately to mind.

I've cleaned and chopped the rest of that head of celery this morning and frozen it. Two branches cut into fairly large chunks for possible pot roast use, and the rest finely diced for "whatever" which could include cream of celery soup (I found a recipe that doesn't call for potato!), turkey or chicken noodle soup, or other poultry dishes, OR just about any cajun dish, as they pretty much all call for the holy trinity of Cajun food, celery, onion, and bell pepper. I usually have the onion and bell pepper on hand anyway, so having some frozen, pre-diced celery could come in handy if Eduardo gets in a Cajun mood.

The remaining refrigerated turkey was consumed yesterday, and the ham finished off this morning for breakfast. The refrigerator has SPACE again! A little of the cranberry relish did make it to the freezer. It can go nicely with some chicken, turkey, or pork roast later on.

I think I'll give Thanksgiving a rest now for at least a few days before Eduardo has to come up with some interesting things to do with what's left over in the freezer, turkey and broth-wise.

Dishes are cleared. Need to get the garbage and recycles out to the curb for tomorrow's pick up, and possibly do some laundry.

Eduardo DID make the broccoli sauté for J's dinner last night, served with some of the leftover broccoli rice cheese casserole. J can have the rest of that casserole with the leftover sauté sometime today for a meal and Thanksgiving will have been banished from the refrigerator!

I'm going to sip this cup of tea now, and when it's finished, make another. Then maybe finish of more of the 1949 Batman movie serial, which will finish off all my old style Batman on disc. I have the Green Hornet serials and the Superman serial to go yet on old movie serials.

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    edited November 2016
    Sigh...I guess I can't quite get away from turkey yet. Eduardo snuck some of the light meat out of the freezer, along with the unused gravy starter that came with the bird, small diced the turkey, cooked some medium noodles, stirred that all together with some of the small diced celery and has a turkey noodle casserole topped with parmesan and Italian spiced bread crumbs in the oven, almost done now, just waiting for the topping to brown and crisp up.

I guess I'm having turkey for dinner again. ;) I might steam some broccoli for a side.

J is having the rest of the broccoli sauté and the last of the broccoli rice cheese casserole.
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday! Also CyberMonday.

Leftover turkey and noodles for breakfast. High of 67 today with 20% chance of rain. Supposed to meet someone at 1:00 at a Fourbucks...er I mean Starbucks for something orchid related, but since it's the Starbucks across from where I used to work, maybe J and I can have lunch at Olee's Kitchen, a nice Korean fusion food place, in the same parking lot as my Kroger.

90% chance of rain tonight! Woo hoo!
  • GardenKatGardens
    Good morning, she said quickly before heading to the shower.
    I am so excited about the rain that's coming our way Ed!! I can hardly wait!
    Chiro this morning, trip to Whole Foods Midtown after. Hope to find a big, fresh pan of Chicken Fried Tofu on the hot bar, and a container of Mushroom Broth. Then a stop at Costco for gasoline, a big container of spinach, baby disposable diapers to donate to the churches food pantry, and then home.
    A friend of mine sent a recipe for 'Carrot Osso Buco' that I can't wait to my (hence the mushroom broth... and her link to Food and Wine led to quite a few other good sounding vegan recipes! I'm excited...new food dishes to try!

I used to make Turkey Tetrazzini with leftover bird from Thanksgiving. :) Had a recipe that included white wine, and other 'delectables' which gave it a bit of unexpected 'kick'.

Later...